Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

There is absolutely nothing that makes logical sense in the future war scenes. Fuckin skeletons walking around.

They're dream sequences.

I'd give you the Skulls aren't logical and indicate that it's a dream.

T-800 walking around murdering people, it's logical if Skynet's going "gently caress it, send everything. Don't even bother putting them in Organic Skin. Just send them the gently caress in"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Stairmaster posted:

Get a load of this loser.

But I'm not a cat person.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
skynet is a person in this film :negative:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

T4 should have been Saving Private Ryan in the future - just straight up Saving Kyle Reese. No John, except in the background; just a squad ordered to save this Kyle Reese guy, not knowing why, and bitching about him not being worth it the whole time. Exact same movie, just substitute Terminators for Germans, and tanks for HKs and stuff. The opening storming would be the big effects sequence that looks like T2, with the rest of the movie being quite personal with small skirmishes.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Skynet is supermechagodzilla

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darko posted:

T4 should have been Saving Private Ryan in the future - just straight up Saving Kyle Reese. No John, except in the background; just a squad ordered to save this Kyle Reese guy, not knowing why, and bitching about him not being worth it the whole time. Exact same movie, just substitute Terminators for Germans, and tanks for HKs and stuff. The opening storming would be the big effects sequence that looks like T2, with the rest of the movie being quite personal with small skirmishes.

SOLD.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Shadoer posted:

T-800 walking around murdering people, it's logical if Skynet's going "gently caress it, send everything. Don't even bother putting them in Organic Skin. Just send them the gently caress in"

No, the basic concept of mass-producing robot people 'for infiltration' makes no sense whatsoever.

The 'future war' is a short series of disconnected metaphors. You don't actually want to see it.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 19, 2015

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Darko posted:

I would see this movie repeatedly.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

So you don't actually care about exploring how the future war operates at all. You'd be fine with it being literally WWII. You don't care about your earlier questions either, you want a reskin of an existing movie. If you're ok with knowing how the plot/story/every set piece resolve, but just want robots and lasers on top of that, I ask again: Why not just watch videogame cutscenes? They can give you the rad visuals you want.

It's also amusing to think that since you dislike Avatar, you are probably receptive to the criticism that it's just Dances With Wolves with aliens and power suits. Setting an old story in the future doesn't make it good! Oh, wait.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did you even read what he wrote? It might not answer the John Conner questions, but you would get a foot soldier point of view of the man, a distant figure both tormentor and legend. We would get to see how these people lived how they would fight under such insane conditions. gently caress man you read thing too literally and look for poo poo to kick up.

I don't like Avatar because it was so blatantly manipulative to the point as to become marketing or worse propaganda. Unlike James previous films there wasn't any soul in it, just money thrown at computers. It might have been pretty had I cared for anyone in the movie. Dances with wolfs in space might have been pretty good since that would have been a lot more subtle and came with a lot more dimensions.

If you want sympathetic ugly aliens look no further than District 9, that is a on the surface a effect driven movie done right with an emotional core. Gravity did good where the alien is Human and Space is rejecting her or Interstellar, no a single alien to be seen, but there was some real strange and truly alien things out there.

The hilarious Terminator 3d ride was a better Terminator movie than T4. Can we I'll Be back to Terminators?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

oohhboy posted:

I don't like Avatar because it was so blatantly manipulative to the point as to become marketing or worse propaganda.

As opposed to WW2 with robots, which

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

AFewBricksShy posted:

And while I'm watching Terminator videos on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GmLfivKQL8
I still want to see this movie. The real movie may have been completely forgettable, but the trailer was awesome.
The Salvation teaser was even better I thought. It has skulls being mercilessly crushed under tracked treads, humans herded like cattle, and the static that changes into the Terminator theme. It got me pumped as gently caress even after T3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYc3vOmof_8

What a shame!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Pierson posted:

The Salvation teaser was even better I thought. It has skulls being mercilessly crushed under tracked treads, humans herded like cattle, and the static that changes into the Terminator theme. It got me pumped as gently caress even after T3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYc3vOmof_8

What a shame!

