Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cakebaker
Jul 23, 2007
Wanna buy some cake?

Poizen Jam posted:

Civ GoonPack 3: The Redux

Most of the thanks goes to the content creators, as well as Kyte for making this all work smoothly. I just put together the mods and hit compile.

Enjoy!

I keep getting errors for the new Civs with regards to textures not loading. Is there something I am missing? I just have the base game and BNW and this mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Cakebaker posted:

I keep getting errors for the new Civs with regards to textures not loading. Is there something I am missing? I just have the base game and BNW and this mod.

I had every official DLC Civ when I compiled this pack- I assume you would need the same. I didn't anticipate this however, my bad, and apologies that no fix will be possible.

+

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Cakebaker posted:

One or more of the mods is trying to load images and textures associated with DLC civs you don't have. At least that's what happened to me using the Enhanced UI mod before I bought the Inca DLC. I was still able to play once I closed the dialogue boxes, though i don't know if there's some other issue in the GoonPack that'll cause a crash.

Cakebaker
Jul 23, 2007
Wanna buy some cake?

Poizen Jam posted:

I had every official DLC Civ when I compiled this pack- I assume you would need the same. I didn't anticipate this however, my bad, and apologies that no fix will be possible.

Oh ok no worries.

Christo posted:

One or more of the mods is trying to load images and textures associated with DLC civs you don't have. At least that's what happened to me using the Enhanced UI mod before I bought the Inca DLC. I was still able to play once I closed the dialogue boxes, though i don't know if there's some other issue in the GoonPack that'll cause a crash.

Seems like the DLC Civs can be picked as random and if that happens the errors keep coming during the game.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Sorry, me am smart. This is a problem that started when I tried to install the custom goon mod pack as advertised (and with a couple other methods as well) but it goes back to normal if I remove the mod folder. Just a complete failure to launch with this pack. I have all the DLC. I really wanted to mess with new civs too :( .

edit: got it to work by following these instructions (got it wrong twice though!) http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=477763

Pile of Kittens fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 18, 2015

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Pile of Kittens posted:

Sorry, me am smart. This is a problem that started when I tried to install the custom goon mod pack as advertised (and with a couple other methods as well) but it goes back to normal if I remove the mod folder. Just a complete failure to launch with this pack. I have all the DLC. I really wanted to mess with new civs too :( .

edit: got it to work by following these instructions (got it wrong twice though!) http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=477763

My apologies- I shall update those installation instructions :)

Edit: Screenshots!!!

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 18, 2015

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Good news: I found a quick way to hunt down and comment out literally every console print and logger statement in the mod pack, and it goes a long way to keeping things running smoothly.

I think this is the main source of any slowdown experienced while playing the mod pack, and likely a major factor in late game resyncs. I noticed this after testing the Inuit. They have an ability which grants them tiles adjacent to their unique improvement- the Inuksuk- and this was causing my game to resync repeatedly. When I checked the lua log files, the thing was literally swamped with a print statement related to every check on every tile for every build inuksuk, easily printing 100 lines of console code. And they aren't the only Civ with such a problem! Deleting these print statements means bug-checking may be more difficult, but has significantly improved performance and stability from my quick testing. I may even be able to add a few Civs back in; I had previously removed Tibet due to this exact reason.

I will release a hotfix- and it should be compatible with any current saves you have.

Kyte posted:

If you give me the latest version without 3D and the latest version with 3D I can probably transplant whatever new things the latter has onto the former (3D leaderscene aside).

Must have missed this earlier- I may take you up on that offer soon.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 18, 2015

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
oh god Poizen Jam / Kyte help I finally started using the new modpack and I can no longer pick production for any city. Also clicking on the City screen triggers an essentially non-proceedable state.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I remember there was another fake dlc pack posted in this thread a while ago that had a bunch of cosmetic mods, nothing that changed the actual mechanics. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and have a link?

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Christo posted:

I remember there was another fake dlc pack posted in this thread a while ago that had a bunch of cosmetic mods, nothing that changed the actual mechanics. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and have a link?

Yeah, it was one I made, though I haven't updated it since the last version. If there's interest I can recompile it with changes made in the interim.

The link to it is here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/3r6d784pkir3a3w/QoL_Modpack_v4.zip

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Bogart posted:

oh god Poizen Jam / Kyte help I finally started using the new modpack and I can no longer pick production for any city. Also clicking on the City screen triggers an essentially non-proceedable state.

Are you using EUI?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Athaboros posted:

Yeah, it was one I made, though I haven't updated it since the last version. If there's interest I can recompile it with changes made in the interim.

