Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

So am I out of line when I start freaking out on these people in traffic?

I can't even be bothered any more. All the laws against it have done is make people hold their phones right down in their lap so nobody can see it, also so they're looking even further away from the road. I'm beginning to think the only solution is for phones to instantly disable themselves the second they're moving faster than 5mph. And no I don't give a poo poo about passengers or people on trains either.

While we're at it let's make car airbags deploy every time someone makes a turn within two seconds of turning on their indicator. Obviously making a turn without an indicator or in the opposite direction of the indicator should result in a special groin-level airbag deploying. Also airbags should be inflated with farts, they're getting off far too lightly otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Make cars safer to the point where we can push someone off the road for texting and they won't be injured.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Deeters posted:

Make cars safer to the point where we can push someone off the road for texting and they won't be injured.

I want them injured.

I say deputize every rider with special extra judicial powers. Everyone is equipped with a large knife and ceramic from a spark plug. We get bounties by bringing back hands still clutching phones.:commissar:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Chichevache posted:

I want them injured.

I say deputize every rider with special extra judicial powers. Everyone is equipped with a large knife and ceramic from a spark plug. We get bounties by bringing back hands still clutching phones.:commissar:

Have you done a run down Ortega? Cause I did it a couple weeks back. Came upon a Prius doing ~20 in a straight flat passing zone, and swerving lightly.

So I start to go past, and then I see why. IPad attached to his steering wheel, and he's trading loving stock. Like literally has a stock trading app open and never even loving looked up when I went by.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone ever hit an animal on their bike? Late last night I was going full speed on my scoot (about 45 tucked in lol) and a giant possum came out in front of me. Thought I was hosed, but at the last minute he turned around, was a good pucker moment, and I imagine if I hit it I would have been off the scoot for sure.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I've run over a squirrel before. Felt the back tire squish and slide around a little, but it wasn't that big of a deal really. I imagine it gets worse as the animal gets bigger.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

leica posted:

Anyone ever hit an animal on their bike? Late last night I was going full speed on my scoot (about 45 tucked in lol) and a giant possum came out in front of me. Thought I was hosed, but at the last minute he turned around, was a good pucker moment, and I imagine if I hit it I would have been off the scoot for sure.

The rule I read on here was something like "if you can eat it in one sitting, don't swerve." But that's on a real bike.

That said, two rabbits in the last six months. Prior to that? A turkey, a bobcat, numerous squirrels and snakes.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

leica posted:

I had to do "bullet time" like Neo in the Matrix to dodge a few wrens last week. Closest I've gotten ever. To the best of my knowledge I've never hit an animal before, even in my car.

iwentdoodie posted:

The rule I read on here was something like "if you can eat it in one sitting, don't swerve." But that's on a real bike.

That said, two rabbits in the last six months. Prior to that? A turkey, a bobcat, numerous squirrels and snakes.

How the gently caress do you hit a bobcat?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Chichevache posted:

Generally hard enough that it can't maul you back.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

leica posted:

I hit a folding metal chair that had fallen onto a steel deck bridge. I was positive I was going to die being munged on the cheese grater surface, but gyroscopic rigidity is a hell of a thing, and except for every part of the bike getting out of sorts for a few seconds, I escaped unscathed. My heart rate went down some hours later. I honestly think that if I had been on pavement then I would have been flung off the bike when a tire going sideways grabbed. After that Incident, I don't swerve for anything, because if I can ride over it, I'll stay upright and not die. I'll brake hard in a straight line for deer, though. Unless I'm driving a car. Screw deer forever.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
On my first solo ride after getting my license, I hit a woodchuck square-on. I just stood up a little and the GS500E took it all in stride. It was kind of cool, not sure how the woodchuck fared.

I ran over a squirrel's tail on my road bicycle, too. The tail sort of popped off and the squirrel ran away. I kept the tail.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

leica posted:

I've also hit a possum at around 140km/h in the middle of the night on a really poor-handling sv650. I was travelling in a straight line and he sort of pinged comically off to the side from a glancing blow from the front wheel. At least that's what I assume happened based on where I found him later; I was too busy trying not to poo poo my pants and crash.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Yeah I was thinking on a real bike with bigger wheels I would have probably been fine, but my scoot has little 10" wheels so I think I would have been on the pavement.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I hit a large, dead, porcupine (or at least most of him) at about 75mph just beyond the crest of a hill on the way to work one morning. Aside from the pants making GBS threads terror in the brief moment of time after realizing the situation but before impact, it was rather uneventful. I got a little air and took a few old-and-senile years off my life.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Chichevache posted:

I had to do "bullet time" like Neo in the Matrix to dodge a few wrens last week. Closest I've gotten ever. To the best of my knowledge I've never hit an animal before, even in my car.