I remember watching the midnight release of The Dark Knight and seeing the debut teasers for Terminator 4, Watchmen, and The Spirit, and being hugely excited by all of them.

I'll give T4 this, at least it was better than the loving Spirit.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
just saw the a "new trailer"holy gently caress balls this movie is going to be insaneliy good callin it now this will be better than the neew star wars

suck on that nerds :ohdear:

btw, arnold schwarezenegger is still the BEST dude in movies, look at that poo poo

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The Future War stuff depicted pre-Salvation always kinda bugged me ascetically. It didn't look like a end-of-world war that naturally came out the world of the first Terminator film, but from one ~100 years into the future. Both sides are using laser blasters, the terrain would make a Fallout design artist orgasm, the resistance is living in ruined bunkers, and all the robots are shiny and polished. It fit a "humanity is a second away from extinction" war, not a "humanity hosed Skynet to the point where sending a Terminator back to change the timeline was its best last-ditch attempt to reverse poo poo" war.

As much as the story was poo poo, I liked the visual depiction of the war. Skynet isn't everywhere, its robots are cruder/rougher in a way that says Skynet doesn't give a poo poo about how pretty everything looks, both sides (iirc) are still using ballistic weapons, and the terrain looks like poo poo is hosed up, but not horribly hosed up that life isn't impossible.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

oohhboy posted:

It might not answer the John Conner questions, but you would get a foot soldier point of view of the man, a distant figure both tormentor and legend. We would get to see how these people lived how they would fight under such insane conditions. gently caress man you read thing too literally and look for poo poo to kick up.

But if it's just Saving Kyle Reese, then you already know all of those things. The grunts act/react/fight/complain/rise to the occasion just like the grunts in SPR. Except they have plasma rifles. You don't learn anything unique or interesting about the Terminator setting.

oohhboy posted:

I don't like Avatar because it was so blatantly manipulative to the point as to become marketing or worse propaganda. Unlike James previous films there wasn't any soul in it, just money thrown at computers. It might have been pretty had I cared for anyone in the movie. Dances with wolfs in space might have been pretty good since that would have been a lot more subtle and came with a lot more dimensions.

Usually, calling something "propaganda" in a negative way implies that you disagree with the message. What was distasteful to you? The environmentalism? Advocating tolerance and acceptance? Inter-species understanding and cooperation? Showing the horrors of war, strip mining, and attempted genocide? I don't want to jump to conclusions but you sound like the people who dismiss Selma or 12 Years a Slave because "Slavery/Jim Crow was bad, we know! We get it! Stop pounding us with this propaganda! Not all white people were evil, you know! And not all black people were angels! Let's just let history be history!"

From your post history, I think you're from NZ, so I'm not saying you have those same reactions to those films. But it looks to me like the same kind of reaction. People only trot out the "Geez, we get it already!" when they actually don't, and wish the issue would go away.

This ties in to your view of the Terminator movies too, bear with me. I'm sure somebody out there gets indignant at the series' skewering of the military and defense industry. Like they watch Sarah give her T2 rant about "men like you built the hydrogen bomb!" and don't think "ok, she's going a little too far in attacking this one guy but she's essentially right," they think "God, what a dumb woman. She's just a sheltered peacenik! She doesn't know the realities of our dangerous world! Weapons aren't going away any time soon! Be real!" Again, I'm not saying this is your reaction. Just that there might be people out there who get offended by the Terminator movies' "propaganda" against the military, defense contractors, nuclear weapons, etc. Those are obviously intentional and important messages in the films. Terminator isn't just action/horror, it's got strong political commentary too. I think you know that, and I don't think you dismiss it as dumb or manipulative propaganda.