The link to it is here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/3r6d784pkir3a3w/QoL_Modpack_v4.zip

Yeah, please do. I'd like it a lot!

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
Is beyond earth worth playing yet? If no, is it likely that an expansion will improve it to be worth playing or is it fundamentally bad?

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014
Re: Events & Decisions

It is currently a really bad idea to try using it in multiplayer games. Even if you overlook its tenuous balance for multiplayer, it currently has no means of sending a Decision or an Event option's choice through the network to other players. Desyncs are virtually guaranteed. I figured out a way it could be done, but it's up to sukritact to update the mod to support it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Serrath posted:

Is beyond earth worth playing yet? If no, is it likely that an expansion will improve it to be worth playing or is it fundamentally bad?

No, and maybe but I doubt there ever will be an expansion.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Serrath posted:

If you like playing Civ V, think a seamless total-conversion sci-fi mod would improve your experience, and you are imaginative enough as well as capable of suspension of disbelief in the pursuit of the enjoyment of a video game, then it may well be worth playing for you. Don't buy the game in its current state for anything more than 50% of whatever price they're asking for it.

Also, like the doctor said above, anybody who somehow believes in the BE Expansion is speculating in advance of data. I'm waiting to see if this mythical 2.0 patch which Firaxis claims is in the works is ever actually released; if it is, and if it's a significant improvement, then I would say there may be a shot at an expansion. Until then, nope.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
Great reply, thanks for the info

I'll wait for a sale :)

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Poizen Jam posted:

+

I bought the last few civ DLCs for this very reason.. But failed to realize that there was a DLC with three wonders, which I thought was just another dumb map pack. So now there are three wonders that can be built, but don't actually do anything, and they screw up the city graphics if anyone buys them, which the AI will with glee.

Piecemeal games are the worst.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

LonsomeSon posted:

If you like playing Civ V, think a seamless total-conversion sci-fi mod would improve your experience

I think "total-conversion sci-fi mod" is actually giving Beyond Earth too much credit. You'd expect a total-conversion mod to have the same number of features as the base game, but BE has considerably fewer features than Civ 5 (EG: World council is missing), and those that remain are often much simplified compared to their equivalents in Civ 5 (EG: Diplomacy is a shadow of what it was due to the removal of research agreements and luxury goods trading).

It would've been a decent contender to Civ 5 if it had been released alongside Civ 5, but it wasn't, and so it's not.

Gort fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Apr 19, 2015

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

THE BAR posted:

I bought the last few civ DLCs for this very reason.. But failed to realize that there was a DLC with three wonders, which I thought was just another dumb map pack. So now there are three wonders that can be built, but don't actually do anything, and they screw up the city graphics if anyone buys them, which the AI will with glee.

Piecemeal games are the worst.

Real sorry about that. My girlfriend and I both own the game with all DLC and Expansions- took it for granted I guess. I'll put a warning in the install instructions.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

flatluigi posted:

Yeah, please do. I'd like it a lot!

Ask and ye shall receive! New version up here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/0ognxo6m0o4ufb5/QoL_Modpack_v5.zip

Included mods:

pre:
	- Antiquity Sites Icon Finder (v.1): allows filtering the resources view to show only antiquities
	- Civ-Linked Great Generals (v.7): adds new great general names based on owner's civilization
	- Dynamic Culture Overview (v.6): reads culture from included mods (by request)
	- Expanded Civilopedia Entries (v.34): fixes typos and outdated information, explains mechanics
	- Gibraltar and Reef Optimizations (v.1): tweaks Gibraltar/reef placements to fix mapgen issues
	- Great Prophet Historical Names (v.30): gives prophets names in the fashion of generals, etc.
	- Historical Religions Edit (v.44): adds many new choices for religions
	- InfoAddict (v.22): adds interface elements that provide more information to the player
	- Krajzen's Great Musicians Pack (v.1): adds new great works of music for flavor
	- Krakatoa Fix (v.100): tweaks Krakatoa placement to fix some map generation issues
	- More Great Works (v.3): adds many new artist and writer great works
	- Quick Turns (v.10): automatically skips AI unit movement/combat based on player-set criteria
	- R.E.D. Modpack (v.28 unofficial): adds flavor graphics and rescales units based on civ
	- R.E.D. Smaller Landmarks (v.5): makes buildings/improvements scale relative to units
	- Unique Cultural Influnece (v.4): makes culture influence messages different by civ
As always, I'm open to suggestions for other mods to include. I'm only including things that don't (within reason) change base gameplay, so no new civs, policy alterations, or anything like that. Other ideas welcome, though!

