Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

WayAbvPar posted:

Still 60k left to grind on my 13 90 :negative:

I am 20K from the Lorraine still and then have to grind a whole 200K again :(

Really not a bad thing the 13 90 is the bees knees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You know, I'd pay like double premium for an account that wouldn't ever see anyone below, let's be generous, a 48% winrate in my matches.

The top 5 people on one of my teams this morning had a peak WR of 43%, 3 were bots.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

WGNA posted:

Implemented separation of new and experienced players in battles (for tier I–III vehicles)

Hahahaha! Riiiiiight! Older is the word. It sure as gently caress ain't experienced.

SpiDeR
Apr 30, 2002

Crystalline is fine too
Awww... it was *THE* way I blew off steam... so disappoint.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Valle posted:

Hahahaha! Riiiiiight! Older is the word. It sure as gently caress ain't experienced.

The only real problem I have with this is if I decide to not free xp to like tier 5 in any new line. Queues will take forever

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Azhais posted:

The only real problem I have with this is if I decide to not free xp to like tier 5 in any new line. Queues will take forever

That's true, but free xping from tier 1 to 4 is like, 5,000 xp anyways so gently caress it.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

It will be fun to platoon at low levels and ruin the stats of all the seal clubbing shitheads though.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
I see a new revenue stream. $15 monthly to not have to play against artillery.

By god my winrate would be 85%.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
What's the expected XP requirement for the AMX 30 Proto....~190K like the the Lorraine?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Now to learn about the most anticipated tank in the new patch. That's the Somua, right?

SOMUA S35

After WWI, the French army began the process of mechanization. This process also touched cavalry, a mobile strike force. In the early 1930s, the cavalrymen formulated requirements for a tank designed to work with a mobile mechanized unit. SOMUA, a subsidiary of Schneider, was tasked with the design.

The contract for a tank with no less than 40 mm of armour and a speed of no less than 30 kph was signed in October of 1934. SOMUA's engineers needed only 7 months to finish the first prototype. In April, the tank was ready. It was possible to develop the tank in such a short time due to the use of foreign experience. The engineers that developed the suspension and transmission spent some time at the Czech Skoda company. As a result, these components were very similar to the fairly good vz. 35 tank. The engine and gearbox were also Czech-inspired.

The speed and range of the tank satisfied the cavalrymen, but much work had to be done to correct defects. The cavalry was in desperate need of new tanks and made an order without waiting for the improvements. Due to this rush, the S35 had problems with reliability, and poor placement of internal modules created problems for repair crews. It took another two years to polish off the tank. The cavalrymen, satisfied, officially adopted the S35 and made large orders to equip cavalry units.

The tank was mobile, had good armour (up to 36 mm in the front hull and 56 in the turret) and was equipped with a powerful 47 mm gun, making it one of the best vehicles of its time, not just in France, but in the world. However, it had a serious drawback. A one-man turret forced the commander to serve as the gunner and the loader. In theory, after the S35 received a larger turret, the radio operator could assist him, but in battle this was rarely possible.

In Spring of 1939, the French composed some requirements for the modernization of the SOMUA S35. The improved tank would receive a more powerful engine (220 hp instead of 190), and an improved suspension. The biggest improvement would be a new turret. Instead of a cast and riveted design, this one would use welded rolled armour. The new tank, indexed SOMUA S40, was supposed to enter production in October of 1940, but the war in Europe forced the process to speed up. Production began in July of 1940, but not soon enough, as France entered the war in May of 1940.

The first major tank battle of WWII was the battle at the Belgian town of Hannut, which began on May 12th, 1940. The SOMUA S35 tanks that took part caused the Germans a lot of grief.

Near Crehen, West of Hannut, an S35 unit knocked out 4 German tanks and a battery of AT guns. Another unit, among other German vehicles, destroyed the tank in which Colonel Eberbach was riding near Tisnes. The Colonel survived, but the attack was called off. In the evening, the Germans attempted to strike again, but a counterattack of SOMUA tanks forced them to roll back. The S35s returned with 20-40 dents from 20 and 37 mm guns, but without a single penetration. The local success was evident, but poor performance elsewhere on the front lines forced the French to fall back.

