Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005
Good going! Progress on your tangible goals will be more rewarding than this bachelor party. Taking those first initial steps are the hardest. Just keep moving forward. I know when I had my daughter, it took a few weeks before everything clicked for me that everything changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

:aaa: Nice work man.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Knyteguy posted:

Progress. Despite wanting to go I skipped the bachelor party completely to stay on track with finances, studying, and the alcohol goal. The result of this means I have a small sum of discretionary left to get me through the month. So I proved you wrong something clever you said I was going to go over by mid month I think.

Did some yard work, gonna take a walk for an hour per therapist orders, and I'm on cracking the coding interview the rest of the night and tomorrow.

April may very well be the most successful month yet as far as sticking to the budget goes.

Yesssss~

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Knyteguy posted:

Well yes I won't be going to him asking for a raise. If I didn't have a dependent and a bunch of money in the bank I'd probably feel different, but I don't. What I mean is when I have an offer in hand I will give him/the Texas company an opportunity to match or beat it. I agree leads are worth little comparatively.

You should basically never take an offer to your employer hoping they will match it. Almost everywhere you'll be marked as a risk or potential trouble maker. With an offer in hand you can attempt to renegotiate but you shouldn't bring up the offer at all. Just use it an insurance in case the negotiation doesnt go your way.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Hey thanks for the support guys.

Regarding the job: well my boss did say if I get an offer to come to them and they'll try to match it. The IT guy at the Texas company did that and he's still there. But yes I'll try to negotiate first I think that's a good idea.

I did start reading that interview book, and I got to the point of delving into questions. A lot of it will be teaching problem solving skills it looks like which is great.

I put in my resume to two different recruiting companies for that AX work. Many jobs are in the $70,000-$90,000 range, but many are into six figures. The average pay for someone with my experience seems to be $96,000. I'll also check out what's going on around town.

Here's our budget. I think we've got it for 10 more days.

Medical we didn't actually budget $25 for, but I compensated us from the HSA so that was a net 0 category as far as how it affected our budget.

Horking I didn't get to May's budget this weekend for the charity challenge since I had the baby all weekend, but I'm thinking I can do that tomorrow.

Edit oh but we're going over on utilities. We're still paying back our landlord's trash screwup. I'm going to up our utility budget going forward we're over every month even though our power bill went down a lot.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Don't forget to start saving some discretionary every month if you want to but the NFL Package come football season.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
You probably shouldn't let your boss know you are entertaining offers unless you already have something lined up. You don't even have a finalized resume yet.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

Don't forget to start saving some discretionary every month if you want to but the NFL Package come football season.

As much as I want it this year I think I'm going to hold off. Gamepass is unreliable since it's technically not available for people living in the US, and we would have to get a Directv subscription for Sunday Ticket (unless we said we lived in an apartment and got the expensive online version).

Being a football fan is bad with money.

Jam my resume is finished for now. I don't think I'll be able to get better unless I use Resume2Interviews or something. And I'd like to do that but I haven't budgeted for it and I don't know where it would come from.

A recruiter just got back to me on a job that Dallas job that pays $115,000 - $130,000 :stare:. She says according to my resume she thinks I could be a strong fit. I can potentially interview tomorrow morning if I want to. I guess I'll go for it. The old saying of 'opportunity having knocked moves on' comes to mind. It's worth a shot at giving it my best at least.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
There is no reason not to. If nothing else, the interview experience will be valuable.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Knyteguy posted:

As much as I want it this year I think I'm going to hold off. Gamepass is unreliable since it's technically not available for people living in the US, and we would have to get a Directv subscription for Sunday Ticket (unless we said we lived in an apartment and got the expensive online version).

Being a football fan is bad with money.

Jam my resume is finished for now. I don't think I'll be able to get better unless I use Resume2Interviews or something. And I'd like to do that but I haven't budgeted for it and I don't know where it would come from.

A recruiter just got back to me on a job that Dallas job that pays $115,000 - $130,000 :stare:. She says according to my resume she thinks I could be a strong fit. I can potentially interview tomorrow morning if I want to. I guess I'll go for it. The old saying of 'opportunity having knocked moves on' comes to mind. It's worth a shot at giving it my best at least.

At 115k, that is worth up and moving, and then you would have no problem with daycare(or wife can not work?)... Life in Dallas is relatively nice, and reasonable in most cases(IMO). As far your Football, there are some websites you can probably find online that will stream your football game for you for $Free. This is good with money.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Yeah programming interviews are a crapshoot, especially if you're trying to 'move up' substantially. Of course you should definitely still try, but realize it's a numbers game; you may have to do a bunch before you pass, even if you're perfectly competent as a developer.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

lord1234 posted:

At 115k, that is worth up and moving, and then you would have no problem with daycare(or wife can not work?)... Life in Dallas is relatively nice, and reasonable in most cases(IMO). As far your Football, there are some websites you can probably find online that will stream your football game for you for $Free. This is good with money.