EDIT: Updated slightly because I accidentally took out a file, making the QuickTurns UI element disappear. It's back in now.

Athaboros fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 20, 2015

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
New known issue:

CL Inuit and Suikritracts Khmer will cause repeated desyncs when used in multiplayer. Both Civs utilize a random number generated locally via a lua script instead of globally via map seed. This results in all clients receiving different different values for various calculations, resulting in a desync every time the random number triggers.

This issue will be resolved with the next update, 3.1, which will also contain major performance tune ups to reduce slowdown between turns. I have removed all console print statements, and plan to modify the lua scripts to make sure they only trigger when the particular Civ is in the game. Right now, certain lua scripts are triggering regardless if the Civ to which the script belongs is currently in game or not.

I will also attempt to implement Dynamic Culture Overview in the update. In the future I'll add 'Granary includes bison', 'mint includes copper', 'faster aircraft movement', and 'show move to'. Once that's all stable, I can take suggestions for new Civs. The modpack is currently 1.5GB however, so I will be conservative with Civ additions. I don't believe they're stable at 2GB and above,

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 20, 2015

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Athaboros posted:

Ask and ye shall receive! New version up here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/0ognxo6m0o4ufb5/QoL_Modpack_v5.zip

Included mods:

pre:
	- Antiquity Sites Icon Finder (v.1): allows filtering the resources view to show only antiquities
	- Civ-Linked Great Generals (v.7): adds new great general names based on owner's civilization
	- Expanded Civilopedia Entries (v.34): fixes typos and outdated information, explains mechanics
	- Gibraltar and Reef Optimizations (v.1): tweaks Gibraltar/reef placements to fix mapgen issues
	- Great Prophet Historical Names (v.30): gives prophets names in the fashion of generals, etc.
	- InfoAddict (v.22): adds interface elements that provide more information to the player
	- Krajzen's Great Musicians Pack (v.1): adds new great works of music for flavor
	- Krakatoa Fix (v.100): tweaks Krakatoa placement to fix some map generation issues
	- Quick Turns (v.10): automatically skips AI unit movement/combat based on player-set criteria
	- R.E.D. Modpack (v.28 unofficial): adds flavor graphics and rescales units based on civ
	- R.E.D. Smaller Landmarks (v.5): makes buildings/improvements scale relative to units
	- Unique Cultural Influnece (v.4): makes culture influence messages different by civ
As always, I'm open to suggestions for other mods to include. I'm only including things that don't (within reason) change base gameplay, so no new civs, policy alterations, or anything like that. Other ideas welcome, though!

Mods like these are the reason I still have no achievements, I just love the extra stuff and the historical immersion. I thought the great musician stuff wasn't possible with the game (because of copyright reasons but I guess I was wrong.
Some others that I think will work really well with this pack:
-Randomize city names: Your capital will always be the same name, but every next city name is chosen randomly from the list of names. Adds some nice variety.
-City states expansion: Adds a lot of city states to the game
-City state leaders: adds art and a name for city states, have only just started using it but the art style looked pretty decent and in line with the rest of the game.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

kanonvandekempen posted:

Mods like these are the reason I still have no achievements, I just love the extra stuff and the historical immersion. I thought the great musician stuff wasn't possible with the game (because of copyright reasons but I guess I was wrong.
Some others that I think will work really well with this pack:
-Randomize city names: Your capital will always be the same name, but every next city name is chosen randomly from the list of names. Adds some nice variety.
-City states expansion: Adds a lot of city states to the game
-City state leaders: adds art and a name for city states, have only just started using it but the art style looked pretty decent and in line with the rest of the game.

Agreed. That's the problem I had too.

I had Randomize City Names in the last pack, but took it out because I did like the "flavor" of having the most well-known cities appear first. I would enjoy it if there were a version that had "tiered" city names, where the first X number appear in random order, then the next Y number, and so on.

I haven't seen the others before, but I'll check them out too.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Athaboros posted:

Included mods:

pre:
Thanks again for doing this! I played quite a few games with one of your old modpacks and I felt it improved things dramatically.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Athaboros posted:

Antiquity Sites Icon Finder (v.1): allows filtering the resources view to show only antiquities

This is literally the best thing ever.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Peas and Rice posted:

This is literally the best thing ever.

Indeed. I'ma probably borrow that one for my own mod pack-

Athaboros posted:

Included mods:

EDIT: Updated slightly because I accidentally took out a file, making the QuickTurns UI element disappear. It's back in now.

