Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't think it's a matter of each third-party company getting a quota. If Capcom has 2 characters that Sakurai thinks should appear and Namco only has 1, then that's how it goes.

Heck, even with Sega having a big stable of well-liked characters, only Sonic had that famous 90s rivalry with Mario, so I don't know if there's a second Sega fighter who would feel as right as him. Maybe Tails?

Knuckles, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

elf help book posted:

I care about the breast genie.

i do too

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Heck, even with Sega having a big stable of well-liked characters, only Sonic had that famous 90s rivalry with Mario, so I don't know if there's a second Sega fighter who would feel as right as him. Maybe Tails?
Hornet for Smash.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I do play Shulk, just not as often as my top 5 (R.O.B., Bowser, Duck Hunt, Lucario, and Dark Pit, though Mewtwo might make it a top 6).

The only way to make that top 5 more annoying is to switch bowser with villager

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
If a Soul Calibur character's popping up in Smash Bros, it's gotta be Necrid.

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
nah, voldo

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Ivy Busts In

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Namco brings Gon back to the fighting scene, they just announced this.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

TVs Ian posted:

Hornet for Smash.

The music just played in my head. Trigger warning that poo poo!

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I have never played the Boob Genie's games, but looking at her design I believe she is just boob enough and just anime enough that the Japanese fanbase would accept them. Likewise I think Shovel Knight is just Mega Man enough for Japan, and therefor he should get in despite only have one game as an ambassador for Shovel Knight the game in Japan.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Shantae and Shovel Knight are equally implausible, but I like Shovel Knight more

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Likewise I think Shovel Knight is just Mega Man enough for Japan, and therefor he should get in despite only have one game as an ambassador for Shovel Knight the game in Japan.

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure Mega Man isn't actually that popular in Japan, mostly just America :v:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If the baseline criteria for getting into Smash Bros were "looks anime enough for a theoretical Japanese person to like", the roster would be in a bloated state.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Ariong posted:

Trying to beat master hand with little mac is like peeling your fingernails off one by one. Any tips? There doesn't seem to be any way to consistently damage it beyond plinking away four health at a time with your terrible up-b.
Upsmash should hit if you stand on the right edge of the platform.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

So there's no reason to get this over the mayflash one right

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

whalestory posted:

So there's no reason to get this over the mayflash one right

It probably has a better build and will be worth more.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I just want Namco to have more representatives. They have lots of good characters and they deserve a little promotion if they're helping work on the game.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Xad posted:

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure Mega Man isn't actually that popular in Japan, mostly just America :v:
He isn't even popular here.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Smash Bros. isn't just about popularity. It's always been about Nintendo history, and now video game history. Mega Man and Pac-Man were big deals once.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I like Shovel Knight over Shantae because his game actually has good music. Also he plays a lot like Scrooge McDuck.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
It was $29.99 earlier but now $19.99.

I ordered it earlier at the bigger price, but got an Amazon rep to adjust the price of my order after the change. And I still get free shipping. Win win for me it seems.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Echo Chamber posted:

It was $29.99 earlier but now $19.99.

I ordered it earlier at the bigger price, but got an Amazon rep to adjust the price of my order after the change. And I still get free shipping. Win win for me it seems.

Most GameStops got them restocked last week too so it's worth checking in if you want one.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I accidentally figured out Perfect Pivoting last night and now it feels like a whole other chapter of this game has opened up. Very nice tech, imo

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Reiley posted:

I accidentally figured out Perfect Pivoting last night and now it feels like a whole other chapter of this game has opened up. Very nice tech, imo
What's your technique for doing it? I'm real bad at it.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

What's your technique for doing it? I'm real bad at it.

Move in a direction and then hit back and attack to tilt, or hold back and hit the C-stick to pivot fsmash. The trick is to still hold back when you hit the attack button during your pivot slide turnaround frames? I'm still figuring it out. That's perfect pivoting right? It's nice.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I wish I was even remotely coordinated enough to be able to understand and use wavedashing or perfect pivoting effectively.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Wavedashing in Smash 4 is, I agree, an advanced technique requiring precise execution, but if you keep at it the results are very rewarding. I believe in you!

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Alternatively, you can also hit A+B while turning around to do a smash out of a run. It is a bit dangerous if you're a character who's side-b does a dashing move like Little Mac or Charizard.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Bluff Buster posted:

Alternatively, you can also hit A+B while turning around to do a smash out of a run. It is a bit dangerous if you're a character who's side-b does a dashing move like Little Mac or Charizard.

This doesn't work if you remap your controls. It's actually the Normal and Special buttons that do this, not the physical A and B. I swapped B and Y so jump is at the bottom and Normal & Special are on opposite sides of the diamond, and got used to playing like this...... :(

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine

FactsAreUseless posted:

Smash Bros. isn't just about popularity. It's always been about Nintendo history, and now video game history. Mega Man and Pac-Man were big deals once.

You say this but Master Chief will never be in Smash Bros.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Chakram posted:

You say this but Master Chief will never be in Smash Bros.

Quite frankly, after Halo 4's abysmal showing I'm surprised to see him in anything.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Reiley posted:

Quite frankly, after Halo 4's abysmal showing I'm surprised to see him in anything.
That's because he's in hiding. #HuntTheTruth

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Have there been changes to the way the AI behaves in Cruel Smash since the game came out? I'm just getting into doing anything really with the WiiU version after getting burnt out on 4 3DS, and all the videos for Cruel Smash are from 2014 and back-throwing Miis off the stage isn't doing poo poo. How do you Cruel Smash with the current version?

Also where's the option to replace Smash Tour with Smash Run because Tour loving suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I like Smash Tour waaaay more than Smash Run. If it had online I'd play it all the time.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Vanrushal posted:

Have there been changes to the way the AI behaves in Cruel Smash since the game came out? I'm just getting into doing anything really with the WiiU version after getting burnt out on 4 3DS, and all the videos for Cruel Smash are from 2014 and back-throwing Miis off the stage isn't doing poo poo. How do you Cruel Smash with the current version?

Also where's the option to replace Smash Tour with Smash Run because Tour loving suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Right side of stage. Lucina up+b.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I like Smash Tour waaaay more than Smash Run. If it had online I'd play it all the time.

I really want to like it, because it's like Mario Party mixed with Smash, but good lord can it be frustrating.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Little Mac posted:

Right side of stage. Lucina up+b.

That's what I did with Shulk on 3DS, but that seemed even less appealing on WiiU due to doubling the amount of Miis it wants killed. Welp, guess I'm gonna go grind that out.

Re Tour - if I wanted to play Mario Party I'd play Mario Party. I do not want to play Mario Party. And it's got Challenges tied to it. :emo:

edit - Cruel Smash ended up not being so bad, thanks for the tip Little Mac!

Vanrushal fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 22, 2015

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
Am I just a poo poo koopa or is Bowser horrible against King Dedede? I was playing a good Dedede player for awhile, and I always won with every character in my rotation until I switched to Bowser, who I would always lose horribly with. He has a lot of trouble approaching.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Dodgeball posted:

I really want to like it, because it's like Mario Party mixed with Smash, but good lord can it be frustrating.

Of all the things that make Smash Tour bad, the real dealbreaker for me is that it's trivial to time stopping the spinner. It's entirely possible to roll all 5s and 6s every time you go.

I mean, they don't even let Mario Party be that obviously deterministic, why would they allow that in a game that rewards precise timing by its very nature?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
Mario Party is also super accessible whereas smash tour is insanely loving confusing.

• Locked thread