Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Discussion of the war table artificially lengthening the game brings me to link this: http://youtu.be/GArkyxP8-n0 Extra Credits takes on the imperative of "humane design" and that devs should stop abusing players with Skinnerboxes.

Dunno how cruel or kind the war table may be but it seems relevant all the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
It's certainly relevant but I'm not sure to what degree the War Table is a skinner box. Most War Table stuff seemed to coincide with my general behaviour throughout the game of exploring for a bit before going back to skyhold to sell poo poo and get some new War Table missions going. It never felt like I was going back specifically to keep the War Table treadmill going though considering the huge amount of missions there, I can see how it might have felt like that for some people.

Overall I think the design of the War Table is flawed, no one enjoys timed content; though I'm struggling to think of a good alternative which would include all of the (quite good) written flavour text which shows that the Inquisition is doing a lot beyond what you see as the Inquisitor. But them I'm not a game designer. :shrug:

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I don't think there is anything wrong with the general idea of the war table as it's just delegating tasks to advisers like a leader would do. The problem is it's just some text, has no impact on the game and involves no roleplaying. Judgements have almost as little impact but are far more interesting.

Ideally you'd have an expanded version of the wartable that was more like a Total War campaign map where you'd commit forces and resources as well as dealing with diplomatic issues and it would all tie into conversation roleplaying through an influence of factional reputation and you could represent the diplomatic issues as dealing with envoys in the same style as judgements. Instead of power being an abstract it would be represented by your forces on the map. Agents could be special cards. I don't know how you'd manage to tie together a quest gated main plot and turn based war table but I don't see it as an impossible task and it would really flesh out the leader side of the game.

They spent who knows how much resources on trying to make Brutal Legend style third person RTS section which was a nice idea but could have been used to give us a proper wartable experience instead.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 16, 2015

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Carecat posted:

I don't think there is anything wrong with the general idea of the war table as it's just delegating tasks to advisers like a leader would do. The problem is it's just some text, has no impact on the game and involves no roleplaying. Judgements have almost as little impact but are far more interesting.

Ideally you'd have an expanded version of the wartable that was more like a Total War campaign map where you'd commit forces and resources as well as dealing with diplomatic issues and it would all tie into conversation roleplaying through an influence of factional reputation and you could represent the diplomatic issues as dealing with envoys in the same style as judgements. Instead of power being an abstract it would be represented by your forces on the map. Agents could be special cards. I don't know how you'd manage to tie together a quest gated main plot and turn based war table but I don't see it as an impossible task and it would really flesh out the leader side of the game.

They spent who knows how much resources on trying to make Brutal Legend style third person RTS section which was a nice idea but could have been used to give us a proper wartable experience instead.

poo poo, you could make an entire minigame out of it. Your forces that you gain by doing random doofy poo poo in completely useless zones would become more important if you had to keep forces in different zones to fend off attacks by the carta or Cory's forces (or Briala/Gaspard if you pissed them off during WEWH). The more forces in an area the less enemies you would come across as you gained control, and make control easier. Or something. Something other than the nothing that was given (Though given it's MMO roots I see why the war table was set up like that).

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Is the Jaws DLC worth it and is Amazon just insane listing it as Uplay or have I really missed out a lot this past few months?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I have two problems with the war table. First is that you can progress in the game to a point in a sidequest, then run up against a wall that forces you to wait a day because you can't progress without completing a war table mission and Cullen's busy for the next 18 hours. Second is that there are those gathering missions that take all of 15 minutes, and would encourage you chaining them together, but running back to the war table every fifteen minutes to requeue the next set of missions really breaks flow, and encourages you not playing the game and instead just waiting at the war table running missions over and over again.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Does changing the system time not work on consoles or something? Because I just move the clock forward on my PC whenever I really want to complete a War Table mission right then, or otherwise I just set some to run when I quit the game for the day.

Carecat posted:

There are a few that definitely have an impact on the game, such as the bridge-repairing one that opens up a new area on the map, and the ones having to do with Samson or Calpernia. That said, I wish there were more, and they'd have been way more fun with at least some kind of mini-game or roleplaying component to them.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Changing the system clock works just fine on PS4.

I liked that some of the War Table missions gave shoutouts to previous games, helping Aveline kick Sebastian's pious rear end out of Kirkwall was pretty sweet.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Stroop There It Is posted:

There are a few that definitely have an impact on the game, such as the bridge-repairing one that opens up a new area on the map, and the ones having to do with Samson or Calpernia. That said, I wish there were more, and they'd have been way more fun with at least some kind of mini-game or roleplaying component to them.

Then people would complain that they detract too much from the main game and they don't want a game within a game.