Does Quick Turns work with multiplayer? I held off on implementing it in my mod-pack because I assumed, from its description, it would likely be problematic.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Hey Poizen, my friend and I played through a game with your mod pack, and I just wanted to let you know that we gave it glowing reviews. It was fairly stable, and there was only one crash which happened just three turns into the game. We reloaded the game and it was fixed, so perhaps it was a classic host/player file difference problem. There were more resyncs than usual, but nothing too bad. The new civs are a lot of fun, and the active AI definitely was noticed (in fact the game ended when I was backstabbed by my nearby AI buddy, who saw that my armies were out of position fighting their enemies).

I played the Phoenicians and noticed a couple issues with that civ, specifically that when I sent my Tyrian Merchant to a City State to create Tyrian Dye luxuries, the prompt came up for both myself and my friend. Also, in the Gold Income popup, the amount of money generated by their special ability (+5 Gold per Science generated for other players) is simply referred to as "TXT_TP_Phoenician_Gold", which means you don't really know how much income you're making from your trade routes.

My friend noticed that the Advisor was disabled, and that the tech screen continues scrolling to the right far past Nanotechnology. She also mentioned that Hitler was a great faction because she totally hated him and the war music was intense (it's Angry Hitler Speeches).

We're both looking forward to giving it another go. Thanks for the mod!

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Poizen Jam posted:

Does Quick Turns work with multiplayer? I held off on implementing it in my mod-pack because I assumed, from its description, it would likely be problematic.

Several of the mods in my pack are incompatible with multiplayer; I wouldn't be surprised if that was one of them. I know for sure that Historical Religions causes problems, and I agree that QT probably would as well, given how it functions. I don't play multiplayer (and haven't tested for it), but every once in a while someone will give it a shot and let me know what does/doesn't work. The mods in the pack are usually functionally independent, so you can "remove" one by deleting its folder and, if it doesn't hook too deeply into the core game, it usually won't throw errors.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Kaal posted:

We're both looking forward to giving it another go. Thanks for the mod!

Most of the thanks goes to the individual mod makers! I cannot take credit as author for any of them- just for the compilation pack. Unfortunately this also means certain fixes are not possible for me to do, but perhaps Kyte can look into that broken tooltip (TXT_TP thing) and the bugged dialogue pop up.

I'm currently testing 3.1- it will have significantly improved performance and a few bug fixes, and less crashes. Be careful with the old version in the meantime. The Inuit and Khmer Civs are bugged for multiplayer, and will lead to constant re-syncing every turn. I've fixed this issue. I'll be play testing this version tonight with my girlfriend.

The tech tree scrolling- not sure if I can fix that. Thankfully it's cosmetic. I suspect it's due to dummy techs. To make certain Civs UAs work, a mod maker will give them a unique tech at the beginning of the game, unseeable to anyone else. Sometimes this occurs with buildings too- it's a hacky workaround. As for the disabled advisor screens- very puzzled by this. I've never used them personally- and any information they may have provided is available through the InfoAddict menu (it's under the scroll button in the top right).

Thanks for the bug report!

Athaboros posted:

Several of the mods in my pack are incompatible with multiplayer; I wouldn't be surprised if that was one of them. I know for sure that Historical Religions causes problems, and I agree that QT probably would as well, given how it functions. I don't play multiplayer (and haven't tested for it), but every once in a while someone will give it a shot and let me know what does/doesn't work. The mods in the pack are usually functionally independent, so you can "remove" one by deleting its folder and, if it doesn't hook too deeply into the core game, it usually won't throw errors.

Holy poo poo you can do this?! I've been recompiling every time I wanted to check for mods crashing the pack. So many wasted hours.

Might not work for removing Civs though, what with the XML modding.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 21, 2015

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Poizen Jam posted:

Holy poo poo you can do this?! I've been recompiling every time I wanted to check for mods crashing the pack. So many wasted hours.

I suspect it's not a "recommended" way of doing things. I haven't checked in to how stable it is, but I know I've had some success doing this with some of the "lighter" mods (like InfoAddict). YMMV, I guess.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
On a whim I decided to install Civ 4 again and get back into that. Problem is: I've forgotten how everything works. Did we used to have a thread for it? I've got archives but searches haven't turned anything up.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Habibi posted:

On a whim I decided to install Civ 4 again and get back into that. Problem is: I've forgotten how everything works. Did we used to have a thread for it? I've got archives but searches haven't turned anything up.