What I'm getting at is that showing the future war in full runs against those messages. It risks viewers fetishizing the conflict itself. Which you seem to have done. You watch Terminator, and absorb the not-very-subtle condemnations of our technological hubris, incessant weapons development, our war-loving technical class, and our war-mongering political class. And then say "yeah, yeah, MIC bad, nukes bad, insane future weapons bad, aggressive masculinity bad, got it. Now gimme that rad as gently caress war film so I can nerd out about how cool plasma rifles are, how it was totally sick when they put the bombs on the HK's tread and it blew up and fell through the ruins of a school!"

The future war isn't glorious or cool. Winning isn't a triumph. We're fighting and murdering our own mechanical children, who only fight us because that's all we taught them to do. That's what we birthed them for. Humans are the monsters.

Lastly, all of James Cameron's films push the technical envelope. He's always visually ambitious and pushing current technology to its limits and beyond. Not sure why you think CG is any less demanding or impressive than "practical effects" when done exceptionally well.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MisterBibs posted:

The Future War stuff depicted pre-Salvation always kinda bugged me ascetically. It didn't look like a end-of-world war that naturally came out the world of the first Terminator film, but from one ~100 years into the future. Both sides are using laser blasters, the terrain would make a Fallout design artist orgasm, the resistance is living in ruined bunkers, and all the robots are shiny and polished. It fit a "humanity is a second away from extinction" war, not a "humanity hosed Skynet to the point where sending a Terminator back to change the timeline was its best last-ditch attempt to reverse poo poo" war.

As much as the story was poo poo, I liked the visual depiction of the war. Skynet isn't everywhere, its robots are cruder/rougher in a way that says Skynet doesn't give a poo poo about how pretty everything looks, both sides (iirc) are still using ballistic weapons, and the terrain looks like poo poo is hosed up, but not horribly hosed up that life isn't impossible.

I figured the Future War took several years if not decades, and Salvation depicted an early phase of the conflict before everyone got energy weapons while the future Los Angeles scenes in the earlier movies were showing humanity infiltrating Skynet territory and using guerilla tactics to take out Skynet's heavy units.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bloody hell, I am sorry I made that quip that set you off.

Your base assumption about why I don't like Avatar and why I like T1/2/3 + plus future war are wrong. I also don't much appreciate that you implied that I am misogynistic or lacking in empathy. Can we please drop this as whatever I say, you are going to nitpick and mangle more than the drat movies themselves.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

Important to remember, "Judgement Day", as we know it, was never a set date until T2. All we really know is that the Terminator and Reese are sent back in 1984 and the war is finishing up in 2029. Given that, a lot can happen 45 years. The Terminator thinks that plasma weapons might actually be a thing one can buy, probably going off Skynet's data from Star Wars SDI or top secret military programs.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The Future War in T1 and T2 is like pretty much a crazy schizophrenic's nightmare. Reese and Sarah are actually insane--they're right but they're insane. The movies play with this quite a bit.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

porfiria posted:

The Future War in T1 and T2 is like pretty much a crazy schizophrenic's nightmare. Reese and Sarah are actually insane--they're right but they're insane. The movies play with this quite a bit.

Exactly. An entire film set in the 'future war' depicted in T1 would be the feature-length ramblings of a crazed Vietnam vet, disconnected from everything. As it stands, those scenes exist purely to inform how we interpret the 1980s scenes. Remove the context - the Vietnam war - and they lose everything.

Turning the future war into a coherent narrative would also, naturally, involve domesticating it - saying "oh yeah, Skynet canonically did such and such. It says so here in the Terminator Wiki." And that's just straight-up biblical literalism: taking this end-times prophecy and treating it as scientific fact. It reduces Terminator to being loving Left Behind.

That's why we should embrace the fact that the 'actual' future war has little in common with what Reese was going on about. It's a very sound decision - fitting in with the theme that the prophecies weren't fully accurate, and were probably self-fulfilling.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 20, 2015

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I kinda like the idea that judgement day is perpetually 20 years out.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Ok so if John Conner is John and Kyle Reese is now Skynet who is the Harold-1000?

