Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Chuu posted:

NPR spent a ton of time this weekend talking about earthquakes, past and future, in California. It looks like the US Geological Survey has the odds of a major earthquake (7.0+) on the San Andreas fault at 72% within the next 30 years.

Any interesting articles about how the state is addressing this?

Well if you have specific questions I work with (but am not myself) some of the very top seismologists and geophysicists in CA and could ask or find you the info.

There was a swarm of mini quakes in the Salton Sea two summers ago and that freaked every one out--it seems like the big question for earthquake scientists is not when but in which direction. The San Andreas is ready to go at any time, if it ruptures North -> South much of the energy is directed into the Salton Sea and it's not so bad (but still pretty bad). If it ruptures South -> North most of the energy will be directed into the LA basin and ricochet around the loose material it's composed of like a bowl of jello.

What I'm saying is if you live in southern CA (and the Bay Area too, really) and don't have at the very least several gallons of drinking water stored away, you're an idiot. Put together an earthquake kit.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Chuu posted:

NPR spent a ton of time this weekend talking about earthquakes, past and future, in California. It looks like the US Geological Survey has the odds of a major earthquake (7.0+) on the San Andreas fault at 72% within the next 30 years.

Any interesting articles about how the state is addressing this?

We replaced the eastern span of the bay bridge with one made of defective parts.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Pellisworth posted:

Well if you have specific questions I work with (but am not myself) some of the very top seismologists and geophysicists in CA and could ask or find you the info.

There was a swarm of mini quakes in the Salton Sea two summers ago and that freaked every one out--it seems like the big question for earthquake scientists is not when but in which direction. The San Andreas is ready to go at any time, if it ruptures North -> South much of the energy is directed into the Salton Sea and it's not so bad (but still pretty bad). If it ruptures South -> North most of the energy will be directed into the LA basin and ricochet around the loose material it's composed of like a bowl of jello.

What I'm saying is if you live in southern CA (and the Bay Area too, really) and don't have at the very least several gallons of drinking water stored away, you're an idiot. Put together an earthquake kit.

Do you have recommendations for storing water long term?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Last I checked, most of LA is in need of retrofitting and not expected to hold up in a 7+ quake.

I could be wrong on that.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

One of the good things that Northern CA has done is LA to task on really stupid behavior. Like for example, the Millennium skyscrapers attempting to be built on rupture zones / faults.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 22, 2015

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I heard something about a bad fault line being discovered in or near Ventura County. Any ideas about how it might impact Oxnard?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

RandomPauI posted:

I heard something about a bad fault line being discovered in or near Ventura County. Any ideas about how it might impact Oxnard?

"LA TImes posted:

"The Ventura fault goes right through downtown Ventura, so … clearly there would be a lot of damage," Jordan said. "But the shaking of an event of this magnitude would affect an area for hundreds of kilometers around it. So it's not just right there in Ventura — it's the whole, effectively, coastal Southern California from Santa Barbara to L.A."

So it'll probably have an incredibly large impact on Oxnard.

Zeitgueist posted:

Last I checked, most of LA is in need of retrofitting and not expected to hold up in a 7+ quake.

I could be wrong on that.

From what I've heard a lot of the single occupancy home and modern high rises are fine, it's the wood framed, multi-unit apartments built over first floor or below ground parking garages that are facing widespread catastrophic risk. Of course there's a billion of those kind of structures across the greater LA region and right now despite some efforts by the city and county there's nothing in place to inspect and retrofit these structures, so a lot of people are going to be hosed if we get a big one.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

If you live in one of these, you're hosed

e: Angels stadium is 50 miles from north ridge and 30 miles from LA.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 22, 2015

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

nm posted:

We replaced the eastern span of the bay bridge with one made of defective parts.

Wait, what?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This is horseshit. There was a problem with some bolts, it was discovered, and it was fixed. The eastern span was completed on budget and on time, and is the safest bridge in the bay area by a lot.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It wasn't all defective parts, and it is still safer than the old bridge was.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

withak posted:

It wasn't all defective parts, and it is still safer than the old bridge was.

Yeah, they just had to add a ton of extra supports but its fine now and was always safer than the old deathtrap.

The real controversy should be the fact Caltrans paid the contractor their full "early completion bonus" even though they hosed up a ton of poo poo to get it done early. Turns out the contract forgot to include a "build it right" clause in the early completion bonus.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah, they just had to add a ton of extra supports but its fine now and was always safer than the old deathtrap.

The real controversy should be the fact Caltrans paid the contractor their full "early completion bonus" even though they hosed up a ton of poo poo to get it done early. Turns out the contract forgot to include a "build it right" clause in the early completion bonus.

This is the real scandal. It's obvious CalTrans allowed substitutions that were intended only to save time and that turned out to be inferior to the specified materials and methods. The GC cut a bunch of corners to finish on time, collected the significant bonuses for that timely completion, and then all of the shortcoming were discovered.

I'm also not at all convinced that they've actually found and/or addressed all of the shortcomings.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They are still working on it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

nm posted:

At least Caltrans officials also had lots of costly trips overseas supervise the whole thing aka find the best chinese hookers in town.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

etalian posted:

At least Caltrans officials also had lots of costly trips overseas supervise the whole thing aka find the best chinese hookers in town.

One of the bigwigs approving okaying dumb, expensive decisions now works for one of the contractors he was approving dumb, expensive decisions of :eng101:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Guess who's sued San Francisco since their pet proposition failed...

