Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I got to thinking today and decided I really want a cyber initiative dlc pack for all the ninja's in game. Give me back Cyber Sub Zero and then give us Cyber Ermac, Cyber Scorpion, Cyber Reptile, and Cyber Tremor.

Just robot ninja's everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Between the constantly having to reconnect to servers between ranked match searching and occasionally just getting put up against someone I have literally no chance against, online is a real poo poo rollercoaster.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fibby Boy posted:

I got to thinking today and decided I really want a cyber initiative dlc pack for all the ninja's in game. Give me back Cyber Sub Zero and then give us Cyber Ermac, Cyber Scorpion, Cyber Reptile, and Cyber Tremor.

Just robot ninja's everywhere.

Instead of Cyrax and Sektor they're just giving us the actual Predator, which works pretty well for me. :)

Orv posted:

Between the constantly having to reconnect to servers between ranked match searching and occasionally just getting put up against someone I have literally no chance against, online is a real poo poo rollercoaster.

I'm having a hard time enjoying online because if I beat somebody I figure he was just lower ranked than me and if I lose to somebody I figure he was just higher ranked. I never really feel like its my own skill or that I'm triumphing where I should fail or something. :shrug:

I guess I should try playing the king of the hill mode or whatever that's supposed to be more like the old arcade days of trading off.

Just playing random versus matches is pretty soul crushing.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

When the factions are working correctly, isn't the winning faction supposed to have a special fight/tower they do and send out, and the other factions can beat it to gain bigger leads on the current winner?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Fibby Boy posted:

The Black Dragon is pretty slim on members.
I have to wonder what all these "advanced weapons" are that the game insists Kano is a notorious dealer in. I'm not seeing a lot of Outworld dudes with laser eyes or whatever, so I can only assume he found several warehouses of slightly dusty Tarkatans he sells off to be incidentally murdered by the player characters every second cutscene.

Also, is it just me or are the best Brutalities the ones you pull off entirely by accident? :haw:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm having a hard time enjoying online because if I beat somebody I figure he was just lower ranked than me and if I lose to somebody I figure he was just higher ranked. I never really feel like its my own skill or that I'm triumphing where I should fail or something. :shrug:

I guess I should try playing the king of the hill mode or whatever that's supposed to be more like the old arcade days of trading off.

When I fight someone near my skill level (seems like that'll even out to 2/3 matches at this rate) it's very enjoyable. Trying to learn everything that's going on, trying to outsmart the opponent, it's all great. I get it, I get why everyone likes fighting games now. Then occasionally I just get combo'd out of existence by someone who is 124/13 or whatever on the third match of each three, and that coupled with the need to reconnect is just bleeeegh.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

When the factions are working correctly, isn't the winning faction supposed to have a special fight/tower they do and send out, and the other factions can beat it to gain bigger leads on the current winner?

Yes, it is/was up in the faction section.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The Kins posted:

I have to wonder what all these "advanced weapons" are that the game insists Kano is a notorious dealer in. I'm not seeing a lot of Outworld dudes with laser eyes or whatever, so I can only assume he found several warehouses of slightly dusty Tarkatans he sells off to be incidentally murdered by the player characters every second cutscene.

Also, is it just me or are the best Brutalities the ones you pull off entirely by accident? :haw:

I was playing as Johnny Cage last night and ended a match on a nut punch. I didn't realize that was a brutality, so when the guys head popped off I was delighted.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

GGPO can function exactly the same as every delay-based implementation if the user wants it to. GGPO is not the reason people don't play Skullgirls.

Spermgod posted:

rollback combined with delay (which every rollback based approach actually is) is categorically superior to delay-based because at worst you can just use it as a delay-based method. also skullgirls has the best netcode of any fighting game out and most people who've played a lot of fighting games agree.

Brosnan posted:

Yeah sorry, GGPO is a much better experience than anything MK or SF4 have been able to provide. Tekken also blows them out of the water.