I lived in the country in Texas. loving around on oiltop roads, came around a bend and splat. Nailed it crossing the road. Was on a YZ250 and it got stuck on my footpeg.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Chichevache posted:

Come up north, you can take far bigger game;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfzeu4YyGEQ

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Outside Dawg posted:

:stare: Good thing he was on a big rear end heavy Harley.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Outside Dawg posted:

:stonklol:

He got off easy--I've seen deer wreck full size pickup trucks to the point where it looks like a head on collision

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Or explode the deer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u5H4K3CTgE

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

OSU_Matthew posted:

:stonklol:

He got off easy--I've seen deer wreck full size pickup trucks to the point where it looks like a head on collision

Seriously, I hit a deer last winter in my car to the tune of $10k in damage and making the car technically undriveable. I can't believe the Harley escaped with at least a small enough amount of damage that he could drive it to the shoulder rather than drag/push. Maybe it was a small deer, but still.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Had a dream that my motorcycle was stolen last night. Woke up cranky and am still unreasonably angry.

It was still there when I left my place this morning.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
I know we've done the "all movie bikes sound like a straight pipe harley or sportbike" thing but this is a whole new level of special.

From "13 Sins"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_6uPvKX2dk

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Hahaha holy poo poo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Just started watching that on Netflix now. :cool:

edit
1 minute in and this movie delivers

edit2
3rd sin: make a child cry

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 21, 2015

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

It's missing the dirt bike that switches between 2 and 4 stroke.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I feel bad for laughing but holy poo poo.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The orchestral circus music in the last couple seconds makes it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
What happened to half-faired bikes, anyway? is this yet another thing I can blame on Ewan McGregor for causing the explosion in nerdventure-style bikes, which seem to completely fill the "Upright but with a bit of protection" market segment now?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

SV, Bandit, XJ6, FZ1, FZ6, etc?

I feel like the naked bike explosion killed them off, seeing as most of the half-faired bikes I can think of (see above) are now available sans fairing and seem to be a little more popular.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I wish they'd start selling the naked versions of the FZ1 and 6 in the U.S. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

What happened to half-faired bikes, anyway? is this yet another thing I can blame on Ewan McGregor for causing the explosion in nerdventure-style bikes, which seem to completely fill the "Upright but with a bit of protection" market segment now?

Pretty much. KTM 1290 SuperDuke Touring might come to save you though.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

SV, Bandit, XJ6, FZ1, FZ6, etc?

I feel like the naked bike explosion killed them off, seeing as most of the half-faired bikes I can think of (see above) are now available sans fairing and seem to be a little more popular.

Huh. Didn't know they were even still making the SV-S (or the Bandit, for that matter) - for some reason I had it in mind they'd stopped making them a few years ago.

(Of course now I think about it I didn't actually want a half-faired bike because looks-wise they're the worst of both worlds, and what I actually wanted was just a Gen 1 V2 Tuono but new, and I was annoyed that Aprilia only make the Caponord, which is ugly even by nerdventure standards, in that sector now)

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
I just started riding for the first time on a bought and barely used '87 Honda XL250R that had sub-1000mi when I put it on the road. Anyways, are increased bowel movements a side effect of frequently riding a high revving thumper? Because I've lost like 20+ lbs. from my peak weight during winter and I really haven't made any changes in diet or exercise...I'm at a loss otherwise. If this is normal would that imply that the naming of the KTM Duke could be an inside joke?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Mariana Horchata posted:

I just started riding for the first time on a bought and barely used '87 Honda XL250R that had sub-1000mi when I put it on the road. Anyways, are increased bowel movements a side effect of frequently riding a high revving thumper? Because I've lost like 20+ lbs. from my peak weight during winter and I really haven't made any changes in diet or exercise...I'm at a loss otherwise. If this is normal would that imply that the naming of the KTM Duke could be an inside joke?

I just read that post after finishing a 120mi run on a DRZ400 (at 80mph the whole way) half an hour ago.

My normal reply would be "I haven't ridden an XL250R, but lolno.", but the damndest thing is that I actually -do- need to take a poo poo right now. I'm starting to question things.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Mariana Horchata posted:

That's weird and you're weird.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mariana Horchata posted:

If you have (had) a particularly sedentary lifestyle then yes, vibrations will increase bowel movements.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Does that mean this thread has peaked? Don't all threads reach "I CAN'T STOP making GBS threads" at their peak?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I need recommendations for a motorbike that will make me stop making GBS threads so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
A Honda NC or CTX :getin: