Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Reason posted:

If thats your screenshot it looks like the golem already turned the thing in front of him which activates that elevator after the bonfire that you start at near there.

Yeah, it's already turned. Keep going, you'll unlock a shortcut that will take you back to the bonfire and you will see the elevator is on the ground floor now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Weird, the elevator somehow activated itself when I was standing near it. I guess something somehow died up there? When I got to the golem I got confused and thought it was the key to opening the door to the mirror knight, but I had actually already picked the key up from the elevator ride.

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost

Azran posted:

Yeah, for a starter player, the DX11 version might be a LITTLE too hard at the beginning. But I think it evens out from there - I had no desire to replay anything that wasn't the DLC, SOTFS changed that.

The zone where Creighton's key is used to have an ambush and a cristal lizard. You'd see the lizard, chase after it, and get attacked by the hidden guys. Merciless Roana and a key are a better use of that zone in my opinion.

Also, I don't remember so many pirates. Maybe 3 or so. :v:

Huh, maybe I just got gud since I played the first one? I remember walking onto the boat repeatedly and getting swarmed by DOZENS of pirates. Dozens! Hundreds, even! I swear...

As for the darkness: I calibrated my monitor for both the original DS2 and SotFS by following the directions on the Options menu, and I swear the lighting in this version far more extreme in both directions. Though given the above pirate fever-dream I could've just been too hollow to remember.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It is. The whites are really crushed and ugly. If you stand in Majula with your shirt off your dude will practically glow in the sunlight.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I'm about to start playing SotFS after Dark Souls, going into it never having played Dark Souls 2. Is there a list of Really Important Things To Know for going between games?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

GodFish posted:

I'm about to start playing SotFS after Dark Souls, going into it never having played Dark Souls 2. Is there a list of Really Important Things To Know for going between games?

Raise your Adaptability until you have at least 100 Agility, this is especially important as someone who just finished Dark Souls. Other than that, go in completely blind.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

GodFish posted:

Try to get your Agility to 100-105. And it will be hard for you to go back to Dark Souls 1 after all the QOL changes in Dark Souls 2.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
That seems unanimous, thanks!

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Agility is a great thing to have but not necessarily the first thing you should invest in.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The other thing is they over-nerfed Endurance by splitting it into two separate stats, Vitality (equip load, softcaps at 29) and Endurance (stamina, softcaps at 20), so don't gun for 40 Endurance.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Are either of those stats even remotely worth putting points in now? I can see maybe taking some Endurance if you're using a large weapon and can't afford to use Chloranthy, but they seem so mediocre otherwise when Vigor, Adaptability, Attunement, and offensive stats are all important for most builds.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 20, 2015

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

20 endurance is always pretty worthwhile, as stamina is kind of important.

Vitality is one of the worst stats now though, especially with the hits armor has taken. Flynn's Ring put the final nail in the coffin. Really, the powerful nature of RoBFlynn with fast weapons has skewed the entire game balance. It makes slower weapons comparatively weaker, and it makes heavier armor a poorer choice. The idea of Flynn's ring is neat, but I kind of wish it didn't exist.

Endurance was an uberstat in Dark Souls 1, and it was always one I put a lot of points in. I loved rocking my black iron armor and black knight greataxe. I kind of miss it, honestly.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 20, 2015

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Filthy Monkey posted:

20 endurance is always pretty worthwhile, as stamina is kind of important.

Vitality is one of the worst stats now though, especially with the hits armor has taken. Flynn's Ring put the final nail in the coffin. Really, the powerful nature of RoBFlynn with fast weapons has skewed the entire game balance. It makes slower weapons comparatively weaker, and it makes heavier armor a poorer choice. The idea of Flynn's ring is neat, but I kind of wish it didn't exist.

Endurance was an uberstat in Dark Souls 1, and it was always one I put a lot of points in. I loved rocking my black iron armor and black knight greataxe. I kind of miss it, honestly.

Vitality enables more Fashion Souls options, this is irrelevant.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

argondamn posted:

Agility is a great thing to have but not necessarily the first thing you should invest in.