SOMUA S35 tanks were used throughout the French campaign. In general, they were successful locally, but failed to compensate for larger scale failures.

After Franch surrendered, some S35s ended up in German hands. The tank was modified with a two-person turret and an improved radio. This modification received the index Pz.Kpfw. S35 739 (f). These tanks fought on several fronts, including the Eastern. Here, a few of them were responsible for the rumours that the Germans actively used tanks against the Brest fortress.

When Germany invaded the USSR on June 22nd, 1941, the Brest fortress was one of the first to come under attack. Most tank forces bypassed the fortress, which was a task for infantry, artillery, and other forces. In order to storm the fortress faster, the Germans demounted three SOMUA S35 tanks from armoured train #28. All three were destroyed by grenades and AA gun fire at the north gates.

The captured French tanks were used in battle in Finland, Norway, and in the Arctic. In 1944, some SOMUA tanks once again fought under a French banner to liberate their homeland. This is where the combat path of one of Frances's best tanks ended. Later, the engineers that built the S35 formed the backbone of the team that revived tank design in France.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
I love the necessary Soviet Victory over Fascists in that French Tank piece.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ensign Expendable posted:

Now to learn about the most anticipated tank in the new patch. That's the Somua, right?

Unironically this.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

rex rabidorum vires posted:

What's the expected XP requirement for the AMX 30 Proto....~190K like the the Lorraine?

I thought I read it was like 230k

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

I think it is like 192k.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

WayAbvPar posted:

I think it is like 192k.

192k of a good time.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Azhais posted:

edit: by god they're removing seal clubbing in 1-3

Thank God I aced every tank from tier 1-3 already. :shepicide:

You can probably thank [CIA] for this. They're the guys in the triple T-127 platoon with >60% win rates in the T-127 and <45% overall.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

McGavin posted:

You can probably thank [CIA] for this. They're the guys in the triple T-127 platoon with >60% win rates in the T-127 and <45% overall.

The amount of CIA T-127\LTP platoons I've had to murder in the Cruiser 4 is shocking. They are bad, but it's a more fun to kill bad compared to theGetting to do that more often now sounds good. Hopefully they'll also get more appropriate maps for the lower tiers as well instead of three of the most imbalanced maps in the game, one actually good map in Himmelsdorf, and the joke map Mittengard.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Atomizer posted:

You ended up bottom-tier, which is the worst-case scenario. Also, your sample size of one game is insignificant. In that instance, you could've hit the more heavily-armored higher-tier tanks for small amounts of damage, which isn't ideal but keep in mind you would've struggled to penetrate them anyway with the 37 mm. Against softer targets the 75 mm HE shells fully penetrate, doing significant damage for the tier. If you got one-shotted then you were too close to the enemy and/or out in the open. The advantage of having 20° of depression is that you can go hull-down; you hide your hull behind a hill with only the turret poking over, making you a tiny target. The howitzer has enough ammo and fire rate to be able to lob shots at moderate distances; you don't really have to be concerned about missing at this point.

For the most part, don't use HE. Obviously since we're talking about a 75 mm howitzer then HE is appropriate (and also a few HEAT shells would be worthwhile if you could afford it at this point.) Generally, you only use HE on guns that are "big" for the tier; look at the penetration and/or damage values. In the case of the M2 MT you have the option of 37 mm guns and a much larger 75 mm howitzer; consequently that tells you that the howitzer is appropriate using HE (also, it doesn't even get AP.) For comparison, take a look at tier 6 heavy tanks. There are many guns available, but the KV-2 in particular gets a massive 152 mm howitzer; it has very-high-damage HE shells that also have decent penetration. It also gets AP shells that do less damage with more pen, however their penetration is not remarkable for the tier; you would use the HE shells primarily, with some of the [gold] AP shells to use against certain targets (specifically, targets where 86 mm might not pen but 136 mm will.)

Also, there's a 105 mm howitzer available on multiple middle-tier vehicles of multiple nationalities. (US, German, and a French vehicle specifically, and then the Soviets get a 122 mm U-11 counterpart and the Brits have a comparable 3.7" howitzer.) It's an acceptable choice in tier 5 where it's common, as an alternative to the gun options on the appropriate tanks (see: M4 Sherman, Pz4H.) It's also very effective on some tier 4 TDs, e.g. Hetzer, T40, where the targets are even softer. It's even available on the tier 3 T82 where it demolishes almost everything you'll see, although it's nerfed via aim time, reload, and shell count.

