Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Ya they got Bungied. No wait they got Rare'd. No wait they got Nokia'd.

we're probably about to learn that they got mojang'd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

they got two incredible games out of that original team, and everyone on the first team got a massive pay day so likely were happy to just go do their own thing after a while

pram
Jun 10, 2001
halo 2 was poo poo

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

graph posted:

the people at bungie at the time halo came out were amazing, amazing loving programmers with amazing management. then we all saw what happened

multiple levels in the original game were cut and pasted

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

MS consultants are recommending us a 2 DC controller for a 150k corporate AD with a known hostile internal network, no RODCs, no branch cache, no multiple site replication topology and we're paying them a poo poo ton of money for the recommendation and consulting and I want to loving kill somebody right now

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

sounds like another

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Smythe posted:

imagine being such a retard that u thot halo was better than tribes. holy poo poo. its unfathomable

sorry no dogs or fish AI in halo.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

just saying that in reply to your whole rant.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

hobbesmaster posted:

they got two incredible games out of that original team, and everyone on the first team got a massive pay day so likely were happy to just go do their own thing after a while

they broke away from ms and are doin their own stuff now yeah

the did 'destiny' or w/e

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

yeah but a bunch of people left and a bunch more stayed at MS to keep making halo

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Beeftweeter posted:

sounds like another

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

uncurable mlady posted:

rip bungie

remake myth

actually there's no need, project magma exists so you can play the Best Video game Ever Made on modern computers now

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i want to kill whoever it is that runs aleph one and refuses to add mouselook because that would make his perfect video game for loving CASUALS

like people add it in and he yanks it out and leaves angry messages on the mailing list telling people to stop adding mouselook because aleph one will never support mouselook

i think it was aleph one anyway, maybe it was another sourceport

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

bungie let a dude publish marathon 1 and 2 on iPhone for free

you can pay for HD textures and cheats or something

but it hasn't been updated since 2013 :(

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
halo 1 pc allowed you to play online with a LINUX ISO game, really enjoyed that

pram
Jun 10, 2001
wasnt halo 1 pc supremely hosed up when it was first released

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

Luigi Thirty posted:

i want to kill whoever it is that runs aleph one and refuses to add mouselook because that would make his perfect video game for loving CASUALS

like people add it in and he yanks it out and leaves angry messages on the mailing list telling people to stop adding mouselook because aleph one will never support mouselook

i think it was aleph one anyway, maybe it was another sourceport

lmao wtf

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

I spent so much time in middle school playing marathon. it's was a really well done game.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

pram posted:

I don't know. I don't think so.

halo 2 on the other hand. it required Vista, had a limited selection of resolutions, and of course used games for windows live.

it was the last good way to play halo multiplayer though but of course Microsoft pulled the plug a few months before announcing the master chief collection which I hear is terrible.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
halo 2 on pc also came out when halo 3 was just around the corner, so even if their idealized feature of pc players fighting console players worked properly, no one on the xbox would have been playing halo 2 still anyway

pram posted:

it still came out for mac lol

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
they seriously took a game from 2004 and released it in 2007 as a vista exclusive because it required directx 10

and they thought it'd act as an incentive for people to get windows vista

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Phoenixan posted:

they seriously took a game from 2004 and released it in 2007 as a vista exclusive because it required directx 10

and they thought it'd act as an incentive for people to get windows vista

it was a dx9 game, actually

people have hacked it to get it working on xp

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
man halo 2's pc release was more hosed up than i thought

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Smythe posted:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... it all makes Sense now. Halo, a fail n00b game with like 2 guns, no cool skins in multi, and a fail rear end regen health thing was originally a MAC GAME! no wonder its so DULL and NOOB FRIENDLY. noob os -> noob game. WOW. FINALLY! Clarity.

smythe you are dumb

the re-gen health system was an energy shield and the cool part is the baddies had it too. so you could attack them, and they would hide behind something while their shield regenerated, then come at you again. because the AI was actually that good. so it was a pretty level playing field. you still had regular HP under your over shield to worry about, though.

you couldn't carry around 15 weapons in the game like in Turok or whatever. cause that makes no physical sense anyway. and it forced you to make decisions about what to equip and what to leave behind.

energy weapons damaged anergy shields more. so using the energy pistol first and then the assault rifle or pistol was a good choice.

i dunno maybe you prefer to spend hours in MS paint making your player skin which i believe is the PC gaming equivalent of sonic recolours?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
how the gently caress is this a thing:

with bing! up your sfc rear end

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
halo 1 pc had multiplayer on gamespy, which would be more notable if borderlands didn't do it six years later

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

PleasureKevin posted:

smythe you are dumb

the re-gen health system was an energy shield and the cool part is the baddies had it too. so you could attack them, and they would hide behind something while their shield regenerated, then come at you again. because the AI was actually that good. so it was a pretty level playing field. you still had regular HP under your over shield to worry about, though.

you couldn't carry around 15 weapons in the game like in Turok or whatever. cause that makes no physical sense anyway. and it forced you to make decisions about what to equip and what to leave behind.

energy weapons damaged anergy shields more. so using the energy pistol first and then the assault rifle or pistol was a good choice.

i dunno maybe you prefer to spend hours in MS paint making your player skin which i believe is the PC gaming equivalent of sonic recolours?

regenerating health is for n00bs and all the guns suck. :owned:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I didn't know poors could afford a Surface. I'm sitting on the bus directly across from two parents and a child in a pikachu cap (ears and all) using one right now...

