Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Thanks, that's worked great.

So what ever happened with samsara? I remember a trailer showing a bunch of stuff like some Q3 weapons for Ranger and a preview of the unreal lady, but now it's apparently no longer being developed?

TerminusEst13 is the goon who made samsara, and many other projects that are on my top 10 class/game enhancement wads for doom. He's probably busy updating his coding from the latest Zandronum update.

E: others in the community have taken samsara and added other 'heros' to it, but they are not as well done or balanced as the original product

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

FirstPersonShitter posted:

So what ever happened with samsara? I remember a trailer showing a bunch of stuff like some Q3 weapons for Ranger and a preview of the unreal lady, but now it's apparently no longer being developed?

Yeah, Samsara is no longer under active development, sorry. Not really the note I wanted to end things on.

Though that Quake III weapon you saw actually is in! It's for a special melee-only game mode where everyone gets new weapons, called Punchdrunk. Ranger gets the Quake 3 gauntlet because punching dudes with a buzzsaw is fun.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

TerminusEst13 posted:

Yeah, Samsara is no longer under active development, sorry. Not really the note I wanted to end things on.

Though that Quake III weapon you saw actually is in! It's for a special melee-only game mode where everyone gets new weapons, called Punchdrunk. Ranger gets the Quake 3 gauntlet because punching dudes with a buzzsaw is fun.

Oh, nice. I thought maybe it replaced mjolnir in the newer version or something. I did notice that when I typed in the all weapons cheat code there were a bunch of extra weapons if I kept on scrolling through, I'm guessing they were all for special game modes too?

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Yup. Samsara's actually been around since Skulltag, so it supports the Instagib game mode as well. Everyone gets their own little unique insta-kill weapon.

Fun for parties! Or co-op, in case you feel the need to run Drown in Blood survival.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Woolie Wool posted:

Well if you like that you should like my other mods even more because this is the most primitive of them except for the really early poo poo from '01-04 that I want nothing to do with anymore.

Depends if they work with ECWolf. The Disable Y Axis option is essential for me. Also 1080p with no stretching makes stuff more enjoyable on my 24" monitor.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

All my mods in the last three years (ECWolf Tech Demo, Return to Totenhaus, Coffee Break Episode 1) use ECWolf, and Wolfenstein Sextilogy 3 from 2011 uses a very early build of ECWolf (that's really more of a lightly modified Wolf4SDL than anything else) but that has Disable Y Axis as well (but no native widescreen).

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Woolie Wool posted:

All my mods in the last three years (ECWolf Tech Demo, Return to Totenhaus, Coffee Break Episode 1) use ECWolf, and Wolfenstein Sextilogy 3 from 2011 uses a very early build of ECWolf (that's really more of a lightly modified Wolf4SDL than anything else) but that has Disable Y Axis as well (but no native widescreen).

Alright thanks I'll check them out after finishing this mod! I can live without widescreen, but not with the mouse moving the character :v:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

UIApplication posted:

Yeah man fire it up

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I would love this.

Okay, first attempt doing this automatically.

This is built at 5945f80056c5c200eca06b4becdd7bf63df8cfb2 on the osx branch, the GZDoom_Cocoa target. Try this out and see if it works for you. Once I get this set up to my satisfaction I'll host the results somewhere non-lovely.

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 20, 2015

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

horse mans posted:

Okay, first attempt doing this automatically.

This is built at 5945f80056c5c200eca06b4becdd7bf63df8cfb2 on the osx branch, the GZDoom_Cocoa target. Try this out and see if it works for you. Once I get this set up to my satisfaction I'll host the results somewhere non-lovely.

So how's this differ from GZDoom for OSX?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

SavageMessiah posted:

So how's this differ from GZDoom for OSX?

This is GZDoom for OS X, just a nightly. Me and the two people I quoted don't know anywhere that nightlies are posted, so I'm going to try setting up a system to do it myself. But before I go through all the trouble, I want to make sure my builds actually work for others.

EDIT: Okay, apparently there's this, but it looks like... monthlies. https://github.com/alexey-lysiuk/gzdoom/releases/

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 20, 2015

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Another osx user here, I'll definitely be giving this a whirl. Thanks.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Uh oh. Looks like it only works if you have 10.10 installed which means I'm out. Thanks though.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

site posted:

Uh oh. Looks like it only works if you have 10.10 installed which means I'm out. Thanks though.