HE usage comes with experience; if you play on the NA servers hit us up in the goons channel (look for me, and let me know if your IGN is different from your forum name.)

The Birch Gun is similar to the SU-26 in that they both have turrets but are tragically made useless by undersized guns.

Understood. What got me was I had held back of the lines on a crappy map (not much cover for me) and we were by the time I got a target outnumbered 2:1. I'm not sure what killed me but it was beyond my line of sight. Going to try again with the 75 and see if the magic happens.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

TRIVIA TIME!

Is this the pubbie who I:

a.) insulted
b.) teamkilled
c.) warpack'd
d.) called out for using HE
e.) berated for failtooning
f.) all of the above

ANSWER:
g.) I have no loving clue.

Seriously, what did I do this time? This just came out of the blue. As far as I can tell, it has nothing to do with any matches I had today, including the "Dr. Nameless Theory of Derp is Better Than Laughter" match I played in my KV2. Does he, in fact, know that my ign is literally "Nameless?" Or does he think that AMERICAN NAMES shouldn't have "ye"s and "z"s? Please help me, I'm waiting to see how it plays out. I'll check back tomorrow, now I have to get my beauty sleep :sparkles:

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 23, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Named after an SS general too! Charming sort.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I just read your name as Byzantine and call it a day.

Just saw a guy with 81 hours in the E25. I can respect that.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 23, 2015

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
What the hell are these stats? http://www.wotstats.org/stats/eu/dyaebl/

What dumbfounds me is that he's able to even play Arty at a constant purple level. I'd love to know the secret of bending all the RNG to your favour.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Blindeye posted:

Understood. What got me was I had held back of the lines on a crappy map (not much cover for me) and we were by the time I got a target outnumbered 2:1. I'm not sure what killed me but it was beyond my line of sight. Going to try again with the 75 and see if the magic happens.

Okay, changing my tune a bit, in certain maps the 75 is just amusing as hell to one-shot lower tiered annoyances. It's making me want to switch my t-46 over to the L-10 76mm again....

I did unlock the T-28 though, and the one game I've played in it was pretty smooth sailing, though I'm still wondering how to kit it out, and, for that matter, what perks I should give my crew when they hit 100%....

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Early on, you're going to be upgrading tanks (and therefore retraining crews) so often that it'll take relatively forever to get the first skill to 100%, and so a lot of skills won't be active for the immediate future.

With that said, Repairs is the safest possible choice for a skill choice. It's useful on drat near any sort of vehicle, available to every crewman, and it's always active, even at less than 100%, just at reduced effectiveness.

e: As far as the T28 itself goes,the 57mms are the best option. If you're asking about equipment (rammer, binocs, etc.) then I wouldn't worry about the "permanent" gear until either you have gold to demount the gear, or you're making enough cash to be able to replace them semi-regularly. In the meantime, a toolkit, binocs and camo can be shuffled around as needed among your tanks.

e2: I'm curious, are there any good 76mm soviet guns?

Steelion fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 23, 2015

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Blindeye posted:

I did unlock the T-28 though, and the one game I've played in it was pretty smooth sailing, though I'm still wondering how to kit it out, and, for that matter, what perks I should give my crew when they hit 100%....

It gets a kickass 57mm. You most likely won't reach 100% on it, but if you do, go repairs.

The T-28 is a really soft tank but it gets a good gun and is pretty speedy for its size. When you upgrade to the KV-1, it's a whole new town.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Blindeye posted:

Okay, changing my tune a bit, in certain maps the 75 is just amusing as hell to one-shot lower tiered annoyances. It's making me want to switch my t-46 over to the L-10 76mm again....

Which server(s) do you play on, and if the answer to that is US/NA, then what's your IGN?

The T-46's 76 is very similar to the US 75 mm howitzer, although the former has slightly worse HE & HEAT in exchange for a usable AP shell. Also the T-46 is a little more mobile but loses most of that gun depression.

