Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
As a TMO customer, I was pretty interested in Fi. But the data price makes it a no-go unfortunately. I used 35 gigs in February, and 37 in March. So I'll keep my grandfathered unlimited plan, obviously. I am the outlier.

Coverage improvement would have been nice. Oh well. Looks great for a lot of people though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

FistEnergy posted:

As a TMO customer, I was pretty interested in Fi. But the data price makes it a no-go unfortunately. I used 35 gigs in February, and 37 in March. So I'll keep my grandfathered unlimited plan, obviously. I am the outlier.

Holey moley, you'd be paying about $1,000 per month in Canada.

pandaK posted:

Should I be worried if my note 4 only seems to be able to properly focus when taking a picture after I give it a good whack to the side? no matter what I do, it never seems to auto focus correctly on the first try.

While that sounds like a feature Samsung would add, yes that is a concern.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

pandaK posted:

Should I be worried if my note 4 only seems to be able to properly focus when taking a picture after I give it a good whack to the side? no matter what I do, it never seems to auto focus correctly on the first try.

Mine does the exact same thing. I thought it was something hosed up with the stabilization, since that seems like the only thing that would react to a good knock.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

pandaK posted:

Yeah man. I hope you don't work for anything tech related or basically anything that requires thought.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I just got a survey from Rewards asking what year it was and when I pressed 2015 immediately it chastised me for answering too fast and told me to try again. What the hell google.

Also, you can disable the resizing in Touchwiz. Go to the Multi window settings in System Settings and uncheck "Pop-up view shortcut".
Google just paid me $.24 for answering that there are 7 continents in the world.

:google:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Those are bot checks.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Those are bot checks.
Regardless, its still weird.

Also, I need to find something to spend this $6 Ive accumulated from surveys before they start expiring.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

ilkhan posted:

Google just paid me $.24 for answering that there are 7 continents in the world.

:google:

I got that one wrong haha. It said "you answered that very quickly, are you sure? and I said yes.

The last one was all about video games, took about two minutes, and didn't give me any money. What the gently caress

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
I accidentally misclicked a bot check, the number of surveys has taken a big dive. Sure, it may be confirmation bias, but I used to have at least one a week and I haven't had one in 2 weeks.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm getting more than ever. Every time I visit a mall or retail area it lists about six stores and wants to know which ones I went in.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

PinnacleOrBust posted:

I accidentally misclicked a bot check, the number of surveys has taken a big dive. Sure, it may be confirmation bias, but I used to have at least one a week and I haven't had one in 2 weeks.

Mine took huge dive after I answered "What are you craving most right now?" with "COCAINE". It was a couple months before I saw another, although that might be because I'm outside the US and never seem to get that many in the first place.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Reverse Centaur posted:

I'm getting more than ever. Every time I visit a mall or retail area it lists about six stores and wants to know which ones I went in.
Does that to me too.
I keep answering "none of the above" and getting (slightly) paid for it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
With no change in my routine, I am suddenly receiving a survey every couple days. Closer and closer to that $7.89 mark!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
The Goon darling 2014 Moto X is $249 shipped on eBay (good seller):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191553354967

Unlocked 32 gig AT&T version. Swappa is upwards of $360, so this is a solid deal. Used it looks like, but it's $249.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've made over $20 on surveys. I'd say like 60% of them are of this type:

Reverse Centaur posted:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

hotsauce posted:

The Goon darling 2014 Moto X is $249 shipped on eBay (good seller):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191553354967

Unlocked 32 gig AT&T version. Swappa is upwards of $360, so this is a solid deal. Used it looks like, but it's $249.

According to the description, this is 16gb AND 32gb and has a 4.7" screen AND a 5.2" screen. Despite all that, against my better judgement, I bought it anyway. :negative:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'd rather pay the extra $5 to Cricket to get AT&T service than to be stuck with Sprint and T-Mobile though. Plus you get an extra 1.5 gb.

I've been with T-Mobile for like 7 years or something and am a pretty happy customer.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

According to the description, this is 16gb AND 32gb and has a 4.7" screen AND a 5.2" screen. Despite all that, against my better judgement, I bought it anyway. :negative:

Yeah, also says "unlocked bootloader for easy" then it just stops. Cliffhanger.

But it's ebay. Buyers always win. Just angrily open a case if they give you guff. You will always win as ebay sides with buyers 99.9% of the time. I have stopped selling there because of this. People make up poo poo like no other and you are just forced to deal with it and take the item back.

