Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's kind of funny that in the absence of Sharpshooters the current best strategy for handling Scrakes and Fleshpounds is to get an idiot with a hammer to run up to them and parry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

closeted republican posted:

Forcing you to pick between tactical reload and improved single-fire damage is BS, though. :argh:
Pick tac reload and then full-auto/burst damage instead cause semi can suck my dick from the back

Shima Honnou posted:

The police constable actually has a fair amount of KF1 lines, which is why I'm playing as him specifically.
Unfortunately my favourite KF1 line appears to have not made it into KF1: "Oi, where's my benefits check?"

Skoll posted:

So I noticed Insult Players is gone. Can we get it back? Pretty please?
You muppet

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Stormgale posted:

Parrying damage reduction is based on weapon size now like blocking from what I remember hearing.

I want to say it's something like 30% for a knife, 50% for a melee main weapon, and 70% for a parry?

E. First two values are for normal blocking

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 22, 2015

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
2015, a brand new age of killing floor.

And pubbies still don't heal themselves, even when they are on half life with no armour versus the boss, the more things change the more they stay the same it seems :v:

Also the Doctor keeps holding me in gas clouds whilst he drains my life because he is an rear end in a top hat.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I await the day people learn NOT to bunch up right at the start of the boss fight.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

is it time for a new patch/new content yet

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

make each medic gun have different colored lights on it, thanks

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Skoll posted:

I don't quite think you understand the Commando class.

edit: Read this : http://kf-wiki.com/wiki/Commando It's for KF 1 but generally does apply here since all the principles are the same except for levelling.

:words: with little meaning is that dude's MO, you get used to it.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

LuciferMorningstar posted:

I'm not really seeing any huge issues here, so feel free to point out the specifics that you think I'm missing. As the page points out, Commando benefits from large magazines and a fast reload, so those seem like the obvious and no-brainer perk choices. Nor does it answer the question of why Commando gets health buffs that, as far as I'm concerned, constitute a durability buff.

You seemed to be describing the Sharpshooter from KF 1 is all. A lot of KF vets will tell you that the Commando has no place in "high level" play because it was pretty much useless compared to anything else you could take into Suicidal or Hell on Earth. They were also quite squishy as a result of not being able to take anything higher than a Husk solo on anything over Hard. That should explain their buffed health and damage bonuses because it looks like TWI is trying to make them a viable "end game" class.

Unfortunately though one thing that really made the Commando great was lowered recoil as you leveled and that seems to have been removed. A lot of the Commando perk combinations don't seem to make sense with what they're paired with for you to pick from and the Nightvision that Beserker and Commando have access to is pretty much useless. If they're going to do extremely dark maps like they used to, something like Nightvision should be an all inclusive thing instead of just limited to two classes that have no real use for them.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Add new cosmetics to keep us entertained until the next cosmetic patch.

aka the TF2 Effect

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Skoll posted:

You seemed to be describing the Sharpshooter from KF 1 is all. A lot of KF vets will tell you that the Commando has no place in "high level" play because it was pretty much useless compared to anything else you could take into Suicidal or Hell on Earth. They were also quite squishy as a result of not being able to take anything higher than a Husk solo on anything over Hard. That should explain their buffed health and damage bonuses because it looks like TWI is trying to make them a viable "end game" class.

Unfortunately though one thing that really made the Commando great was lowered recoil as you leveled and that seems to have been removed. A lot of the Commando perk combinations don't seem to make sense with what they're paired with for you to pick from and the Nightvision that Beserker and Commando have access to is pretty much useless. If they're going to do extremely dark maps like they used to, something like Nightvision should be an all inclusive thing instead of just limited to two classes that have no real use for them.

Okay, this makes sense, so thanks for elaborating. I guess Commando is then intended to be able to shift between constantly being on the front lines and sniping from a distance, without dominating either role as well as another perk could? And that perhaps the perks could use some adjusting?

Geight posted:

:words: with little meaning is that dude's MO, you get used to it.

I'm really sorry you struggle with basic reading comprehension. Would you prefer simple pictures in the future?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

If it saves us all from having to scroll past another one of your massive posts then yes, by all means!

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Okay, this makes sense, so thanks for elaborating. I guess Commando is then intended to be able to shift between constantly being on the front lines and sniping from a distance, without dominating either role as well as another perk could? And that perhaps the perks could use some adjusting?

Commando ( and Firebug ) is the Trash Clearer in Chief. Commando keeps everyone else clear so they can deal with Scrakes and Fleshpounds.

Also, just an update, the Goon Floor 2 server is now switched to Hard. Have at 'em!

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Want to try something fun? Start up a solo game on HoE with your low level perks and just try to survive.

They never stop sprinting. They're like a horde from Left 4 Dead. :stonk:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I want to like Berserker more than I actually do. In theory I'm all about running around and parrying and chopping down enemies in melee, but I haven't been able to find the right groove for it. I'm not as good at swinging for the head as I'd like to be and I haven't totally wrapped my mind around the parry/block mechanic yet. I probably just have to play with it some more until I get a hang of the playstyle, or maybe the other melee perk will end up being more my speed.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Skoll posted:

The weird thing about Commando night vision is that the SCAR has a flashlight so it needs NVGs a lot less than other classes. At least once they fix the SCAR's flashlight which I'm assuming they will given that it's modelled onto the gun.

