Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This actually seems like a good idea, except that after watching the video and reading the pitch I have zero confidence in their ability to write decent adventures. They can't even give their pitch without having their laptops set up in front of them to read their lines.

I agree that a lot of games could use stand-alone quickstarts or "here's how to run this" packets (hell, that's how the Dungeon World Guide got started), but I don't think this is exactly the team to do it.

Also when I see a KS say something like "+5 Boots of Awesome!" I want to punch someone.

e: also :lol: at Tephra, a game only known to the people who kickstarted it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

They put their first update in the campaign description?

They did a podcast with some outfit called "Additional Pylons", so now I am on board with hating them instead of feeling pity.

EDIT:

quote:

I'm a GM. Can't I just do that myself?

Yes. Yes, you can. I'm sure you write fantastic stories and create great challenges for your players.

That reads as sarcastic. I love it again.

EDIT 2: Are they seriously shipping a USB stick in every box, including the $35 one? Even using 1GB bargain bin crap that seems like a bad use of funds.

This poo poo is organized like poo poo.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 20, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Plague of Hats posted:

EDIT 2: Are they seriously shipping a USB stick in every box, including the $35 one? Even at 1GB that seems like a bad use of funds.

That's what I was wondering, too...that's how it reads, but just some basic Googling says that 100 1GB drives could cost anywhere from $200 to $400. That's a lot of money for something that could be handled by a shared Dropbox folder or something. And that's before you get into things like shipping costs.

It's like the dice; they don't need to send dice unless it's something like Fate or DCC where you need specific non-standard dice to play. And despite their "I don't need more dice...said no gamer ever" comment, I honestly do not need more dice.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
And even then, a d6 to FATE conversion table is all of three lines. If you really need weird dice... choose another game.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Oh my loving Christ, if nothing else, everyone needs to watch the beginning of their pitch video.

EDIT: Wait, what? "We're making adventures for open-content licensed games" and their campaign description mentions Dark Heresy, WoD and GURPS.

Oh, okay, the next paragraph is "we really want to do other stuff but we don't have the money or connections."

EDIT 2: Haha, I thought I'd accidentally paused their pitch video while tabbing, but no, it just trails off and clips the end of the last pointless word that dude was saying.

EDIT 3: Evil Mastermind, your original post on this Kickstarter tricked me into thinking it was only a wrong-time wrong-place thing and not an actual clusterfuck.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 20, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Plague of Hats posted:

EDIT: Wait, what? "We're making adventures for open-content licensed games" and their campaign description mentions Dark Heresy, WoD and GURPS.
I think they're saying that because they want to include a rules quick-start in the box, but yeah there's a bunch of games they mention that aren't OGL at all. They mention "asking politely" but I doubt a lot of companies are going to pay attention to them (assuming this funds).

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Snack recipes, say for instance, "a bowl of popcorn and some glasses of wine." :psyduck:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

quote:

Pledge $5,000 or more
BIGSBY'S BIG BOSS BOXEN

We will DM the first issue for your party, either in person or via Roll20. We'll work it out.

We'll also make you a recurring BIG BAD EVIL GUY in the OGL system of your choosing.

+ BIGSBY'S BARGAIN BOXEN

Also we'll sing you a song.

NEW: You also get Bigsby's Wizard Hat! As seen in our promo video!
Limited (1 of 1 remaining)

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It's a cute idea, but it's the kind of cute idea that lives tidily on someone's blog, or in the wilds of Drivethru next to D20 Tentacle Monster. Bundling dice, and USB sticks, and sachets of spices is an uncomfortable reminder of early Kickstarter failures.

On the other hand, they're asking forty bucks a box.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Have they said what the first game is going to be? It seems like something like this would really step on the toes of something like, say, the Pathfinder Beginner Box

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I mean, the idea of doing a TTG style interpretation of the Lootcrate model isn't a bad one per say but these people aren't going to not gently caress it up. You need to include dice and things because thats what people expect from these sorts of "monthly box of stuff" deals, they're all about the swag and stuff.