For the T-28 use the 57 mm ZiS-4. Never buy equipment at full price, and with that in mind you could use any of: Vents, Binocs, Camo Net, Rammer, eGLD. The first 3 items are the cheap option, especially since you can get a mod that auto-mounts/dismounts the Binocs, Toolbox, and Camo Net. Rammer + eGLD are a more common "standard" setup, but they're quite expensive (especially the eGLD) for you as a new player, even at half off. Also they're expensive for a tier 4 that you're just going to grind through; if you keep the T-28 in your garage like I do (because it's a solid tier 4) then you can be more concerned about permanent equipment for it. Otherwise, it will cost you gold to dismount most equipment.

As far as skills go, since you should be moving that crew up the line typical medium tank skills are camo and/or repairs (you'll want both when you eventually get to the T-54 in particular), and for individual skills your choices include:
Commander: Sixth Sense, Mentor;
Gunner: Deadeye, Snap Shot;
Driver: Smooth Ride, Clutch Braking;
Radioman: nothing;
Loader: Safe Stowage, Adrenaline Rush, Intuition
That's not a firm, recommended list of skills for that tank, rather it's what I would narrow it down to as there are several useless skills. For my Commanders, in general I start with Mentor, then retrain to Sixth Sense. The Radiomen exclusively learn Camo and/or Repairs (depending on the tank) because their unique skills are garbage; fortunately dedicated Radiomen are usually dropped from higher-tiers, and their responsibility usually goes to the Commander. The Loader usually starts with Camo/Repairs and then is retrained to Safe Stowage; those other two skills can be useful where both Camo and Repairs are not. For the Gunner & Driver, I either start with their unique skills or Repair/Camo, depending on the tank.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
T-28 is the heavy line, don't go camo.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

McGavin posted:

Ruining some seal clubber's platoon in a FCM36 or SU-85b is the best. Doesnt work every map, but I caught a platoon in the open on sand river in my su-85b and apparently they had never run into that judging by the angry post game messages.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

SpiDeR posted:

Awww... it was *THE* way I blew off steam... so disappoint.
I really enjoy picking on Tier III-IV tanks with my Churchill III (since I don't have amazing crews I run a gimmicky repair build with repair skill, large+small repair kits, repair box, which seems to be the equivalent of a D&D troll chasing around a newbie dwarf who's only wielding an axe..) Also, T1 Heavy. I never really enjoyed super-low tier games, though.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Missing Name posted:

TRIVIA TIME!

Is this the pubbie who I:

a.) insulted
b.) teamkilled
c.) warpack'd
d.) called out for using HE
e.) berated for failtooning
f.) all of the above

ANSWER:
g.) I have no loving clue.

Seriously, what did I do this time? This just came out of the blue. As far as I can tell, it has nothing to do with any matches I had today, including the "Dr. Nameless Theory of Derp is Better Than Laughter" match I played in my KV2. Does he, in fact, know that my ign is literally "Nameless?" Or does he think that AMERICAN NAMES shouldn't have "ye"s and "z"s? Please help me, I'm waiting to see how it plays out. I'll check back tomorrow, now I have to get my beauty sleep :sparkles:

As an inbred coward human being, I find this post insulting.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Atomizer posted:

How is it a worse version of the gun? Looks like it has 0.1 sec higher aim time but almost 20% higher RoF. Are the soft stats, bloom, etc. that much worse than on the loving Cent 7? :stare:

If they aren't I'd be shocked if they aren't - I don't know them exactly. The accuracy seems to be much lower. You don't have nearly as good a chassis or turret as on the Cent 7. Aim time, bloom, what have you, all feel worse. I remember the Cent 7 mounting a laser gun, the L7 on the Charioteer is not as precise.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The new team battles might be quite good. I like the 7v7 format and I do a lot better in it then random pubbie matches. We should get a 2PAC team on the go.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

AlmightyPants posted:

If they aren't I'd be shocked if they aren't - I don't know them exactly. The accuracy seems to be much lower. You don't have nearly as good a chassis or turret as on the Cent 7. Aim time, bloom, what have you, all feel worse. I remember the Cent 7 mounting a laser gun, the L7 on the Charioteer is not as precise.