Playing single player Texas hold em.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 18, 2015

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Chris Knight posted:

thats the version they offer to oems for free

although idk why you would buy a (k)NUC with an atom or a celeron

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Phoenixan posted:

man halo 2's pc release was more hosed up than i thought

this made look up halo 4's development (i never played it but obv. read that its a pos)

quote:

343 started with a staff of roughly a dozen people, but grew to nearly 200 through development.[87] Halo 4‍ '​s development team included former employees of more than 25 triple-A studios. Prospective employees could not be told they were going to be working on Halo 4. "We had people who we hired who hated Halo because of 'X,'" said Frank O'Connor, 343 Industries' franchise development director. "But what that really meant was, 'I feel like this game could be awesome because of 'Y input' that I'm going to bring into it. I want to prove it, and I'm passionate about proving it.

that could also mean that they were desperate for work and resented the product they were working on, leading to a substandard product. good reasoning there

quote:

Creative director Josh Holmes recalled that an "epiphany moment" that proved the team was headed in the right direction was early in development, when the team completed a section of the game that was "very traditional [Halo]". Despite positive feedback from testers, 343 Industries discarded the prototype as too traditional, but felt that it showed the team could work together.

ah, an epiphany moment: the game is coming along nicely! better scrap it

quote:

Microsoft once again partnered up with PepsiCo, having done so previously while promoting Halo 3.[13][133] In the United States players were able to earn double experience in Halo 4 by purchasing Mountain Dew and Doritos and then redeem product codes found on the packaging using an iOS and Android app game called Halo 4: King of the Hill Fueled by Mountain Dew

lol

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Phoenixan posted:

halo 2 on pc also came out when halo 3 was just around the corner

afaik bungie just intended to make "halo 2" which had all of the content that was released in halo 2 + 3, but microsoft made them split it up into two games so one of them could be impetus for people to get a 360

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Chris Knight posted:

Windows 8.1 Update 1 with Bing!

for Servers

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

quote:

During Spartan Ops' mid-season break, a free-to-enter Halo 4 tournament, titled Halo 4 Infinity Challenge, was launched by Microsoft in partnership with Virgin Gaming.

surprise twist: they were partners all along

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
while you nerds are sperging about video james, an ex-Microsoft designer tries to explain why they are backpeddling all of the Metro design elements from Windows Phone

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/windows-phone/3000/ex-microsoft-designer-explains-the-move-away-from-metro

tl;dr is windows phone has a lovely UI that is confusing to users and hard to navigate. the new strategy is copy iPhone and android. also 3% market penetration after 5 years is not a total failure.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

idg how halo 4 was that bad, it was just as much halo as anything that came before it

maybe the multiplayer was worse or something, only played the campaign

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

so the interface designed for phones, the one that ruined windows 8 (and 8.1 and 8.1 update 1 with bing) and will ruin windows 10, is unsuitable for phones but is still going to be all over the desktop

:thumbsup:

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i think it's just time to accept that no one at microsoft today actually knows what they're doing

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

quote:

I literally had to find ways to refer to common design patterns without referring to ‘the fruit company’ because I knew I’d immediately lose the argument. It was like the Cupertino version of Godwin’s Law … it turns out the design world (when it comes to interaction design) is similar.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

so the interface designed for phones, the one that ruined windows 8 (and 8.1 and 8.1 update 1 with bing) and will ruin windows 10, is unsuitable for phones but is still going to be all over the desktop

:thumbsup:
it turns out that windows phone was the one for nontechnical women and children, after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

carry on then posted:

idg how halo 4 was that bad, it was just as much halo as anything that came before it

maybe the multiplayer was worse or something, only played the campaign

the campaign was made by people who very clearly had no understanding of the enemy AI package they had inherited from Bungie and couldn't design any level geometry or enemy mixture to actually take advantage of what made the AI fun. it did finish with a QTE, though.

the multiplayer essentially threw away everything that made it feel like Halo multiplayer (controlling the map to get the power weapon/vehicle spawns was eliminated entirely, grenades because a precious scarce resource instead something so plentiful you use them constantly) in favor of a Call of Duty style model without any of the depth.

people who liked Call of Duty played Call of Duty instead, people who liked Halo stopped playing Halo 4.

• Locked thread