Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Pander posted:

It's such an insipid show beyond that though. It was the Leave it to Beaver of the early 90s, "safe family show" for incredibly boring people to enjoy and Bob Saget to pay the bills with.

Oh sure. We all know it's the traditional, wholesome family values that make you squirm and cringe, liberal. Maybe if you went to church once in awhile you'd "get it". :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Anyone remember who made that ironic Benghazi post of either Hillary or Obama listening to the cries of the dying during the attack and then ignored them? It was super exaggerated and perfect because that's what I need right now.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...
Lars Larson literally just said that the protesters in Baltimore are the real racists because black America doesn't protest when white people get killed by cops.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tender Bender posted:

This reminds me of a dream I had where my dog was a conservative talk radio host and I trolled him by calling in and asking if Stefan Urquelle was considered an American citizen.

Anecdotal but when my dog was a puppy she would get really lonely when I left for work, so I would leave the radio on for her. Mostly talk radio since the voices seemed to calm her. After about a week of Limbaugh, Hannity and some local rear end in a top hat she started barking at black people and my Mexican neighbors when we would go for a walk.

So republican dogs do exist.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Pixelboy posted:

Lars Larson literally just said that the protesters in Baltimore are the real racists because black America doesn't protest when white people get killed by cops.

What specific thing are they protesting? (since there is so many different things it could be.)

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Anecdotal but when my dog was a puppy she would get really lonely when I left for work, so I would leave the radio on for her. Mostly talk radio since the voices seemed to calm her. After about a week of Limbaugh, Hannity and some local rear end in a top hat she started barking at black people and my Mexican neighbors when we would go for a walk.

Lol, that's bigger sign that you never bring any people of color around your house. The dog's barking because they don't look like anything they recognize.

naughty_penguin
Oct 9, 2005
Fun Shoe

Modern Day Hercules posted:

Lol, that's bigger sign that you never bring any people of color around your house. The dog's barking because they don't look like anything they recognize.

Haha looks like you're the real racist!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

RareAcumen posted:

Anyone remember who made that ironic Benghazi post of either Hillary or Obama listening to the cries of the dying during the attack and then ignored them? It was super exaggerated and perfect because that's what I need right now.

Is it the one that involves a picture of Obama sipping out of a straw? 'Cos that poo poo is choice.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

naughty_penguin posted:

Haha looks like you're the real racist!

It's the actual explanation, unless you think dogs actually understand the totality of human speech and are capable of forming opinions based on talk radio diatribes.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
My cat read Chomsky and is now a member of the IWA.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
My goldfish was disappointed with Obama's policies and announced it was going to vote for Hillary.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Ralepozozaxe posted:

What specific thing are they protesting? (since there is so many different things it could be.)

Cops arrested Freddie Gray, and within a few hours his back was broken and he was dead.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

Is it the one that involves a picture of Obama sipping out of a straw? 'Cos that poo poo is choice.

No, it's the one where he sits in the white house listening to everyone on headphones [I think] and then turns to an assistant asking for his order to deploy and says 'NO. LET THEM DIE.' Or something along those lines.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Pixelboy posted:

Cops arrested Freddie Gray, and within a few hours his back was broken and he was dead.

The quote I heard tonight was, "He went into that police van able to speak. He came out unable to breathe." Apparently his spine had been severed 80%, just below his skull.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...600b_story.html

quote:

“When he was placed inside that van, he was able to talk, he was upset,” said Deputy Police Commissioner Jerry Rodriguez. “And when Mr. Gray was taken out of the van, he could not talk, he could not breathe.”

http://www.baltimoresun.com/health/bs-hs-gray-injuries-20150420-story.html

quote:

Freddie Gray's spinal injury suggests 'forceful trauma,' doctors say
Freddie Gray in the hospital

Freddie Gray is seen in the hospital after being injured while being detained by Baltimore Police. (Baltimore Sun)
By Scott Dance The Baltimore Sun contact the reporter

Johns Hopkins University Freddie Gray Baltimore Police Department

Freddie Gray's injury was likely the result of “a pretty forceful trauma,” one doctor says.
Spinal injuries around the neck, like Freddie Gray's, are the most serious, doctors say.

Spinal injuries such as those that led to Freddie Gray's death while in police custody require "significant force" akin to the impact from a car accident and can fatally impair the body's ability to regulate blood flow and breathing, according to medical experts.
handout, Baltimore Sun

Deputy Commissioner Jerry Rodriguez said Monday that the 25-year-old Gray died of "a very tragic injury to his spinal cord," the bundle of nerves that carries messages between the brain and the rest of the body. Gray died Sunday, one week after his arrest in West Baltimore.