The Aim Time and Accuracy are worse on the Charioteer (2.4s vs 2.3 and 0.32m vs 0.35m) but the fact on you get 5 degrees of gun depression vs 10 degress on the Cent 7 is pretty big.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.
The server's down for the patch, and I'm awake. If you crave entertainment like I do, this might satisfy you Southern boys:

http://www.movoto.com/blog/opinions/louisiana-taste-test/

And my favorite post from Reddit:

Dude. Eggs, bacon, a bowl of grits with a little ham and gravy, two beignets, and a cup of coffee is the greatest thing you can eat for breakfast. Ever. I love waffles and pancakes and biscuits 'n gravy, but the first one tops them all. I can eat that massive breakfast and be satisfied until dinner.

I bet some of those people in the video eat poo poo like granola bars or protein shakes for breakfast. OH LOOK AT YOU WITH YOUR CLEAR ARTERIES. YOU THINK YOU'RE BETTER THAN ME JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE HEALTHIER AND MORE ATTRACTIVE AND WILL PROBABLY LIVE LONGER!?

Except for that fat dude. I think I'm a more attractive fat dude than he is. And possibly healthier. So 1 out of 8 ain't bad. SUCK IT, CALIFORNIA!

I'm tired.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
No patch for EU before the 28th. I'm okay with that, I don't want a 3x crew exp without my mods.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

No surprise there, they'll postpone it until after the Grand Finals.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Steelion posted:

e2: I'm curious, are there any good 76mm soviet guns?
The 76 mm that's just garbage on the T-34 is actually pretty good on the A-43. It gets a pretty massive RoF boost and better handling too. It's pretty much on par with the Easy 8's M1A2.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

McGavin posted:

Everytime I come across [CIA] in their T-127's I see like one good player (Blue/Purple) and two bad players (Orange/Red) so I've never had a problem with them. Then again, I always pack like 12 APCR rounds in my Pz38(t) with three crew skills so....yeah... :haw:

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Atomizer posted:

Which server(s) do you play on, and if the answer to that is US/NA, then what's your IGN?

The T-46's 76 is very similar to the US 75 mm howitzer, although the former has slightly worse HE & HEAT in exchange for a usable AP shell. Also the T-46 is a little more mobile but loses most of that gun depression.

For the T-28 use the 57 mm ZiS-4. Never buy equipment at full price, and with that in mind you could use any of: Vents, Binocs, Camo Net, Rammer, eGLD. The first 3 items are the cheap option, especially since you can get a mod that auto-mounts/dismounts the Binocs, Toolbox, and Camo Net. Rammer + eGLD are a more common "standard" setup, but they're quite expensive (especially the eGLD) for you as a new player, even at half off. Also they're expensive for a tier 4 that you're just going to grind through; if you keep the T-28 in your garage like I do (because it's a solid tier 4) then you can be more concerned about permanent equipment for it. Otherwise, it will cost you gold to dismount most equipment.

As far as skills go, since you should be moving that crew up the line typical medium tank skills are camo and/or repairs (you'll want both when you eventually get to the T-54 in particular), and for individual skills your choices include:
Commander: Sixth Sense, Mentor;
Gunner: Deadeye, Snap Shot;
Driver: Smooth Ride, Clutch Braking;
Radioman: nothing;
Loader: Safe Stowage, Adrenaline Rush, Intuition
That's not a firm, recommended list of skills for that tank, rather it's what I would narrow it down to as there are several useless skills. For my Commanders, in general I start with Mentor, then retrain to Sixth Sense. The Radiomen exclusively learn Camo and/or Repairs (depending on the tank) because their unique skills are garbage; fortunately dedicated Radiomen are usually dropped from higher-tiers, and their responsibility usually goes to the Commander. The Loader usually starts with Camo/Repairs and then is retrained to Safe Stowage; those other two skills can be useful where both Camo and Repairs are not. For the Gunner & Driver, I either start with their unique skills or Repair/Camo, depending on the tank.

Thanks! I didn't realize until I saw my stats how much better I have done in the t-46 's the American mediums (60% wins vs 45%). I think for that reason I'll keep the t-46 and t-28 because they are pretty fun, but I am getting rid of my T2/M2 the second I can because they're rubbish tanks, though the M2 "shines" in maps with lots of cover against lighter armor as I now realize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The 30B gets worse HEAT than the Leopard? So much for Obus G.