Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Space-Bird posted:

I really dislike star wars...but I'm with you 100% Is there any way for Marin to be able to shut it down? Didn't google try to build a bunch of housing in mountain view and get completely shut down? I don't think it was low income housing though...

I'm sure there's some way like zoning they could block the project.

Marin county is horrible, they also block the BART expansion back in the day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

etalian posted:

Every time I see this map I am shocked at how good BART was planned to be. Is there any hope of getting this some day?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

etalian posted:

Scale looks weird. Palo alto is down where Sunnyvale should be.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

VikingofRock posted:

Every time I see this map I am shocked at how good BART was planned to be. Is there any hope of getting this some day?

No. SF has a huge problem where there is no overriding mayor/city council for all of the urban area, but instead little pocket cities like Marin or Palo Alto of gently caress-you-got-mine and not-in-my-backyard rich fucks.

They block anything that would bring the plebs into their neighborhoods.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Of course we can't possibly treat this like a national food supply problem and call on Midwestern states to grow anything but corn and soybeans, either.

Why should farmers in the MIdwest have to change how they do things just because California is full of retards trying to grow oranges in a desert?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

VikingofRock posted:

Highly unlikely Marin, will block any sort of public transportation and also the area being built up over the last 40 years means new expansions will be insanely expensive to build.

A new expansion is planned to extend the line from east bay to san jose.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

-Troika- posted:

Why should farmers in the MIdwest have to change how they do things just because California is full of retards trying to grow oranges in a desert?

I think that this was already addressed earlier in the thread, but this is not to mention that a ton of food crops are either not possible or not economical for being grown in the Midwest due to the climate.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

-Troika- posted:

Good luck growing those oranges in the Midwest, dude. There is more going on than "farming in a desert". There is "farming in good soil in a climate that permits year-round production". You are not going to be supplying year-round fruits and vegetables from a truck farm in (say) Indiana. There are excellent reasons to rethink what is grown in the Central Valley, and how. Take the Central Valley out of production entirely, and either (A) fly them in from Chile/Mexico or (B) enjoy your canned and frozen fruits and vegetables between October and May.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Good luck growing those oranges in the Midwest, dude. There is more going on than "farming in a desert". There is "farming in good soil in a climate that permits year-round production". You are not going to be supplying year-round fruits and vegetables from a truck farm in (say) Indiana. There are excellent reasons to rethink what is grown in the Central Valley, and how. Take the Central Valley out of production entirely, and either (A) fly them in from Chile/Mexico or (B) enjoy your canned and frozen fruits and vegetables between October and May.

I love how some posters in this thread who don't understand agriculture very well think that farmers are mouth-breathing morons.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 18, 2015

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You guys are misunderstanding what I'm criticizing, namely "other states should have to do things just because California is full of fuckups", not "why can't people in the Midwest grow oranges".

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

silence_kit posted:

I love how some posters in this thread who don't understand agriculture very well think that farmers are mouth-breathing morons.

??? I grew up in a farm state, Indiana, I woke up to the fricking pork futures, and I have a pretty drat good idea what you can and can't grow in that part of the Midwest.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

??? I grew up in a farm state, Indiana, I woke up to the fricking pork futures, and I have a pretty drat good idea what you can and can't grow in that part of the Midwest.

I'm not talking about you--I'm talking about people in this thread who criticize farmers in California and elsewhere without having much of an understanding of what they do.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

silence_kit posted:

I'm not talking about you--I'm talking about people in this thread who criticize farmers in California and elsewhere without having much of an understanding of what they do.
Farmers are responding to incentives.

If water were not 70 times cheaper if you dumped it on the ground, farmers would dump it on the ground less. Sometimes this means more efficient farming, or putting actual pipes in the ditches rather than earth. Sometimes it means farming something different entirely. Those are both entirely reasonable changes that would happen if we fixed the incentives because, as you say, farmers are not idiots.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ShadowHawk posted:

Farmers are responding to incentives.

If water were not 70 times cheaper if you dumped it on the ground, farmers would dump it on the ground less. Sometimes this means more efficient farming, or putting actual pipes in the ditches rather than earth. Sometimes it means farming something different entirely. Those are both entirely reasonable changes that would happen if we fixed the incentives because, as you say, farmers are not idiots.

Yeah there's basically no incentive to make efficient use of water given the cheap rates.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

etalian posted:

Yeah there's basically no incentive to make efficient use of water given the cheap rates.

Except for the fact water is still a huge cost to farmers. And also that's ignoring the vast number of farms that received no cheap water for the last two years because they received no water at all.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The problem is definitely with saving endangered species, and not with how we give free reign to people with Senior water rights.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

RandomPauI posted:

The problem is definitely with saving endangered species, and not with how we give free reign to people with Senior water rights.

