Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That would be pretty great. If we manage to popularize tracker blockers and noscript well enough seeing javascript and trackers fall out of use would be even more delightful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol moral quandary

you served a site to the public. i'll use whatever frankenstein browser combination i want, and if it fouls your ad revenues, that's your problem

welcome to the web
it's not particularly friendly to your revenue model
cope, or get the gently caress out

I wonder if billboard advertisers get as pissed when a car passenger is reading a book as Internet advertisers do about adblocking.

and I bet there was much whining when ir tv remotes with mute, channel, and power buttons started becoming standard

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

:qq: T-T-T-TIMESHIFTINGGGGG

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
calling pagancow we need pagancow on the scene of this thread stat

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

please no

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
youtube update: now they have decided that i want to see some #gamergate dude's videos. i saw some video in the related videos of several other (non-gaming related) videos i was watching. i clicked it just to see what the hell it was. it was some rant about some article on some gaming website. i clicked thumbs down and closed the tab.

now youtube is showing me several of the dude's videos in the related videos section. :owned:

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

annapacketstormaya posted:

calling pagancow we need pagancow on the scene of this thread stat

yeah, 45 all caps angry contrived posts no one will read and some worn out meme gifs sure sounds good about now

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

LastInLine posted:

it legit bothers me how often i agree with posts by The Management and its purely due to the username

I registered this account intending to do a whole gimmick but never followed through. bad posting is my only gimmick now.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol moral quandary

you served a site to the public. i'll use whatever frankenstein browser combination i want, and if it fouls your ad revenues, that's your problem

welcome to the web
it's not particularly friendly to your revenue model
cope, or get the gently caress out

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

I hope adblocking gets even more popular so every site on the Internet is forced to have a paywall.

me too, then poo poo like buzzfeed and its million idiot cousins will immediately die

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'm fine with other people viewing ads and subsidizing my ad-free viewing

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

except it's going to turn into free-2-view websites where the first half of the listicle is free and you only need to PAY 0.005 BUZZCOINS TO CONTINUE!

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: BUZZFEED SUPPORTER GOLD STAR ULTIMATE USER
CLICK HERE TO TELL YOUR FRIENDS!! [BUZZFEED INSIDERS] [FACEBOOK] [TWITTER] AND GET 0.0001 BUZZCOINS

DON'T BE OUT OF THE LOOP, TOP UP YOUR BUZZCOINS!
1 BUZZCOIN ($400) BEST DEAL!!!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

only with vr headsets you can't remove until the ads are finished

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Wheany posted:

youtube update: now they have decided that i want to see some #gamergate dude's videos. i saw some video in the related videos of several other (non-gaming related) videos i was watching. i clicked it just to see what the hell it was. it was some rant about some article on some gaming website. i clicked thumbs down and closed the tab.

now youtube is showing me several of the dude's videos in the related videos section. :owned:

lol look at this guy visiting youtube while logged in

e: its not like the annoyance settings (autoplay on, annotations on) actually follow your account so why bother logging in

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 22, 2015

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

only with vr headsets you can't remove until the ads are finished

enter the 4 digit code we randomly embedded in the audio track of this video

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

except it's going to turn into free-2-view websites where the first half of the listicle is free and you only need to PAY 0.005 BUZZCOINS TO CONTINUE!

people have been predicting this for literally 20 years. (of course, most of them were breathlessly exclaiming how GOOD it was going to be and huffing their own farts.)

fortunately, it will never, ever happen. it flies in the face of everything we know about human nature. when you get down to prices under a dollar, the effort of deciding whether to pay for something costs as much as actually paying for it. micropayments are a total non-starter because 99.9% of customers will just say flat, no, not even going to think about it.

if you charge on an article-by-article basis, you will find your content is not valuable enough for people to invest the time in debating whether to pay for it

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

true eg i hardly ever buy paid apps, even if theyre just a dollar

meanwhile i never put much thought into the cost of menu items when eating out

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

plus you get the effect of someone hating an article/thinking it's too short/etc and being pissed they spent money on it but then seeing a good article and not thinking "hey that was totally worth 8 cents"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

apps are where small amount nuts of money make sense tho, because you actually get to keep something, unlike an article

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

theflyingexecutive posted:

apps are where small amount nuts of money make sense tho, because you actually get to keep something, unlike an article

you don't keep the information or analysis you read in a good article?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The Management posted:

you don't keep the information or analysis you read in a good article?

not with this crippling benzo addiction

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

theflyingexecutive posted:

plus you get the effect of someone hating an article/thinking it's too short/etc and being pissed they spent money on it but then seeing a good article and not thinking "hey that was totally worth 8 cents"

if only there was a curation mechanism for articles to make them mostly good, a sort of compendium of writings.

magazines used to do this. today, the people I follow on Twitter do.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

people have been predicting this for literally 20 years. (of course, most of them were breathlessly exclaiming how GOOD it was going to be and huffing their own farts.)

fortunately, it will never, ever happen. it flies in the face of everything we know about human nature. when you get down to prices under a dollar, the effort of deciding whether to pay for something costs as much as actually paying for it. micropayments are a total non-starter because 99.9% of customers will just say flat, no, not even going to think about it.

if you charge on an article-by-article basis, you will find your content is not valuable enough for people to invest the time in debating whether to pay for it

i just love the articles about it

(from 1998)

" Some analysts say that users don't want to be "nickeled and dimed" while they are online. In fact, the problem is being dimed; not being nickeled. Unfortunately, some sites that currently charge for content do so at a level of a dollar or more per page. Such pricing is obviously unpleasant and will only be acceptable for highly value-added content that users can predict in advance that they will benefit significantly from buying. Regular articles (like this column) cannot be that expensive.

