Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Honestly I'd be totally down for Dom and Hobbs Meet the Wolfman

Hobbs so powerful he bit the Wolfman and it becomes human again. But with more muscle mass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I don't know if this has been posted before, but here's a short featurette about how they did the tank chase in 6. I had no idea how much of that was practical effects, right down to getting an actual 60-ton tank to run over actual moving cars, and using little RC cars to film it. :stare: I love this series so, so much.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 18, 2015

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

ninjahedgehog posted:

That last Tony Jaa fight, in any other movie, would be worth the full price of admission, but I love that in this it's just another badass scene among dozens and hardly gets mentioned. The bit where they slide down the stairs on the door was beautifully choreographed and foreshadowed.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread how underrated Paul Walker's stagefighting skills were, but it's worth saying again. It was actually kinda-sorta believable that he could beat Tony loving Jaa in a fistfight.

It's worth mentioning, because I read so many comments that were along the lines of 'As if Paul Walker could take on Tony Jaa' and it's like, as presented in this movie he really could. They find a great balance of making Jaa the better fighter but Walker being just about able to keep up.

Compare it for example to the fight in I think 5, where Rock and Diesel go at it and it's clear that Rock would murder Diesel (Who is at his chubbiest) but they expect us to accept that it's an equal fight.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Just saw it in IMAX last night. I thought it was 3rd or 4th best in the series, after 5, 6 and maybe 1. I definitely turned my brain off for the experience. Some thoughts:

I never thought I'd say this, but I missed Justin Lin as a director. It's fairly subtle, but he seemed to be a master of bringing out the satisfying emotional highs of action scenes in 5 and 6. There were a ton of "oh poo poo!" moments in 5 and 6, some of which were just like the Rock appearing on screen at certain times. The only times in 7 that came close were from the most over the top spectacles--the parachute jump and the building jumps.

The Dom-Tokyo scene could've literally been cut out entirely. I didn't remember that Han had the necklace, but it could've been reacquired without that awkward 2 min flashback and Lucas Black's jarring 10 years of aging after a 5 minute race. Maybe they should've CGI'd him too. The least they could've done was show the race.

I felt Statham's part was a bit of a let down. Not his fault at all. His introduction in the beginning really hyped him up, but it never really gave him a chance to truly shine. I thought it would've been better if it required a bit more of a team effort to take him down as opposed to random luck from a terrorist warlord in LA.

Ending did what it had to do, I have no comment.

The plot itself seemed to be even less effort than usual. But I guess that's forgivable under the circumstances. 7/10

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

iamsosmrt posted:

Lucas Black's jarring 10 years of aging after a 5 minute race.

Maybe racing against Vin Diesel is just a really stressful experience.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
All this talk of Paul Walker's fighting skill made me check, apparently Brick Mansions is on Netflix.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

iamsosmrt posted:

I didn't remember that Han had the necklace, but it could've been reacquired without that awkward 2 min flashback and Lucas Black's jarring 10 years of aging after a 5 minute race. Maybe they should've CGI'd him too. The least they could've done was show the race.

He didn't. Letty gave it to Owen Shaw after Dom gave it to her.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The necklace was definitely retconned into Han's death in FF6. It wasn't there originally.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

ninjahedgehog posted:

I don't know if this has been posted before, but here's a short featurette about how they did the tank chase in 6. I had no idea how much of that was practical effects, right down to getting an actual 60-ton tank to run over actual moving cars, and using little RC cars to film it. :stare: I love this series so, so much.

holy crap.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'd prefer seeing the Rock suplex some Xenomorphs and Vin fight a few Terminators with the help of family member Robocop before a Predator with a mean streak rolls up in a space car next to Mia and Letty.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dwayne Johnson as Van Helsing would be awesome. Just make his character a mix of the Anthony Hopkins version and himself. Maybe have him speak with a Dutch accent, but don't hire him a coach and just tell him to wing it.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Casimir Radon posted:

Dwayne Johnson as Van Helsing would be awesome. Just make his character a mix of the Anthony Hopkins version and himself. Maybe have him speak with a Dutch accent, but don't hire him a coach and just tell him to wing it.

Before all of that, he needs to come out with a movie where his character is The Rock circa-1999.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I want Channing Tatum in FF8. White House Down was basically a FF movie

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

WhyteRyce posted:

I want to see VP Channing Tatum driving a Lambo while President Jamie Foxx shoots a rocket launcher out the window.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Dom's crew fights the Avengers.

The drivers win. Because the street always wins.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Echo Chamber posted:

The necklace was definitely retconned into Han's death in FF6. It wasn't there originally.

In the after credits scene of 6 you see Statham throwing it in front of Han's car and walking away calling Dom right before it blows up. The implication is he went to Owen's warehouse in London where he left it (the last time we see it in 6 is when Letty gives it to Owen and he just leaves it on a table) and figured out the significance of it by the photos of the crew he got from the Rock's computer.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

I just saw John Wick and now I kind of want Keanu.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

Coffee And Pie posted:

I want to see VP Channing Tatum driving a Lambo while President Jamie Foxx shoots a rocket launcher out the window.

