Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Roy will be fine if he gets his awesome Awakening design, and poo poo if he doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

mabels big day posted:

The problem with Roy compared to every other clone character except Pichu is that Roy never belonged in the first place.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Dr Mario could have been Luigi, and Luigi could have been Waluigi.

Bringing back roy is dumb because it's Nintendo wasting time on rehashing old assets instead of making something new and fun.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I'm so glad more people care about a lovely clone more than the prospect of new characters.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
It'd be awesome if they did something like Roy in Melee and developed Kamui or whoever it is who stars in the upcoming Fire Emblem as DLC, releasing same day as the actual game, for some good cross-promotion.

But nope they'd never do that over just spending like a day on Roy.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Clones seem like a really quick way to push out DLC, I'd rather have that than nothing. I'm sure they'll find a way to rework Roy, look at the transition between Melee Dorf and Brawl Dorf.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

bring back Young Link.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Bring back Ivysaur and Squirtle.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

The T posted:

Gets it. Squirtle, at least

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Another blue skinned pokemon :rolleyes:

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

The T posted:

Obligatory "Play Project M" post.

Also, another instance of the 3DS limitations holding back the game; Zelda and Samus have their counterparts as stand-alone characters now, but Pokémon Trainer simply got gutted when moving away from "stance"/transformation characters.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Aston posted:

No, which is why I support cutting Luigi from this game.

Uhhhh this is extremely hosed up.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Pokemon Trainer retired from fighting to pursue a career in landscape design. Squirtle and Ivysaur are his assistants, but he had to let Charizard go because he kept accidentally setting fire to the shrubbery with his tail.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

codenameFANGIO posted:

Uhhhh this is extremely hosed up.

Luigi had his year. Time to go the way of Ol' Yeller.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I won't buy Roy.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I wished they figured out a way to code Ice Climbers in.

And Goku.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'd rather have Isaac than Roy.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

mabels big day posted:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Luigi is more fun than Mario, so he should stay in.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

notoriousman posted:

Obligatory "Play Project M" post.

Why would I play a bad game with terrible boring stages? If I was that dire to use Ivysaur and Squirtle I'd just play Brawl.

Also to be clear the joke was that Ivysaur and Squirtle were better and more unique characters than Roy ever was. :thejoke:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

mabels big day posted:

This is the first post you've made that I can firmly say is incorrect.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Narcissus1916 posted:

I think I'm the only person who wants more stages than characters. Pulling for an old school Mushroom Kingdom appearance to make its way in.

I'm definitely with you. The cast is just about perfect, but the lack of _good_ stages is frustrating. Some stages would be better if there were options to tone them down without going full Omega.

Also For Glory 1v1 being basically FD only is terrible and makes online play against non-friends very boring, that should be changed too!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

mabels big day posted:

I'd rather have nothing.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

mabels big day posted:

I won't buy Roy.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

mabels big day posted:

Continue the theme of all the DLC characters being psychics rather than the trend of all of them being clones.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Raserys posted:

This is the first post you've made that I can firmly say is incorrect.

I meant that as a slight to Roy, and I in no way support Isaac for smash.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Roy coming back at all is a tragedy more like. Especially before King K. Rool.

Melee fans are the worst sometimes.
Why would you ever want King K. Rool, he's like the worst looking character of all time

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
They aren't adding toy to appease "melee/Project: M" players, because those people already aren't playing Smash 4 for mechanical reasons, not because it doesn't have their favorite character, Roy. They're adding Roy because a bunch of people who played smash when they were kids remember using him and being like COOL! FIRE MARTH!

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Roy lead the polls in Japan and I'm pretty sure he was somewhere in the top 10 if not 5 over in North America, it makes sense to bring him in.

Nerd democracy in action. :sigh:

e: then again I just realized that I didn't vote for yarn kirby/prince fluff, and am therefore twenty hitlers. :negative:

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

i wonder if bringing in Roy will merge Lucina back into Marth as just a costume

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I get that Roy's an awful character in his own game and that it basically makes 3 sword clones but if you guys don't want a guy whose sword is on fire basically all of the time I don't know what to tell you

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'm guessing they'll make him Luigi-er this time around since Lucina is already as much of a clone as you can get. I'm cool with a Fire Marth, specially if it confirms that we'll be getting way more than just Mewtwo, Lucas and Poll Winner. If it were just Mewtwo, Roy and Poll Winner i'd see the issue, but this is just more characters with more characters, so heck yeah.

I'm wondering on the stages, tho. I hope they suddenly drop with Lucas during E3 or something, like "and now the Miiverse stage is up, but also look at these ones! You can download them RIGHT NOW"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Glimm posted:

I'm definitely with you. The cast is just about perfect, but the lack of _good_ stages is frustrating. Some stages would be better if there were options to tone them down without going full Omega.

Also For Glory 1v1 being basically FD only is terrible and makes online play against non-friends very boring, that should be changed too!

Just make an alpha mode, it's not like 8 player versions of some stages don't already turn off hazards, so that should be really easy to do

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
We already have a Roy in Sm4sh. We don't need another.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Just make an alpha mode, it's not like 8 player versions of some stages don't already turn off hazards, so that should be really easy to do

This is something that'd really, really make the game benefit from it continuing development after release. Turn off hazards like they do in 8-player mode and add stages to the For Glory mode. Wouldn't even mind if we'd have to wait months on the stages being selected, it'd be rad having a pool of, say, Battlefield, Pyrosphere, FD, Town and City, Pokemon League, Skyworld, Luigi's Mansion, Norfair and Pokemon Stadium in For Glory.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I haven't played this game since Christmas or so and I signed up for a local $5 tourney. How do I get good at this game in 3 weeks or so? I play Ness and customs are allowed apparently.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Oh thank god, it's Roychat time again, just what we needed. I can only hope he gets added so people will shut up about him and they can move on to characters that actually matter.

#NotMyBoy

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I too post about how much I don't care about things.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Phone posted:

I haven't played this game since Christmas or so and I signed up for a local $5 tourney. How do I get good at this game in 3 weeks or so? I play Ness and customs are allowed apparently.

Watch tournament videos for whatever character you want to play as (ideally ones using Customs but those are obviously less common) to see what combos work with your character, most have some variation of "down throw + aerial(s)" or "up-tilt several times". It'll also teach you which are the best buttons to press for your character, odds are you have some you just won't ever use depending on who you play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm glad that Ike helped his friend, Roy, be in the game.

• Locked thread