You need a name change to RandomCarly. :bigtran:

I'm sure the vast majority of farmers would prefer to get rid of the seniority system too.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Trabisnikof posted:

Except for the fact water is still a huge cost to farmers. And also that's ignoring the vast number of farms that received no cheap water for the last two years because they received no water at all.
Yeah, it's not a binary "care/don't care" thing, it's a "how much should I care" thing. This translates directly into how much dollar costs farmers are willing to pay in order to conserve. Because water is dramatically cheaper for farmers, it shouldn't be at all surprising that their decision about how much to invest in water savings is different from what it would be if, say, the subsidy was per crop grown rather than per gallon dumped on the ground.

This is what makes "use it or lose it" policy really silly, since it makes the cost of water free for some and really expensive for others. Make the cost of water reflect reality (or let people trade water rights more easily), and you'll start to see people conserve where it's cheapest to do so. Absent reasonable policy we'll keep seeing farmers flood irrigating while cities seriously debate regulations against herb gardens.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ShadowHawk posted:

Yeah, it's not a binary "care/don't care" thing, it's a "how much should I care" thing. This translates directly into how much dollar costs farmers are willing to pay in order to conserve. Because water is dramatically cheaper for farmers, it shouldn't be at all surprising that their decision about how much to invest in water savings is different from what it would be if, say, the subsidy was per crop grown rather than per gallon dumped on the ground.

This is what makes "use it or lose it" policy really silly, since it makes the cost of water free for some and really expensive for others. Make the cost of water reflect reality (or let people trade water rights more easily), and you'll start to see people conserve where it's cheapest to do so. Absent reasonable policy we'll keep seeing farmers flood irrigating while cities seriously debate regulations against herb gardens.

It's also driven by how it's easier to get the evil water wasting cities to conserve more, while agricultural is backed by big special interest despite making just a 2% contribution to the states GNP.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

etalian posted:

It's also driven by how it's easier to get the evil water wasting cities to conserve more, while agricultural is backed by big special interest despite making just a 2% contribution to the states GNP.

I was unaware the contribution to the GNP was the measure of how best to use water. If so, we should stop wasting water on natural flows because those add 0% to the Californian GNP.

Of course the big special interest groups in favor of natural flows will try to stop you, but that's just evil special interest groups, right?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Trabisnikof posted:

I was unaware the contribution to the GNP was the measure of how best to use water.

It's a pretty good measure for for-profit entities.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

computer parts posted:

It's a pretty good measure for for-profit entities.

By this logic we should be increasing the amount of water used in Oil & Gas extraction. It produces larger economic returns than just wasting it in rivers.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Trabisnikof posted:

I was unaware the contribution to the GNP was the measure of how best to use water. If so, we should stop wasting water on natural flows because those add 0% to the Californian GNP.
Free-flowing water is an important part of many tourist and recreation attractions - a sector which is a bigger part of the state's GNP than agriculture.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

FMguru posted:

Free-flowing water is an important part of many tourist and recreation attractions - a sector which is a bigger part of the state's GNP than agriculture.

Hmmm, mentioning economic concerns means you can only take this to it's logical extreme. It's either laissez faire Somalia or full communism. Choose one.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FMguru posted:

Yeah but we managed to have a tourism industry in California before the current allocation scheme gave 40-50% of California's water to natural flows, so if we stopped allocating as much to natural flows, why everyone could take as long showers as we like and only a few fish will suffer.

I mean, the point here is to have as little impact on cities and their growth right? Otherwise why would we be complaining about conservation measures in cities (while most ag users just get no delivered water at all)?

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 19, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The point, when poitning out that ag is just 2% of our GDP, is that cutting the profitability of the ag sector by reducing their water allocation will not have a significant impact on california's economy; at least not directly. It is not a blanket condemnation of the concept of agriculture.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

The point, when poitning out that ag is just 2% of our GDP, is that cutting the profitability of the ag sector by reducing their water allocation will not have a significant impact on california's economy; at least not directly. It is not a blanket condemnation of the concept of agriculture.

Not to mention the drought has been ongoing since 2002 and emergency reserves like groundwater only have a year supply:
http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/13470/20150316/california-has-only-one-year-of-water-left-warns-nasa-scientist.htm

Also due to great political leadership/ostrich in the sand response there wasn't any sort of full scale response over the last decade to prepare for the current crisis.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

etalian posted:

Also due to great political leadership/ostrich in the sand response there wasn't any sort of full scale response over the last decade to prepare for the current crisis.
Shrugging and assuming that things will work out for the best has been a pretty succesful S.O.P. for the last 150 years.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FMguru posted:

Shrugging and assuming that things will work out for the best has been a pretty succesful S.O.P. for the last 150 years.