I think the best way to do it would be to pay someone to write up new adventures and then work some deals with publishers to get the equivalent of those Free RPG Day rules and stuff. You'd then pad the months you don't have "real" content with OGL stuff. poo poo like USB drives, T-shirts, cards, miniatures and such are all great ideas and definitely should be included. You'd need to establish connections in China to get your swag cheap, and you'd probably wan't to register as an actual game store so you could go through places like Alliance and Noble Knight to get old/OOP stuff that no one wants at retailer pricing.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Even if their pitch didn't sound like a couple of dorks sitting on a couch and one of them says "Hey, Jerry, I've got a cool idea", these people clearly don't have the money or connections to do this right. If you want $12k, you don't have to spend $1k on an amazing mic with filters, but you're going to have to at least find a room that doesn't loving echo so much.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So they're trying to do what pathfinder has already done? The difference is in the lack of a genius marketing team that turned that raw edition war thinking that happens every time into pure profits. Hypothetically speaking, can you still do what old paizo publishing did with their 3.5 supplements before they started pathfinder?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Have they said what the first game is going to be? It seems like something like this would really step on the toes of something like, say, the Pathfinder Beginner Box
I'm sure they'll be fine with it, seeing how they re-released the exact same rules to rubes.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Plague of Hats posted:

Even if their pitch didn't sound like a couple of dorks sitting on a couch and one of them says "Hey, Jerry, I've got a cool idea", these people clearly don't have the money or connections to do this right. If you want $12k, you don't have to spend $1k on an amazing mic with filters, but you're going to have to at least find a room that doesn't loving echo so much.

You could also try to memorize your five lines instead of hiding behind a wall of laptops and visibly reading your lines off them.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It would have been better if they'd stayed silent and just let the wizard do everything for them.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

A black-and-white infomercial style would've been great. The laptop scene should've been black and white when the wizard materializes, clears the desk, and lays out the contents of each pack while the scene turns to color. then a giant BUY OUR STUFF local ad style emblazoned on the screen.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
They could have at least tried to get a take where they don't fumble over their lines.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You're assuming they did multiple takes. :v:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

CodfishCartographer posted:

They could have at least tried to get a take where they don't fumble over their lines.

Think about it: that was the best take.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Also solved 15+ years ago with digital versions of the rules (Core Rules was a CD-Rom with the 2nd edition rules available on it; 3rd edition came with a CD-ROm for the character builder which had spells - and the D20 SRD is hyperlinked).

Yep. Except 5e isn't digital (which is a dumb decision, in my opinion, but it is what it is.)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I admit to knowing very little about fifth edition. I tried going to the chatty thread where people are allowed to bag on it, but it had been moved to BYOB or something and then it got closed.

I'm not interested enough to bother reading the thousands and thousands of posts in the TG D&D Next thread. So, I'm just assuming that it's regressive and cocked up and bad.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Leperflesh posted:

I admit to knowing very little about fifth edition. I tried going to the chatty thread where people are allowed to bag on it, but it had been moved to BYOB or something and then it got closed.

I'm not interested enough to bother reading the thousands and thousands of posts in the TG D&D Next thread. So, I'm just assuming that it's regressive and cocked up and bad.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > D&D NEXT: it's regressive and cocked up and bad

Yes. Yes it is.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Leperflesh posted:

It's pretty much "I didn't like D&D4, let's try something like D&D3 again", which is loving pathetic for the flagship product of the industry. Wizards' bizarrely regressive policies on PDFs started with 4E, though, at least partially because they couldn't plug their in-house leaks. So, you know, gently caress your customers for that, I guess.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I dunno, being regressive seems to be working fabulously for Pathfinder. I'm assuming D&D Next will be a Pathfinder also-ran, in terms of sales, and then D&D itself will either be canceled completely, or someone will get a clue that differentiating your products from that of your competitor is more effective then emulating your competitor.

But again, these are all fairly unfounded assumptions, because I just haven't taken the time to find out for myself what D&D next is. And this probably isn't the right thread to go into it.

...can we get an official "poo poo on D&D next" thread? Because like I said, the one that used to exist is gone now.

e. I mean, lol at this:

Just... no.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

...can we get an official "poo poo on D&D next" thread?

Yes, it's called the D&D Next thread.