That's cool I guess except it's all Cowboys fans.

Screw it I'm moving to Detroit. (I would, but I'm just playing)

Cicero posted:

Yeah programming interviews are a crapshoot, especially if you're trying to 'move up' substantially. Of course you should definitely still try, but realize it's a numbers game; you may have to do a bunch before you pass, even if you're perfectly competent as a developer.

No problem I've got some tenacity. Conversely I took the first job offered to me the last time I was job hunting out of desperation (that's where I work now). I'm glad that's no longer the case so I can be picky too if I want.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Uncle Jam posted:

You probably shouldn't let your boss know you are entertaining offers unless you already have something lined up. You don't even have a finalized resume yet.

This. I'm very confused why you would bring this up to your current employer when you have nothing in-hand. Unless you're trying to get let go.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

IllegallySober posted:

This. I'm very confused why you would bring this up to your current employer when you have nothing in-hand. Unless you're trying to get let go.

I'm not and I haven't. I'm confused where you guys got that idea from.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Knyteguy posted:

Knyteguy posted:

Regarding the job: well my boss did say if I get an offer to come to them and they'll try to match it.

This is where they got that idea from.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

quote:

if I get an offer

quote:

I'm very confused why you would bring this up to your current employer when you have nothing in-hand.
Where did he say he'd go to his boss with nothing in-hand?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

Regarding the job: well my boss did say if I get an offer to come to them and they'll try to match it. The IT guy at the Texas company did that and he's still there. But yes I'll try to negotiate first I think that's a good idea.

All this means is that your boss knows you're underpaid but won't do anything about it unless you're about to leave. I think you underestimate how much you're being used. You should be 99% prepared to leave when you get a new offer, and not just hope for a raise from your current employer unless the compensation increase is insane.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I don't underestimate it. It's how business works now.

I took a 45 minute interview just now with the recruiting firm. I agreed to a two week exclusivity window and she seems pretty confident that I can find a new position (but I don't think the Dallas one specifically). She says she thinks my job the next two weeks is going to be interviewing due to volume :aaa:. Starting tomorrow. I told them I'm looking for six figures, but I'd be willing to entertain offers for less.

If they can't find me something in two weeks then I will continue looking elsewhere. Perhaps outside the domain of AX.

edit and obviously I'll only be able to interview during my lunch breaks or before work.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
If your boss makes you feel like you guys are "buddy buddy" while underpaying you by market standards of $30,000-$40,000 a year while offering you mediocre benefits then he's got you hook, line, and sinker.

The whole "get a better offer and I'll match it" is also a pretty lovely tactic. If you decide to go that route just understand that every time you want a raise you will need to polish off your resume, interview for jobs, get an offer, and then try to renegotiate.

The last company I worked for tried to pull that on me and I told them it was too late once I had a new offer. It helps that the company I moved to is about 1000x better in every way, but I'm not going to lie it was a pretty great feeling watching their panic set in.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

A short exclusivity window like that is probably fine, just don't let the recruiter hard sell you on a subpar offer.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

If your boss makes you feel like you guys are "buddy buddy" while underpaying you by market standards of $30,000-$40,000 a year while offering you mediocre benefits then he's got you hook, line, and sinker.

The whole "get a better offer and I'll match it" is also a pretty lovely tactic. If you decide to go that route just understand that every time you want a raise you will need to polish off your resume, interview for jobs, get an offer, and then try to renegotiate.

The last company I worked for tried to pull that on me and I told them it was too late once I had a new offer. It helps that the company I moved to is about 1000x better in every way, but I'm not going to lie it was a pretty great feeling watching their panic set in.

Meh my boss is a good guy. I know his family and he knows mine (his kids loves screaming "BYE KNYTEGUY!!!!!" when they leave the office), we've had some fun nights out during business trips, etc. Plus he gave me a chance as a new developer when I couldn't find anyone else to.

That doesn't mean I'm going to sit here and continue to be underpaid though. I don't think he has some moral obligation to pay me market value suddenly either. I'd say it's more bad business since it's the company's loss if they lose me. If I'm more valuable than I'm getting paid then it's on me to get more money.

Cicero posted:

A short exclusivity window like that is probably fine, just don't let the recruiter hard sell you on a subpar offer.