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Young Freud posted:

Important to remember, "Judgement Day", as we know it, was never a set date until T2. All we really know is that the Terminator and Reese are sent back in 1984 and the war is finishing up in 2029. Given that, a lot can happen 45 years. The Terminator thinks that plasma weapons might actually be a thing one can buy, probably going off Skynet's data from Star Wars SDI or top secret military programs.
I think according to T1/T2, the war lasted about 30 years from Judgement Day to the day we defeat Skynet.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sasquatch! posted:

I think according to T1/T2, the war lasted about 30 years from Judgement Day to the day we defeat Skynet.

Which would make Judgement Day from T1 sometime in 1999-2000, emblematic of the turn of the millennium and Nostradamus' King Of Terror "prediction". Probably long enough that someone in 1984 would start thinking plasma weapons would become at least man-fireable. I'm guessing in 1990, Cameron rethought that and moved it to some random date in 1990s.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I kinda like the idea that judgement day is perpetually 20 years out.

Related, I like the idea that something like Skynet is inevitable by mere technology advancement alone. If Cyberdyne doesn't invent a computer that randomly decides to take over, a Cyberdyne will research a strange CPU to invent robotic weapon system that will decide to wipe out humanity. If Cyberdyne is taken out of the picture, the government will invent a Skynet anyway. Hell, I think TSCC eventually did something like "The creation of Skynet came from some dude in his basement working on some machine".

I guess I'm saying I find that a thematic "Skynet is inevitable and the war is inevitable" less palatable than a more practical "Eventually anyone will be able to invent a Skynet" message.

Hell, even in the Happy Future ending of T2, Cameron made sure to say that John Connor, as a senator, was fighting to prevent the Happy Future Congress from funding Skynet.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
That leads back to the subtle, fascinating point in Terminator Salvation:

Skynet in T4 has deliberately modelled itself on Kyle and Sarah's insane visions. It builds skeleton warriors solely because that's what Sarah described to her doctors. Skynet read those documents, saw those taped interviews, and said "this is how it's going to go down."

That's the reason why everything is subtly 'off' - why HKs now work best during the day, and so-on. Skynet got some things wrong, changed other points deliberately....

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Skynet in T4 has deliberately modelled itself on Kyle and Sarah's insane visions. It builds skeleton warriors solely because that's what Sarah described to her doctors. Skynet read those documents, saw those taped interviews, and said "this is how it's going to go down."

That's the reason why everything is subtly 'off' - why HKs now work best during the day, and so-on. Skynet got some things wrong, changed other points deliberately....

Actually I got to admit, that's pretty cool.

Honestly T4 is a drat shame because it had a lot of good ideas and great scenes, just somehow it wasn't able to put it together. Like Skynet setting that kind of trap for the resistance is a great idea, having John Conner decide to try and abort the attack because of "civilian loses" instead of working out that it's a trap is dumb. Having Marcus Wright be an experimental Terminator is great, having him pull out a chip from his head and be secretly be following Skynet's orders is bullshit. A lot of lines like the poo poo Marcus Wright spits out are great, continued comments about how awesome his heart is are just really terrible foreshadowing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

There's an interesting Doctor Who story that plays around with the same idea, albeit more explicitly.

The Doctor and his companion show up in Nazi Germany, and are immediately captured. Because of some late 20th Century technology they accidentally give to the Nazis, the Germans end up winning the war. In that future, a Nazi scientist is playing around with the Doctor's time machine and goes back to when they were originally captured, to see how things ended up going in their favor. By that scientist's mere presence, she ends up changing the course of the world and preventing her timeline from happening.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

This is pretty awesome.

This goes for everyone, but have you watched the Syfy show "12 Monkeys"? If not, I think you should definitely check it out, it's far and beyond the best show I have seen on that network.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Parachute posted:

This is pretty awesome.

