Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I think that means you're mispronouncing "taco"

I think you're messing up my reference to the burrito monad tutorial :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

MononcQc posted:

Wasn't that an "ironic" tutorial meant to show how dumb tortured-metaphor monad tutorials are or was there a serious one?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

MononcQc posted:

MonadQc

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

VikingofRock posted:

Wasn't that an "ironic" tutorial meant to show how dumb tortured-metaphor monad tutorials are or was there a serious one?

the former

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Awia posted:

ahhhh i have a interview tomrrow in c#
i assume theyre just gonna ask questions like, "whats oop? whats an interface? whats this keyword mean"
but ive got a coding demo too and thats the scary part

tell tehm about monads

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

fritz posted:

tell tehm about monads

tell them about bitcoin

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Awia posted:

ahhhh i have a interview tomrrow in c#
i assume theyre just gonna ask questions like, "whats oop? whats an interface? whats this keyword mean"
but ive got a coding demo too and thats the scary part

man if you figure out what coding is pls come back and let me know

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Soricidus posted:

tell them about bitcoin

tell them about the rabbitmqs

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Barnyard Protein posted:

what is the terrible programmers thread's opinion on clojure? i really like the idea: a lisp! on the JVM! woo!

but in practice it seems that clojure is constrained by the imperative nature of Java APIs to the point that it doesn't really make sense to use it

like if you want to write in a file, in common lisp you'd do something like this

code:
(with-open-file (stream "file.txt" :direction :output)
  (format stream "HELLO~%"))
where as in clojure you'd need to create additional state to accomplish the same thing

code:
(def stream (java.io.PrintWriter. "file.txt"))
(.println "HELLO")
(.close stream)
i must be missing something, maybe i should finish that clojure book

hey after further reflection you should check out with-open and spit / slurp

those look very needs-suiting for your case

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Dessert Rose posted:

hey after further reflection you should check out with-open and spit / slurp

those look very needs-suiting for your case

holy crap, yes. thanks. i need to just read through the whole clojure.core namespace

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i was feeling so smug last week after i was able to write a tool someone asked for in less than an hour, where it would have taken the better part of a day in pure java. but then i couldn't figure out some deployment problem with leiningen and had to do it in java anyways :(

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I used monads today, I think. a db I used returned a java CheckedFuture, so instead of actually doing async programming, I just chained together my futures with functions and everything worked!!

immediately thereafter, I owned my own db client by blocking on all of its callback threads

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hopefully printing a string to a file didnt take you a whole hour

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
nah the file stuff was only slightly more complicated, its just using a yaml file as a data model to process freemarker templates. that task is as simple in clojure as it is in java. but its a part of a netbeans plugin project, the real time savings came from not having to start/stop a netbeans instance while testing its interaction with the poorly documented APIs that are a part of this particular netbeans platform.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Share Bear posted:

if i want to host a static site what is the cheapest thing that's a cloud service thinger

assume i have the domain already

heroku is basically free

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Soricidus posted:

tell them about bitcoin

is Bitcoin a monad?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

eschaton posted:

is Bitcoin a monad?

yes, because it defines ways to put value in and transform it, but it's very difficult to get anything out again

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Soricidus posted:

yes, because it defines ways to put value in and transform it, but it's very difficult to get anything out again

:thurman:

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

Soricidus posted:

lol

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Soricidus posted:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Soricidus posted:

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Soricidus posted:

👍🏼

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Soricidus posted:

drat yo

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Soricidus posted:

:eyepop:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Soricidus posted:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Soricidus posted:

ahah

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Soricidus posted:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

emptyquote

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
dear terrible programmers thread: i want to write an IRC client (and then server) using either haskell or F# just for the hell of it/to put on my github

i'm very experienced with haskell, and not at all with f#. there's a strong possibility that if i do it in f# i'd just get frustrated with the syntax and quit.

idk any strong reasons to do it in one or the other? surely there's more haskell jobs than f# ones?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

gonadic io posted:

dear terrible programmers thread: i want to write an IRC client (and then server) using either haskell or F# just for the hell of it/to put on my github

i'm very experienced with haskell, and not at all with f#. there's a strong possibility that if i do it in f# i'd just get frustrated with the syntax and quit.

idk any strong reasons to do it in one or the other? surely there's more haskell jobs than f# ones?

1 is greater than 0 i guess

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i bet you could convince more employers to let you use F# than would let you use Haskell. like Scala on the JVM, you can say "but boss it's still the same reliable .NET platform, just a more modern language!" and if he searches for F# he won't find a bunch of impenetrable articles on category theory

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
maybe i should write a coffeescript like thing that lets me use f# with haskell's syntax. i hear that designing your own language is the best method of job security!

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

gonadic io posted:

if you do please support tls because apparently that's not a trivial and obvious feature to have in a haskell irc library

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

gonadic io posted:

Just write it in whatever language seems more fun to use. Also link it here when you are done; it sounds awesome.

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
Rigging elections since '87.
dear terrible programmers:

i am a current planger who writes php and javascript and python all day for his job and desperately wants to get a job writing good software instead of bullshit. however i have no professional experience with real languages. i'm smart, i even understand monads (let me know if you need me to explain them with a metaphor). any suggestions?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
just start applying for jobs that use non-bullshit stacks

it's not like no java shop will ever look at you because you do python

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
mostly I would not consider a resume that had only plangs

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
there goes my dream of working for shaggar :(

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I might overlook it for experience in the industry and certain related technology, but if ur like a regular old programmer im gonna go w/ the people who know java and c# already before you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
kewl

• Locked thread