Hm alright I'll look out for that. I confirmed that they are commission based so we'll see. I speak with more senior recruiters tomorrow.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Knyteguy posted:

I took a 45 minute interview just now with the recruiting firm. I agreed to a two week exclusivity window and she seems pretty confident that I can find a new position (but I don't think the Dallas one specifically). She says she thinks my job the next two weeks is going to be interviewing due to volume :aaa:. Starting tomorrow. I told them I'm looking for six figures, but I'd be willing to entertain offers for less.

It's too late now but never ever tell a recruiter you'll entertain offers for less. The recruiter just wants to place you as quickly as possible so they can move on to the next prospect. You're going to interview for non-stop jobs for $70k now. All you should ever tell a recruiter with regards to compensation is that you're looking for market value. If the recruiter is any good they'll understand not to waste your time with lowball offers and you'll get interviews with places willing to pay you. Also make sure you push hard for a relocation bonus if you take anything out of state. A legit employer will have no problem paying it. To go from Reno to Dallas for a job that's paying north of $100k you should be expecting $20k to 30k in relocation.

Also, I'm going to reiterate that you should definitely not take any offers to your current employer to match. Don't ever let your employer know you've got an offer. Once you have a solid offer you'd be happy to accept (make sure you get an actual offer letter and not just a verbal offer) decide what you'd want from your current employer to stay (so if you have an offer for $100k from someone in Godforsakenhellhole, Awfulstate and you're willing to take $90k to stay where you are, which is reasonable) and tell your employer 'hey, given the market I think I'm in line for a raise to $__k' (you can go a little high to leave them room to negotiate you down). If they say yes, great! If they say no or demand to see an offer first just walk. You'll always be undervalued if you produce an offer and they match and you'll also put yourself at risk of being replaced if they're worried you're looking to walk.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

^ Came here to post the thing about getting paid relo.

KG are you looking for remote only, or what?

Also this:

Knyteguy posted:

I agreed to a two week exclusivity window
Gives me the creeps. I've never had a recruiter ask me to do this.

My Rhythmic Crotch fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 21, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
e:nah

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 21, 2015

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

I think it's great to see what other opportunities are out there and improve your income.

BUT you need to be 100% sure that you really would be ready and willing to move to Dallas or wherever. When you moved to your new house you stressed how important it was to be close to your mom and sister. Are you realllly going to leave, or do you just see $$$?

If you're not truly going to want to move, I would play things pretty differently when going to the boss with an offer.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Knyteguy posted:

Either your boss said that cause you asked him about it directly, or he just came up to you one day out of the blue and said that. If he came out of the blue and said that then he knows he's underpaying you like crazy.

Also, remember if you go through a recruiter they will siphon off a ton of your potential pay for doing pretty much zero things after landing you the job, for as long as you have the position.

I missed a few posts apparently, but if you get $120k even through a recruiter take it! It is away from family but Dallas isn't really thaaaat far. Especially for that kind of bump

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 21, 2015

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

I would totally do it (and have moved for a big pay bump), but Knyte has repeatedly said how important family is, and with a newborn it could be a big big change especially for KnyteWife.

I'm not saying don't do it, but really have a serious conversation with your wife about it and make sure she is 110% aboard with it.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Dallas sucks, but then again you are in Reno. There's a much bigger tech sector there, though, but moving away from family can suck.

Not that any of this is applicable to you because you like thinking about changing things rather than actually changing them.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

^ Came here to post the thing about getting paid relo.

KG are you looking for remote only, or what?

Also this:

Gives me the creeps. I've never had a recruiter ask me to do this.

Yea actually now that I think about it a lot of that recruiter interview was weird. A lot of questions were asked that employers themselves cannot ask. (Are you married, do you have kids, etc). The only reason it's worth putting up with it is because this company is kind of -the recruiter firm- for this industry. A company looking for a developer in this industry will probably go to them.

I said I only wanted $5,000 in relocation assistance hah that was way lowballed I thought that was enough based on job postings I've seen. I'll clarify tomorrow.

If my boss finds out he'll understand and it might light a fire under the company rear end to get me to at least somewhere near market rate. I'll come up with something if he ends up confronting me about it.

But yes gently caress recruiters generally. I've worked with a couple shady ones in the past. Internal recruiters are OK though.

Thanks for the help guys I'm not too worried though. If they start throwing me $70,000/yr jobs then I'll tell them I'm no longer interested at the current time. I was thinking $90,000 when I said I'd entertain less, and that's for the totally right job. It might be awhile before I can get the salary I want but again no hurry. Even if my relationship sours with this recruiting company for some reason this isn't the only technology I'm capable with.