If it's really 32 it's a great deal.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Reverse Centaur posted:

I get a lot of these, but it always asks me 4-10 days after the fact. Like "Which date did you last visit Home Depot?" and then it gives a list of days. WTF, Google, I don't remember whether it was Tuesday night or Wednesday night of last week that I went to Home Depot.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Thermopyle posted:

Those are bot checks.

What in the hell is the point of bot checking something that sends a survey every couple days at max and pays out cents at a time? I don't doubt that's what they're doing, but it doesn't make much sense.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

What in the hell is the point of bot checking something that sends a survey every couple days at max and pays out cents at a time? I don't doubt that's what they're doing, but it doesn't make much sense.

Because they want truthful answers, and bots can't answer truthfully.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
OK, personal peeve here, but is there some way I can adjust media volume without having to either start playing media or going all the way into the settings? I'm using Lollipop.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I've made over $20 on surveys. I'd say like 60% of them are of this type:

I work beside a mall. I love it. I agree though. Sometimes it'll ask when I went to Walmart and I have no loving clue if it was Monday or Tuesday. I actually messaged my wife in the middle of a survey to make sure I wasn't lying.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

ilkhan posted:

Regardless, its still weird.

Also, I need to find something to spend this $6 Ive accumulated from surveys before they start expiring.

Hearthstone card packs.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Because they want truthful answers, and bots can't answer truthfully.

What in trying to say is that I think botters have bigger fish to fry. I can't imagine bots being that big an issue here.

EAB
Jan 18, 2011

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

OK, personal peeve here, but is there some way I can adjust media volume without having to either start playing media or going all the way into the settings? I'm using Lollipop.

This bothers me as well so much ever since going from samsung phones to stock android phones.

Thats one thing samsung did right.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

What in trying to say is that I think botters have bigger fish to fry. I can't imagine bots being that big an issue here.

That's the whole point of botting, you aren't personally hitting up poo poo for pennies at a time.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

So I'm hoping someone here can help me with a little android -related problem. I bought a Galaxy S5 about a week ago and have been very happy with it, until I installed a software update yesterday. Now I get a popup saying "unfortunately, the process android.phone.com has stopped working" literally every 10 loving seconds. This is truly unfortunate, since my phone is now practically useless; I can't make a call because it will be disconnected within seconds, and anything else I might use the phone for will be interrupted constantly.

Of course, there's no option to roll back the update (not that I've found at least). I've found a program called Odin, which supposedly can be used to reinstall updates and mess around inside your phone, but I'm having problems finding a reliable place where I download the update files . Of course, software updates for smart phones are not available on samsung's own web sites, because people are supposed to throw away smart phones, not fix them I guess.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Panniculus Rift posted:

So I'm hoping someone here can help me with a little android -related problem. I bought a Galaxy S5 about a week ago and have been very happy with it, until I installed a software update yesterday. Now I get a popup saying "unfortunately, the process android.phone.com has stopped working" literally every 10 loving seconds. This is truly unfortunate, since my phone is now practically useless; I can't make a call because it will be disconnected within seconds, and anything else I might use the phone for will be interrupted constantly.

Of course, there's no option to roll back the update (not that I've found at least). I've found a program called Odin, which supposedly can be used to reinstall updates and mess around inside your phone, but I'm having problems finding a reliable place where I download the update files . Of course, software updates for smart phones are not available on samsung's own web sites, because people are supposed to throw away smart phones, not fix them I guess.

Find your carrier's firmware on Sam Mobile. It's the only semi reputable place for it.

I'd force a factory reset from the recovery screen before doing that though, turn the phone off and hold Volume up + home + power then cycle through to Wipe/factory reset phone and hit the power key to okay it.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Google Fi seems like nothing impressive from a European point of view - it's not even unlimited data.

Anyway, I think there's a separate thread for US carrier discussion...

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Mnemosyne posted:

I get a lot of these, but it always asks me 4-10 days after the fact. Like "Which date did you last visit Home Depot?" and then it gives a list of days. WTF, Google, I don't remember whether it was Tuesday night or Wednesday night of last week that I went to Home Depot.

When I can't remember which day I went where, I typically look into my Google Location History to figure out which day Google thinks I went to the business in question.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I synced my contacts with skype and facebook, and now I'm running into a problem where deleting a contact just results in a message saying "cannot delete following contacts". How do I delete contacts? I've tried turning syncing off and deleting, but no luck.

On a related note, while googling this issue, I stumbled upon some people claiming that Lollipop stores contacts on the user's gmail account instead of the sim card. Is this true? I have a dumbphone I use for festivals and camping trips, so it's kind of important that my contacts are saved onto the sim card as well.