Don't be out! The whole point of this is to tweak this until it works for as many people as possible. I've fixed the build so it should work for everyone on 10.5 and up, and updated the URL above.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I don't think I "get" Rise of the Triad. You get a pistol and a machinegun, some missile weapons that aren't different enough to justify having so many, and some magic weapons. The God Mode powerup is neat, yes, but Dog Mode isn't as funny the second, third, or 40th time. Shrooms and elastic mode are headache inducing. There's barely any enemy variety, health pickups are kind of dumb, and you don't collect ammo so that sensation of finding a secret stash of goodies is gone. I'm halfway through the second episode and I'm still finding pistol and machinegun pickups as if I didn't get those on the first level, although I'm guessing that's for pistol starts or something.

The levels are just...what the gently caress are these places? Why are the walls so godamn high? Everywhere looks the same. I can't even tell what they're going for atmosphere wise. Yeah it's goofy and over the top, but then you get these dark levels with really serious, Doom-esque music tracks. Is it supposed to be grim or something? Look I'm sure id sacking Tom Hall was pretty poo poo of them, but if this was the apex of his creative endeavor...I dunno man.

Anachronox was neat though. Neat.

There are some cool ideas. I like cutting out of the nets fired by the officer dudes. I lied that's the only idea I like.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Those are the words of a person who does not appreciate Ludicrous Gibs or EKG mode.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I don't think I "get" Rise of the Triad. You get a pistol and a machinegun, some missile weapons that aren't different enough to justify having so many, and some magic weapons. The God Mode powerup is neat, yes, but Dog Mode isn't as funny the second, third, or 40th time. Shrooms and elastic mode are headache inducing. There's barely any enemy variety, health pickups are kind of dumb, and you don't collect ammo so that sensation of finding a secret stash of goodies is gone. I'm halfway through the second episode and I'm still finding pistol and machinegun pickups as if I didn't get those on the first level, although I'm guessing that's for pistol starts or something.

The levels are just...what the gently caress are these places? Why are the walls so godamn high? Everywhere looks the same. I can't even tell what they're going for atmosphere wise. Yeah it's goofy and over the top, but then you get these dark levels with really serious, Doom-esque music tracks. Is it supposed to be grim or something? Look I'm sure id sacking Tom Hall was pretty poo poo of them, but if this was the apex of his creative endeavor...I dunno man.

Anachronox was neat though. Neat.

There are some cool ideas. I like cutting out of the nets fired by the officer dudes. I lied that's the only idea I like.
No, I think you get it just fine. It's a mediocre game with an embarrassingly outdated-for-the-time engine that tries to hide its deficiencies with 101 gimmicks. I thought the Doom mod Return of the Triad was better than the real thing.

I know it started out as Wolf 3D II before they lost the license or whatever, but I really hope that also caused it to be heavily delayed because a souped-up Wolf 3D engine was pretty lame in 1995.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

KozmoNaut posted:

Those are the words of a person who does not appreciate Ludicrous Gibs or EKG mode.

Don't throw sand in my face and tell me I won the lottery. :colbert:

david_a posted:

No, I think you get it just fine. It's a mediocre game with an embarrassingly outdated-for-the-time engine that tries to hide its deficiencies with 101 gimmicks. I thought the Doom mod Return of the Triad was better than the real thing.

I know it started out as Wolf 3D II before they lost the license or whatever, but I really hope that also caused it to be heavily delayed because a souped-up Wolf 3D engine was pretty lame in 1995.

I'll always wonder what the original concept for it would have been like. I bet that would have been a more traditional experience and, frankly, more fun to play. v:shobon:v

I will have to try Return of the Triad.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

horse mans posted:

Don't be out! The whole point of this is to tweak this until it works for as many people as possible. I've fixed the build so it should work for everyone on 10.5 and up, and updated the URL above.
Thanks, boots up now!

