Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
The Air Force is p. cool, and your not doing it right if your life sucks. T

pkells posted:

From the thread announcing Cody's AMA:

This might actually be entertaining.

When's this going down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Travis music festival bullshit is right outside my door. Are you serious. Also, some jackass ran through and beat on everyone's doors to tell them to move their cars, breaking at least one loadmaster's crew rest in the process. Not to mention any ATC controllers that are about to get on swingshift. :downsbravo:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I forgot you were at Travis too. Let me know if Smashmouth dies on stage.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm pretty sure the superintendent is going to force everyone in the dorms to attend even if we're off so will do.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010

Rythe posted:

Any chance one of you all has their A&P license and wouldn't mind dropping me a PM? I have a few questions.

Don't do it get a real education. Hope that helps.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Greataval posted:

Don't do it get a real education. Hope that helps.

I'm working on my electrical engineering degree now and just getting burned out on the course load. I figured I would see how hard the A&P is to get and maybe knock it out as another fall back plan.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
Are you 2a3xx or what?

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
Got to drive a

around our range doing donuts, drifting, and taking it off some sweet sand dune jumps responsible driving. So once every 4 months my job is fun. Then I went back to base, heard a certain nco open their mouth, and got sad again :(

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008

terrez posted:

...heard a certain nco open their mouth, and got sad again :(...

I feel like a lot of people go out of their way to make people hate being in the Air Force. It's like they enjoy making sure you have a bad day.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dead Reckoning posted:

They played all the smash hits from those Dreamworks movies they were hired for and that was it.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

They played all the smash hits from those Dreamworks movies they were hired for and that was it.

Maybe next year :(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Hamlet442 posted:

I feel like a lot of people go out of their way to make people hate being in the Air Force. It's like they enjoy making sure you have a bad day.

I'm convinced that's actually something that happens. What those people (probably) don't realize is how much they're hurting the entire organization in the process.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Godholio posted:

I'm convinced that's actually something that happens. What those people (probably) don't realize is how much they're hurting the entire organization in the process.

The more you suffer, the more it shows you really care, RIGHT?! YAAAAAAEHYEAH!

Forgive me, it seemed topical.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Greataval posted:

Are you 2a3xx or what?

I am a 2a6x6, at least the job has helped with the degree some because god knows the CCAF is just about useless for credit transfers for a good degree.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Larry Parrish posted:

Were they still thanking / supporting Tony Stewart like last fall?

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008

Godholio posted:

Once they realize how lovely they've been treating you, they tell you to suck it up and continue on, and call it resiliency.

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
My old roommate was a commander's exec over at one of the intell squadrons on Ft. Meade, so he had to sit across from the shirt's office all day. I guess she took a liking to him, and started to try and groom him into what she thought a great NCO was. The best nugget of wisdom he said she gave him was to, "look for reasons to your top workers in trouble. They shouldn't get special privilege just because they are doing their job well, and they need to be reminded that they are in the military."

Good times.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010

Rythe posted:

I am a 2a6x6, at least the job has helped with the degree some because god knows the CCAF is just about useless for credit transfers for a good degree.

A&P is really like a crew chief more than E&E unless you do avionics full time there is no in between either the mech will handle it or a avionics guy will run the wire. Its mostly crap work in aviation you can put around regionals making 30k a year or MRO sweatshops making 45k to 50k. It just comes down to did you really like the flightline because its exactly like that but no reflection belts.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Greataval posted:

A&P is really like a crew chief more than E&E unless you do avionics full time there is no in between either the mech will handle it or a avionics guy will run the wire. Its mostly crap work in aviation you can put around regionals making 30k a year or MRO sweatshops making 45k to 50k. It just comes down to did you really like the flightline because its exactly like that but no reflection belts.

Man screw that nonsense, I left the flight line as soon as I could and I am never looking back. Probably going to have to just suck up the course load over the next 8+ years and put a big dent in my degree course load.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
The only thing I'd snag an A&P for would be FAA inspector jobs.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

I loved my new job until they told me they were going ot make me directorate/wing CAG

lol

e: It's pretty shameful no one posted something about this yesterday:

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 19, 2015

a cloth map
Oct 29, 2011

No thanks. I'm a Government man.

Ckwiesr posted:

The only thing I'd snag an A&P for would be FAA inspector jobs.

Seconding this. You can pick up an A&P for free and if you're already on the line it's not so hard. Then you can roll right into an FAA job after you get out. I'm currently trying to pull this off. Don't want to be an ART forever.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

iyaayas01 posted:

lol

e: It's pretty shameful no one posted something about this yesterday:

I don't get it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Deathy McDeath posted:

I don't get it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doolittle_Raid

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Every once in awhile I read this thread and get really happy that I didn't re-enlist.

Next month will make 10 years of freedom. :toot:

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

a cloth map posted:

Seconding this. You can pick up an A&P for free and if you're already on the line it's not so hard. Then you can roll right into an FAA job after you get out. I'm currently trying to pull this off. Don't want to be an ART forever.

Don't you have to find somebody who is qualified to sign off all the necessary task to get credit for everything and how does that effect the test prep for the license?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Diego Garcia is loving tits, ermahgod. The commander's welcome guide states that drinking is a fact of life here and just be a goddamn adult. Day three I did a ten mile hike through the jungle with a bunch of Filipinos to commemorate the Bataan Death March, one of whom reminded everyone that "everyone forgets, the Japanese had to walk the whole time too!" :lol:

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010

Rythe posted:

Don't you have to find somebody who is qualified to sign off all the necessary task to get credit for everything and how does that effect the test prep for the license?

You just have to go down to your local FAA office and talk to a fed to get signed off. They have a list of military job codes that can get signed off. The test prep is a joke just download the A&P app take the test till you consistently score 80 and above. The practical is mostly a scam to take 250$ to 500$ out your pocket depending on which kind of fuckhead gives the test.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wild T posted:

Diego Garcia is loving tits, ermahgod. The commander's welcome guide states that drinking is a fact of life here and just be a goddamn adult. Day three I did a ten mile hike through the jungle with a bunch of Filipinos to commemorate the Bataan Death March, one of whom reminded everyone that "everyone forgets, the Japanese had to walk the whole time too!" :lol:

They've had a 5-level 1C3 slot like every cycle for a year and a half or so now... And my 24 months is up by next Janurary. Here's hoping. Losers keep telling me it's in the middle of nowhere but I'm like, the mission is dead slow and it's a tropical island. How retarded can you be.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Rekinom posted:

I used to fret about the corporate bullshit until I realized that it was absolutely voluntary. I put in the exact amount of effort I want to, and not a drop more. I advise young enlisted dudes to actively spend as much time at work furthering personal goals for once they get out of the military. Take CLEP tests, load up on gen-ed classes for an associate's, collect certifications, learn a new language. Be sure that the SNCO's get wind of the fact that you're doing this because then they'll think you want to be a fast burner.

Believe me when I tell you that never again in your life will you have as much freedom and untapped potential as the day after you get out of the military being a single man with (hopefully) no debt, no obligations, and an unused GI-bill in hand. The world is your loving oyster at that point. poo poo, even I'm jealous of that guy.

Meanwhile, everyone else your age is probably either loaded with college debt working lovely dead-end jobs, knocked up some girl and dodging child support payments while high on meth, or being an unemployed shitbag living in mom's basement.

This post didn't get enough love. I have followed this philosophy, but hosed up and made E5 and couldn't dodge responsibility anymore. TWO MORE YEARS TWO MORE YEARS

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
I want to do college and set myself up for when I get out but I also want to just sit on my rear end and play video games and watch tv. How else am I going to binge through 4 seasons of Game of Thrones and get caught up on season 5 so far?

Priorities

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008

smertrioslol posted:

This post didn't get enough love. I have followed this philosophy, but hosed up and made E5 and couldn't dodge responsibility anymore. TWO MORE YEARS TWO MORE YEARS

God, I wish I had followed that philosophy and had gotten out in '09. I reenlisted for some dumb rear end reason, then got married, had kids, and reenlisted again. I'm at that awful point where I have to stay in rather than get out. Like a hostage.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
How To Air Force:

1.Become actual friends with your supervisor.
2.Find something stupid and write a guide or manual for it. This is easy and makes you look awesome. Be sure to email it to people who don't need it but will see it and think "this dudes good"
3.Become an expert on one thing. Focus only on that one thing. If anyone asks you a question, tell them you're working on that thing. Other people will actually cover for you since you're the thing guy.
4.Volunteer to go to the PX every single time.
5.Get the gently caress out of the air force, take this guide to a real job, and you'll be an all-star.
6.Don't re-enlist. It's dumb.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

invision posted:

How To Air Force:

2.Find something stupid and write a guide or manual for it. This is easy and makes you look awesome. Be sure to email it to people who don't need it but will see it and think "this dudes good"
3.Become an expert on one thing. Focus only on that one thing. If anyone asks you a question, tell them you're working on that thing. Other people will actually cover for you since you're the thing guy.
5.Get the gently caress out of the air force, take this guide to a real job, and you'll be an all-star.

This is all great advice. Kadena got a tiny bit less lovely when folks found out I could do doc reviews.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

invision posted:

How To Air Force:

This. I'm a pretty terrible Airman in general but everyone thinks I'm great because I dig through our ancient service contracts and manuals to fix our lovely recorders or phones or whatever when they break. I also have the benefit of having a small shop and being on good terms with everyone in my chain till it jumps over to the DS.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

This is all great advice. Kadena got a tiny bit less lovely when folks found out I could do doc reviews.

lol

Still remember the first time I "did" a supervision doc review at KAF (at the time I had about 4 months experience of no kidding aircraft mx and had seen my first full set of 781s like 2 months before that)

*Flips through forms binder* "Yup, looks good guys"

(Chief found out about that and was like "Yeah from now on I sign off all the supervision doc reviews")

Also invision's list is some legit good advice if you are a junior airman, for real.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Definitely the most important things are #1 and #3 though. #1 provides you with top-cover on pretty much everything and will get you out of trouble more times than you could imagine. #3 will make you important so they won't gently caress with you. I took up programming random not-really-needed poo poo and made friends with my supervisors, and now I'm covered for any gently caress-ups. I put in my two-weeks notice at my civvy job and they offered me a 30% pay raise to stay solely because no one else can program.

I invented the poo poo that needed to be programmed, and it's not even that helpful.

invision fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 22, 2015

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you work in an agency that has its own contracted equipment that isn't serviced by Comm, then I guarantee there's a gigantic pile of paperwork nobody has ever read just waiting for some enterprising Airman to come in and write troubleshooting checklists for.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Greataval posted:

You just have to go down to your local FAA office and talk to a fed to get signed off. They have a list of military job codes that can get signed off. The test prep is a joke just download the A&P app take the test till you consistently score 80 and above. The practical is mostly a scam to take 250$ to 500$ out your pocket depending on which kind of fuckhead gives the test.

Thanks for the info, when I get out to NC in a few weeks, I will have to hunt down a FAA office and find that A&P app. Might as well knock out this license if it is easy, will probably look good for the promotion boats among having another fall back job option too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
I found that taking over a job from a totally incompetent shitbag and then doing the bare minimum makes you look pretty good too.

• Locked thread