It is if you picked Warrior start without knowing they start with 5 I frames, compared to a DS1 fat roll's 9 :shepface:

I mean yeah, you could get by. But not knowing that ahead of time can really gently caress with you.

EDIT: Warrior is basically a surprise gently caress you edge case though, most classes start with 8 I frames, and even the Warrior only needs two points put into Adaptability to get 8.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 20, 2015

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

After farming Heide Knights for a while to no avail, I'm a bit lost as to what I should take for a weapon on a faith-based character. Not being able to grab a Heide Knight Sword anymore is really sad.

Are there any other weapons with decent faith scaling that you can pick up early, other than grabbing a lightning enchantment on something?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Heide spear is really effective, and drops from the knight in the passageway to the lost sinner. Not too hard to get though. Either kill the flexile sentry in no mans and shortcut the ruin sentinals, or kill the ruin sentinals.

Also, a hacker broke all the gear on my poor low level Minotaur. Kind of sad. I was even using an unupgraded drakekeeper greataxe too, just to make it more challenging for the low level people I was fighting. The craftsman hammer was ending it too fast. Already have the second sunken king bonfire. Just need to get some piece of gear that can actually break the statues to get to the repair tree switch.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 20, 2015

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Staying below 50% equip load has a largish effect on stamina regen. It's also really convenient to have 2 weapons equipped for both durability and moveset variation, so I find 20 Vitality way more useful than 20 Vigor and generally raise Vigor beyond 12-14 last.

The 2 Agility breakpoints of most interest are at 99 & 105. 99 is equivalent to DS1 fast roll, I believe, and suffices until you've got the rest of your key stats (stamina!, damage) up or even for the whole game.

The other big difference from DS1 is that 2-handing gives you 2x effective Strength for minimum reqs instead of 1.5x.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
100 agi is an estus breakpoint so I like to grab that one

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Filthy Monkey posted:

Heide spear is really effective, and drops from the knight in the passageway to the lost sinner. Not too hard to get though. Either kill the flexile sentry in no mans and shortcut the ruin sentinals, or kill the ruin sentinals.

Also, a hacker broke all the gear on my poor low level Minotaur. Kind of sad. I was even using an unupgraded drakekeeper greataxe too, just to make it more challenging for the low level people I was fighting. The craftsman hammer was ending it too fast. Already have the second sunken king bonfire. Just need to get some piece of gear that can actually break the statues to get to the repair tree switch.

You can break those statues with the special attack from the Sanctum Crossbow you get later in that DLC. Other than that I think you need a greatbow or one of a couple spells.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I think you can break them with iron arrows/heavy bolts.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

While we're talking about DLC the Sunken King is loving awesome. It's weird and dangerous, especially when you're blindly running through crypts while you're followed by invincible undead Lords. Reminds me of playing through the Catacombs for the first time in DS1.

Cascade Failure
Jan 8, 2010
There's no need to break the statues if you drop down on the rising platform, you get a clear shot at the switch from down there..

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Filthy Monkey posted:

Already have the second sunken king bonfire. Just need to get some piece of gear that can actually break the statues to get to the repair tree switch.

Alternatively just skip all that bullshit and shoot the switch from a different angle. Go to where the bridge will be:

Look down:

Drop down to on top of the bridge, and look back up:

Shoot it with your accurate ranged switch-hitting weapon of choice (crossbow here, not pictured), and ride the bridge as it goes back up:

Hop down and you can stroll across as usual:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I take back what I said about the Sunken King DLC. The first boss is the laziest souls boss. "They loved O&S! Lets have them fight three phantoms at once! :downs:"

e: Welp it's the first boss I've found.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 20, 2015

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

fennesz posted:

I take back what I said about the Sunken King DLC. The first boss is the laziest souls boss. "They loved O&S! Lets have them fight three phantoms at once! :downs:"

That's not the first boss, it's the optional boss.