Details about Gray's injury and what caused it remain unknown. Police did not release results of an autopsy conducted Monday.

Freddie Gray repeatedly asked for medical care, police said Monday

Police Commissioner Anthony W. Batts said investigators were searching for any evidence of abuse by officers or other trauma that might have occurred during a 30-minute ride in a police van. Gray was angry and having difficulty walking when placed in the van and then unable to talk or breathe when he was removed, Rodriguez said.

Gray's family has said he underwent surgery at Maryland Shock Trauma Center for three fractured neck vertebrae and a crushed voice box — injuries doctors said are more common among the elderly or victims of high-speed crashes.

Medical experts said it takes powerful blunt force, and often damage to the vertebrae that surround the spinal cord, to tear or sever it.

"You have to apply a significant amount of force in order to break somebody's neck," said Dr. Ali Bydon, an associate professor of neurosurgery at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.

The spinal cord passes through a series of 33 vertebrae that protect it from trauma, surrounding it with bone. But around the neck, there is less space between the bone and the nerves, said Dr. Steven Newman, a neurologist with William Beaumont Health System in Michigan. That can make it more susceptible to injury, he said.

When the body undergoes trauma such as a car accident, the intense forces on the body can shift the vertebrae out of place. And if they move too far out of alignment with one another, they can tear or sever the spinal cord, Newman said. In many cases, spinal cord tears can cause paralysis even though the vertebral column may bounce back into place undamaged, he said.

In other cases, hyperextension of the neck either forward or backward can cause vertebrae to fracture, crushing the spinal cord.

Bydon cited the case of a 57-year-old Alabama man who was paralyzed in February after being handcuffed and thrown to the ground, suffering a severe neck injury. Handcuffs prevent a person from being able to brace themselves in a fall, placing pressure on the head and neck when they land, he said.

Bydon said spinal cord injuries also could be self-inflicted, including in cases in which the person is under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

While injuries to lower portions of the spinal column can often lead to some degree of paralysis, trauma to the neck can have the most serious consequences, including quadriplegia, the need for a ventilator to breathe, or death as a result of an inability to breathe.

Spinal cord injuries also can lead to what is known as spinal shock, when the nervous system is overcome by the injury and unable to maintain control of blood pressure or oxygenation of vital organs, Bydon said.

If neck trauma tears ligaments that help support the neck, it takes far less force to cause spinal cord damage, he added. But it wouldn't make vertebrae any more susceptible to fracturing.

To break vertebrae, "it's usually got to be a pretty forceful trauma," Newman said.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 22, 2015

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
It's not as if the police have a history of making it hard for black people to breath.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Your Gay Uncle posted:

King of the Hill did this episode better.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Side note, as someone who is actually in the military in an actual combat job, pull-ups don't mean a loving thing. Neither do push-ups, really. Endurance is probably the biggest physical requirement, and that's mostly mental anyway. Gender only matters to the weird dudes who tie being a soldier to being a man and are scared of women outperforming them at "being a man."

My grandpa explained boot camp to me as "exercising the sass out of people". Using physical exertion to push people to their raggedy edge where all the masks dropped away and they both become more honest and more moldable.

The number of pull ups or sit ups or whatever exercise you choose is thus not actually a requirement of military service itself but rather a requirement of pushing people to the point of using willpower to move through pain and inculcating the habit of obedience. From this perspective, there is no reason not to set different thresholds for different gendered soldiers provided both thresholds are above the much lower threshold of what is needed to actually serve. This threshold is much lower today than it was historically due to advances in technology and gets lower and lower over time.

The problem is that part of the traditional way to motivate soldiers to give their all and not hold back in boot is to pretend that the level of physical rigor in boot is necessary in and of itself, not as a tool of mental conditioning. This helps create a "tough love" dynamic where you trust that the people driving you are doing so purely for your own good which enhances chain-of-command thinking.

But if you've just been told that doing X is vitally necessary it makes no logical sense that she only has to do X - 3 ... unless you reveal that all anyone needs to serve is X - 10 anyway. But they can't admit that unless they come up with a radically new way of framing things.

Grandpa was an instructor in the military during WW II though he was overseas so I don't think it was in a boot camp proper, but the assertion makes enough sense that I see no reason to doubt it. I miss him.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

As a liberal, when I saw Stephanie praying to Jesus for Mr. Bear, I cringed with such ferocity that I recoiled out of my chair, and proceeded to vomit all over my living room floor. Never before have I been more offended or disgusted, except maybe for that time when one of the boys dating Bob Saget's daughters showed him respect.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I was literally shaking when they would say "I love you" to each other :mad:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
None of the characters were otherkin or demiromantic and none of my headcanon was ever justified, Full House gave me PTSD.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

So this new IRS "scandal" that Fox is trying to push has got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

The IRS's budget was cut and customer service went down rather than up?? :wth:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It goes against their prime directive of cutting taxes raising revenue. Just replace tax with operating budget, and revenue with capacity to do their job.

