Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

rad man. like i was talkin earlier us intel dudes are hot commodities for mob opportunities. hope you get some rad orders.
i'm waiting till i get frocked to third class before i start trying to mob, which shouldnt be too long here. talked to my LCPO and he's a really cool rear end EOD and was totally down with doing everything he's gotta do to get my rear end frocked

:slick: I just found out that I got 5 month orders on my lunch between civilian jobs. LOL PEACE two jobs! My LPO is hella rad and helped me a lot, as well with the other CTT in our unit.

squarerandom fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

squarerandom posted:

:slick: I just found out that I got 5 month orders on my lunch between civilian jobs. LOL PEACE two jobs! My LPO is hella rad and helped me a lot, as well with the other CTT in our unit.

Congrats, occasionally the reserves do right by Sailors.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

vulturesrow posted:

In all my years in the Navy I have never felt even the slightest urge to check my Navy email account from anywhere other than work. WTH is wrong with you people?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

the best part is that he'll be quietly forced to retire and no junior sailor will ever get a rental car again

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

krispykremessuck posted:

no enlisted sailor will ever get a rental car again

fixed

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Chiefs ru(i)n the Navy

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

maffew buildings posted:

Chiefs ru(i)n the Navy

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

ded posted:

tosh is so good even the navy times reports about him

DTS claims another soul
:unsmigghh:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Stuck in the galley during a TS1 alert. Fat sailor gonna get fat.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Stuck in the galley during a TS1 alert. Fat sailor gonna get fat.

eat the eggs smash mouth

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Vriess posted:

DTS claims another soul
:unsmigghh:

The thing is DTS is designed so that most idiotic mistakes can be filtered out. I wonder what he was actually doing... I heard through some senior officer grapevine that this guys was ALWAYS on travel. Was he getting points on frequent flyer programs through extensive travel?

I know a buddy of mine who got a poo poo ton of points flying around the world because he was stationed in Japan. Points on various programs were consolidated into a single program and he flew his gf out to wherever he was for pennies. Granted all his travel was legal and part of his job but if this master chief had some kind of power where he could make his own schedules without much oversight, I can see how that can be a slippery slope.

Overall I'm always appalled how some master chiefs want treatment like they are flag or general officers. Yet another negative fallout from the "triad" system that was adopted.

Let's talk about another master chief position that's completely bullshit. Look at the role of the CSMM on aegis ships. These master chiefs don't stand duty or stand watch underway. Wtf? Meanwhile you have senior department heads that stand 3 section TAO on deployment. I've seen some CSMMs stand CSC when it was convenient for them but seriously?

Also seen many fleet/force master chiefs just walk by CO/XO when visiting ships without saluting or acknowledging. And these guys show up with their own retinue of khaki butt chomper chains (mostly chiefs and senior chiefs lapping at his palm). I've heard of ridiculous positions such as "deputy" force master chief and poo poo like that or master chiefs expecting to get bonged on when visiting ships or expecting 5050 distributed to crew for their visit.

The "chief's mess" culture is an outdated system to middle level management in the Navy.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

It's most likely he was abusing the $75 rule, or colluding with others to get authorized things he shouldn't have been. POV mileage is another possibility.

And it's totally fine to get miles for your official travel, so I'm not even sure why you'd care.

Anyway, whatever he was doing was definitely some nickel and dime poo poo, because the estimated amount "could go as high as" $10,000. That's some loving weak-rear end travel related fraud, there.

e: I'd go as far as to say just about everyone who has done a significant amount of TDYs has probably unintentionally cost more than $10,000 in poo poo they shouldn't have been authorized.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Howard Phillips posted:

Let's talk about another master chief position that's completely bullshit. Look at the role of the CSMM on aegis ships. These master chiefs don't stand duty or stand watch underway. Wtf? Meanwhile you have senior department heads that stand 3 section TAO on deployment. I've seen some CSMMs stand CSC when it was convenient for them but seriously?

Man I thought junior enlisted really hated chiefs...

It's been my experience that CSMMs always stand CSC, and when they're not in CIC they're down in CSMC dealing with poo poo. I'm not sure why you think the position is complete bullshit (ignorance I guess?) but coordinating maintenance for all of combat systems on an aegis ship isn't exactly a walk in the park, and that's one thing out of many they do. Not to mention that normally csmm's are master chiefs (or I guess senior chiefs based on manning) that normally have a poo poo ton of time in so who cares if they're duty free?

It's funny to me to imagine a bunch of department heads being upset at the old rear end master chief while they get treated like royalty and make triple the money.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

PneumonicBook posted:

Man I thought junior enlisted really hated chiefs...

It's been my experience that CSMMs always stand CSC, and when they're not in CIC they're down in CSMC dealing with poo poo. I'm not sure why you think the position is complete bullshit (ignorance I guess?) but coordinating maintenance for all of combat systems on an aegis ship isn't exactly a walk in the park, and that's one thing out of many they do. Not to mention that normally csmm's are master chiefs (or I guess senior chiefs based on manning) that normally have a poo poo ton of time in so who cares if they're duty free?

