Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Zach Woods is really great too, but I don't think he's been on in a while. I remember one episode where he almost single handedly saved like 3 or 4 meandering scenes by taking them in significantly more interesting/funny directions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
the rainbow party is always a classic zach woods scene for me

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Zohn posted:

Well, while in all fairness while the things I personally don't like about Hillary could fill pages, Benghazi and the state department emails are straight up Koch brother peddled non-issues.

On the other hand, Besser is the poster child for comedians who I really like but have to tune out sometimes when they try to talk seriously about politics or history or science and get it all wrong. Blowing off internet people for tweeting Fox News nonsense at him is petty but understandable though.

That's true of most comedians, though. I don't know if it's because they make observations about the world for a living, but so many seem to eventually cross over into smug belief that they have all, or most, of the answers, which also leads to poor attempts at "satire".

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

tnimark posted:

Zach Woods is really great too, but I don't think he's been on in a while. I remember one episode where he almost single handedly saved like 3 or 4 meandering scenes by taking them in significantly more interesting/funny directions.

Zach Woods had an insanely good I4H run. I also love Adam Pally, and Andy Daly was great when he was on a bunch early in its run.

The Lennon Parham, Jessica St Clair, Zooks episode is fantastic too. Infinitely listenable.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Woods and Huskey were the next two on my list, definitely. Was listening to some back episodes recently and the flipoff/Atlantis scene slayed me again. Delaney is always a treat too, despite generally being understated.

Also, despite Poehler only being on one episode she absolutely killed it. I'm hoping now that P&R is over Besser can convince her to do a couple more. Her "Oh, I know what a fart box is." cracks me up whenever I think about it.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
There are a ton of great regulars. Sean Conroy, Gil Ozeri, Seth Morris, Stephanie Allynne, Charlie Sanders, along with the Pally/Gabrus/Gemberling chubby, sassy white guy trifecta have immaculate runs for me, along with the ones already mentioned.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I think my dream lineup would currently be Stephanie Allynne, Eugene Cordero, Andy Daly, Lauren Lapkus, and Mary Holland. Oh, and throw PFT in there too!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

feedmyleg posted:

It is a shame that Besser is consistently the worst improviser on I4H. His moves are so rote and stock and his initiations are so boring. Oh, another scene where everyone gets to pitch you ideas for a new X and you get to shoot them down? Great.

He has a "hey guys get in here!" scene every episode. And Besser has his ups and downs but he can take things into really weird places too.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
And he is good at "editing" scenes, even if he can cut a bit too early sometimes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

He has a "hey guys get in here!" scene every episode. And Besser has his ups and downs but he can take things into really weird places too.

As someone who has seen a lot of Harolds in their time, I have nothing against structured group scenes. They can be a blast. But Besser's are just generally really boring and formulaic, and are usually saved by someone else taking it to a weird place. Besser can get weird too, but more often than not he tries to ground scenes to their detriment and makes a lot of poor choices.

Not to say he doesn't have his strengths too, but more often than not when he takes the reins of a scene I don't like where it goes.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If you posted that on his forum he'd probably try to get you on case closed

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Help Im Alive posted:

If you posted that on his forum he'd probably try to get you on case closed

He'd have you call in, yell "WROOOOOOOONG" over everything you try to say for five minutes, then say "Let's start a scene based on what a fucker that guy is."

deadkiller615
Aug 7, 2007
yea, I kill dead stuff. so what?

Does anyone remember which podcast had an ad for tuft and needle on it? I'm getting a mattress from there and i could have sworn I heard one before.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
I'm only like 10 minutes in, but the new With Special Guest with Joe Wengert is incredible so far.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

thefncrow posted:

I'm only like 10 minutes in, but the new With Special Guest with Joe Wengert is incredible so far.

"We have a doctor I know!"

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

tnimark posted:

he was in the best episode ever, There There My Bear Bear. Colton Dunn is also amazing in that one

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Beeez posted:

That's true of most comedians, though. I don't know if it's because they make observations about the world for a living, but so many seem to eventually cross over into smug belief that they have all, or most, of the answers, which also leads to poor attempts at "satire".

They're comedians though, that's performance. Like, case in point, Matt Besser doesn't actually care that much about adults drinking milk or whatever, he's playing it up because it's funny to play it up. It's funnier to commit to an unreasonable point of view than to sit there and go "well gee this sure is complex but lets try to present all the sides of the issue". They're comedians.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Politicalrancor posted:

he was in the best episode ever, There There My Bear Bear. Colton Dunn is also amazing in that one

That episode also has the "Matt Besser loves sound and movement exercises" running gag

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Periodiko posted:

he's playing it up because it's funny to play it up

if only

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Analytic Engine posted:

That episode also has the "Matt Besser loves sound and movement exercises" running gag