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

I'm sure people will be falling over themselves to support loving with a large source of high-quality water (and electricity) during the worst drought ever recorded in CA. And they'll be extra happy to support it when it costs a shitload of money to do. Yep.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rah! posted:

I'm sure people will be falling over themselves to support loving with a large source of high-quality water (and electricity) during the worst drought ever recorded in CA. And they'll be extra happy to support it when it costs a shitload of money to do. Yep.

I seriously want to make "Keep Hetch Hetchy Blue" bumper stickers.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Tim Draper will not be deterred from trying to ~disrupt~ normal governance.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I wish we had a special 100% income and capital gains tax rate just for this guy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rah! posted:

"People" already rejected it. That's why they're now trying to use the courts. But their case is really poor - they're apparently trying to argue that the state, having a responsibility to see to the welfare of the citizens, is obliged to restore the hetch hetchy valley for those citizens. A very good argument against that would be "hey, the citizens had the opportunity to do exactly that, and overwhelmingly rejected it" - strongly implies the citizens have decided their best interests are in the water resource, and not spending billions of dollars to relocate the reservoir downstream.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

ComradeCosmobot posted:

One complete California for each citizen.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

You'd think, if these people really and truly cared about seeing Hetch Hetchy restored, they'd have their finger on the pulse of public opinion and be aware that there is a time and place to make their bid. A historic drought that's been the center of California's news and politics for over a year now is probably the worst goddamn time they could bring up the idea of draining a huge source of clean potable water. The courts are not unsympathetic to this, and I'd be willing to bet the judge picked to hear this case is going to be raising a few eyebrows over the sheer stupidity of the timing.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
So how do people feel about Los Angeles's body camera on police policy? I'm glad it's moving forward, but it seems weird a gently caress that they an officer can watch the footage with a union rep before writing up an incident report. It seems purpose built for enabling post facto justifications.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

it seems weird a gently caress that they an officer can watch the footage with a union rep before writing up an incident report. It seems purpose built for enabling post facto justifications.

Of course it is.

But it's a step in the right direction, and with enough high-profile post facto corruption cases, that aspect will be revised so that it's only moderately hosed up.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

So how do people feel about Los Angeles's body camera on police policy? I'm glad it's moving forward, but it seems weird a gently caress that they an officer can watch the footage with a union rep before writing up an incident report. It seems purpose built for enabling post facto justifications.

"Out of the corner of my eye, I saw someone telling me in sign language that the suspect was armed."

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I'm sure there someone will pass a law forbidding this practice.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The union knows that there will be a learning period where the membership will require reminding that they can't make up whatever poo poo they want any more when writing reports.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I wish we had a special 100% income and capital gains tax rate just for this guy.

Dude bought 20,000 bitcoins at ~$630 each which are now valued at $230, he seems to be taxing himself.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

FCKGW posted:

Dude bought 20,000 bitcoins at ~$630 each which are now valued at $230, he seems to be taxing himself.

Joke's on you. Now he gets to deduct that as a capital loss.

EDIT: Speaking of Tim Draper, there's a new frontrunner for craziest initiative unlikely to make it to the ballot. There's actually a slate of these initiatives, so I don't even know. (Apologies for the dubious quality sources. They're all I could find at the moment.)

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 30, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
How many more water penalties can California place on the public before they snap and go all Baltimore on them?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

How many more water penalties can California place on the public before they snap and go all Baltimore on them?

If you think water restrictions are the biggest way California is loving over poor minorities...you must own a lot of grass.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Trabisnikof posted:

If you think water restrictions are the biggest way California is loving over poor minorities...you must own a lot of grass.

I meant rioting in general jackass.

I just want to glorious revolution to come to this coast. :ussr:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

You started it off with water penalties, how was I supposed to know you really meant systematic racism and police brutality?

And to answer your question, California went all Baltimore before it was cool.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I just want to glorious revolution to come to this coast. :ussr:

The point is that if Californian's aren't rioting over prison conditions, police brutality, homelessness, lack of housing for the poor, etc. etc. they're not going to riot over dead lawns and empty swimming pools.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Leperflesh posted:

The point is that if Californian's aren't rioting over prison conditions, police brutality, homelessness, lack of housing for the poor, etc. etc. they're not going to riot over dead lawns and empty swimming pools.

Water actually affects upper middle white NIMBY fuckheads unlike all of the other listed issues.

Of course what they'll do is just bury their heads in the sand like Orange County is doing by suing the water board to make restrictions illegal.

Let it all turn back to desert and then have them enjoy being called the 21st century's version of Okies.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

jeeves posted:

Water actually affects upper middle white NIMBY fuckheads unlike all of the other listed issues.

Of course what they'll do is just bury their heads in the sand like Orange County is doing by suing the water board to make restrictions illegal.

Let it all turn back to desert and then have them enjoy being called the 21st century's version of Okies.

Upper middle class NIMBY fuckheads do not generally riot. They send sternly-worded letters to newspapers, drive aggressively on the freeway to vent their frustrations, and then (and this is the important bit) show up at city council meetings, planning meetings, etc... and vote. For whoever they think will protect their wealth and privilege the most ruthlessly.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Leperflesh posted:

Maybe not riots, but I'm sure a few upper-middle class students in Santa Cruz will find a way to block a freeway or two over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Trabisnikof posted:

You started it off with water penalties, how was I supposed to know you really meant systematic racism and police brutality?

I don't, you retard. I meant water penalties. Who cares about racism in the 21st century?

Jesus Christ we're pathetic.

China should just come over and walk over us.