Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Yeah I don't really understand the reason for racking up shitloads of student loan debt on a fancy American college degree if you never plan to ever step foot or do business with the U.S. ever again? Just go straight to Sweden and live the good life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Celador posted:

Yeah I don't really understand the reason for racking up shitloads of student loan debt on a fancy American college degree if you never plan to ever step foot or do business with the U.S. ever again? Just go straight to Sweden and live the good life.

Except that college life in Sweden can kind of suck:

http://qz.com/85017/college-in-sweden-is-free-but-students-still-have-a-ton-of-debt-how-can-that-be/

Your tuition is free, but you live in an expensive city with high tax rates. In the end you graduate with a higher debt to income level than the United States, even if that debt is marginally easier to manage (it's forgiven after a quarter century).

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
How about more Bad With Money and less My Ideological Take on Macroeconomics?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Radbot posted:

I, uh, paid an ATM fee for the first time in my life last week.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Just got done with a Fantasy basketball season. The season winner sent out a long email talking about how he didn't know where the commissioner was and whether we could get in touch with him ASAP. I figured this dude was just an impatient guy but this is his last message after the commissioner messaged back:

Poor Dude posted:

Thank you...sorry for being impatient...needed the money to pay the bills.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I have a friend who's convinced that he can take out a ton of student loan debt to get through college, then flee to Europe (where he has someone there (in Sweden I think? not sure) ready to marry him and therefore give him an easy path to citizenship I guess?) and "they can't do anything or even find you so it just goes away."

Now this sounds incredibly dumb to me, but pointing out that that's probably not true just got a anecdote about some guy who did it that they found on reddit or something. Any specifics as to why this is a very bad loving idea? Thanks :)

Well, Americans have to file an income tax return even if they live overseas, and even if they don't owe anything due to foreign income exclusions, and you have to report all of your foreign accounts as well. So unless he wants to be in poo poo with the IRS as well if he ever wants to come BACK to the U.S., the government and his loan officers are gonna know what he's up to. Also, I wouldn't be shocked if they start to deny people passport renewals if they go delinquent on student loan payments, similar to what they do for people skipping out on child support.

If you make no money, just get on IBR. The foreign income exclusion should be enough to cut your payments down to zero, so you don't have to get all shady about it and open yourself up to future problems. Yeah, you get a big bill when it's forgiven in 25 years (since that forgiveness counts as income for the year), but it'll still be saving you money.

ChipNDip fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 21, 2015

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Shadowhand00 posted:

Just got done with a Fantasy basketball season. The season winner sent out a long email talking about how he didn't know where the commissioner was and whether we could get in touch with him ASAP. I figured this dude was just an impatient guy but this is his last message after the commissioner messaged back:

I have the feeling I'm getting this situation in reverse.

I am in a hockey pool every year with some family and friends, my cousin runs it. He was REAL insistent that we pay our league does right away at the start of the season, got all antsy about it. I ended up winning the league and here I am a week later still waiting for my money to be sent to me :colbert:

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Radbot posted:

Understanding how policy can have an enormous impact on your life and being good with money go hand in hand.

So do blaming greedy banks while driving a shitbox Corolla your whole life because you made ill-informed decisions.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

High Lord Elbow posted:

Understanding how policy can have an enormous impact on your life and being good with money go hand in hand.

So do blaming greedy banks while driving a shitbox Corolla your whole life because you made ill-informed decisions.

Hey, it doesn't have to be a shitbox Corolla. Sometimes the car purchase itself is the ill-informed decision.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I got my 401k documentation from my shiny new job today and got to listen to a 15-minute lecture from my dad about how I should put as much money into it as possible so I can take a 401k loan and buy a used car with it at 401k loan rates instead of usurious AUTO LOAN rates just like he did. "I walked into a car lot with a check for $15,000 and walked out with a car that day!"

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

But he's paying himself and not some scummy bank!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

SpelledBackwards posted:

But he's paying himself and not some scummy bank!