Yeah, I had a feeling GGPO is what people had in mind with their vague references to better "netcode." GGPO is not a magic bullet, and it has its own drawbacks (as any rollback system will). Additionally, popular games like MK and SF4 attract a much larger playerbase, increasing the likelihood of matching up with more casual players on saturated 2.4Ghz wifi connections--and that's just one variable of many that can affect the quality of online play. Most of what fighting game developers do to address latency is in the gameplay. E.g., Blazblue has long combo hitstops, MKX lets you input combos immediately, and Tekken games have a ~7-frame input buffer to rollback on (unfortunately, this negatively affects blocking on reaction).

Speaking of Tekken:

quote:

Famitsu: With regards to the online play in Tekken 7, we're wondering if you could tell us more about the techniques or methods the development team utilized in order to keep latency low.

It's often said that lag is often the result of badly-written netcode (the part of the game program that deals with Internet communications), or so we hear...

Katsuhiro Harada: Nope, nope, latency issues aren't something you can resolve simply by changing the way the netcode is written.

Tekken titles contain some of the highest amounts of key input data, when you compare it to other fighting games, sure. But with that said there's still no such code that automatically makes latency issues go away, like magic.

On a very superficial level it's easy to attribute all of the latency issues to "netcode" because it's a buzzword that's easy to understand. But really the term is just something that people like to use because they don't know understand the latency issues very well.

He goes on to explain that players complain that each new game is sluggish compared to the previous, even though the developers didn't change anything. Fighting game fans love their superstitions about "netcode."

Edit:

Shockeh posted:

No, it's not. The person posting that is talking nonsense, and I ignored it on purpose until your reply proves misinformation gets validated.

The entire stack at the network layer and below is entirely unified; If you're talking to a remote host, there's no reason why (beyond external influences like QOS, or some fault condition) pinging it should receive any different treatment than playing Mortal Kombat with it. Taking this premise, if you play multiple games with the same 'frame dependent gameplay' (sic) such as multiple different fighting games with the same user, they should all have the same performance profile.

Latency, Delay & Jitter are universal things any time dependent application has to expect and compensate for, and different applications handle it in different ways with varying degress of success. Mortal Kombat is not one that handles it well.

You can talk to me directly--I'm right here. "Netcode" is a made-up umbrella term; game network programmers rarely use it. I'm not sure why you're mocking the phrase "frame-dependent gameplay" either, since it differentiates a fighting game from a shooter, where players rarely interact with each other beyond hitscans. Shooters can get away with more tricks to mask the effects of latency, and they can make philosophical adjustments (e.g., preferring interpolation in order to favor the shooter). The usual tricks aren't as effective in frame-based gameplay like a fighting game, so there's no solution that won't make gamers unhappy. SFxT had a rollback system, and people bitched about frame skipping.

Toady fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 22, 2015

looking.glass.eyes
May 21, 2007

“The eye sees a thing more clearly in dreams than the imagination awake.” -Leonardo da Vinci

Moacher posted:

I see what you mean, but yeah, it's basically the exact opposite of that.

Lin Kuei is really just Sub-Zero. Black Dragon is just Kano.
Special forces is Sonya, Jax, Johnny, Kenshi, Cassie, Kung Jin, Takeda, and Jacqui.
and there's no "Outworld" faction for Kotal, Ermac, Reptile, FerraTorr, Erron, and D'Vorah.

It's about as unbalanced as you can get.

Silly. I guess I assumed that all the Outworld characters just got lumped in to Brotherhood of Shadow. Also I think until now, I thought Faction Kills were actually locked to faction members, even though nothing else was, because I'm dumb apparently.

Zaphod42 posted:

I thought it'd be cool if playing the character of a faction got you bonus.

loving Netherrealm either needs to completely overhaul the faction system or admit it is broken and gut it. Nobody other than ice ninja clan is ever going to win. There's no mechanics in place to balance the factions at all and for such a huge community personal impact makes such a little difference that you have only 2 options:

Pick the winning clan (ice ninjas)

or pick the clan which gives you the faction kill fatalities you prefer, and then slowly grind it.

Its a cool idea that was just unfortunately half-assed and badly designed. And it doesn't help that the servers are down more often than they're up.

Agreed. Meta-game or not, some integration to the actual game would have been neat I think, and maybe helped with the horrible imbalance happening now.

