Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Citizen Tayne posted:

windshield-projected HUDs have been a thing since the eighties. They are nothing new.

oh yeah you could get it on some lovely Buick or Oldsmobile back in the day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Elder Postsman posted:

lovely Buick or Oldsmobile

[Score: -1, Redundant]

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
i prefer these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWUZQaqKtSU

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
I can't remember what car my friend had but it had a button to switch the digital speed display from mph to kph.

dope as gently caress

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
I'm sorry fish mech but that dude ended the video before the main part

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The Leck posted:

and yet disruptors were mostly used by aliens

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

As a Millennial I posted:

white spaceflight

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

they've been putting basic ones in fancy-people cars for years now, they're just not like plane huds with tracking and augmented reality poo poo and stuff, they're just screens.

want my car to be able to get a target lock on other cars, dammit.

buy a car with radar cruise control or w/e

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I am patiently waiting for twitter to die so the poors can take back mid-market and annex eNema

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Elder Postsman posted:

yeah the a-10 is the best plane

why

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

it has a gun and the only measure of quality is how good it is at murdering people

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

IT BEGINS

quote:

A federal judge in San Francisco has allowed a civil lawsuit filed against Uber by an advocacy group for the blind to proceed.
The case was initially filed in September 2014 by the National Federation of the Blind of California and one individual plaintiff, who alleged that the quasi-taxi company is in violation of the federal Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), along with other state disabilities laws.

Uber had initially filed to have the case dismissed, but the judge’s ruling last Friday means the case will proceed.

quote:

In addition, some UberX drivers seriously mishandle guide dogs or harass blind customers with guide dogs even when they do not outright deny the provision of taxi service. For example, Leena Dawes is blind and uses a guide dog. An UberX driver forced Ms. Dawes’ guide dog into the closed trunk of the UberX sedan before transporting Ms. Dawes. When Ms. Dawes realized where the driver had placed her dog, she pleaded with the driver to pull over so that she could retrieve her dog from the trunk, but the driver refused her request. Other blind customers with guide dogs have been yelled at by Uber drivers who are hostile toward their guide dogs.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

no it's okay gently caress the blind the ada is stupid communist sjw bullshit anyway --internet

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

yeah but that just does like, one dimension in front of you, i want a targeting reticle and also missiles and lasers :colbert:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

pretty sure that if the rider requests that you immediately let them and their service animal and you don't then it counts as false imprisonment

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

sometimes I think "wouldn't it be cool if I could stick a rangefinder on my car" but then I wonder what would happen if I came over a hill and flashed a military plane with it and went to jail forever

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

they apparently use the same bands as police radar detectors
http://spectator.org/articles/57295/waterloo-radar-detector

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

sometimes I think "wouldn't it be cool if I could stick a rangefinder on my car" but then I wonder what would happen if I came over a hill and flashed a military plane with it and went to jail forever

my friend's dad runs a little local ISP that uses wireless links for everything, and they had a 10GHz link aimed kinda-sorta in the direction of the local air force base. one day a truck with a bunch of antennas shows up at the guy's house and he gets a very professional but very stern order to turn it off immediately - apparently it had taken an entire sector of a particular radar out or something and these guys had been tasked with driving around the truck and triangulating where it was coming from and shutting it up.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

everything uses the same bands as police radar detectors, every time you drive past a goddamn shopping center the door sensors light the thing up

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

quote:

You do not have to let anyone in your personal vehicle, the right thing to do would the rider to call once the request is made and ensure it won't be a problem with the driver.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

my friend's dad runs a little local ISP that uses wireless links for everything, and they had a 10GHz link aimed kinda-sorta in the direction of the local air force base. one day a truck with a bunch of antennas shows up at the guy's house and he gets a very professional but very stern order to turn it off immediately - apparently it had taken an entire sector of a particular radar out or something and these guys had been tasked with driving around the truck and triangulating where it was coming from and shutting it up.

sounds like a lovely radar system

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

everything uses the same bands as police radar detectors, every time you drive past a goddamn shopping center the door sensors light the thing up

gotta shop fast

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

duTrieux. posted:

sounds like a lovely radar system

he only gets 10.45-10.5 for those links, air force gets 10-10.45; i suspect his equipment was leaking or something

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

he only gets 10.45-10.5 for those links, air force gets 10-10.45; i suspect his equipment was leaking or something