This was his logic, yes. "I'm paying myself lower rates than those loving auto loan scumbags would want!"

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

I got my 401k documentation from my shiny new job today and got to listen to a 15-minute lecture from my dad about how I should put as much money into it as possible so I can take a 401k loan and buy a used car with it at 401k loan rates instead of usurious AUTO LOAN rates just like he did. "I walked into a car lot with a check for $15,000 and walked out with a car that day!"

Who needs retirement these days?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Someone explain to me how you can take out a loan from 401k? Not American so I'm confused, I've seen it brought up multiple times but is your 401k account loaning you money (this is really bizarre) or are you using 401k account to borrow against?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Suspicious Lump posted:

Someone explain to me how you can take out a loan from 401k? Not American so I'm confused, I've seen it brought up multiple times but is your 401k account loaning you money (this is really bizarre) or are you using 401k account to borrow against?
Yeah your 401k account loans you money, and then you're required to pay it back at a certain interest rate. There's a couple reasons why it's bad:

1. If you lose your job, that money has to be paid back ASAP, because the 401k is tied to your job.
2. The money that's put into a 401k is tax-advantaged (it's pre-tax money), but the money you're using to fill it back up when you're paying back the loan is normal post-tax money, so it partially defeats the point of the 401k.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Suspicious Lump posted:

The gist of it is:
-Your account is effectively loaning you the money, and the loaned funds aren't making normal gains while you have the debt.
-You pay interest to yourself, but it's with post-tax money(401ks are normally paid into with pre-tax dollars), and the interest is nowhere near what you'd get with normal gains.
-If you lose your job, you have to pay back the loan ASAP.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Cicero posted:

2. The money that's put into a 401k is tax-advantaged (it's pre-tax money), but the money you're using to fill it back up when you're paying back the loan is normal post-tax money, so it partially defeats the point of the 401k.

Haifisch posted:

The gist of it is:
-Your account is effectively loaning you the money, and the loaned funds aren't making normal gains while you have the debt.
-You pay interest to yourself, but it's with post-tax money(401ks are normally paid into with pre-tax dollars), and the interest is nowhere near what you'd get with normal gains.

Luckily double taxation only occurs on the interest portion of the loan.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

That just goes along with my healthcare comparison that these costs are increasingly being passed on to the end user. Every year the Board of Regents gets together and increases tuition because more money is needed. But the question is why more money is needed.

My state's largest university is now paying it's football team's Defensive Coordinator 1.3 million dollars a year. That school probably makes a profit off it's sports team, but other similar schools' defensive coordinators are going to look at that and think, "I should get a raise." Now magnify that by every big expense a college has, like new student centers or obscure academic chairs. So costs go up across the board and next year the Board of Regents is announcing another 3% increase because as long as student loans are cheap they can pass along the costs regardless of state budget cuts. Until they can't, at which point an increase in costs results in a decrease in demand like every properly functioning market.
Yes they make a big profit on football. There are a few teams with DCs that are paid that much (Alabama, LSU, Clemson, Virginia Tech) and all are profitable. Alabama and LSU are vastly more profitable than VT and Clemson, but the latter still make millions in profit.

I know that many schools do not run profitable programs, but the ones that are paying coaches millions of dollars almost always have profitable football teams. The TV deals alone are worth eight figures per school, at least for those in the big conferences.

For the programs that are in the black, paying coaches millions of dollars is apparently very good with money.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Haifisch posted:

The gist of it is:
-If you lose your job, you have to pay back the loan ASAP.
Yeah you have 90 days without a payment before the money you still owe yourself is considered a 401k distribution, which means you pay a penalty for early withdrawal (I think 10%) AND you have to pay income tax on the amount of the distribution. So basically you lose ~40% to taxes/penalties.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Today on reddit: A brilliant plan that can never backfire.

http://www.np.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/33bv34/im_churning_balance_transfers_for_big_profits_is/ posted:

Is anyone else taking Low APR balance transfer money and putting it in the stock market?