Alright, more on topic...let's talk fight advice. It seems like the first 3 seconds of the match can be ridiculously critical, and I feel like I whatever I do is the wrong choice. If I block or wait, my opponent pressures and I never regain any momentum. If I go on the offensive, I get countered or blocked and punished. How do you all decide what to lead off with? Second round is a little easier, since it seems like whatever the person did first round, they repeat so I'm a little more prepared. My main is Vicious Ferra/Torr, and I'm trying to work with Swarm Queen D'vorah as well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

looking.glass.eyes posted:

Alright, more on topic...let's talk fight advice. It seems like the first 3 seconds of the match can be ridiculously critical, and I feel like I whatever I do is the wrong choice. If I block or wait, my opponent pressures and I never regain any momentum. If I go on the offensive, I get countered or blocked and punished. How do you all decide what to lead off with? Second round is a little easier, since it seems like whatever the person did first round, they repeat so I'm a little more prepared. My main is Vicious Ferra/Torr, and I'm trying to work with Swarm Queen D'vorah as well.

Match starting is like rock, paper, scissors. You're pretty blind and you have to just kinda commit to something, but you can play some headgames with the multiple rounds.

Be really aggressive on the first round and then block at the start of the second so they don't expect that, things like that. Like you said, second round is easier, first is just a crapshoot.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Zaphod42 posted:

Instead of Cyrax and Sektor they're just giving us the actual Predator, which works pretty well for me. :)

Man I love online. I just do player matches though and usually I end up with like a 3% chance to win. The funny part is that I'll lose but I usually take my opponent deep enough in each match that they become curious and keep playing. I've had a few people go 10 games up on me, only for me to get better while I'm playing and start taking it closer to 50:50 as I learn the matchup. Means I have a great understanding of how Kotal Kahn works for example. (Basically, wait for the goddamn sword to come out, then combo the poo poo out of him, breaker basically anything when he has meter because you're going to get Electric Chair slammed like five times otherwise)

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Zaphod42 posted:

...Rank means nothing, it's a fighting game. If a dude beat you he was better than you and if you beat a dude you were better than him. What part of you losing to/beating a guy (outside of lag) means that it was not their skill vs your skill?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

...Rank means nothing, it's a fighting game. If a dude beat you he was better than you and if you beat a dude you were better than him. What part of you losing to/beating a guy (outside of lag) means that it was not their skill vs your skill?

Well when I go against a guy that doesn't even attempt to block or break a combo, I assume that maybe I shouldn't be matched against him.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Mr E posted:

Well when I go against a guy that doesn't even attempt to block or break a combo, I assume that maybe I shouldn't be matched against him.

He's trying to get the super secret Nudality where you win a match without blocking

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

AnonSpore posted:

Basically, with enough lag and cherry-picking opponents, anyone can get to a high ranking online just by spamming something fast and supposedly-unsafe over and over. It really doesn't mean much. In the same fashion, a pretty good X player might be trying out a new character for fun and drop in rank. It doesn't represent skill, your gameplay does.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Mr E posted:

That doesn't have anything to do with my point or the post I was replying to, though. If you're Justin Wong you shouldn't be matched against the guy who just spams buttons without even looking at the screen, but the fact that remains that when you beat him you're still better than him, and the result of the match is a direct result of your skill vs his skill (bad though he might be) and nothing more, nothing less. You were better at pressing buttons than the other guy and that's why you won, not because you were higher level than him so your character had more health and took less damage.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

If I change factions temporarily, will I gain my faction rewards back if I re-join my old one?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Goddamn, this game is giving me downright decision anxiety, I just can't settle on any one character to play. Every time I try a new one it's like I get to have only two out of:
- I like their combos/can do them reliably
- I like their overall capabilities outside of combos
- I like their style

It's both maddening and awesome, as I find myself experimenting with characters I barely even touched in MK9 :allears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

I know, I do mean skill. But my point is like, people I beat feel like they're so much lower than me in skill that I don't even have to try, while people who beat me feel like they're so much better than me in skill that even if I was loving on the ball and had my best game of my life, I'd still win. Which makes it seem pointless.