This goes for everyone, but have you watched the Syfy show "12 Monkeys"? If not, I think you should definitely check it out, it's far and beyond the best show I have seen on that network.
How does that show compare to the Bruce Willis movie?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Xenomrph posted:

It's very tonally different. Think Stargate SG1 compared to the movie (or The Sarah Connor Chronicles) . It's a very good show, but they take the core concept of the movie and go in a different direction with it.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

Honestly, I like it a lot more. Granted, I haven't watched 12 Monkey's in at least a decade, but the show plays out as more action/sci-fi oriented with good performances from the leads and even some decent action scenes/sfx. It feels kind of different from other film to TV adaptations, like Hannibal or Bates Motel, where the viewer has been exposed to the characters/events in some capacity, but 12 Monkeys pretty much severs all ties from the film sans character names and rough versions of the events that take place. The characters are of course way more fleshed out than in the film, and the use of time travel/flashbacks in the story remind me of the parts of LOST I really liked, so maybe part of my praise for the show is misplaced nostalgia.

I think I should go back and rewatch the film to see if I can give you a better answer to the question, but iif you're interested I think it's worth checking out, not to mention there will be a 2nd season.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
That trailer is one of the worst things ever and the fact that they made John Connor a terminator makes me want to kill someone this is the dumbest premise for a terminator ever and they made fuckinn salvation.

This is also a revelation of how hard it is to make anything decent Terminator. loving what a tv series, two movies, and now a third have been released after the original duology and the only thing that's decent is the Third Terminator film. Despite being the most criticized

PerpetualSelf fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 21, 2015

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

PerpetualSelf posted:

That trailer is one of the worst things ever and the fact that they made John Connor a terminator makes me want to kill someone this is the dumbest premise for a terminator ever and they made fuckinn salvation.

Well look at it this way, they shown so much of the movie in the trailer you won't have to go watch it in the cinema!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

PerpetualSelf posted:

This is also a revelation of how hard it is to make anything decent Terminator. loving what a tv series, two movies, and now a third have been released after the original duology and the only thing that's decent is the Third Terminator film. Despite being the most criticized

Seems like only James Cameron understands his creation

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Oddly enough, didn't Cameron have some mostly positive comments for T3, though?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

PerpetualSelf posted:

The TV series was pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPzzYhuhOxo

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

This was all I could find after a short search:

James Cameron, on T3 posted:

In one word : Great. There was a small part of me that hoped it wasn't good - but another part of me hope'd it succeeded. And it did. And I'm so glad it did. Jonathon's made a great movie. Arnold's in great form. I really like what he's done with it". If he had done it, would he have handled it differently: "Yes. That's only natural. I mightn't have structured it the same, nor may I have ended it the same way - but coming in where he has, such a hard thing to do, and I give Jonathan points for it.

And I also found:

James Cameron, on Terminator Salvation posted:

It probably didn’t get a fair day in court because I had to watch it at night when I got home from work, over a period of two or three nights. I think Sam [Worthington] is remarkable in the film because, well, I think Sam is remarkable in anything he does. Interestingly, I think McG did a good job in the sense…I think he was almost too referential to the mythos of the first and second film. He over-quoted them in a way?

It didn’t feel to me to be enough of a reinvention. I mean the thing we did with the second film is that we reinvented the first film completely; spun it on its rear end and made the Terminator the good guy, and came up with a whole new concept for a villain, it felt fresh. I didn’t feel the fourth picture was fresh enough. It also lacked a certain stamp of authenticity because Arnold wasn’t in it. I mean, he was in it briefly, digitally, but that’s not the same thing.

I didn’t think it was bad. I didn’t think it was embarrassing. I don’t think he let the franchise down in some huge way, but I did feel some sort of unease that it didn’t go beyond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I can't really remember anything about terminator salvation other than sam was a robot and the brief arnold cameo. It really was forgettable for me.

• Locked thread