Still going to take NVGs though because gently caress y'all more stalker kills for me :unsmigghh:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

The Bloat is horrifying on HoE, the fat guy charge into a spray of bile that takes off like 70 hp all on its own is the stuff of nightmares.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Opposing Farce posted:

I want to like Berserker more than I actually do. In theory I'm all about running around and parrying and chopping down enemies in melee, but I haven't been able to find the right groove for it. I'm not as good at swinging for the head as I'd like to be and I haven't totally wrapped my mind around the parry/block mechanic yet. I probably just have to play with it some more until I get a hang of the playstyle, or maybe the other melee perk will end up being more my speed.

Heh, I'm going through the same thing at the moment. The Zerk's new weapons scream "pure offense" to me, which makes it hard for me to mentally get used to blocking instead of just wailing on everything with the shovel or Pulverizer until they all die.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Fina posted:

Want to try something fun? Start up a solo game on HoE with your low level perks and just try to survive.

They never stop sprinting. They're like a horde from Left 4 Dead. :stonk:

This is what is going to keep the fame interesting through all the EA progression wipes.

Level 0 HoE runs if you ain't a bitch

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
There should really be an ingame option for turning up the body count, because going from 15 to 50 makes a world of a difference.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Join ~Goon Floor 2~ if you wanna beat Hard nerds

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is this playable and worth the list price despite the stink of Early Access? My friends are hyped now and I have to capitalize on that before it fades.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Shumagorath posted:

Is this playable and worth the list price despite the stink of Early Access? My friends are hyped now and I have to capitalize on that before it fades.

yes

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running
Just had Hans turn around to face me, parried his attack and blew his head clean off with my shotgun Sledgehammer in slow-mo. 10/10 GOTY :getin:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is the Flamethrower good? I buy games based on how well they do napalm.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Shumagorath posted:

Calling this Early Access is almost a disservice to Tripwire, considering how most EA stuff ends up being barely-functional tech demos. The only thing this lacks is content-completeness, and unlike other EA stuff, there's really no reason to believe Tripwire will screw up on delivering the content. Everything else seems pretty sound.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

Is the Flamethrower good? I buy games based on how well they do napalm.

The flamethrower is really cool and eventually there will be other-flame based weapons and a perk (class) that excels in using them.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Calling this Early Access is almost a disservice to Tripwire, considering how most EA stuff ends up being barely-functional tech demos. The only thing this lacks is content-completeness, and unlike other EA stuff, there's really no reason to believe Tripwire will screw up on delivering the content. Everything else seems pretty sound.

Put it this way, this is a Kerbals Space Program, not a DayZ

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Shumagorath posted:

The list price is steep for what's actually in the game right now in terms of raw content, but what's in there is very playable, polished and complete. The Steam page is pretty upfront about Tripwire's approach to Early Access and it seems like the limited selection of content is a "we want to polish, playtest, and balance a couple of things at a time" decision rather than a "this is the only stuff we've built and we're just throwing it out because we want to have something up" one.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Lemon Curdistan posted:

But the Schofield is top-break rather than having a fixed cylinder. I want the fixed cylinder. :(

Yeah, but zed time reloading a Schofield would be awesome. Gun tips open, spent casings fly out everywhere, awww yeah.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
If anyone's curious: previously it was mentioned that the Nailgun counts towards shotgun damage for Support XP for some reason. I just tested it and it totally doesn't. Having some cross-perk weapons would be really nice, though, because out of the four perks I currently only have points in Support and Field Medic.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the flamethrower owns bones but there's pretty much zero reason to use it right now because you don't get any xp. I feel like for the sake of EA it should reward XP to whatever perk you're using.

year199X fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 22, 2015

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Epsilon Plus posted:

If anyone's curious: previously it was mentioned that the Nailgun counts towards shotgun damage for Support XP for some reason. I just tested it and it totally doesn't. Having some cross-perk weapons would be really nice, though, because out of the four perks I currently only have points in Support and Field Medic.

Also, it has innate penetration. I haven't seen any sign of support increasing that. It is a good weapon and all, but I don't think it gains any benefit from support passives. No clue if medic shotgun does either, though that would of course be easier to test.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Just in case people haven't read the SEA.

tripwire SEA posted:

And a warning: it is almost certain that we will wipe all statistics, including Perk leveling and Achievements one or more times during Early Access!”

Edit: Might actually want to throw that in the op so people don't get mad when it happens down the line.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

That's gonna hurt but oh well, maybe they'll do an XP event or something afterwards.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 31, 2022

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
A little off-topic but what the stigma to EA games? I don't think I've ever bought a game during it's EA cycle before KF2. Is it just a matter of a lot of games paying for extraordinary buggy betas and/or never leaving beta?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

splifyphus posted:

It's really easy to not have to do the early levels just by taking some backup non-perk weapons on your main. I have support at lvl 2 without even touching it yet, just from welding doors and taking the hunting shotty as a backup weapon.
Yeah, fair enough. I should start taking the hunting shotgun instead of the medic one as my "gently caress!" backup that I use it for on later waves.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Require More Fire posted:

A little off-topic but what the stigma to EA games? I don't think I've ever bought a game during it's EA cycle before KF2. Is it just a matter of a lot of games paying for extraordinary buggy betas and/or never leaving beta?

Answered your own question. Or some games being outright vaporware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
UDK is just like riding a bike.