It's funny to me to imagine a bunch of department heads being upset at the old rear end master chief while they get treated like royalty and make triple the money.

he took a joke in the wardroom seriously

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

agreed all chief's messes and their associated ships and facilities should be scuttled

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

agreed all chief's messes and their associated ships and facilities should be scuttled

Along with the handjobs the royals get at every turn. Take your own trash and laundry out.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Laranzu posted:

Along with the handjobs the royals get at every turn. Take your own trash and laundry out.

On the ship it probably makes sense for the trash collection to be done by the supply guys. As for laundry honestly most guys I know just do their own. It still may make more sense to have it done that way but I'm pretty sure on some ships only the high ranking Os get theirs picked up so it probably works ok to have to take it down yourself. All this is from a perspective of someone who has only ever deployed on carriers.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

agreed keelhaul every sea warrior

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Bottom line is we're already specialized in our tasking. Respect and authority should be purely based on responsibility not blueshirt/chief/officer lines. It's antiquated and a remnant from the class divide that was reflected in the Royal Navy. A lot of our naval heritage comes from the Royal Navy.

Does the CO/Master of a ship deserve the respect he/she gets? Absolutely. So does the first mate/xo/nav/engineer/ etc... If people are hired for supply jobs and it's part of their job description that they take out trash and do laundry that's fine. But people shouldn't be expected to be serviced cause "lol I'm chief" or "lol I'm officer." I'm speaking from being prior enlisted from the very bottom (joined E1 conventional EM, did the whole cranking, take out trash and sweep, berthing cleaners, live on ship for 2 yrs and all that poo poo).

Don't get me wrong I think our Navy is pretty drat professional and our sailors are very adept, especially compared to foreign navies. On most ships, regardless of rank, most sailors are making tremendous contributions and stepping up in responsibility, but still gets on my nerves to see some poo poo nowadays. This master chief being one.

BT

With regards to CSMM, I'm fully aware of what they do, but it's a hit and miss. Besides CSMM gets a poo poo ton of support. Other chiefs, STO, EMO, CSO, FCO, and usually cross deck support if it really comes down to it. Seen FCs traded around ships in a squadron or strike group. I guess my experience with them has been less than par. I'm glad that there are CSMMs out there that earn the pay and privileges they get.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
As someone who travels quite frequently on the job, all I have to say is that the government credit card scares the ever living poo poo out of me and I try to avoid using it whenever I can.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Howard Phillips posted:

Bottom line is we're already specialized in our tasking. Respect and authority should be purely based on responsibility not blueshirt/chief/officer lines. It's antiquated and a remnant from the class divide that was reflected in the Royal Navy. A lot of our naval heritage comes from the Royal Navy.

Does the CO/Master of a ship deserve the respect he/she gets? Absolutely. So does the first mate/xo/nav/engineer/ etc... If people are hired for supply jobs and it's part of their job description that they take out trash and do laundry that's fine. But people shouldn't be expected to be serviced cause "lol I'm chief" or "lol I'm officer." I'm speaking from being prior enlisted from the very bottom (joined E1 conventional EM, did the whole cranking, take out trash and sweep, berthing cleaners, live on ship for 2 yrs and all that poo poo).

Don't get me wrong I think our Navy is pretty drat professional and our sailors are very adept, especially compared to foreign navies. On most ships, regardless of rank, most sailors are making tremendous contributions and stepping up in responsibility, but still gets on my nerves to see some poo poo nowadays. This master chief being one.

BT

With regards to CSMM, I'm fully aware of what they do, but it's a hit and miss. Besides CSMM gets a poo poo ton of support. Other chiefs, STO, EMO, CSO, FCO, and usually cross deck support if it really comes down to it. Seen FCs traded around ships in a squadron or strike group. I guess my experience with them has been less than par. I'm glad that there are CSMMs out there that earn the pay and privileges they get.

I agree with pretty much everything here. The CSMM thing probably touched a nerve because the last CSMM I had was by far the best chief in the navy and he literally worked himself to death three months before his thirty year mark.

The support they get as far as other chiefs/emo/sto/etc is super hit or miss. I worked directly for the CSMM on USS Last Ship and it's pretty hosed up when the E5 CSMMA has to rewrite the aloft instruction because the EMO has no idea, or being the only person on the entire ship that had any idea how to put the system in training correctly. I guess like anything in the navy my experience is totally subjective.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

krispykremessuck posted:

e: I'd go as far as to say just about everyone who has done a significant amount of TDYs has probably unintentionally cost more than $10,000 in poo poo they shouldn't have been authorized.

It's so easy in DTS to just put "AUTH" and bypass all the flagged items, it's scary. The best part is when someone in admin stops writing their own NAM to come by 6 months later and ask if you have receipts. I'm all for saving receipts but once it goes through DTS and gets signed and stamped PAID, am I really expected to keep it all?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

germskr posted:

It's so easy in DTS to just put "AUTH" and bypass all the flagged items, it's scary. The best part is when someone in admin stops writing their own NAM to come by 6 months later and ask if you have receipts. I'm all for saving receipts but once it goes through DTS and gets signed and stamped PAID, am I really expected to keep it all?