Find whichever leader has Creative/Financial and just go to town with river cottages. If there's a nearby neighbor, tech bronzeworking, build ten or so axemen, and rush their capital (the best World Wonders, in terms of hammer investment, are capital cities). Then just tech and get your economy in order and soon enough you'll be able to do whatever you want, more or less.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Habibi posted:

Just play Fall from Heaven 2. That's all you really need!

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Athaboros posted:

Just play Fall from Heaven 2. That's all you really need!

Is there a thread for that? Because I just read the mod description on their site and holy :stare:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Athaboros posted:

Included mods:

pre:

Thanks!
It's been a while, can someone remind me how to install this so I can play it with achievements enabled?

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

flatluigi posted:

Thanks!
It's been a while, can someone remind me how to install this so I can play it with achievements enabled?

Just unzip it to <Steam folder>\SteamApps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\DLC. Says so in the readme ;)

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Find whichever leader has Creative/Financial and just go to town with river cottages. If there's a nearby neighbor, tech bronzeworking, build ten or so axemen, and rush their capital (the best World Wonders, in terms of hammer investment, are capital cities). Then just tech and get your economy in order and soon enough you'll be able to do whatever you want, more or less.

Really, just tech bronze working early anyway because chopping forests and slaving away population are the most important abilities you have in the first 2/3rds of the game, right up to the point where you reach factories. If you have forests, chop them (or save them for important wonders if you plan properly), if your population has grown past all of its high yield tiles or reached its happy cap and slave unhappiness isn't stacked too high, slave it away to finish whatever your building. Don't think about it too much, just do it. This also means your city locations should prioritize sites with at least one if not several high food tiles and a granary should always be your first build, to ensure that any slaved population will regrow very quickly. Don't worry if you whip away population and you're unable to work your cottages or mines for a couple of turns, in the first half of the game you want to build workers, you want to build settlers, you want to build important infrastructure, you want to build workers, you want to build units for scout, fog bust, garrison your cities, killing barbs etc, you want to build workers, you want to build settlers, you'll fit the occasional wonder in there as well if you think you can get it and finally, you want to build workers. Point is, you want to build, build, and then build some more and you want to do it as quickly as possible because more workers and more cities and more infrastructure will make you better at doing everything else you need to do to win the game.

It's often said that the most important early game resource in Civ 4 is food, and this is technically true, but it is also misleading. The most important early game resource is production, but as a player you prioritize food because the food-to-hammers conversion afforded by slavery is so incredibly efficient that it's just straight up better than any other option for the majority of the game.

And if you want to use this production to build units and kill your neighbor, that's fine too!

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Why have I never tried to use terracota army before? That thing is amazing. If I upgrade one archer into a composite bowmen and leave one as an archer, would I get both unit types when the wonder completes? Still, swordsman, horseman, chariot archer, comp. bowman, and catapult is a sweet haul for the amount of hammers invested.

I mean I guess there are a lot of really amazing early wonders that just aren't worth it, but man does it pay off when they do. 12 turns for a colossus + free cargo ship is always tempting when you want a cargo ship anyways that takes 6 turns. But unlike some free cargo ship, a human player gets a lot more use out of free military units than the AI ever can.

Habibi posted:

Cities have local happiness. 60% is the magic slider ratio, try to stay at or above 60% science when expanding. The penalty for expanding is 'maintenance costs' which apply to each city and increase based on the distance from your palace and total number of cities, but the total # of cities maintenance is capped at 5 gold. Doesn't go higher than that. So you want to go wide and wider. Wide is the name of the game, the sooner you expand the better. You can stack workers. This isn't useful in early game min-maxing and you generally shouldn't, but later on just do it out of laziness.

As far as civs go, Inca and Carthage are the China and Poland of civ4. If you are looking at Inca and wondering why a leader with a wonder production trait is at the top, it's all about their starting techs, culture producing granary UB, and quecha rushing. Civ4 rewards going wide, so early game advantages tend to snowball instead of teetering out in the later game. Financial is by far the most powerful trait if you are going cottage economy. Specialist economies are viable but cottage economy is just plain better. Just pick a leader with financial and the 2nd trait is up to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurash
May 12, 2008

Speaking of Terracotta Army, the only time I ever tried to all-in on conquering the continent on Emperor was when I was playing Germany. The barbarian conquered units (Brutes, Hand-Axes) are considered distinct from their Civ-produced counterparts, and my nearest city-state neighbour just happened to have the military secret of Siege Towers. Rushed Terracotta Army and had it pop just as my first Siege Tower was gifted :getin:

• Locked thread