I could go and practice all day and get better, but then there's always going to be people that are better than me and can stomp me. I'm never going to be a pro EVO fighting player.

Fighting against the same people, your friends, allows you to see that you're getting better. But if you're only fighting random people online once, the only time you see them, and then you're off again, you don't know if that guy you were fighting was just really bad or if you did a good job. Similarly sometimes its like, did I just suck it up, or was I just matched against somebody who plays this for a living, and I did pretty well considering?

Basically I'm just saying the matchmaking sucks, okay?

Mr E posted:

Exactly.

And the same is true of the opposite; if a guy gets 2 flawless victories in a row on me.

AnonSpore posted:

You were better at pressing buttons than the other guy and that's why you won, not because you were higher level than him so your character had more health and took less damage.

Missing the point. Matchmaking sucks. I'm well aware there's no RPG mechanics in MKX.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 22, 2015

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
Go into one of the big rooms and challenge a guy if you're having trouble with matchmaking. That way, if you meet someone you enjoy playing with you can play them however many times in a row and if you have an absurdly one sided match you can leave as soon as it's over. I had a 20-game spree against a Scorpion who kicked my rear end 4 times out of 5 last night and it was a blast, since even though he was way better than me, the more we played the more I gained on him.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

My favorite part about Cassie's laundry-day gymwear outfit, is that I imagine she's Robin Wright's character from House of Cards getting more involved in her work.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
As in all fighting games, don't play ranked. Use the player matches or rooms to find someone who will play multiple games with you in a row. It's a better experience in every way and the best way to get better at the game.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just got farmer Jax, mime Johnny and classic Kitana with this wbid someone posted on reddit. The post is an hour old so I'd get on it. It took about 5 min for the stuff to show up and it told me the account link failed but nope.

hgm6h@slipry.net
pass: hgm6hnet

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Missing the point. Matchmaking sucks. I'm well aware there's no RPG mechanics in MKX.

Maybe you shoulda said in the first place instead of talking about how winning or losing feels like it's got nothing to do with

quote:

my own skill or that I'm triumphing where I should fail or something.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Kano was upset that everyone got cool child proteges to carry on their legacy so he got one of his own in his ending

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

Maybe you shoulda said in the first place instead of talking about how winning or losing feels like it's got nothing to do with

Sorry, Dad. :rolleyes:

ParanoidInc posted:

Go into one of the big rooms and challenge a guy if you're having trouble with matchmaking. That way, if you meet someone you enjoy playing with you can play them however many times in a row and if you have an absurdly one sided match you can leave as soon as it's over. I had a 20-game spree against a Scorpion who kicked my rear end 4 times out of 5 last night and it was a blast, since even though he was way better than me, the more we played the more I gained on him.

Yeah I'll try this instead next time, seems like a better approach.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

plape tickler posted:

I just got farmer Jax, mime Johnny and classic Kitana with this wbid someone posted on reddit. The post is an hour old so I'd get on it. It took about 5 min for the stuff to show up and it told me the account link failed but nope.

hgm6h@slipry.net

Where do you enter this on pc?

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
PS4, inside the game. Hit square and login. Probably the same on pc?

or you meant the website?

https://www.wbplay.com/en_US/mortalkombatx#/confirmation

plape tickler fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 22, 2015

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

plape tickler posted:

hgm6h@slipry.net

The game told me account in use my first try. On the second try it worked. Costumes have not appeared yet. Do the costumes stay if you log out of the WBid?

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 22, 2015

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They seem to. I logged out and put in my old info. Closed the game. Still have the costumes. I got the unlock message as I was trying to login the second time though.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
All I got was future raiden. :smith:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Toady posted:

You can talk to me directly--I'm right here. "Netcode" is a made-up umbrella term; game network programmers rarely use it. I'm not sure why you're mocking the phrase "frame-dependent gameplay" either, since it differentiates a fighting game from a shooter, where players rarely interact with each other beyond hitscans. Shooters can get away with more tricks to mask the effects of latency, and they can make philosophical adjustments (e.g., preferring interpolation in order to favor the shooter). The usual tricks aren't as effective in frame-based gameplay like a fighting game, so there's no solution that won't make gamers unhappy. SFxT had a rollback system, and people bitched about frame skipping.

