Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Logos on jerseys is amateur poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW
Just let companies name the teams.

Go the Chicago Sears!

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW
After S.D and Oakland moved to L.A. the rivalry has only intensified.

It should be a heated game today between the In-N-Out Burgers and the Five Guys Burgers and Fries

Cuban Chowder Factory
Jun 3, 2002

Henchman of Santa posted:

Soccer is the most popular sport on earth and doesn't have commercials during the game so it makes the most sense there. I would not be shocked if they happened in the NFL but the Premier League isn't a great comparison.

Well, yes and no. I think the advertising boards that line the pitch are what make up for the lack of commercial breaks. Plus you know it's for TV when you see ads on there for betting parlors in Vietnam or Aeroflot or whatever.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I don't understand how Phil would rather move his kids across the country to Tennessee than maybe moving them an hour, hour and a half north to Orange County. If he cared that much he should just Kobe helicopter it, I'm not even sure if it'd be smart or necessary to move.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Its Miller Time posted:

I don't understand how Phil would rather move his kids across the country to Tennessee than maybe moving them an hour, hour and a half north to Orange County. If he cared that much he should just Kobe helicopter it, I'm not even sure if it'd be smart or necessary to move.

Nashville is like two hours away from where he and his wife grew up. He'd love to be back in the South.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Rivers will teach Mett the way of the bolo

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Its Miller Time posted:

Dog, have you been to Orange County?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What's to stop him from just retiring if he doesn't want to move from San Diego? Dude's no spring chicken, and he probably could have gotten by perfectly happy on 25k a year.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Volkerball posted:

What's to stop him from just retiring if he doesn't want to move from San Diego? Dude's no spring chicken, and he probably could have gotten by perfectly happy on 25k a year.

Absolutely nothing.

Here are the possibilities I see:

IF the Chargers announce that they're moving:

1. Rivers plays out the final year of his deal in San Diego. If the team slaps the franchise tag on him (They will), he'll retire. Dude doesn't need the money.

IF the Chargers announce that they're staying beyond 2016:

1. Rivers will sign a long term deal and retire a Charger.
2. Rivers will play under a series of one year deals facilitated by the franchise tag as long as the team remains in San Diego.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Its Miller Time posted:

I think this is like the third time I've said this but my interpretation of his comments are that if he has to move his family at all then he's looking at every option available and making sure he's moving somewhere he wants to be. So if Tennessee or Jacksonville or whatever sounds better to him than LA he's moving there, since he has to move anyways.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
So is the Raiders' new stadium going to be in San Marcos or New Braunfels?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Frackie Robinson posted:

So is the Raiders' new stadium going to be in San Marcos or New Braunfels?

Inglewood

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Glass of Milk posted:

One of the SD Councilpeople (whose district Qualcomm is in) released a mocked up new stadium shot:

This is so ludicrous. Just look at what that area looks like right now. They're going to remove all of the parking in a part of town already known for it's terrible parking? And they're probably not going to upgrade the trolleys or increase parking capacity at the trolley stops, so it's not like mass transit is going to help with that. You need to maintain that stupidly large parking lot in order to maintain your crowds. Meanwhile it looks like they have a ~100+ ft wide walkway between that stupid sundial and the stadium to help ease congestion for all of the fans leaving games early in the third quarter. The unusable greenspace that will be dry and brown for the majority of the year is the icing on the cake.

The saddest thing is that they're going to get rid of the huge circular ramps at Qualcomm. Those were arguably the best part about going to games there.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why the Chargers are handling this so much differently that the Padres. You would think that every major sports team in the country would look at how the Padres were able to swing PetCo without pissing anyone off as a guideline for upgrades.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Its Miller Time posted:

I wouldn't want my kids to grow up Californians either :v:

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I looked up what the current franchise tag for a QB is - $18.5M. I was going to say is it even worth it to franchise him and then looked at his 2013-2014 season stats.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Zurreco posted:

This is so ludicrous.

To be fair, this is just come councilmember's mocked up shot. The actual stadium advisory folks aren't going to do one, but they did say this one was much more dense than their plan, so we'll see in May or whatever.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
cum councilmember

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Zurreco posted:

This is so ludicrous. Just look at what that area looks like right now. They're going to remove all of the parking in a part of town already known for it's terrible parking? And they're probably not going to upgrade the trolleys or increase parking capacity at the trolley stops, so it's not like mass transit is going to help with that. You need to maintain that stupidly large parking lot in order to maintain your crowds. Meanwhile it looks like they have a ~100+ ft wide walkway between that stupid sundial and the stadium to help ease congestion for all of the fans leaving games early in the third quarter. The unusable greenspace that will be dry and brown for the majority of the year is the icing on the cake.