I started out a couple years ago by taking advantage of the promotional chase slate %0 APR with no balance transfer fee to get $15K. I invested the money in a brokerage account with an low fee S&P500 index fund. Its been a great couple years on wall street and I did great! YMMV, but you can ask the guys at /r/personalfinance: The expected rate of return on money in the stock market is about %8/yr based on the last 100 years of results. You can certainly lose money in a given year, but there positive expected-value to this approach. Each max transfer of $15k should earn on average $1200/year

After all the churning, I have tons of useless cards and well over $100k available balance. I have also noticed that many useless cards are now offering 14mos of 0% APR with only a %2 balance transfer fee (CapitolOne and SouthwestChase, and the ChaseSlate). I just went ahead and put $15k balance transfer on each of them. This will still keep my utilization under %30 so I'm not concerned for my credit. It seems like a great way to get extra value from useless lines of credit.
The trick to turning the balance transfer into a cash advance is simple. I simply use the balance transfer to OVERPAY one of my lightly used cards from a different bank. I let the credit sit there for a few days, then simply ask customer support to send me a check for the current credit on my card.... within 10 days I have a check in my mailbox.

Questions: I will want to cancel/change a couple of these cards before paying them off to avoid AF. I'm pretty sure this is allowed as long as you just keep making your payments. Am i right? Is anyone else doing this? Does this seem foolish or genius assuming you can afford the risk.

E: Wait, it gets worse. One of the comments says he has a 2 year old & another baby on the way. :ohdear:

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 22, 2015

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Haifisch posted:

E: Wait, it gets worse. One of the comments says he has a 2 year old & another baby on the way. :ohdear:

Cheque kiting but with credit cards. A brilliant scheme until he gets charged interest or someone wants their money back. Still it could be worse, he could involved with Spanish banks.

Interest is negative but the principle on the mortgage has increased in value.

quote:

The client in 2006 took out a roughly €500,000 ($530,000) home mortgage loan based on Swiss franc Libor, plus 0.5 percentage point. Since then, Swiss franc Libor has fallen far enough into negative territory to make his mortgage rate negative.

It is hardly a windfall for this customer, however, because, while Swiss franc Libor has fallen, the Swiss franc itself has risen in value against the euro. That means the value in euros of the total mortgage debt he owes Bankinter has also increased, because that debt is denominated in Swiss francs.

quote:

A Madrid judge in November ruled against a client of Banco Santander SA who claimed that Spain’s largest bank inappropriately established a floor on his mortgage in 2013 and therefore owed him money. The plaintiff had taken out a mortgage in 2005 that offered a fixed rate of 2% in the first year and Euribor minus 1.1 percentage points thereafter. The plaintiff said he was now owed money from the bank.

To buttress his argument that a bank shouldn’t have to pay a borrower for a loan, the judge quoted from a June 2014 statement from the Bank of Spain that “a payment in favor of the client in these situations would never apply, but rather the application of an interest rate of zero by the entity.” The Bank of Spain spokesman said the statement cited in the case was issued by the central bank’s customer-complaints service, which typically responds to particular cases. The Bank of Spain hasn’t issued a systemwide decision on how banks should treat negative interest rates, he said.

Some will be collecting on a negative interest rate on their mortgage. Even though the judge has said that he can't claim the negative interest the mortgage is now at 0%. Lending money at 0% or -ve% is bad with money.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/as-inte...tm_medium=email

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Devian666 posted:

Cheque kiting but with credit cards. A brilliant scheme until he gets charged interest or someone wants their money back. Still it could be worse, he could involved with Spanish banks.

Interest is negative but the principle on the mortgage has increased in value.