Something about the free market not working.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

computer parts posted:

King of the Hill did this episode better.

Lady Bird no!

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Pander posted:

It's such an insipid show beyond that though. It was the Leave it to Beaver of the early 90s, "safe family show" for incredibly boring people to enjoy and Bob Saget to pay the bills with.

Maybe it will be a gritty reboot, and they'll do horrifyingly obscene things, with Bob Saget ending every show saying, "The Aristocrats!"

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Quite literally, a dog whistle.......

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MrUnderbridge posted:

Maybe it will be a gritty reboot, and they'll do horrifyingly obscene things, with Bob Saget ending every show saying, "The Aristocrats!"

God willing Saget will have his best bud Norm drop by for an episode or two.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Help me....I am agreeing with Matt Walsh

quote:

Let's talk about this Mrs. Carly Fiorina individual. She's been getting a lot of attention -- she's the lead story on Drudge and the Daily Beast today -- and has garnered a ton of enthusiasm among conservatives. From what I just read, it sounds like she will be officially announcing her bid for the Republican presidential nomination in a couple of weeks.

I don't think she stands much of a chance, but it is mind boggling that anyone is even considering her and that any Republican feels any enthusiasm for her at all. Actually, it's not mind boggling. I'm used to Republicans being, shall we say, less than brilliant in their political calculations. This is probably the least brilliant I've ever seen them, and that's saying something.

Here's a quick recap of Mrs. Fiorina's resume:

She was CEO of Hewlett-Packard from 1999 to 2005. During that time, the company lost half of its value, thousands of employees were fired, hundreds of jobs were shipped overseas, and Fiorina was finally forced to resign in disgrace, taking a 21 million dollar severance package. She has been consistently rated as one of the worst tech CEOs of all time, and was generally despised by her employees. It's widely considered that, although she ran the company during a difficult economic time, she also helped run it into the ground, and was rewarded with a multi-million dollar payoff.

Then, in 2010 she ran for senate in California and lost.

Now she's going to run for president.

And based on what? Her stellar track record of failure?

This is a wealthy Republican who destroyed a company, shipped jobs to another country, and enriched herself in the process, and still some in the Republican Party think it would be a swell idea to run HER for president? She is literally the personification of a negative Republican stereotype.

Good lord. Republicans never learn. They just never learn.

And, yes, I know she's a woman. But conservatives are supposed to be the ones opposing identity politics, not playing it. Besides, do you think the fact that she's a right wing woman will make her LESS a target? No, the exact opposite. Ask Sarah Palin. Conservative women get it worse, which doesn't mean they shouldn't run for president, it just means a woman with no credentials, no record of success, and a long history of failing spectacularly shouldn't run for president. But then, a man in that camp shouldn't, either.

Seriously, if you tell me you are at all excited by this lady's campaign, I will assume you're insane, stoned, concussed, or lying.

So which is it, Fiorina fans? All four?

Yeah, I think all four.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

He's right, but ironically, he's practically talking about himself there.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Hella low hanging fruit, but yeah he's right. So are the other people with two brain cells to rub against eachother who don't treat it like an epiphany.

Fiorina should just jump that shark and start paying off voters directly. I need money and I'd be perfectly fine endorsing her and no longer talking about how she might be the worst legit candidate for the senate, much less presidency, I've ever seen.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I think she has to run for president. She's failed upwards her whole life. Where else can she go?

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Somewhere on this Earth, Meg From Family Guy is grinning widely...

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I that if instead of being your generic tax-cutting deficit-loving, loot-the-treasury serious business Republican, she jumped on board the crazy train for a theocratic police state with the morality brigades breaking down your door to inspect your sexual partners/positions for godliness, that he'd be in love with her.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shbobdb posted:

I think she has to run for president. She's failed upwards her whole life. Where else can she go?

I can't wait for her to run for UN Secretary-General whenever that comes up for election next.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

I that if instead of being your generic tax-cutting deficit-loving, loot-the-treasury serious business Republican, she jumped on board the crazy train for a theocratic police state with the morality brigades breaking down your door to inspect your sexual partners/positions for godliness, that he'd be in love with her.