Long-distance telephone calls and electricity are both metered services. Many people do feel a tension while they are on the phone, at least while making an international or other expensive call. At the same time, very few people worry about powering a lightbulb, even though doing so costs a few cents per hour. Electricity charges mainly serve to make people turn off the lights when they go to bed. The difference is clearly in the level of pricing:

less than a cent per minute and people use as much as they need (electricity)
10 cents per minute, and people ration their usage a little (long distance phone calls)
40 cents per minute, and people ration their usage a lot (international calls) "

" On the Web, users should not worry about a cent per page. If a page is not worth a cent, then you should not download it in the first place. Even as the Web grows in importance in the future, most people will probably access less than 100 non-free pages per day (in June 1998, heavy users visited an average of 46 pages per day). Most users will have $10-$30 in monthly service charges for Web content.

During working hours, it is easy to calculate the value of a user's time. If we assume that various overhead costs are about the same as a person's salary, then somebody making $35,000 per year costs their company a cent per second. In other words, every time you access a Web page, it costs your company ten cents just for having you sit and wait while it downloads (assuming that the page design obeys the 10-second response time limit). Add time to actually read the page, and we are looking at a cost of 25 cents to a dollar every time an employee accesses a Web page (with proportionally larger costs for highly-paid staff). In this context, paying a cent (or a few cents) for the content is nothing if it ensures higher-quality pages.

Simply waiting for a typical banner ad to download costs about 3 cents in lost employee time, so that could be a possible value of ad-free pages. Of course, much Web access occurs during off-duty hours where people's time is harder to value. But if people value their free time at a third of their working time, then even leisure browsers should be willing to pay a cent to avoid an ad. "

" Even if authors and search engines do link to a subscription site, users will never go there because the cost of signing up for a subscription and the time needed to do so cannot be justified for the sake of a single desired page. Thus, the site never gets visited by the user; it also never gets the chance to prove its value to that user and convert him or her into a loyal, repeat visitor.

In contrast, charging a micro-fee will not prevent links. Presumably, there will be a way for reputable search engines to spider a micro-charging site for free since most sites want to be found. A human author would not be deterred from linking to a fee-based page: if you don't think that a page would be worth a few cents to your readers, then you should not recommend it in the first place. "

"It is likely that there will be mechanisms for pre-paid links. If, for example, a movie site wanted to refer users to a particularly favorable review on a certain newspaper's site, then it could use a special, digitally signed, link that would authorize the newspaper to charge the micro-fee to the movie site and not to the user. Users would thus be encouraged to follow the link and read the favorable review. "

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

bitches get ~tsundere~ when I pull out my katana

Progressive JPEG posted:

this has more to do w/ the fact that people still dont like to pay for digital goods

would you pay for a digital dinner? didnt think so

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

On the Web, users should not worry about a cent per page. If a page is not worth a cent, then you should not download it in the first place.

somebody in the '90s thought users would have a conscious choice about downloading web pages, you won't believe what happened next

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Wheany posted:

somehow i get recommendations for greek soap operas every other video :shepface:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Wheany posted:

i watched a steven universe video and now the exact same video is recommended after every single video i view

i mean it was good but theres limits

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants posted:

lol if you sign in to watch youtube

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

i just sign into chrome with my goog account and it keeps everything else signed in

theres one feature i really want in youtube and that is the ability to search through my video history, its still not possible and i dont know who to shout at it to make it happen

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I just sign into my browser made by an advertising company

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I just sign into my browser made by an advertising company

when i sign into any chrome browser on any machine, it remembers the plguins i have installed and automatically downloads and runs adblock

why are you so afraid of ads?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Valeyard posted:

i just sign into chrome with my goog account and it keeps everything else signed in

theres one feature i really want in youtube and that is the ability to search through my video history, its still not possible and i dont know who to shout at it to make it happen

this and more robust searching in general. the goog is literally *the* search company and youtube's search is garbage

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Valeyard posted:

when i sign into any chrome browser on any machine, it remembers the plguins i have installed and automatically downloads and runs adblock

why are you so afraid of ads?

I just sign into a browser made by an advertising company on any machine

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Necc0 posted:

this and more robust searching in general. the goog is literally *the* search company and youtube's search is garbage

sarch in google prodiucts that isn't their main search box tends to be terrible

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
gmail search is insanely ownage in my xp

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

A Pinball Wizard posted:

i watched a steven universe video and now the exact same video is recommended after every single video i view

i mean it was good but theres limits

finish watching fartzmaster part 6, recommended videos: fartzmaster part 5, fartzmaster part 4, fartzmaster part 2 , some angry gamergate dude

also the annotation and autoplay setting have actually worked for me lately, which is really surprising

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Cocoa Crispies posted:

sarch in google prodiucts that isn't their main search box tends to be terrible

yeah, youtube search refuses to remember any filters, google search remembers filters just fine.

and some times i think youtube search returns videos where some of the search terms appeared in the related videos or something. not the actual video though.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
remember when related videos meant videos related to what you were watching

and now it just sprinkles in videos related to anything you've ever watched

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I just sign into a browser made by an advertising company on any machine

google owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Wheany posted:

finish watching fartzmaster part 1, recommended videos: fartzmaster part 5, fartsmaester part 1, fartzmaster part 7 , some angry gamergate dude

fixt

• Locked thread