This is on a new Sony Z3 Compact.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wooger posted:

Google Fi seems like nothing impressive from a European point of view - it's not even unlimited data.
Yeah I can't imagine this ever making it outside of the US with that kind of price model. It'd have to be an order of magnitude cheaper to be at all interesting in the UK, for example, where I pay £15 for unlimited calls/texts/LTE and free roaming in the US and half of Europe. It'd have to be like £2/GB here.

Anyway, a phone question:

I need to find two decent Android phones for £150-£200 each. Could go to £250 for the right device. The Moto G (2014) is £150 and seems like the obvious choice but I'm slightly concerned about the 8GB of storage. What is the situation with SD cards on Android these days, can you install apps to them? I haven't owned an SD card phone sicne the HTC Desire so I've lost track of how these work.

The Moto X (2013) is pretty hard to find now and I'm not sure I want to recommend a two year old phone that is probably already towards the end of its update life anyway.
Moto X (2014) is too expensive.
N5 would be a good choice but still goes for ~£290 which seems a bit much for what it is.
Z3C is also ~£290.
OPO fits the price but, well, it's the OPO, I can't really bring myself to recommend it to someone.
All other phones are either expensive, garbage, or both.

Everything else I looked at is £300+. There seems to be a big gap in the market right now in the £200-250 price range. Anyone have any other suggestions? Is there a UK release date and/price for that Asus Zenphone thing they have been waving around at recent trade shows?

Also I'm not interested in second hand devices, they need to have full warranties.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Yeah I can't imagine this ever making it outside of the US with that kind of price model. It'd have to be an order of magnitude cheaper to be at all interesting in the UK, for example, where I pay £15 for unlimited calls/texts/LTE and free roaming in the US and half of Europe. It'd have to be like £2/GB here.

Anyway, a phone question:

I need to find two decent Android phones for £150-£200 each. Could go to £250 for the right device. The Moto G (2014) is £150 and seems like the obvious choice but I'm slightly concerned about the 8GB of storage. What is the situation with SD cards on Android these days, can you install apps to them? I haven't owned an SD card phone sicne the HTC Desire so I've lost track of how these work.

The Moto X (2013) is pretty hard to find now and I'm not sure I want to recommend a two year old phone that is probably already towards the end of its update life anyway.
Moto X (2014) is too expensive.
N5 would be a good choice but still goes for ~£290 which seems a bit much for what it is.
Z3C is also ~£290.
OPO fits the price but, well, it's the OPO, I can't really bring myself to recommend it to someone.
All other phones are either expensive, garbage, or both.

Everything else I looked at is £300+. There seems to be a big gap in the market right now in the £200-250 price range. Anyone have any other suggestions? Is there a UK release date and/price for that Asus Zenphone thing they have been waving around at recent trade shows?

Also I'm not interested in second hand devices, they need to have full warranties.

The Moto G is your only acceptable option and you'll be dealing with 8GB and no LTE.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Panniculus Rift posted:

Oh hey, same problem my friend had, but he had it back on KitKat.

Have you checked if there are more updates available? Which version are you currently on?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

The Moto G is your only acceptable option and you'll be dealing with 8GB and no LTE.
The LTE ("4G") version is available in the UK:
http://www.motorola.co.uk/consumers/moto-g-gen2-gb/Moto-G-4G-%282nd-Gen.%29/motorola-g-gb-pdp.html
Also we have ubiquitous HSPA+ here which is plenty good enough anyway.

So my only concern is the 8GB. If apps can be installed to the SD card then this becomes a non-issue. Neither of them are heavy app/media users but I would like to know that the option is there. Reddit suggests that this feature is built-in so I think this will be fine.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

The LTE ("4G") version is available in the UK:
http://www.motorola.co.uk/consumers/moto-g-gen2-gb/Moto-G-4G-%282nd-Gen.%29/motorola-g-gb-pdp.html
Also we have ubiquitous HSPA+ here which is plenty good enough anyway.

So my only concern is the 8GB. If apps can be installed to the SD card then this becomes a non-issue. Neither of them are heavy app/media users but I would like to know that the option is there. Reddit suggests that this feature is built-in so I think this will be fine.
If you can do it, it's because Motorola added it back in.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I know you mentioned the Moto x, but they are so so cheap on ebay (uk) at the moment. Almost cheap enough if they need replacing in a year it would still be worth it

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Skarsnik posted:

I know you mentioned the Moto x, but they are so so cheap on ebay (uk) at the moment. Almost cheap enough if they need replacing in a year it would still be worth it
New with warranty? Got an example? Will check properly when I'm not on my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Phone posting too but about 130 quid new, loads of em