Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

queeb posted:

you get a big chart of everyone's feelings towards others and stuff
sounds like a sperg's wet dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Can I buy eshop cards here in America and use with my Canadian eshop account? I really want a princess peach ar card :3:

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I bought Xenosaga because I was super stoked to try a N3DS exclusive to see what it'd be like... But, man, I'm an hour in and struggling to keep going. So far the story seems bad, leaning heavily on anime character tropes. Gameplay is sort of boring, taking all the grinding of an MMO with none of the fun social elements. I'm really trying to figure out what people see in this game but for what people were calling was the "best RPG on the Wii" seems... Disappointing. Is this just what modern RPG's are now?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

io_burn posted:

I bought Xenosaga because I was super stoked to try a N3DS exclusive to see what it'd be like... But, man, I'm an hour in and struggling to keep going. So far the story seems bad, leaning heavily on anime character tropes. Gameplay is sort of boring, taking all the grinding of an MMO with none of the fun social elements. I'm really trying to figure out what people see in this game but for what people were calling was the "best RPG on the Wii" seems... Disappointing. Is this just what modern RPG's are now?

you bought the wrong game

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

io_burn posted:

"Offline MMO" is an appealing concept to a lot of people who should really be more upfront about their brain problems.

The competition for "best RPG on the Wii" is The Last Story and Tales of... Symphonia? It was a terrible console for the genre, is what I'm saying.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

incidentally, The Last Story is better

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

io_burn posted:

Welcome to every JRPG in the last decade.

Go buy a console/gaming PC and buy a Dark Souls game or Bloodborne to wash the filthy taste out of your mouth.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fuzz posted:

Go buy a console/gaming PC and buy a Dark Souls game or Bloodborne to wash the filthy taste out of your mouth.

Acting like JRPGs were ever any better than they are now is really loving stupid.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Fuzz posted:

But what if we thought Dark Souls was really boring. After a long day at work I just want to relax in a recliner (or bed) and explore some weird worlds. Fantasy Life was absolutely perfect for that. I should probably finish it at some point. I think I beat the game but have yet to jump in to the DLC. Also whatever the coin business was. Is there a good "Here is what you can do after the main story" guide around?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fuzz posted:

You do know Dark Souls isn't the answer to every problem, right? It is extremely good for the type of game it is but it isn't what you're necessarily looking for if you want to play an RPG.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Andrast posted:

Acting like JRPGs were ever any better than they are now is really loving stupid.

they were worse

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

io_burn posted:

This is what I have remind myself when I read 40 posts in a row going apeshit over it and start to consider it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Xenoblade owns, gently caress the haters

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

*insert your favorite game here* owns, gently caress the haters

I like this. Thanks :)

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

JRPGs are good, and Xenoblade is alright.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

io_burn posted:

An hour in... are you even out of the first area?

I'd give it until you're at The Leg. You'll know The Leg when you get there. If the game doesn't grab you by then, it's probably not going to. That's when the game starts getting really good.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Milkman posted:

This is what I have remind myself when I read 40 posts in a row going apeshit over it and start to consider it.

I'm more surprised people don't look up anything about the game before buying it. Like, are the opinions of a bunch of goons really enough to lead you to buying a game sight unseen? Wouldn't you at least look up how the combat works or how the game plays?

There so much media for basically every major game release right now that it's not hard to find a gameplay demo or two to help you decide if it's worth spending $40 or not.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Typhoon Jim posted:

I really shouldn't have looked at that quest app: I realized that what felt to me like going round and getting all the quests was in fact doing a C+ job at best. Holy cow, that's why I didn't do this the first time.

When you start doing all of the quests it kind of starts to feel a lot more like a MMORPG. Although they were pretty clever in linking each quest to an affinity because you really do learn the ins and outs of each place when you do them.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Silver Falcon posted:

An hour in... are you even out of the first area?