Reno isn't too bad Quantum Finger. I mean it's kind of boring but at least it's generally beautiful.
I've posted this before but hey

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 21, 2015

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You should try to find a job that doesn't involve relocating.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

You should try to find a job that doesn't involve relocating.

I told em I prefer local. Like all of you said family is my rock in life, and my wife's too I think. But I can't walk away from potentially $30,000-$60,000 more per year I just couldn't do it. Moving was like $3,600/yr with a huge quality of life increase the situation is just different. If anything it allows me to reach my financial goals sooner and that will make me more available.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Just be patient. Don't just go running off for the first job that makes you some more money. You're in a situation that is very fixable with your current income. Moving away from family that supports you isn't worth it.

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

[quote="Knyteguy" post=""444317879"] But I can't walk away from potentially $30,000-$60,000 more per year I just couldn't do it.
[/quote]

Remember:
Don't look at the pre-tax increase
Your wife would need a new job
You would have to pay for daycare
No social structure, which is very important in your life.

I'm not saying don't move, but you should talk to your psych and see their thoughts. I'd say you and your wife are going to need family structure and support in the next year or so.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

You also need to really think about educating yourself with regard to the recruiter. You seem to have a habit of jumping into these things without educating yourself about what a good recruiter does. Take the time to do that and find someone who is good at their job and will treat you well.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I'll be patient. I don't think there's any harm to interviewing with anyone right now. I'll talk out potential offers with my family and with you guys before/if I jump into anything.

Crazy morning. I've spoken with 4 or 5 recruiters from the recruiting company with 1 more to go. No local prospects yet unfortunately. First company interview should be today.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

n8r posted:

You also need to really think about educating yourself with regard to the recruiter. You seem to have a habit of jumping into these things without educating yourself about what a good recruiter does. Take the time to do that and find someone who is good at their job and will treat you well.

Bold for emphasis. Slow down and don't get too far ahead of yourself Knyte. Rash, excitable decisions have landed you in hot water (unwise spending) before.

I do think that you need to have a discussion with your wife regarding relocating *before* you start looking or entertaining offers. Not just on the level of "Wow all that money would be swell, of course we'll move." The hard questions, mainly about what life is going to be like without your family around, as it does seem to be very important to you. They won't be there to support you, likewise you won't be around to help you.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
For real. I moved overseas for a 2x pay raise a couple years ago. My now wife, then girlfriend, joined me last year. Even with a year of serious contemplation she is now loving miserable. And we have a 3 month old now adding complications to make it interesting.

She hates it here with no close friends, no family and no help with the baby. She's a full time mom (gave up a good engineering job in the US) and is constantly tired, pissed off and generally depressed. We're flying family out almost all of this year (alternating parents, cousins, etc) to try and help but that is getting majorly expensive since none of them can afford it on their own.

Meanwhile I am giving up a job that I love and looking at a huge paycut to go back to the states as soon as my current contract ends because it is not worth the money we're putting away to have such a miserable time as a family.

You need - not should, loving need - to make sure your wife wants to uproot and that you're both ready for the extra stress on yourselves, your relationship and the resulting effects on your son.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Knyteguy posted:

I'll be patient. I don't think there's any harm to interviewing with anyone right now. I'll talk out potential offers with my family and with you guys before/if I jump into anything.

Crazy morning. I've spoken with 4 or 5 recruiters from the recruiting company with 1 more to go. No local prospects yet unfortunately. First company interview should be today.
The more I hear about this recruiter, the less I like them. They're trying to suck you in, making it more likely that you take one of the positions they dig up for you.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

The more I hear about this recruiter, the less I like them. They're trying to suck you in, making it more likely that you take one of the positions they dig up for you.

I agree with this. Where is this recruiter based? Or do they claim to be a "national" search firm? Find boutique recruiters in the area you are based in, and talk to them. If you think you want to move to, say, Dallas, go looking for a recruiter in Dallas. Unsurprisingly google is the place to look for this:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=engineering%20recruiter%20dallas

When I made a cross country move, I called a recruiter in that area, talked to him, sent him my resume, and had 4 different companies talking to me over a 3 day period where they flew me in and wined/dined me while trying to hire me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Yeah, you should be happy to go through the process with them but to some extent treat them like a real estate agent. They don't really care if you find the perfect job because they get paid anyway, and it makes no economic sense for them to care that much. Don't let them push you into anything that you have to live with for years - take a couple days to think about any offer you might get no matter how much they try and tell you that you need to take it immediately.

• Locked thread