And I think it's supposed to represent a gank squad. :v:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Yeah the 'coop' areas put a sour taste in my mouth. Then I played Iron King and the entire thing was sour :v:

Cool looking place but jfc that incessant clanking in the background. Majula has a similar problem with the wind, and a few other areas, but nothing is as bad as Brume Tower background noise while you're fighting in a really tough and nasty area. Wish this game had an ambient sound volume slider.

Iron King did have a cool story and a few great bosses, but it also had Iron Passage :mad:

I think Sunken King and Ivory King were my favorites, Sunken just oozes atmosphere, and I'm a huge sucker for snowy areas in Ivory, plus goddamn at the final boss encounter style.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Iron King DLC is pretty crap. With maybe one or two exceptions (the assassin lol), it is very uninteresting outside of the Fume Knight and Sir Alonne bossfights. The worst thing is getting to the Sir Alonne bossfight--you have to trudge through a boring and ugly complex crammed full of Alonne knights and salamanders. The memory of the Old Iron King should have just been the Alonne bossfight on its own.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
It's still baffling to me how much all the co-op DLC areas sucked. Considering that From made it so that non-DLC owners could be summoned in, you'd think that they would have put in some effort.
I mean if I didn't own the DLC and wanted to see what it was like by doing some jolly co-op in the DLC areas, I would have walked away thinking it was a steaming pile of poo poo.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

Are either of those stats even remotely worth putting points in now? I can see maybe taking some Endurance if you're using a large weapon and can't afford to use Chloranthy, but they seem so mediocre otherwise when Vigor, Adaptability, Attunement, and offensive stats are all important for most builds.

Endurance is always worth getting to 20. If you're not using Ring of Flynn, Vitality is worth getting up to 29 eventually just so you have as low an equip burden as possible while wearing whatever the hell you want to wear, it's just pretty much the last thing you do unless you want to wear thick armour.

Nien
Apr 29, 2013
In the last 1200 pages has there been any definitive discussion about keyboard and mouse set-up? I'm using an ahk script which is ok, but still not optimal. Does the new $20 version fix this poo poo?

I have a 360 controller but goddamn hate playing with it. Even with a big monitor I feel like I should be sitting on the couch, not at my PC. And timing seems everything in the 10 hours I've played. SO I NEED TO BE COMFORTABLE AND RELAXED.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nien posted:

In the last 1200 pages has there been any definitive discussion about keyboard and mouse set-up?

Yes. It's a bad way to play the game.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nien posted:

In the last 1200 pages has there been any definitive discussion about keyboard and mouse set-up? I'm using an ahk script which is ok, but still not optimal. Does the new $20 version fix this poo poo?

Okay, here's the deal: the reason for the janky mouse delay is entirely because of the double-click option. This can be disabled on the Keyboard Setup panel in options and it 100% solves the mouse issue. The downside is that it continually resets whenever you close the game and start it up again, meaning you have to disable it on startup every time. This is less than optimal, but the AHK script that I tried made it so that I could no longer perform running attacks, which is a huge issue for me.

Beyond that, my keyboard/mouse setup is:

M1/G - Normal Right-Hand
M2 - Normal Left-Hand
Q - Two-Handing/Power Stance
E - Use Item
F - Switch Items
R - Switch Left-Hand
2 - Switch Right-Hand
C - Switch Spells
T - Strong Right-Hand
Shift - Strong Left-Hand
Space - Roll/Sprint
CTRL - Jump
Tab - Target Lock

I know this probably looks like a super awkward setup, but I've played a lot of MMOs that require me to act like I'm at a pipe organ. T and G are at good positions to combine with W (forward) for guard breaks/jump attacks, and most of the major actions like parrying, rolling, and item use are at easily accessible buttons.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

Vermain posted:

Okay, here's the deal: the reason for the janky mouse delay is entirely because of the double-click option. This can be disabled on the Keyboard Setup panel in options and it 100% solves the mouse issue. The downside is that it continually resets whenever you close the game and start it up again, meaning you have to disable it on startup every time. This is less than optimal, but the AHK script that I tried made it so that I could no longer perform running attacks, which is a huge issue for me.

