Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

drat, Rorus - I guess they figure their subscription rates couldn't get any lower, might as well have some fun with the remaining old people.

(Note to outsiders: Our part of Virginia is the proud home of Pat Robertson and his Regent University, an enormous military presence, and flocks of retired military. Tea Party plates are sadly common.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

At least the elf is wearing cleats.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Funny, you could change the guy to any Tea Partier and the plates could remain the same....

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I keep looking at this and it's still shocking. Holy poo poo.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Taylor's been the Pilot's cartoonist for years.

I'd post him more often, but the Pilot does a miserable job keeping his archive updated (seriously, the most reason one on their site is from January), and Taylor stopped updating his Flickr account at some point in 2013 or so. I'm relying on his Facebook, but I don't know if that's really an up-to-date source since he seems to only posts cartoons that he thinks will get hate mail.

EDIT: At one point I was literally taking pictures of the print paper just to post cartoons, but I really didn't want to keep spending money on a newspaper I rarely read.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rorus Raz posted:

I'd post him more often, but the Pilot does a miserable job keeping his archive updated (seriously, the most reason one on their site is from January), and Taylor stopped updating his Flickr account at some point in 2013 or so. I'm relying on his Facebook, but I don't know if that's really an up-to-date source since he seems to only posts cartoons that he thinks will get hate mail.

Don't worry, those are the ones we like.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

loquacius posted:

JJ designed a new Canadian flag

Just another reminder that JJ is an enormous tosser.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Those clowns in the department of energy are at it again. What a bunch of clowns.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

The Pacific Rim sequel better have a monster named Fountainhead, now.

Tom Guycot posted:

Its absolutely astounding to me how much better drunk duck used to be. I mean plotlines, backgrounds, different angles, people doing things. Amazing. Usually you watch an artist grow, not de-evolve like his art was shot with koopa's gun from the Mario movie.

Not in newspaper comics. The status quo there seems to be not developing at all, no matter how bad you were at drawing to begin with (see also: Cathy, Ted Rall), though even Watterson wasn't totally immune to some devolution in certain aspects of his art, after awhile.

The trend probably started with Peanuts, which was revolutionary in its minimalism because of how beautiful it was for the first two decades or so of its existence, but Schulz apparently struggled with his hand tremor for far longer than many people realize, which would explain the steep decline in his drawing (and especially his lettering, which went from being probably the cleanest, most ultramodern and consistent hand-lettering in comics to looking practically amateurish or even sloppy) around the '70s.

But a lot of aspiring cartoonists looked at this decline in Schulz' drawing, coupled with how successful Peanuts continued to be, and instead of recognizing that he had a serious health issue which was causing him a great deal of pain and was obviously getting worse, their takeaway was to make it into an excuse for their own laziness and/or lack of talent/skill.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I'd chalk up any degradation in Watterson's art to his non-stop fighting with the syndicate for many years, which frequently resulted in him taking breaks from cartooning. He probably just really wasn't into it towards the end.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Rorus Raz posted:

EDIT: At one point I was literally taking pictures of the print paper just to post cartoons, but I really didn't want to keep spending money on a newspaper I rarely read.

I pick them up from here. Is there more that don't make it to that site?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I am referring to Walt Taylor, not Taylor Jones.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Rorus Raz posted:

I'd chalk up any degradation in Watterson's art to his non-stop fighting with the syndicate for many years, which frequently resulted in him taking breaks from cartooning. He probably just really wasn't into it towards the end.

It's very subtle in Watterson's case (and hinges quite a bit more on personal preference, probably), and I'm mainly citing it for argument's sake, about how even the best artists can fall into ruts over a long period of time. His cartoon drawing hit the ideal balance between loose, rubbery liveliness and tighter, more controlled composition, IMO, around the "Scientific Progress Goes Boink" storyline, but it started to get increasingly angular and flat, after that, and boredom on the artist's part was definitely palpable towards the end.

However, his more realistic drawing never stopped improving, as you can see in that picture of the dead bird he did that one time, for example. Same goes for his composition and design.