I gotta wait til later to actually play with it though.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

david_a posted:

Well, given that it was originally an entirely different game with totally different art assets, I can imagine that yes, this would heavily delay development.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
ROTT was definitely not one of my favorite FPS games growing up. It was fun to screw around with the Firebomb and Drunk Missile launchers...and something about the otherworldly "hmmmm" noises of God mode were weirdly soothing to me, but, yeah, the enemy variety was sorely lacking and the levels were pretty aesthetically monotonous. Doom, Duke, Blake Stone, Quake, Shadow Warrior, and even Chasm: The Rift got way more playtime than ROTT for me.

I think every game needs a shotgun or, barring that, something as satisfying as a shotgun. Otherwise it has to be Blake Stone.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I think every game needs a shotgun or, barring that, something as satisfying as a shotgun. Otherwise it has to be Blake Stone.

I like this quote.

Also, think of ROTT as a bridge between Wolf3d and Doom - it's still mazey, but also very arcade-like and fast, with enemies being mostly just a nuisance to be blasted with a missile. Wandering around weirdly shaped rooms with Mp40 while listening to jazz-rock is not a thing for everybody, but it works. Also I think the shareware levels are the much better than the ones from the main campaign.

PsychedelicEyeball made a very neat LP of ROTT.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
The thing with RoTT is that it isn't a deep game at all. The combat is piss-easy and the maps aren't that hard if you're used to 90's-style FPS puzzles. Once you accept that, the best way to play it is to turn off your brain and enjoy the cannon-fodder enemies getting gibbed while you hit switches and jump around like an idiot.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

closeted republican posted:

The thing with RoTT is that it isn't a deep game at all. The combat is piss-easy and the maps aren't that hard if you're used to 90's-style FPS puzzles. Once you accept that, the best way to play it is to turn off your brain and enjoy the cannon-fodder enemies getting gibbed while you hit switches and jump around like an idiot.

Pretty much this. Also, use the missile weapons constantly. I tried playing with only the bullet weapons because "my missiles are limited! :byodood:" but as soon as I realized they are pretty numerous and destructive, I learned to let go and released all the gibs! :black101:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Wamdoodle posted:

Pretty much this. Also, use the missile weapons constantly. I tried playing with only the bullet weapons because "my missiles are limited! :byodood:" but as soon as I realized they are pretty numerous and destructive, I learned to let go and released all the gibs! :black101:

Once you find out that explosive weapons are everywhere and that you don't need to conserve ammo with the boring MP40, it gets a lot more fun.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I really liked Blake Stone as a kid when I threw around cheat codes like crazy and played on super baby mode, but today even well honed Doom reflexes are no help on the harder difficulties when everything is hitscan. I should probably bite the bullet (or plasma) and just tick it down a notch or two.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I went to a local second-hand shop to find a cheapo wireless keyboard for my pitiful "home media center" (read: an old Macbook under my TV), and came back with something... nastier.

I mean, I got the keyboard, too, but I got this as well. I'll be sure to report back!

EDIT: ...if I can get the goddamn thing to install. Setup.exe process just sits silently in the Task Manager without ever "starting".

The Kins fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 21, 2015

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

I went to a local second-hand shop to find a cheapo wireless keyboard for my pitiful "home media center" (read: an old Macbook under my TV), and came back with something... nastier.

I mean, I got the keyboard, too, but I got this as well. I'll be sure to report back!

EDIT: ...if I can get the goddamn thing to install. Setup.exe process just sits silently in the Task Manager without ever "starting".

One thing I always wanted was a digital release of SoF and SoF2 on GOG because they're annoying to run on modern systems.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
If you don't mind :filez:, look up Soldier of Fortune Community Edition. Works great on Windows 8.1.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
SoF1 should work fine as long as you limit OpenGL extensions with nVidia Inspector.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Man, the only thing I remember from SoF was running through a subway, shooting people in the abdomen and having their intestines pop out like some sort of overstuffed, sticky pinata.

:allears:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
The Desert Eagle and shotgun are the best weapons in SOF1. They're very effective and give you plenty of gore when you kill something.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 21, 2015

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The shotgun in the first one will gladly shoot someone's leg off from across the room, it's crazy. I liked the automatic weapons in the second game though, since you could abuse the gore system and cause someone to fall to their knees despite just being an arm and head.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Commander Keenan posted:

If you don't mind :filez:, look up Soldier of Fortune Community Edition. Works great on Windows 8.1.
I tried the SoFplus source port that Community Edition claims it includes (no real point in :filez: when I've got a working disk, now is there?) but it looks like it breaks a few things in Single Player mode. Like music. And voices.