I don't doubt his equipment was questionable since he tends to buy cheap stuff, that makes sense.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm told I drive like a crazy person but haven't had a speeding ticket in a decade so can't imagine how bad must this guys driving must be

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

I'm told I drive like a crazy person but haven't had a speeding ticket in a decade so can't imagine how bad must this guys driving must be

I love my V1 radar detector. It has without doubt saved me thousands that would otherwise been mulcted out of my hide by radar-trapping cops — and it has made driving fun again

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Progressive JPEG posted:

I love my V1 radar detector. It has without doubt saved me thousands that would otherwise been mulcted out of my hide by radar-trapping cops — and it has made driving fun again

hahah-oh, this isn't a joke post :/

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Finally, someone with an underdeveloped slave mentality.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Wow. I'm absolutely horrified by the responses to this article, at the Spectator, of all places. I'm seeing a sorry mix of cotton-headed conventional wisdom ("Slow down! Speed kills! Save a life") and obsequiousness with regard to your state and local government masters.

Speed limits, speed cameras, traffic cops, and all other associated items are all, without exception, first and foremost revenue generation devices. The numbers on a sign are almost always arbitrary, set by people who are chauffeur-driven, and ignorant of facts on the ground. It's appalling to me that in the wreckage of a republic of supposedly free citizens, we have to scan the horizon ceaselessly for armed and badged revenue agents.

Wacky libertarianism is open-borders stuff; this still exists within the realm of principle. And if you feel the speed limit is sacred, then for God's sake, get out of the left lane.

paging hp hovercraft

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i read stories like this, and i start to think that radar detectors should be a standard option in new cars: http://www.loweringthebar.net/2014/03/hampton-fl.html

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Deacon of Delicious posted:

hahah-oh, this isn't a joke post :/

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

it is my god given right to weave in and out of traffic going 95 on i-4 in a 2 ton metal box

if I cover my license plate in gold fringe can the cops still write me tickets

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

it is my god given right to weave in and out of traffic going 95 on i-4 in a 2 ton metal box

no but the coast guard can

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

prefect posted:

i read stories like this, and i start to think that radar detectors should be a standard option in new cars: http://www.loweringthebar.net/2014/03/hampton-fl.html

ticket quotas are now illegal in Florida and the famous town of Waldo shut down its police force because they're under federal investigation

apparently in addition to illegal ticket quotas the entire town was a giant embezzlement operation on behalf of the city council and they stole upwards of $200,000 a year in fine revenue

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 21, 2015

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Luigi Thirty posted:

ticket quotas are now illegal in Florida and the famous town of Waldo shut down its police force because they're under federal investigation

i haven't watched cop shows on tv in ages, but when i did, every once in a while the internal affairs people would come up, and they were treated like horrible monsters. i always wanted to ask the characters why it bothered them to have authority figures snooping around in what they were doing :D

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Luigi Thirty posted:

this, but unironically

gently caress you i'm gonna drive fast because i enjoy it, d w i

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

EVGA Longoria posted:

this, but unironically

gently caress you i'm gonna drive fast because i enjoy it, d w i

please stay out of pittsburgh, you miserable piece of poo poo.

Pooper Hero
Sep 11, 2001
The costumed crapper

pittsburgh, you miserable piece of poo poo.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Wow. I'm absolutely horrified by the responses to this article, at the Spectator, of all places. I'm seeing a sorry mix of cotton-headed conventional wisdom ("Slow down! Speed kills! Save a life") and obsequiousness with regard to your state and local government masters.

Speed limits, speed cameras, traffic cops, and all other associated items are all, without exception, first and foremost revenue generation devices. The numbers on a sign are almost always arbitrary, set by people who are chauffeur-driven, and ignorant of facts on the ground. It's appalling to me that in the wreckage of a republic of supposedly free citizens, we have to scan the horizon ceaselessly for armed and badged revenue agents.

Wacky libertarianism is open-borders stuff; this still exists within the realm of principle. And if you feel the speed limit is sacred, then for God's sake, get out of the left lane.

paging hp hovercraft

congress got the states to lower speed limits below what engineers recommendations for max speeds in the 70s in order to lower gas consumption so dunno if you'll get that from him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
That A/T thread about highway engineering contained a post from the OP about how some olds demanded a speed survey on their road because :byodood: KIDS ARE DRIVING TOO FAST :byodood:

so the highway engineers came out and did a speed survey to re-evaluate the road's speed limit

then set the speed limit higher :owned:

• Locked thread