I loved how you could tell it really bothered him and he had to step in as himself to deny it.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
The first episode of womp it up! is dropping tonight.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
What episode of Improv 4 Humans was it where there was a skit about driving to a guy's house to give him the finger? I could've sworn it was the 420 eipsode, but I just listened to it, and it wasn't in there.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

SpacePig posted:

What episode of Improv 4 Humans was it where there was a skit about driving to a guy's house to give him the finger? I could've sworn it was the 420 eipsode, but I just listened to it, and it wasn't in there.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/their-name-is-korn/
One of my favorites. Proves musical episodes can be as good as the rest.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

SpacePig posted:

It was a musical episode, but I don't remember which one. Look for a music episode with Huskey and Gemberling. Taking a quick look over the list, I'd guess it's #126.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

mr.capps posted:

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/their-name-is-korn/
One of my favorites. Proves musical episodes can be as good as the rest.

thefncrow posted:

It was a musical episode, but I don't remember which one. Look for a music episode with Huskey and Gemberling. Taking a quick look over the list, I'd guess it's #126.

Thank you very much.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Reformed Pissboy posted:

The Black List Table Reads just debuted with Paul Scheer, Jason Mantzoukas, Lauren Lapkus, Matt Walsh, and others reading some apparently infamous script called "BALLS OUT". It's pretty funny so far.

I can't actually work out what is real in this. They keep breaking, and I was wondering are they mocking this? Is this a real script? Then they had the writer on, and I'm thinking, is this a bit? But it's not funny. It was just weird.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I turned it off before the first narration ended. Is it a goof?

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
The nine hour long introduction by the worlds most important man really set the stage for what appears to be tucker max presents the mask. All in all a great podcast and a great script.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
He twice said that they knew they were the world's best scripts because collecting the world's best scripts is what they do.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I can't actually work out what is real in this. They keep breaking, and I was wondering are they mocking this? Is this a real script? Then they had the writer on, and I'm thinking, is this a bit? But it's not funny. It was just weird.

It's all real - the guy who runs the Black List has actors and comedians on to do a table read of a critically lauded unproduced screenplay over the course of 4 episodes, then interviews the screenwriters.

I really enjoyed it, surprised to see the reactions are so negative here. I can see how the screenwriters's writing style would turn some people off, but plenty of screenplays are written with more colorful language than average - the Wachowskis, for instance. I don't find the story to be particularly obnoxious at this point. But I've always really enjoyed table reads in any form and this is essentially "Unproduced Screenplay Table Reads: The Podcast" so I guess that's not for everyone.

I do wonder if after the first 4 episodes they'll jump to another comedy script or not.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 20, 2015

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone listen to WOMP It Up! yet?

Today's like podcast Christmas. I4H 420 special, Spontaneanation, CBB, and now WOMP.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

He twice said that they knew they were the world's best scripts because collecting the world's best scripts is what they do.

The Black List isn't so much the world's best unproduced scripts but unproducable scripts that Hollywood's top assistants (AKA future executives and agents/managers) find amusing these days. There are some Oscar-type prestige scripts in the annual voting (I read The Imitation Game at my first internship in 2012) but a lot of them are just calling cards for writers to get representation and meetings, so THEN they can be hired to write the latest Marvel movie. That's why the descriptions that narrator Craig Mazin read were so ridiculous and trying-too-hard to be funny. For example, there was a script on this year's list called Becoming Ryan Reynolds or something that was a meta script in the vein of Being John Malkovich but not good.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
So what you are saying is that if I ever get around to writing my Grosse Pointe Blank inspired script, Ghost Pointe Blank (he is a ghost hunter instead of a hitman!) that there is a very likely chance it can get on the Blacklist?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well it'll have to compete with my script, Ghost Point Break (Point Break, but all the characters are ghosts).

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I don't see why we need to compete, we could crossover my ghost hunter character with your ghost characters.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I'm usually very pro background laughter in podcasts, but I kinda wish PFT was alone for the Spont intro ramblings like he was with the Pod F. Tompkast. It was more endearing when it felt like he was only trying to make himself laugh.

Edit: The show is great and I still enjoy the intro a lot. Just a minor quibble.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

tnimark posted:

I'm usually very pro background laughter in podcasts, but I kinda wish PFT was alone for the Spont intro ramblings like he was with the Pod F. Tompkast. It was more endearing when it felt like he was only trying to make himself laugh.

Edit: The show is great and I still enjoy the intro a lot. Just a minor quibble.

This is the correct opinion. Why do people hate laugh tracks? It's not because of the laughter. It's the lack of nuance/subltelty/timing in the audience, and PFT's guests have hosed it up twice now.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Balls Out sounded a lot like Brett Gelman's Injustice For All.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I am 100% pro Janet Varney background laughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
holy poo poo Sean and Hayes arguing with iTunes customer support about removing a rude review from 2013, while posing as Engineer Brett. I am dying