So I did some fun workaround business and now I have the normal client running on Windows 8.1 in a whopping 1280x960 window. It'd almost be impressive if I wasn't up to that Siberia level with the Turok-level draw distance.

All in all, well worth the five whole dollars I coughed up for it. Kind of funny to see how, well, tame the violence seems nowadays, but I guess the hours I poured into Mortal Kombat X over the last week kind of dulled the impact. :gibs:

Guillermus posted:

One thing I always wanted was a digital release of SoF and SoF2 on GOG because they're annoying to run on modern systems.
As I understand, there's various licensing issues to deal with if they ever want to go down that path, and it's enough of a headache that Acti probably doesn't want to deal with it.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

david_a posted:

Return of the Triad is a pretty decent mod, but it always annoyed me how the various pickups are instantly destroyed if either you or any enemy in the area so much as sneeze on them.

Like, you can make an effort to not shoot them by accident, but the enemy AI will make no such attempts. And you're screwed out of the 100% completion bonus if even one pickup gets shot down instead of grabbed. Have fun!

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

closeted republican posted:

The Desert Eagle and shotgun are the best weapons in SOF1. They're very effective and give you plenty of gore when you kill something.

Elliotw2 posted:

The shotgun in the first one will gladly shoot someone's leg off from across the room, it's crazy. I liked the automatic weapons in the second game though, since you could abuse the gore system and cause someone to fall to their knees despite just being an arm and head.
The SPAS-12 in Soldier of Fortune will always be a completely ridiculous and amazing weapon. If it's not the fact it does as much damage as a loving howitzer shell, Mullins reloads the drat thing faster than the Terminator. The only other shotgun that comes close is FEAR's shotgun.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=47076&start=60#p828924

If you guys are interested in hectic multiplayer shenanigans, I've just released another build of Push.
Notable features include 20(!) new maps, support for ZDoom/GZDoom (though I have no clue why you'd play this on that), the option to disable hazards on maps for super serious play, and the option for players who've lost to harrass the winners Bomberman-style for not-super serious play.

It's, uh, pretty crazy.

Server's up, too, if any of y'all wanna give it a shot.

:: [BE] Montreal :: Push It to the Limit

Reive
May 21, 2009

The Kins posted:

I tried the SoFplus source port that Community Edition claims it includes (no real point in :filez: when I've got a working disk, now is there?) but it looks like it breaks a few things in Single Player mode. Like music. And voices.

So I did some fun workaround business and now I have the normal client running on Windows 8.1 in a whopping 1280x960 window. It'd almost be impressive if I wasn't up to that Siberia level with the Turok-level draw distance.

All in all, well worth the five whole dollars I coughed up for it. Kind of funny to see how, well, tame the violence seems nowadays, but I guess the hours I poured into Mortal Kombat X over the last week kind of dulled the impact. :gibs:
As I understand, there's various licensing issues to deal with if they ever want to go down that path, and it's enough of a headache that Acti probably doesn't want to deal with it.

IIRC changing the sampling rate to 22,050 Hz fixes the audio in SoF1.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Jblade posted:

The SPAS-12 in Soldier of Fortune will always be a completely ridiculous and amazing weapon. If it's not the fact it does as much damage as a loving howitzer shell, Mullins reloads the drat thing faster than the Terminator. The only other shotgun that comes close is FEAR's shotgun.

Also there were buttons you could press to twirl the thing around like a retard!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

SavageMessiah posted:

Also there were buttons you could press to twirl the thing around like a retard!

And to change the hand you use your pistol with and other stuff. Multiplayer was a blast tbh, really fast deathmatch with lots of legs flying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Woolie Wool posted:

My 2007 Wolfenstein mod Spear Revisited has been rereleased for ECWolf so you no longer have to spend four hours swearing at DOSBox to get it to run, you get prerendered music instead of tinny OPL music, and the bosses are actually challenging!

There's a chalice inside a wall on the first map.