President Foxx outlaws NOS so that he can have the fastest car on the streets prompting Toretto to run for office. When Foxx attempts to pass legislation banning backyard barbecues he is stopped by Senator Dominic Toretto's impassioned 3 hour grace/filibuster/wrench fight which causes the White House to explode.

Fast and Furious 8 : Mr. Toretto Goes to Washington.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

ninjahedgehog posted:

:stonk: So should we just assume the drone in Furious 7 was real as well or what?

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Echo Chamber posted:

Dom's crew fights the Avengers.

The drivers win. Because the street always wins.

gently caress it, I'd pay money to see this.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

screenwritersblues posted:

gently caress it, I'd pay money to see this.

I bet Tony would drive that one car from the triple-skyscraper scene.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

WarLocke posted:

I bet Tony would drive that one car from the triple-skyscraper scene.

Tony would make a transformer that was a supercar that turned into a suit of armor.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Coffee And Pie posted:

Tony would make a transformer that was a supercar that turned into a suit of armor.

Hulk would just wear a car.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

WarLocke posted:

He's half as fast, but twice as furious.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

WarLocke posted:

Like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSt4tLKNv0A

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Rockzilla posted:

Maybe racing against Vin Diesel is just a really stressful experience.

I saw this with my friend this weekend and it took me out of the movie for a sec. What they should have done is just reshot the scene, instead of using stock footage from Tokyo Drift. You needed the scene because not everyone would have seen the previous movies.

Echo Chamber posted:

True, but it makes sense. The cameo by Dom in Tokyo Drift allowed Han to be in 4-6, and I had no issues with the necklace retcon. It changed Han's death, but gently caress it, that scene promised us Fast and Furious vs. The Transporter, and Furious 7 did not disappoint.

I do not think 7 was as good as 5 as a whole, but there were moments, especially:

Dom, cars can't fly

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

PassTheRemote posted:

I do not think 7 was as good as 5 as a whole, but there were moments, especially:

Dom, cars can't fly

This could refer to like at least 3 different scenes, 4 if you count Hobbes driving an ambulance into a drone.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

It's worth mentioning, because I read so many comments that were along the lines of 'As if Paul Walker could take on Tony Jaa' and it's like, as presented in this movie he really could. They find a great balance of making Jaa the better fighter but Walker being just about able to keep up.

As much as I like Tony Jaa, in real life Paul Walker probably could take him. Walker is much bigger and is also a BJJ black belt. Jaa would be hosed for sure.

In movie terms it's about right I suppose. The way Jaa goes out in the end was pretty funny at least.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

This could refer to like at least 3 different scenes, 4 if you count Hobbes driving an ambulance into a drone.

That was my favorite part of the movie. :swoon:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

WarLocke posted:

No, like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wv3gwLzEhs&t=150s

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Modus Operandi posted:

As much as I like Tony Jaa, in real life Paul Walker probably could take him. Walker is much bigger and is also a BJJ black belt. Jaa would be hosed for sure.

In movie terms it's about right I suppose. The way Jaa goes out in the end was pretty funny at least.

I think I can safely say that Paul Walker cannot win a fight against Tony Jaa.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

I want to see Tony Jaa vs. The Rock.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Why didn't Dom slowly descend the towers by just jumping from one to the other, turning around, and jumping back into the tower he just came from

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I think I can safely say that Paul Walker cannot win a fight against Tony Jaa.

He knows muay thai with no ground game and limited high level experience in competition. He's not Buakaw for god's sakes he's more of a stunt man. He'd be screwed against a black belt BJJ guy same as any other average person with no grappling.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Modus Operandi posted:

He knows muay thai with no ground game and limited high level experience in competition. He's not Buakaw for god's sakes he's more of a stunt man. He'd be screwed against a black belt BJJ guy same as any other average person with no grappling.

Paul Walker is dead

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ninjahedgehog posted:

I want to see Tony Jaa vs. The Rock.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

WhyteRyce posted:

Why didn't Dom slowly descend the towers by just jumping from one to the other, turning around, and jumping back into the tower he just came from

I mean I'm really happy with the scene we got, but now all I want is to have a single shot with no camera movement outside the towers, where every several seconds you see the car jump from one to another. Occasionally Deckard pops out and shoots the car.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.

Jenny Angel posted:

I mean I'm really happy with the scene we got, but now all I want is to have a single shot with no camera movement outside the towers, where every several seconds you see the car jump from one to another. Occasionally Deckard pops out and shoots the car.

And once they get to the bottom it just falls apart around them like the bluesmobile.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Doctor Zaius posted:

And once they get to the bottom it just falls apart around them like the bluesmobile.

How has there not been a single "they broke my watch!" in this entire series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Paul Walker is dead

Lies.

• Locked thread