War Table is a good idea in theory, but way the times on the missions work doesn't in practical use.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
I never once turned ahead the clock or duped an item in 70 hours of playtime :getin:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I actually timed all the little 10-15 minute war table missions to when I was going to be running around Skyhold or Haven chatting with people or crafting, and then would fire off a longer one before heading out on a mission. My bigger issue was that most of the time I wanted to use Leliana to pull some stealthy poo poo and ended up going for less ideal options with the other two because she was always busy.

But yeah, loved the callbacks and references. A little multi-part text adventure where I help Zevran escape the Crows is exactly the kind of thing that makes me exciting when I see new war table missions pop up :)

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Once again this playthrough I spent way too long tooling around in Haven and listening to all the little conversations and now I'm at Skyhold it's again a disappointment that all of the Haven guys get replaced and have one line before never doing anything again.

I always get quite attached to Minaeve, Seggrit and Adan, they have a lot of personality for such small roles.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Oh God that is creepy.

I'm on my third play through as two-handed warrior champion - and I got to sass Solas AND punch him in the face for being a condescending pissant. Scratch that one off my bucket list!

Also wasted no time in sweeping up Cullen. After spending the whole loving game last time scaling Solas' prudish, disapproving chastity tower only to get a few virginal kisses and a complimentary face peel, it was nice to just jump right into things with the Commander. Maybe it's different because he's an Advisor and not a party member, and thus has no Approval scale?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

AnimeJune posted:

Also wasted no time in sweeping up Cullen. After spending the whole loving game last time scaling Solas' prudish, disapproving chastity tower only to get a few virginal kisses and a complimentary face peel, it was nice to just jump right into things with the Commander. Maybe it's different because he's an Advisor and not a party member, and thus has no Approval scale?

Yea - Josephine and Cullen are super easy to romance and because of that the romances feel very short. It just sorta happens!

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

hahaha this is great

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Any reason why I can't take cassandra and solas with me on Hakkon? I'm loading a save from the end of the game.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Any reason why I can't take cassandra and solas with me on Hakkon? I'm loading a save from the end of the game.
Uh, Solas leaves for good in that cutscene after the final main quest, Doom Upon All the World, and I'm assuming in your game Cassandra is off being the new Divine. You'll have to load from an earlier save.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If Cassandra got elected Divine go talk to her at her normal spot in Skyhold, you can ask her to come along

Edit: Also a screenshot from my last dragon fight

Yes, the stupid thing spent the entire fight half stuck in a rock.

grack fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 18, 2015

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
So there are three dragons with names that don't in English describe their surroundings or elemental type:

Kaltenzahn (ice dragon; German - cold tooth)
Hivernal (ice dragon; French - winter)
Vinsomer (lightning dragon; ?)

Where does Vinsomer come from, language-wise? I can't work it out.

e: I forgot the Mistral but that's French for a cold wind so she's in the club. It's just Vinsomer I don't get.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Sounds Swedish.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It's very close to "vinsorme" or "vinsormr," which would make it roughly "vine serpent" or "pasture serpent" in Old Norse. Vinland was the Nordic name for the parts of North America they explored.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Cythereal posted:

It's very close to "vinsorme" or "vinsormr," which would make it roughly "vine serpent" or "pasture serpent" in Old Norse. Vinland was the Nordic name for the parts of North America they explored.

Sounds like that's it. Thanks!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hey guys, two quick questions: Do I need to know the story from the other games to understand this one? And is combat really intricate and hard?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

blue squares posted:

Hey guys, two quick questions: Do I need to know the story from the other games to understand this one? And is combat really intricate and hard?

No and no (unless you choose Nightmare difficulty).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

blue squares posted:

The first game is good for world-building, but if you just go through the keep and get the voiced narration it pretty much fills you in on the gist of everything. The basic thing you really need to know is that some people are innately born with magic powers (mages) and that leads to a general fearby the populace; as such, mages are shepherded into places called Circles and watched over by Templars. Recently, the mages rebelled and broke the Circles.

That's pretty much the major world-building you need to know. You can read up on things like the Grey Wardens and the Blight, which puts more things into context, but not ultimately necessary.

Combat isn't overly difficult; the AI isn't amazing and there is a frustrating lack of customizable gambits, but for the most part you can control just one character and let the party do their own thing without too much trouble.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

grack posted:

Yes, the stupid thing spent the entire fight half stuck in a rock.

Why do you look like King Arthur from Monty Python?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Thank you for the responses! Downloading now

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I've run into a weird bug after putting almost 50 hours into the game since getting it 2 weeks ago. My mouse, for some reason, has decided to stop working in the game. It works fine in menus, but I can't control the camera or interact with anything with it. I believe I had something similar happen once before, which was fixed by turning off the overlay. I've tried everything I can think of to fix this, like alt+tabbing and switching to the controller and back.

I really don't want to have to play with a controller, so if anyone has any ideas on how to fix this I'd love to hear them.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Well I played Jaws of Hakkon and holy gently caress is that ever the most offensively unnecessary bit of quest-time padding. You know the one I mean. :dogbutton:

e: Also I saw that they finally fixed Flask of Fire/Thousand Cuts.

but i can still chain deathblows together for around 10k per FoF :getin:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Taear posted:

Why do you look like King Arthur from Monty Python?

Awesome helmet + awesome tinted armour

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

How much does the keep/tapestry stuff from DA:O or DA2 influence your DA:Inq playthrough?

I played DA:O way back when and dragonagekeep found details of my game. I never played DA2 so that's all set at, I dunno, default. If I export from keep and import that profile for DA:Inq will it actually make my Inq playthrough better? Will totally ignoring dragonagekeep limit my DA:Inq playthrough gameplay options in some way?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

pmchem posted:

How much does the keep/tapestry stuff from DA:O or DA2 influence your DA:Inq playthrough?

I played DA:O way back when and dragonagekeep found details of my game. I never played DA2 so that's all set at, I dunno, default. If I export from keep and import that profile for DA:Inq will it actually make my Inq playthrough better? Will totally ignoring dragonagekeep limit my DA:Inq playthrough gameplay options in some way?

The only real impacts from the keep are the fates of Alistair, Morrigan, and Loghain. There is some minor war table and aesthestics stuff depending on the fates of Connor, Anora, Zevran and Sebastian, but honestly nothing worth losing sleep over.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Just finished the game at about 60 hours in. Loved pretty much every minute, but gently caress was that the buggiest console game (PS4) I've ever played. Crashes, inability to start dialogue with some NPCs, game randomly stopping mid cutscenes in some pseudo normal interface/cutscene hybrid where nothing happened. Yeesh.

Then again, I've got AC Unity waiting for me now (got it on discount) so the best is clearly yet to come on that front.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Cozmosis posted:

Just finished the game at about 60 hours in. Loved pretty much every minute, but gently caress was that the buggiest console game (PS4) I've ever played. Crashes, inability to start dialogue with some NPCs, game randomly stopping mid cutscenes in some pseudo normal interface/cutscene hybrid where nothing happened. Yeesh.

Then again, I've got AC Unity waiting for me now (got it on discount) so the best is clearly yet to come on that front.

Its always a little weird how experiences can vary so much on common hardware. With over 160 hours logged across two characters so far, I've had 1 CTD, and 2 or 3 never-ending load screens, in terms of disruptive stuff.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

I did not make this

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So.

First playthrough and i'm at the Ball with Celene and stuff. Are there "good" results from just being an rear end about the "game" and getting a minimum of approval?
Also;

What party members are "interesting" to bring. I skipped Solas for the Abyss questline. And I regret that. Since im sure having him in the party in the fade would've been cool.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Affi posted:

So.

First playthrough and i'm at the Ball with Celene and stuff. Are there "good" results from just being an rear end about the "game" and getting a minimum of approval?
Also;

What party members are "interesting" to bring. I skipped Solas for the Abyss questline. And I regret that. Since im sure having him in the party in the fade would've been cool.

You will not get to unlock all the Halla statue doors so chose wisely. There is no more Vivienne amulet of power in Celebes safe, so only go in there of you're trying to save the empress' love life.

Sera has a pretty funny introduction and is actually pretty spot on about the bad poo poo that happens during the mission.

Solas actually kind of enjoys the game, which is a bizarre twist.

Blackwell has some interesting dialogue.

Varric is a whiny bitch the whole time.

Vivienne is less helpful than you'd think for an Orlesian ball.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 20, 2015

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
Solas' response if you ask him when he had a chance to go to court as an apostate mage is pretty hilarious as well.

I think you can actually get kicked out of the ball if your approval gets low enough, but I hate that quest and just speed through as quickly as possible on subsequent playthroughs.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Cole is disappointing because literally nobody sees him.

Sera gets some good potshots at the ball (especially her introduction), and has an optional quest to pick up a few Red Jenny stashes.

Cassandra hates everything Orlesian and would prefer to Iron Bulldoze the place down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

ApplesandOranges posted:

Cole is disappointing because literally nobody sees him.

Sera gets some good potshots at the ball (especially her introduction), and has an optional quest to pick up a few Red Jenny stashes.

Cassandra hates everything Orlesian and would prefer to Iron Bulldoze the place down.

Iron Bull is mostly concerned with the food being served, which I respect.

If you talk him into dancing with you, though, don't get your hopes up. Apparently that was too difficult to animate.

• Locked thread