Also no governor wants the reputation as the man who destroyed agriculture in central valley in the name of gay liberal environmentalist policies.

Just keep on pumping water to make almond milk for hipsters and the next administration can figure out a solution.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Trabisnikof posted:

I was unaware you were being deliberately obtuse, but thank you for disquieting that notion.

Leperflesh posted:

To be clear, we could still subsidize the hell out of agriculture if we wanted to because farmers are such important special political snowflakes. Just make the subsidy based on something other than how much water they use.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

ShadowHawk posted:

To be clear, we could still subsidize the hell out of agriculture if we wanted to because farmers are such important special political snowflakes. Just make the subsidy based on something other than how much water they use.
For example, we could subsidize their investments in higher water efficiency. But no, that would be too logical.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Problem is even if you could switch over to more efficient agricultural, it would take time, political and lots of money.

With only a year left in reserve at current rates there's not enough time to make a difference given how the total supply is already a critical level.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Trabisnikof posted:

By this logic we should be increasing the amount of water used in Oil & Gas extraction. It produces larger economic returns than just wasting it in rivers.

Are there undeveloped Oil & Gas fields in California that would be viable with more water? Do go on.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

computer parts posted:

Are there undeveloped Oil & Gas fields in California that would be viable with more water? Do go on.

Steam-injection is a great way to use a ton of water to get more oil out, and we already use it a bunch in California, so we could expand its use. Or just begin development of Monterey Shale and hope the most recent reserve estimates were wrong. Either way, I bet they'd generate more jobs per gallon or GNP per gallon than domestic use by poor people would, since apparently that's a useful metric.

The point I'm trying to make is, measuring the usefulness of water by the economic output of using that water is a dumb metric.

etalian posted:

With only a year left in reserve at current rates there's not enough time to make a difference given how the total supply is already a critical level.

Good news, the "1 year left in reserve" isn't accurate and the scientist who is quoted as claiming that is saying he never did:

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-0320-drought-explainer-20150320-story.html

quote:

State water managers and other experts said Thursday that California is in no danger of running out of water in the next two years, even after an extremely dry January and paltry snowpack. Reservoirs will be replenished by additional snow and rainfall between now and the next rainy season, they said. The state can also draw from other sources, including groundwater supplies, while imposing tougher conservation measures.

"We have been in multiyear droughts and extended dry periods a number of times in the past, and we will be in the future," said Ted Thomas, a spokesman for the California Department of Water Resources. "In periods like this there will be shortages, of course, but the state as a whole is not going to run dry in a year or two years."

The headline of a recent Times op-ed article offered a blunt assessment of the situation: "California has about one year of water left. Will you ration now?"

Jay Famiglietti, senior water scientist at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory and a professor at UC Irvine, wrote about the state's dwindling water resources in a March 12 column, citing satellite data that have shown sharp declines since 2011 in the total amount of water in snow, rivers, reservoirs, soil and groundwater in California.

In an interview Thursday, Famiglietti said he never claimed that California has only a year of total water supply left.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

etalian posted:

Can you please stop spreading this bullshit stat around? Numerous places have debunked it and the guy who the op-ed was based on said he said no such thing.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The 4th District Court of Appeals is due to rule on the legality of tiered water pricing this week. If the court upholds the lower court ruling, tiered water pricing will be illegal in Orange County, making it that much harder to cut water usage.

Unsurprisingly, the 4th District Court of Appeals upheld the lower court ruling.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
NPR spent a ton of time this weekend talking about earthquakes, past and future, in California. It looks like the US Geological Survey has the odds of a major earthquake (7.0+) on the San Andreas fault at 72% within the next 30 years.

Any interesting articles about how the state is addressing this?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Chuu posted:

NPR spent a ton of time this weekend talking about earthquakes, past and future, in California. It looks like the US Geological Survey has the odds of a major earthquake (7.0+) on the San Andreas fault at 72% within the next 30 years.

Any interesting articles about how the state is addressing this?

Mostly ignoring from a structural point.

Half of LA would collapse.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

At least the dreams of an anime neo-LA would be fully realized post-quake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

incoherent posted:

At least the dreams of an anime neo-LA would be fully realized post-quake.

Agreed.

No one is willing to take this sort of thing as seriously as it should be taken. Basically the best hope is that the government gets in bed with the insurance agencies again, and comes up with some sort of mandatory structural refurbishment program to line the pockets of the 1%. The Southeast has hurricanes, the Northeast has blizzards, the Southwest has drought, and the Northwest has earthquakes. It's the new normal.