Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Smythe posted:

awfully cynical dont u think. i like to imagine a future where starfleet is real

Starfleet will never exist. the future is more judge dredd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

it's actually terminator

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nah there will never be any significant machine intelligence.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

Starfleet is based in San Francisco.

an unlikely reality. it will probably be located in the blasted out central valley after the drought kills all the farms, and the dusbowl comes and goes

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Shaggar posted:

Starfleet will never exist. the future is more judge dredd

mad max imo

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Smythe posted:

an unlikely reality. it will probably be located in the blasted out central valley after the drought kills all the farms, and the dusbowl comes and goes

:toot:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
mad max is a documentary about current day Australia

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the future is bladerunner complete with mega skyscrapers next to horrible slums and people making fun of replicants for flipping over turtles in the desert

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
uc merced is growing really fast. it'd be funny to me if merced and like fresno and poo poo were the tech meccas of tomorrow

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

nah there will never be any significant machine intelligence.

idk I totally see some kind of I Have No Mouth situation forming where we all have a machine intelligence arms race and then these machines that we created specifically to destroy, well, do their jobs.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

The Leck posted:

and yet disruptors were mostly used by aliens

hehehe

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i mean at the very least if we can't invent "proper AI" we'll have the ability to accurately simulate every neuron (or gently caress every atom) in the brain with a within-America's-budget-sized supercomputer in the next few decades so we'll at least do that.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
how long until a blade runner film is made starring a real replicant of harrison ford

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
how long until one is made that isnt boring

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Sniep posted:

ummmm elysium???

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Smythe posted:

uc merced is growing really fast. it'd be funny to me if merced and like fresno and poo poo were the tech meccas of tomorrow

i still don't understand the existence of UC Merced

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

it would be cool if it was cheap. my friend goes there for physics and he rents a like 2000 sqft apt with 3 bedrooms or something for like $400.............. or something

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

duTrieux. posted:

csu san marcos is similarly baffling

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

duTrieux. posted:

i still don't understand existence

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

duTrieux. posted:

dude, the world already has a lot of jizz. no reason to spread the wealth.

mars, however, is practically dry of jizz. they could use some.
jizz wouldn't even make it to mars before dying

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

Sniep posted:

blade runner is basically the matrix for people born a decade earlier

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

idk I totally see some kind of I Have No Mouth situation forming where we all have a machine intelligence arms race and then these machines that we created specifically to destroy, well, do their jobs.

i don't think we'll ever see true 'intelligence' but that doesn't mean we won't make a system that's REALLY good at killing poo poo ala Крепость

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

Starfleet will never exist. the future is more blade runner

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the future is either judge dredd, blade runner, or fifth element depending on how lucky we get.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
although i suppose the argument could be made that its judge dredd, then blade runner, then fifth element.

but in no future is their a socialest paradise.

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Shaggar posted:

the future is either judge dredd, blade runner, or fifth element depending on how lucky we get.

fingers crossed for exuberant chris tucker

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

DolphinCop posted:

the future is bladerunner complete with mega skyscrapers next to horrible slums and people making fun of replicants for flipping over turtles in the desert

i guess the future is now

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Shaggar posted:

although i suppose the argument could be made that its judge dredd, then blade runner, then fifth element.

but in no future is their a socialest paradise.

don't think you can get anywhere from Judge Dredd - it'd just be a slow decline into extinction

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Munkeymon posted:

don't think you can get anywhere from Judge Dredd - it'd just be a slow decline into extinction

judge dredd makes sense as a prequel to blade runner where the invention of space travel causes a mass exodus from earth.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Necc0 posted:

i don't think we'll ever see true 'intelligence' but that doesn't mean we won't make a system that's REALLY good at killing poo poo ala Крепость

at least until daylight savings time comes around, at which point all the killbots simultaneously crash

i don't trust the human military-industrial complex to be capable of building the machine menace, except by some completely unforeseen accident having nothing to do with military stuff, like mis-calibrating the melanin sensors on high-class cars so they target white people too

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Shaggar posted:

judge dredd makes sense as a prequel to blade runner where the invention of space travel causes a mass exodus from earth.

white spaceflight

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

As a Millennial I posted:

white spaceflight

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

FMguru posted:

csu san marcos is similarly baffling

as is san marcos itself

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

pointers posted:

jizz wouldn't even make it to mars before dying

sure, lard on extraneous conditions

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

white spaceflight

cheaper to invent new people to do labor instead of bringing along the poor

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

pointers posted:

blade runner is basically the matrix for people born a decade earlier

I'm just talking poo poo

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

white spaceflight

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

white spaceflight

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

The Leck posted:

and yet disruptors were mostly used by aliens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

i can't wait to smoke some uranium

• Locked thread