Beyond that, my keyboard/mouse setup is:

M1/G - Normal Right-Hand
M2 - Normal Left-Hand
Q - Two-Handing/Power Stance
E - Use Item
F - Switch Items
R - Switch Left-Hand
2 - Switch Right-Hand
C - Switch Spells
T - Strong Right-Hand
Shift - Strong Left-Hand
Space - Roll/Sprint
CTRL - Jump
Tab - Target Lock

I know this probably looks like a super awkward setup, but I've played a lot of MMOs that require me to act like I'm at a pipe organ. T and G are at good positions to combine with W (forward) for guard breaks/jump attacks, and most of the major actions like parrying, rolling, and item use are at easily accessible buttons.

I'm getting flashbacks to the early TF2 threads with people posting their control binds requiring three 7-fingered hands to use effectively . Hell, I'm getting flashbacks to the 90s and people using all-keyboard controls in Quake with 8 different keys only for different horizontal turning speeds.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Vermain posted:

This is less than optimal, but the AHK script that I tried made it so that I could no longer perform running attacks, which is a huge issue for me.
I use this AHK script in combination with this key layout and can do running attacks without problem.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

victrix posted:

Yeah the 'coop' areas put a sour taste in my mouth. Then I played Iron King and the entire thing was sour :v:

Cool looking place but jfc that incessant clanking in the background. Majula has a similar problem with the wind, and a few other areas, but nothing is as bad as Brume Tower background noise while you're fighting in a really tough and nasty area. Wish this game had an ambient sound volume slider.

Iron King did have a cool story and a few great bosses, but it also had Iron Passage :mad:

I think Sunken King and Ivory King were my favorites, Sunken just oozes atmosphere, and I'm a huge sucker for snowy areas in Ivory, plus goddamn at the final boss encounter style.

Brume tower was the best of the DLC areas IMO. That's not saying it was great or anything, but it sure was better than the huge eleum loyce area or shulva.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Senethro posted:

I'm getting flashbacks to the early TF2 threads with people posting their control binds requiring three 7-fingered hands to use effectively . Hell, I'm getting flashbacks to the 90s and people using all-keyboard controls in Quake with 8 different keys only for different horizontal turning speeds.

It looks like a complicated setup, but it's honestly not at all cumbersome. The keys I use the most (Q, E, F, R, Shift, Space) are all either very small movements away from WASD or are keys that I already have my fingers on perpetually (left pinky on Shift, thumb on Space).

Raygereio posted:

I use this AHK script in combination with this key layout and can do running attacks without problem.

That's probably the issue; I was using a much simpler script. I'll give that one a shot. Thanks!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Raygereio posted:

It's still baffling to me how much all the co-op DLC areas sucked. Considering that From made it so that non-DLC owners could be summoned in, you'd think that they would have put in some effort.

They did, their publisher just gave them a baffling one month apart between DLC releases. I have more than enough complaints with them but I'm still surprised they were able to push out what they did in that little time.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

They did, their publisher just gave them a baffling one month apart between DLC releases. I have more than enough complaints with them but I'm still surprised they were able to push out what they did in that little time.
That's true. It is quite impressive what From managed in that timeframe. It's just that all the co-op areas stand out to me as being significantly lower in quality then the rest of the DLCs' content.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Raygereio posted:

That's true. It is quite impressive what From managed in that timeframe. It's just that all the co-op areas stand out to me as being significantly lower in quality then the rest of the DLCs' content.

They are lower quality. Two short annoying caves and a snowy wasteland with nothing in it besides frustration. Two out of the three bosses are recycled to be there. Gank Squad was a nice concept though, eventhough it took me a good 20+ tries to get through them. Getting to the bosses in any of those co-op areas is just annoying more than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

So, Sunken King. A giant cavern filled with monsters that have magic ranged attacks, boss level HP and a jump move that breaks lock on. Haha yep, I think I'm going to just stick with the main game from here on out. I'm really surprised that From keeps resorting to really weird forms of artificial difficulty.