Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

epitasis posted:

PFT had to do a promo for loot crate on his new podcast and it's pretty hilarious because you know he must detest the idea of a box of nerd poo poo more than almost anything (maybe not as much as bob marley legend)

Him saying that "your letter-writing campaign worked" in reference to "Princess Bride" merchandise being in the loot crate honestly might have gotten the biggest guffaw out of me for the entire episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Help Im Alive posted:

Hayes and Sean are the kings of podcast advertising, I listen to like 15 podcasts and it's the only one where I don't skip the ads (Though you can't avoid the NNF ones sometimes because they'll end up talking about Threes for 15 minutes)

I've never bought anything advertised on a podcast but I remember seeing some statistic on the midroll site that said like 60% of their listeners have bought something through their ads which kinda blew my mind

100% of HH listeners listened to the one guy's poop songs

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Golden Bee posted:

Loot Crate is so bad

As a person who knows a Loot Crate subscriber, I can attest to this. An entire year of getting terrible "gifts" of the garbage he didn't want.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

WoG posted:

Loot crate: 'try to convincingly pretend this isn't a box of literal garbage'

I think Hollywood Handbook absolutely torpedoed their Loot Crate sponsorship this week, and it was totally worth it - Sean added "Losers" to the "Geeks, Gamers and Pop-culture Nerds" copy. It was done in a funny way but it definitely betrayed their contempt for the product.

But seriously "Loot Crate is like a friend who sends you a box of gifts every month" makes it sound like some kind of really lovely emotional prostitute for shut-ins.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Loot Crate is like your grandma finding out that you like some nerdy things so she assumes you'll like every nerdy thing - and then you get 10 years of Guardians of the Galaxy stickers and Harry Potter jellybeans or whatever other thing she finds in the Wal Mart bargain bin that she thinks fits in.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

JethroMcB posted:

Sean added "Losers" to the "Geeks, Gamers and Pop-culture Nerds" copy.

I thought he was doing a riff on the secretary's line from Ferris Bueller's Day Off:

quote:

The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
POP GOES THE PEPSI NEXT CAN

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Loot Crate is like your grandma finding out that you like some nerdy things so she assumes you'll like every nerdy thing - and then you get 10 years of Guardians of the Galaxy stickers and Harry Potter jellybeans or whatever other thing she finds in the Wal Mart bargain bin that she thinks fits in.

Loot Crate could be accurately renamed "A box of things my wife would insist I throw away"

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I've had naturebox for about six months now and I really like it. On the other hand, I know someone who tried out Bulu Box. According to him it was three stale free samples and some weird snakeoil pills. I guess no one else liked it, because I've only seen it advertised once on CBB.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I have a feeling Loot Crate steals whatever's in ThinkGeek's dumpsters.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
What's in them that everyone hates so much

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Bag of dirt with puto written on it.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

I think Hollywood Handbook absolutely torpedoed their Loot Crate sponsorship this week, and it was totally worth it - Sean added "Losers" to the "Geeks, Gamers and Pop-culture Nerds" copy.

loser is the new nerd

Naturebox is good but I'd never get a subscription to them while Love With Food exists. LWF is so good.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

ImPureAwesome posted:

What's in them that everyone hates so much

https://www.lootcrate.com/past_crates

May as well go to the comic store and ask the owner to just give me a pile of random junk that I can't return.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

beepo posted:

May as well go to the comic store and ask the owner to just give me a pile of random junk that I can't return.

That just gives me a list of themes and doesn't tell me what's so bad, not that I don't believe you guys.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ImPureAwesome posted:

That just gives me a list of themes and doesn't tell me what's so bad, not that I don't believe you guys.

Some items my friend tried to pass off as gifts last Christmas: Guardians of the Galaxy Lego ripoffs, an awful DVD of a documentary about Marvel, a Tyrion Lannister anime doll, a Ghostbusters door hanger, and some knitted Groot socks.

Do a Google Image search for "Loot Crate" and any given month and you'll see what's in there.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

beepo posted:

Thanks to this link I now know a friend gets Lootcrate because I saw "How to Survive a Sharknado" near their toilet for reading and I know they wouldn't buy it themselves.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Things like a copy of Ready Player One are actually better than I expected, but it's still not a service for me. Didn't realize they posted past crates, which is more transparency than I might have guessed.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Crankit posted:

POP GOES THE PEPSI NEXT CAN

EAAAAAAAARHOOOOLES

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Next Issue still sounds really dumb, but not as dumb as when I thought "Netflix for magazines" meant they send you a magazine and you send it back when you're done.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

I'm wearing Bonobos pants right now.

I also tried nature box for a few months, it was good but just a little overpriced.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules
http://www.rappler.com/newsbreak/in-depth/90205-illegal-horse-fighting-mindanao

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

You gotta laugh

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

No way :stare:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I really wasn't feeling Tom Greene but then he revealed that his dog had died and it turned the whole podcast aroumd.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Man I haven't thought of him since my teens.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The first :filez: I ever downloaded was The Bum Song, so Tom Green holds a special place in my internet heart.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

GoutPatrol posted:

The first :filez: I ever downloaded was The Bum Song, so Tom Green holds a special place in my internet heart.

I remember secretly watching his awful shows because my mom wouldn't let me. His trip to Japan was awful but had me in tears as a 13 year old or something.

He was actually pretty funny on this episode. He's definitely chilled out.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Shnooks posted:

I remember secretly watching his awful shows

Awful? I'm sorry, the Tom Green Show was brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdfztAY3qoU

Of course I also unironically love Freddy Got Fingered, a shambling mess of a movie that pulls off the "so stupid it loops back around to being smart" move with aplomb, so I'm pretty clearly biased.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I'm from his hometown, so we used to go see his cable access shows / Comedy Network show tapings. His career arc was pretty bonkers.

Also used to see Jon Dore a lot around Ottawa at that time.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

quote:

One practice is teaching a horse how to "box" by holding them up with rope and forcing them to jab the air as if they were boxing.

You haven't lived until you've seen a horse rear up on its hind legs and punch another horse in the mouth. A lot of broken jaws,

quote:

To teach the horse to be merciless, they are put in a fake arena with a goat which they are expected to clobber to death.

If a goat appear in the first act, it's gonna die by the third.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

This isn't real. This is a dream.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

This is like when I found out Tom Leykis is real

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Piquai Souban posted:

I'm from his hometown, so we used to go see his cable access shows / Comedy Network show tapings. His career arc was pretty bonkers.

Also used to see Jon Dore a lot around Ottawa at that time.

I am so jealous. I need to find the video of him making mike bullard puke by putting the cell ohone in the dead raccoon to complete my life.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I kind of love Trabitha Tartine.

Fieryspork
Sep 21, 2004
Shamu knows that i'm being sarcastic
This was a really weird episode. Tom Green seemed to treat it way too much like a standard interview show at the start and it seemed to drag on forever. It also felt like Mary Holland came in too early and didn't have much to do. Then when the character segment started it seemed to be going pretty well until he dropped the dead dog bomb. The way he just kept bringing it up and dwelling on it while everyone around him was trying to do bits felt so uncomfortable to me. Then he read off the full list of every town he's visiting on his tour. Worst first time guest ever?

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I thought he was great, the listing of city names I felt was more of a bit as well as actual information. Maybe he went on about his dog too much, but he just lost his best friend 2 days ago, I'll cut him slack for that :smith:

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

It's like someone heard that CBB podcast and thought, you know, those Calvins twins are onto something.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Tom Green ruled. Sorry he wasn't one of those indie music singer-songwriters everybody in this thread loves so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Fieryspork posted:

Worst first time guest ever?

No. Not even close.