Okay - Your mileage clearly varies from mine, as I hear it all the time, and I work in network architecture, but that can easily be put down to differing experiences. I mock the phrase because that's the key point; If MK was 'fine' (and once again, I reiterate, it's fairly transparently not) then it would have comparable performance in situations of similar latency to other Fighting Games, most of which are notably more strict in terms of input timing than MK's 'Hammer it in as quickly as possible' approach.

Street Fighter, Tekken, the various Arc games and notably KoF all handle network variance better specifically when in similar circumstances. If MK does not, that's not some bizarroworld network condition, that's MK either A. Doing something really dumb (like interacting all the time with their tragically shortfalling central server infrastructure) or B. The Online component was not planned properly to handle the variables of the Internet.

Using SFxT as a comparative is like saying 'Well, I might be famous Nazi transvestite Herman Goerring, but at least I'm not Chairman Mao'.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

plape tickler posted:

They seem to. I logged out and put in my old info. Closed the game. Still have the costumes. I got the unlock message as I was trying to login the second time though.

Just logged in and out of the account a few times and it gave me the costumes. Thanks.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

The Kins posted:

I got one of these last night. Kenshi's third Brutality is bf3 which is a move I do all the time anyways and the only condition is "get the first hit" which I apparently did.

I kind of prefer having to set it up though. His first Brutality you get from winning both rounds with a throw. If I win the first round with a throw, it's a huge tell that I'm going for it, which makes it way more satisfying when I still pull it off.

Toady posted:

jet fuel can't melt steel netcode
idk man I'm playing the same people in this game as I do in Skullgirls and the connection is significantly worse in this one. I don't think my friends are playing me on a wired connection in Skullgirls then switching to wifi when we switch to MKX.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

AFewBricksShy posted:

I was playing as Johnny Cage last night and ended a match on a nut punch. I didn't realize that was a brutality, so when the guys head popped off I was delighted.

may contain peanuts posted:

I got one of these last night. Kenshi's third Brutality is bf3 which is a move I do all the time anyways and the only condition is "get the first hit" which I apparently did.
The one I got was Cassie's "shoot a hole in his loving head" one, which is relatively low on the requirements (have more than 50% health, be jumping distance away, shoot the bastard) while I was doing the MK1 tower. Was confused briefly when the game went into slow motion, but then I realised and was all :madmax:.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Shockeh posted:

Okay - Your mileage clearly varies from mine, as I hear it all the time, and I work in network architecture, but that can easily be put down to differing experiences. I mock the phrase because that's the key point; If MK was 'fine' (and once again, I reiterate, it's fairly transparently not) then it would have comparable performance in situations of similar latency to other Fighting Games, most of which are notably more strict in terms of input timing than MK's 'Hammer it in as quickly as possible' approach.

Street Fighter, Tekken, the various Arc games and notably KoF all handle network variance better specifically when in similar circumstances. If MK does not, that's not some bizarroworld network condition, that's MK either A. Doing something really dumb (like interacting all the time with their tragically shortfalling central server infrastructure) or B. The Online component was not planned properly to handle the variables of the Internet.

Using SFxT as a comparative is like saying 'Well, I might be famous Nazi transvestite Herman Goerring, but at least I'm not Chairman Mao'.

You made the point I wanted to make but was too lazy to properly argue. It's not that fighting game developers can magically make packets of data move faster across the world, it's that their online infrastructure sometimes ain't very well-planned.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Bloodly posted:

Obligatory "The Black Dragon Live On!" reference.

I'm going Black Dragon and staying there after I finish the other four factions, and then I will quote this scene at all times.

I feel like if they had made Cassie the flagship SF character it probably would've been at least a tiny bit more popular.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Just wanted to confirm that the email posted a few posts up still works. I had to log in a few times, but it unlocked the costumes and some extra Kombat Kard stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Quasipox posted:

Just wanted to confirm that the email posted a few posts up still works. I had to log in a few times, but it unlocked the costumes and some extra Kombat Kard stuff.

I can't even get it to load the login screen on PC right now. It just hangs there.

• Locked thread