I'd give it until you're at The Leg. You'll know The Leg when you get there. If the game doesn't grab you by then, it's probably not going to. That's when the game starts getting really good.

This. I wasn't really digging it that much until right around when I was traveling to the leg, which is two or three hours in, the scenes before that were interesting enough to grab me and the cave of monsters I kind of started to understand the combat system by then.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I'm more surprised people don't look up anything about the game before buying it. Like, are the opinions of a bunch of goons really enough to lead you to buying a game sight unseen? Wouldn't you at least look up how the combat works or how the game plays?

There so much media for basically every major game release right now that it's not hard to find a gameplay demo or two to help you decide if it's worth spending $40 or not.

Blindly listening to goons got me KI:U, Mario 3D land, Phoenix Wright Trilogy and a couple of other games I don't feel like getting up to go look up the names for. So far it's had a decent track record.

Also for you Xenoblade guys. Once you beat the game, you can new game +, which lets you keep your levels and the elite kill stat point things, but resets quests and the like. Which means you can blast through the missed quests then at a much higher level. It's nice for if you start getting bored of the quests and just want to experience the main story. Also any elite you kill in new game + awards you the stat point, even if you already killed it in reg new game.

(anyone else see KI:U and instantly think Killer Instinct instead of Kid Icarus?)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

That's so weird that there's a NG+, my first playthrough took like 100 hours. I loved Xenoblade but I will probably never play it again

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

you learn whose opinions you can blindly trust. mine for example. not noirstronaut's for another example.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I know it's not really what you're asking for, but might I recommend A Song of Souls and Darkness, by George R.R. Martin

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Awesome! posted:

you learn whose opinions you can blindly trust. mine for example. not noirstronaut's for another example.

The facts check out.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Andrast posted:

the 3ds thread once again proves inferior to the vita thread

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

incidentally, The Last Story is better

Much cheaper, too

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Francis posted:

The competition for "best RPG on the Wii" is The Last Story and Tales of... Symphonia? It was a terrible console for the genre, is what I'm saying.

That's not exactly a competition considering that The Last Story is a good game and the ToS sequel is garbage.

Like even if you don't like Xenoblade there's no way you could seriously think it's as bad as that game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
You guys clearly missed the tongue in cheek aspect of telling him to play a Souls game. It's practically an SA meme nowadays.

If you want a decent western RPG for real, Witcher 1-3 (still not totally RPG, but closer than most) or a Bioware game.

Or Pillars of Eternity. :getin:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fuzz posted:

You guys clearly missed the tongue in cheek aspect of telling him to play a Souls game. It's practically an SA meme nowadays.

If you want a decent western RPG for real, Witcher 1-3 (still not totally RPG, but closer than most) or a Bioware game.

The problem with jokes like that is that they are indistinguishable from real comments.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fuzz posted:

The problem with making that joke is that it's indistinguishable from comments people unironically make.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Maybe instead of complaining about jokes you could spend your time doing more fulfilling things, like playing Dark Souls (ideally the pc port but the console versions are fine as well).

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

Maybe instead of complaining about jokes you could spend your time doing more fulfilling things, like playing Dark Souls (ideally the pc port but the console versions are fine as well).

Sorry, I'm too busy playing Bloodborne to play dark souls (again).

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I was playing Dark Souls for a while but I got bored around the time I reached a crystal cave, and have not continued.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

that's the home stretch of the game really

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So the cute mascots are running a drug ring that's pretty cool what a cool game Xenoblade is

now the little muppet person is in helljail where it belongs

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So the cute mascots are running a drug ring that's pretty cool what a cool game Xenoblade is

now the little muppet person is in helljail where it belongs

See Xenoblade has some good sidequests too

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Why does Xenoblade visually look horrendous?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There's a lot of stuff to load and render so it uses much lower-res textures for everything that isn't within 2 feet of the player character.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

noirstronaut posted:

It's a port of a last gen game downsized to work on a 3ds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

noirstronaut posted:

It's a Wii game.