You're supposed to upload receipts into DTS when you make your voucher. It goes under Substantiating Records or something like that on the Expenses tab. That said, if it makes it through the approval chain then I have no idea - I keep nothing after it's been approved.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
Local fucktardery leads to kiddie raper getting conviction thrown out. Nice.

"In fact, a defense attorney in military court was successful Monday in overturning the conviction of a Navy man accused of raping a child because Gardner’s potential impeachment disclosure materials weren’t disseminated"

http://www.whidbeynewstimes.com/news/299769751.html?mobile=true

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
JW but how was vaping handled on your guys' previous ships?
been talkin to a few dudes who vape saying that in their work spaces they were unofficially allowed to vape in their, dependent on who was their direct leadership for their workspace

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Boon posted:

As someone who travels quite frequently on the job, all I have to say is that the government credit card scares the ever living poo poo out of me and I try to avoid using it whenever I can.

I only billed plane tickets and hotel rooms to it. Everything else I paid out of pocket and waited for the per diem payout.

The one time my atm card was locked and I had to get cash with the GTC I almost got killed by the dts approver lady.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Boon posted:

You're supposed to upload receipts into DTS when you make your voucher. It goes under Substantiating Records or something like that on the Expenses tab. That said, if it makes it through the approval chain then I have no idea - I keep nothing after it's been approved.

I don't know if it's our scanner or the browser but none of my receipts are viewable. Oh well, paid out of pocket and got reimbursed but Jesus, Citibank really knows how to annoy the poo poo out of a person.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

JW but how was vaping handled on your guys' previous ships?
been talkin to a few dudes who vape saying that in their work spaces they were unofficially allowed to vape in their, dependent on who was their direct leadership for their workspace

We were fine in our spaces and I used to do it in CIC until a CTR who smoked got butt hurt and flipped out.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

germskr posted:

Officially I think you're supposed to be keeping the receipts for 6 years. The reasoning is because until the appropriation that your travel was charged against hits canceled status, records have to be maintained. Be glad it's not procurement poo poo, that used to be current fiscal year plus three, now it's ten.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Off topic, but when did Kelly Clarkson get so fat? She is like tricare fat now.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

germskr posted:

I don't know if it's our scanner or the browser but none of my receipts are viewable. Oh well, paid out of pocket and got reimbursed but Jesus, Citibank really knows how to annoy the poo poo out of a person.

While you *can* scan them, the most efficient method of upload is actually fax machine.

I wish I was making this up.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

PneumonicBook posted:

We were fine in our spaces and I used to do it in CIC until a CTR who smoked got butt hurt and flipped out.

so like, do people just roll onto ships with like tons of 120ml bottles or something? if i go on a ship i'd like to bring as much liquid as i would need but im having a hard time conceptualizing 10 months of liquid

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

so like, do people just roll onto ships with like tons of 120ml bottles or something? if i go on a ship i'd like to bring as much liquid as i would need but im having a hard time conceptualizing 10 months of liquid

There was a system on the boat for the vapers. All doors to the Torpedo Room shut, and alarm system left over from the 80's activated in silent mode. As long as you watched the alarm light, you could vape, and if the door opened and the alarm light turned on, you pocket that poo poo fast. Had a fat ITS get caught by the CO, slap on the wrist, but served as a warning to the rest of the crew. Most of the vapers I know brought a ton of those little bottles that look like eye medication and used them, when supplies where low trading happened. It was a good little community on the boat that wasn't affected by the supply vs time underway market.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

vulturesrow posted:

On the ship it probably makes sense for the trash collection to be done by the supply guys. As for laundry honestly most guys I know just do their own. It still may make more sense to have it done that way but I'm pretty sure on some ships only the high ranking Os get theirs picked up so it probably works ok to have to take it down yourself. All this is from a perspective of someone who has only ever deployed on carriers.

I was going to PM you but you were smarter than me with your money. Tell me about life on a carrier, seeing as that's where I'm (probably) going to be ending up.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

When we'd start to get low we'd just order more, obviously way in advance. Also we had room for a bunch of bottles so we all brought a bunch. What we ended up going through more was our lovely batteries actually, bring spares.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

PneumonicBook posted:

When we'd start to get low we'd just order more, obviously way in advance. Also we had room for a bunch of bottles so we all brought a bunch. What we ended up going through more was our lovely batteries actually, bring spares.

what was the most common mod? like mechanicals, box mods, or the e-cig variety?

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

what was the most common mod? like mechanicals, box mods, or the e-cig variety?

The metal tube ones, not the cheap gas station kind, but nothing that was box shaped.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Sir Lucius posted:

Off topic, but when did Kelly Clarkson get so fat? She is like tricare fat now.

I was gonna say she was preggo, but I think I'm mixing her up with Carrie Underwood.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

This is going to sounds like a retarded question, but don't you guys have plugs on the ships? Unless you're buying lovely batteries/draining them too much I don't see how you'd need a couple spares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sir Lucius posted:

She is like tricare fat now.

Using this.

• Locked thread