The saddest thing is that they're going to get rid of the huge circular ramps at Qualcomm. Those were arguably the best part about going to games there.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why the Chargers are handling this so much differently that the Padres. You would think that every major sports team in the country would look at how the Padres were able to swing PetCo without pissing anyone off as a guideline for upgrades.

As if the NFL has to sink to the level of appeasing the filthy peasants that will be paying for the billionaire's new stadium.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
So we can get moved to a new stadium and get Phillip Rivers out of football? go on

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

SA2K posted:

Teams that will be more popular than the LA Chargers: Raiders, Rams, USC, UCLA, Mater Dei
Don't forget Galaxy.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Chichevache posted:

Living in San Bernardino County now: dude in the apartment next to mine goes out to water the sidewalk every day. :psyduck::ca:
Watering sidewalks is not a SoCal phenomenon, I remember churches watering the sidewalk in Texas back when Perry was going on TV praying for rain.

I can't say poo poo, I'm in Dixie where we have had lot of rain over the past few days.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Carson city council approved the stadium idea 3-0

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chris James 2 posted:

Carson city council approved the stadium idea 3-0

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
LOL they had to give numbers for 40 loving years to make the provable financial gain for the city seem significant

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Carson is not going to happen. AEG is going to dive bomb everything.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

SA2K posted:

Carson is not going to happen. AEG is going to dive bomb everything.

Inglewood got approved 2 months ago and the Rams guy already owns the land, and it's closer to airport and the Metro and an larger planned development

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Zeitgueist posted:

Inglewood got approved 2 months ago and the Rams guy already owns the land, and it's closer to airport and the Metro and an larger planned development

So is the LA Rams a done deal at this point, and we're just waiting around for the stadium to be built?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Zeitgueist posted:

Inglewood isn't Carson. Carson has the AEG StubHub center. There is no way that AEG isn't going to put up a fight if the nfl comes in and tries to build a stadium right in their backyard after all the failed AEG attempts to build an NFL Stadium

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

So is the LA Rams a done deal at this point, and we're just waiting around for the stadium to be built?

Pretty much. There's still the matter of actually filing for relocation, working out a deal on where to play in the interim, the relocation fee, getting owner approval, etc

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Chilichimp posted:

No, just a more likely one IMO. Nobody is committed, the Carson stadium can still hapen.

SA2K posted:

Inglewood isn't Carson. Carson has the AEG StubHub center. There is no way that AEG isn't going to put up a fight if the nfl comes in and tries to build a stadium right in their backyard after all the failed AEG attempts to build an NFL Stadium

They half-heartedly have tried to scuttle this poo poo but I don't think they have that kind of pull anymore.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Zeitgueist posted:

No, just a more likely one IMO. Nobody is committed, the Carson stadium can still hapen.

They half-heartedly have tried to scuttle this poo poo but I don't think they have that kind of pull anymore.

You could be right, I'm just hoping you aren't. The more wrenches that get thrown into Carson, the more likely the Chargers stay.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Fwiw Telesco and the Chargers FO is still sticking to the "We want Rivers to stay forever" line so who knows

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Fwiw Telesco and the Chargers FO is still sticking to the "We want Rivers to stay forever" line so who knows

This whole thing has been a giant smokescreen and was never going to happen

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

SA2K posted:

This whole thing has been a giant smokescreen and was never going to happen

That's how I feel about it. I don't trust any loving story that comes out of nowhere a few weeks before the draft, and giving up on a middle aged great QB is just insanity.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
If Rivers was like 38 I'd buy it but yeah I agree.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Kalli posted:

That's how I feel about it. I don't trust any loving story that comes out of nowhere a few weeks before the draft, and giving up on a middle aged great QB is just insanity.

It came from Rivers saying he didn't want to sign an extension right now, and it morphed into something else. The Chargers aren't going to let him go, and will franchise him next year if need be.

For comparison sake, Eli doesn't have a contract after this season either and there are crickets concerning his future in New York

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Chilichimp posted:

St. Louis is ramping up like mad to keep the Rams, but it's hard to say if Kroenke has already made up his mind about LA. It would seem so, but part of that is how attractive it's going to be if he has to shell out a chunk of cash to the Chargers (and potentially the Raiders)

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Glass of Milk posted:

St. Louis is ramping up like mad to keep the Rams, but it's hard to say if Kroenke has already made up his mind about LA. It would seem so, but part of that is how attractive it's going to be if he has to shell out a chunk of cash to the Chargers (and potentially the Raiders)

I just hope St Louis can break ground on a brand new publicly financed stadium before the Rams leave :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I've been hearing all over local radio and such that San Diego State is already working behind the scenes to partner with an MLS team to build a 30-35k seat stadium on the SDSU campus in the event that the Chargers leave.

That's certainly a thing.

• Locked thread