Some will be collecting on a negative interest rate on their mortgage. Even though the judge has said that he can't claim the negative interest the mortgage is now at 0%. Lending money at 0% or -ve% is bad with money.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/as-inte...tm_medium=email

Am I understanding this correctly? These mortgage agreements basically said, "X + Y - Z," and when those numbers added up to something negative, the mortgage-holders were told to gently caress off? It sounds like the entirety of the reasoning is, "Well, of course there's an invisible floor at zero, even if your agreement doesn't say anything about it." I've had friends lose their homes when their agreements caused their payments to bloat and bloat and bloat to unmanageable proportions, and I'm almost certain they would have been laughed out of court if they tried to reason, "Well, of course there's an invisible ceiling at $X, even if my mortgage agreement doesn't say so." How does a "statement from the Bank of Spain" qualify as some sort of legal document that the judge can refer to as justification for his ruling?

I feel like I might be misunderstanding what's going on, here.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Centripetal Horse posted:

Am I understanding this correctly? These mortgage agreements basically said, "X + Y - Z," and when those numbers added up to something negative, the mortgage-holders were told to gently caress off? It sounds like the entirety of the reasoning is, "Well, of course there's an invisible floor at zero, even if your agreement doesn't say anything about it." I've had friends lose their homes when their agreements caused their payments to bloat and bloat and bloat to unmanageable proportions, and I'm almost certain they would have been laughed out of court if they tried to reason, "Well, of course there's an invisible ceiling at $X, even if my mortgage agreement doesn't say so." How does a "statement from the Bank of Spain" qualify as some sort of legal document that the judge can refer to as justification for his ruling?

There was a case to be heard the judge decided against it. Nothing to stop an appeal to a higher court. Those banks are amending their mortgage agreements because they never anticipated the scenarios where the floating rate went negative. Although if that bank paid negative interest they'd probably go broke, although a 0% interest rate is pretty bad for them anyway. So you do understand this.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009

Devian666 posted:

Are tracker mortgages available in the US? These things fuelled the housing boom in Ireland in the years preceding the crash. Banks were offering 100% mortgages locked to 0.1 or 0.2% above to the ecb rate. Now all these people are in negative equity and the banks are losing a fortune on these things because the ecb rate is basically zero. Ireland is the best bad with money country from the boom.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Woah, this butter keeper is on mega sale today.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A1APL8/ref=pe_747400_137432970_em_1p_0_ti

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

When the interest rates in a lot of countries hit eye watering levels in the 80s banks were "aww can't afford your mortgage? gently caress you pay me" so I personally hope that guy appeals wins and gets paid for borrowing money.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

I bought six. With deals like that, you'd be stupid not to!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Haifisch posted:

I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea if he is sufficiently capitalized. If he has $100k invested of which $30k is borrowed then he should be fine. Although if he doesn't have any reserve he wouldn't survive any problems.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

adamarama posted:

Are tracker mortgages available in the US? These things fuelled the housing boom in Ireland in the years preceding the crash. Banks were offering 100% mortgages locked to 0.1 or 0.2% above to the ecb rate. Now all these people are in negative equity and the banks are losing a fortune on these things because the ecb rate is basically zero. Ireland is the best bad with money country from the boom.

We have adjustable rate mortgages that sort of do that. They're fixed for a few years, and then the rate changes every year after that, with the new rate based on the Fed Funds rate. They're not really locked though, so they would never make the rate negative.

The U.S. offers truly fixed-rate loans for an entire 30 year amortization period. As in whatever rate you start paying at the start, it stays there for the entire duration of the loan. It'd be pretty foolish to not take a fixed rate mortgage at 3-4% when it's guaranteed for the life of the loan. Should rates keep dropping, you can choose to refinance for a better rate.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Uranium 235 posted:

Yes they make a big profit on football. There are a few teams with DCs that are paid that much (Alabama, LSU, Clemson, Virginia Tech) and all are profitable. Alabama and LSU are vastly more profitable than VT and Clemson, but the latter still make millions in profit.

I know that many schools do not run profitable programs, but the ones that are paying coaches millions of dollars almost always have profitable football teams. The TV deals alone are worth eight figures per school, at least for those in the big conferences.

For the programs that are in the black, paying coaches millions of dollars is apparently very good with money.

Good for the school, bad for the overall university system since ever increasing salaries for the profitable schools increases salaries for the unprofitable ones as well (probably not at the same pace).