Yeah, he calls her a Republican stereotype. WTF is every other GOP candidate then?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Just saw an article posted by a FB friend from the WSJ

http://www.wsj.com/articles/minimum-wage-backfire-1413934569

Which was accompanied by the following comment: "AHAHAHAHHAHHHAHHAHHHHHAA!!"

I am pretty sure they are looking to reduce worker costs because they saw a 30% decrease in quarterly profits, and not because of the non-imminent threat of minimum wage increasing. I can't stand people that find so much comedy in the thought of someone losing their job.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
I'm guessing that they would have done that anyways.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

dougdrums posted:

Considering the minimum wage hasn't been raised, that's a good guess.

edit: I'm not even trying to be snarky. Automation happened without the minimum wage going up, but reading what these idiots have to say you'd swear it was $15 dollars an hour already.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 23, 2015

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

dougdrums posted:

It's either that, or this type of scenario:

"Nice nonlivable wage requiring you to take a second or even third part-time job you have, here. Be a real shame if something were to happen to it."

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.gofundme.com/stophillary

quote:

I’m working on the story of a lifetime: stopping Hillary Clinton from becoming president and need your help.

This is my most audacious project yet but when Barack Obama was re-elected I vowed that I would never allow a modern presidential candidate to run for office without doing everything I could to vet her.

And so for the past three years my team and I have been researching Hillary Clinton and we have a lead on a game-changing story. If we are successful it will change how opposition research is done once and for all. This’ll be our Matt Drudge and Monica Lewinski moment that will hopefully end the Clintons' political aspirations once and for all.

I need $40,000 to hire private eyes, pick up the material, run the requisite stupidly expensive tests, and produce a high production quality video.

Any money leftover (and there shouldn’t be) or raised over the will be used as a fund to induce people in the Clinton world to leak material to us. As there is serious dissension in the Clinton empire, this shouldn’t be too hard to get them to rat on one another. (We are also working at establishing more connection with the hacker Guccifer to see if we obtain some of his materials legally.)

Yes, this is vague (because we don’t want to tip off the Clintons to what we’re up to) and no, it's not illegal. (I checked with five different lawyers.)

Now that’s a lot of money—though not that much when you consider all the money the Romney campaign spent on TV ads that no one saw in the TiVo age—how do you know I’ll put your money to good use?

In the last year my team and I have exposed the name of the woman (Jackie Coakley) who lied about being raped at University of Virginia, debunked the fake Dershowitz rape, sued on my own dime in Missouri court to get the juvenile records of Michael Brown released , named the first woman to get Ebola in the US (Nina Pham ), the Muslim ties of the NYPD cop killer, debunked the NAACP hate crime , the fake Chapel Hill Muslim hate crime, and how the Clinton emails were set up by Justin Cooper—12 hours before the New York Times.

Yes, I’m controversial or provocative and I’ve got my critics on the fringe left and the well fed right but I never stop pursuing the truth. Though I was mocked by other journalists for exposing the corruption of Senator Robert Menendez—the Washington Post falsely accused me of getting the story from Cuban intelligence (seriously)—Menendez is now under indictment thanks, in part, to my investigation. (The last time I crowdfunded on this platform it was the research that ultimately brought him down.)

I also played a unique roll in changing the discourse around the stolen U.S. Senate election in Mississippi by exposing how the GOP establishment rented the Obama machine to get out the vote for Thad Cochran and smeared their Tea Party opponent as a racist Klansman. #RememberMississippi

Video we found helped end the career of Brian Williams by dismantling his reporting on Hurricane Katrina. (Even Gawker gave me credit.) I exposed Elizabeth O’Bagy, the woman who tried to lie us into war. (Even the late not so-great David Carr of the New York Times gave me credit.) We proved that Sony wasn’t hacked by North Korea weeks before everyone else. Even Politico and the New York Times now agree.

I’ve been going after the Clintons for a long time. I was the first journalist to interview the Benghazi filmmaker who was falsely imprisoned, Nakoula Nakoula, and I broke how Anthony Weiner and Clinton aide Huma Abedin had their wedding paid for illegally. (It made Inside Edition).

Here 's a video of me discussing my work on the local news.

Now I’m asking you to help me stop Hillary Clinton.

We’ll release the full results of our investigation the day after Hillary Clinton wins the Democratic nomination for maximum effect.

Conservatives say they want investigations rather than the blather or noise that’s out there.

This is your chance to put your money where your mouth is.

Let’s go get her.

What a loving creepy-rear end weird-o.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
If this person ends up getting like 10,000,000 dollars only to take it all and run, it'll almost make up for that stupid pizza place getting so much money.

Locomotive breath fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 23, 2015