It's also important to note that Watterson was an amazing brush illustrator right off the bat in college, and the early years of Calvin and Hobbes were clearly very restrained (for deadlines' and efficiency's sake) versions of his natural abilities and instincts.

Deep Hurting fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 20, 2015

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
The Dry Bones Academy

Help us launch the Dry Bones Academy of Cartoon Advocacy and Activism!
Never Again!
To see our YouTube preview click on
https://youtu.be/1-pltUp_ks8
Labels: Academy, cartoon wars, Cartoons, Holocaust, holocaust denial, Iran, Israel, Jews, Judaism, Shoah

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

JaggerMcDagger posted:

The Dry Bones Academy

Never Again!
Labels: Academy, cartoon wars, Cartoons, Holocaust, holocaust denial, Iran, Israel, Jews, Judaism, Shoah

Look at the professionalism on display!

Techniques? Developed?

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Oh god, I suddenly felt this urge to touch poop and it won't go away no matter how much I scrub or think about pure wholesome Semitic things

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

What techniques? I am not exaggerating when I say a 5 year old could draw better than Yakov.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Axetrain posted:

What techniques? I am not exaggerating when I say a 5 year old could draw better than Yakov.

Ted Rall probably couldn't, though.

Deep Hurting fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 20, 2015

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

JaggerMcDagger posted:

The Dry Bones Academy

Never Again!

I bet this could place in that contest.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Axetrain posted:

Technique of being an elderly shill with connections to various Israeli PR groups that make you effectively un-fireable.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

JaggerMcDagger posted:

The Dry Bones Academy

Never Again!

oh god I cant wait :allears:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Are we sure that's not Kirschen just slapping a '15 on an old cartoon about that one Holocaust denial contest?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Between this and his stroke a few months ago, I think he might be finally getting ready to hang it up for good.

.Edward Penischin
Jun 5, 2008

Beef Hardcheese posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the most famous "make a liberal's head asplode" pic (or at least what most people think of):

Which led to:

And then hilariously blew up into:

It seems the :911: lady is now known as "Jihad Barbie". The woman on the right in the bottom photo is Reem Riyashi, a Palestinian suicide bomber and mother of two.

You left out the part where she cheated on her husband after all this.

.Edward Penischin
Jun 5, 2008

JaggerMcDagger posted:

The Dry Bones Academy

Never Again!

Should have been posted next to the DbD Gary Trudeau/Charlie Hebdo thing.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
The difference between his current strips and the older ones is stunning. Older :tinsley: had a narrative, he used different perspectives, he drew things. Now it's flat angles and speech bubbles about poo poo that isn't even relevant anymore.

Portals posted:

I know it's a cheap shot, but :laugh:

Agreed, but it's deffo a :nattyburn:

Edit:

:unsmith: Yay!

Until this country has a congress/prez even more deranged than what we have and then :smith:

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 20, 2015

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

.Edward Penischin posted:

As a result of this, or what?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Go on? :munch:

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Sounds like a righteous, God-fearing person.

Ezekiel 23:20 (CEB) She lusted after their male consorts, whose sexual organs were like those of donkeys, and whose ejaculation was like that of horses. :pray:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
:nws: :nms: :siren: More horrific nipples on Day by Day :siren: :nms: :nws:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Hexigrammus posted:

Ezekiel 23:20 (CEB) She lusted after their male consorts, whose sexual organs were like those of donkeys, and whose ejaculation was like that of horses. :pray:

Proof that anime existed in biblical times.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Eventually Jan's gonna be one giant nipple.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Met posted:

Go on? :munch:

Found it

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

tacodaemon posted:

Eventually Jan's gonna be one giant nipple.

Her one tit in the first panel is fused to her arm.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Why are you censoring half the robot's face? Is it a giant boob?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

JaggerMcDagger posted:

The Dry Bones Academy

Never Again!

Some mean cartoons are just like the Holocaust for sure

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

ThatPazuzu posted:

Why are you censoring half the robot's face? Is it a giant boob?

They all are.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
I for one am looking forward for the Dry Bones protege. I mean if Latuff can have one, why not the septuagenarian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

• Locked thread