Just a statistic to throw out, between 2007 and 2011, when the Great Recession was cutting state funding to schools, Division 1 football head coach salaries increased 44%. Yet less than 1/5th of Division 1 programs make money. So yeah, college football kind of sucks. My alma mater survived 90 years without a football team before getting one 5 years ago. I can't imagine the money they're sinking into that hole. Oh wait, I can - student fees in the last 5 years increased 14%, which I think is about $200 extra per student per year. Go Panthers and our .193 winning percentage!

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 22, 2015

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
College football really ought to be NFL minor leagues instead.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Krispy Kareem posted:

Except that college life in Sweden can kind of suck:

http://qz.com/85017/college-in-sweden-is-free-but-students-still-have-a-ton-of-debt-how-can-that-be/

Your tuition is free, but you live in an expensive city with high tax rates. In the end you graduate with a higher debt to income level than the United States, even if that debt is marginally easier to manage (it's forgiven after a quarter century).

Wouldn't really call that sucking. The quarterly payments are so low it's bascially nothing to worry about, unless you are an idiot of course. The interest this year is 1%, and it's usually thereabouts year after year. I'd be worried if I was one of those people who just want to go to parties and live the student life while doing Harry Potter courses and other uselss stuff, while using up the 6 years you are allowed to get student financing for. Otherwise, can't complain.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
From my monthly company newsletter's "Suggestion Box" where we get to make requests (and the company gets to shoot us down.)

quote:

COMPANY should implement a 401k match and allow employees to borrow from it and pay ourselves back.

Good with money! Oh. Er... bad with money.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
https://www.facebook.com/MicMedia/videos/922511064438351/

e: relevant (gbs beware) http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3715292

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Centripetal Horse posted:

Nope, you are understanding perfectly; the bank didn't like the unforseen consequences of their contractual agreement with their customers and told them to gently caress off. Just remember this if you ever face an unforseen circumstance and it is in your best interest to walk away from a debt of some kind.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

canyoneer posted:

I took an undergrad business degree. The dean told us that, surprise, there are only two colleges at that university that run at a surplus. Only the business school and the law school take in more from donations/grants/tuition than they spend.
Hitting it big as a dance/journalism/anthropology major doesn't mean that you'll be able to afford an 8 figure endowment towards your alma mater.

College sports is bad with money.
Mens basketball and football are the "profit" sports that subsidize all the other money-losers, but even then, ~20ish of the US universities turn a profit on athletics. The rest are subsidized through student fees. So next time you're rooting for your favorite college team, remember that the entire student body is taking out student loans so we all can enjoy the game. The coaches are earning millions, the athletes aren't being paid, and their professors might be helping them cheat their way through the degree (looking at you, UNC and probably a bunch of others).
At least the track team or swim team people on athletic scholarships might be getting a good education

You have to step back and think about what it even means for a college sports program to be "profitable". They aren't companies with shareholders that could collect profits in the form of dividends or share buybacks. Schools can make piles of money from TV deals, gate receipts, merchandising, and booster donations, then shower their coaching staffs and administrators with millions, build lavish facilities, and show an accounting "profit" of $0 or even some nominal loss (to the extent that Athletics Associations are even obligated to reveal anything about their finances!) when it's obvious to anyone looking that the entire operation is an impressive money engine.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Nope, you are understanding perfectly; the bank didn't like the unforseen consequences of their contractual agreement with their customers and told them to gently caress off. Just remember this if you ever face an unforseen circumstance and it is in your best interest to walk away from a debt of some kind.

I would like one of these negative mortgages though. The bank would lend me money on my house and then they would have to pay it off for me. It's good with money.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Did anybody tell them that Tim and Eric was intentionally lovely and antagonistic as a weird meta-joke that appealed to a hyper specific group of people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Haifisch posted:

I thought this was illegal somehow. Maybe I'm thinking of the time-tested investing with your federal student loan money tactic, which isn't illegal per se but is, uh, inadvisable.

• Locked thread