For instance, the latest discussion is the guy who raised the AoE/fetus question planting his flag on the hill of rolling random stats for chargen with the argument that "sure, sometimes your characters will be poo poo, but boy does it feel good when you roll three 18''s!" among other stupidity. There's no need for an official "poo poo on Next" thread because Next is such an aggressively mediocre game with so much half-assed about it and whose proponents tend to be some stripe of moron that the only way a discussion thread about it isn't going to involve some level of bagging on it is if you enforce RPGnet style "[+] thread" etiquette (or post it to ENWorld I guess).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The OP says that edition wars aren't allowed, so I believed that.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I think it's fair to prefer a more condensed, focused critique than listening to a thousand howling madmen at once. Maybe someone particularly funny could F&F it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean you don't have to go in there guns blazing, but there are only so many ways you can diplomatically tapdance around things like "the encounter building guidelines are constructed entirely on gutfeels and fairy dust" or "Fighters are pretty much back to being a chump option" or "all the spells in the game are in one big unorganized alphabetical list instead of something useful, in this the year of our lord 2015."

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

The OP says that edition wars aren't allowed, so I believed that.

Calling a game poo poo isn't necessarily edition warring!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Leperflesh posted:

...can we get an official "poo poo on D&D next" thread? Because like I said, the one that used to exist is gone now.

That is the poo poo on D&D Next thread. Ettin had to make an entirely separate thread supposedly for discussion on actually playing the thing because the original thread kept getting derailed by people whining about TG not being kind enough to Next.

And believe you me Next is poo poo enough of its own accord, edition warring not included.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK, well then. In that case, can we have a thread that isn't over sixteen thousand posts? Probably not, it's just too popular a thread. I'm pretty sure I'm being lazy and unreasonable at this point, but thanks for letting me know that thread isn't as constrained as I'd thought.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Kai Tave posted:

I mean you don't have to go in there guns blazing, but there are only so many ways you can diplomatically tapdance around things like "the encounter building guidelines are constructed entirely on gutfeels and fairy dust" or "Fighters are pretty much back to being a chump option" or "all the spells in the game are in one big unorganized alphabetical list instead of something useful, in this the year of our lord 2015."

Toss is a reminder that the warlord was removed literally because "shouting hands back on is dumb" and you're all set. Cut and print.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

For instance, the latest discussion is the guy who raised the AoE/fetus question planting his flag on the hill of rolling random stats for chargen with the argument that "sure, sometimes your characters will be poo poo, but boy does it feel good when you roll three 18''s!" among other stupidity.

"Why do you keep slamming your head into the wall?"
"Because it feels so good when I stop!"

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, Millennium Blades funded, and now they added the first stretch goals to the project page. These add small bits to the game every 10k in pledges, though the 100k goal will add an expansion with 10 new card sets (12 cards each, so 120 total). I dont think it says so there but from the comments I get that this will be an add-on.

Also there's a new pledge tier: 3 copies of the basic Gamer tier for triple the price, but with a lower shipping per copy. It lowers the international shipping from 43 to 22 (per copy).

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Plague of Hats posted:

I think it's fair to prefer a more condensed, focused critique than listening to a thousand howling madmen at once. Maybe someone particularly funny could F&F it.

Well volunteered.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I have a theoretical kickstarter question.

Why am I seeing 2-3 'dark fantasy' RPGs a month recently (50% of which are d20)? Is it just "Game of Thrones is a popular TV show, what if we capitalized on that", but with bitcoins RPGs?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

DalaranJ posted:

I have a theoretical kickstarter question.

Why am I seeing 2-3 'dark fantasy' RPGs a month recently (50% of which are d20)? Is it just "Game of Thrones is a popular TV show, what if we capitalized on that", but with bitcoins RPGs?

It's the cultural zeitgeist or some poo poo, like how steampunk was a few years back.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Also nerds have always loved trying to "prove" how "mature" their hobbies are as if anyone else really gives a gently caress.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Mehuyael posted:

Oh yeah, Millennium Blades funded, and now they added the first stretch goals to the project page. These add small bits to the game every 10k in pledges, though the 100k goal will add an expansion with 10 new card sets (12 cards each, so 120 total). I dont think it says so there but from the comments I get that this will be an add-on.

Also there's a new pledge tier: 3 copies of the basic Gamer tier for triple the price, but with a lower shipping per copy. It lowers the international shipping from 43 to 22 (per copy).

Probably an addon, yeah. The expansion for Argent was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

malkav11 posted:

Probably an addon, yeah. The expansion for Argent was.

Unless they send you a copy of the expansion when you didn't pledge for it, like they did to me with Argent.

• Locked thread