Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

POst more weubwub!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Some commentators may advise against making any major medium/long term investment in China at all.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Well, there are certain segments of the population that will survive the coming crisis.

here's my soundcloud, if you interested http://soundcloud.com/jqam

this guy's better than me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDTsCTLkZzc

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

bad day posted:

Well, there are certain segments of the population that will survive the coming crisis.

I'm gay.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The only recommendation I would make for LOOOONg term investments is penis enhancement surhery.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

bad day posted:

It looks like a video game. Beat is a bit slow to dance to though

Dr. Snuggles
Dec 3, 2012

Tbh some of us (Pick) use this website more than others and I feel that I am unfairly subsidizing picks posting. Unless some kind of fee by post usage is enabled were basically instituting a forced welfare state of posting.

bad day posted:

You made Taylor Swift sound like a man.

This is a thing in China?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

bad day posted:

People pay money for this? You know money can buy lots of other things too right?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Please add this to the ever-growing list of "Things I Do Not Understand"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I'm just about to go buttblast the toilet with a big type 6 fartpoop.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Hey man, everyone has different taste in music.

I exclusively listen to Taiwanese rap, JPop, and Space Jam mashups:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko4k_Ya4n6w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6jbMdWaeXY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1UuEHmxG0U

I also like Anime and/or Children's Show Theme Song & rap mashups:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AWBf0hbeMU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj-M9pvQSyo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Good news, everyone. It was more of a type 4.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

lol if you're poop doesn't transform

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Arglebargle III posted:

lol if you're poop doesn't transform

Mods, please probate or ban this poster. We don't want people to think it's OK to come into this thread and crap it up with a lack of capitalization and grammar.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

bad day posted:

For example I already have a guy lined up to teach this device in our first "guest lecturer" series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAeybdD5UoQ

Hit me up when he's around, that guy has been awesome for a while. (you should have linked this one instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unx9er0sG6o

If anyone has any connections for jobs in Shanghai, my deal fell through recently so I'm trying to find a new spot as soon as I can. Would appreciate any leads. Linguistics major, 5+ years of experience in ESL and 3 years in event promotion/marketing. My main problem is I'm pretty stubborn on Shanghai.

aeglus fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 22, 2015

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

Mods, please probate or ban this poster. We don't want people to think it's OK to come into this thread and crap it up with a lack of capitalization and grammar.

you don't have platinum loool

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

goldboilermark posted:

you don't have platinum loool

autistics have platinum

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Aferisan posted:

You made Taylor Swift sound like a man.

Wow you noticed! I love you. The whole point was to make her sound like a tranny, but make the song sound cool.

quote:

This is a thing in China?

No, not yet..

China is ~10 years behind in terms of music production technology. Which is pretty hosed up because all of the hardware is made there. I think certain companies don't bother to distribute there and others have trouble serving their software/sample/instrument packages due to the GFW.

Most clubs in China have CDJs which are pretty much last decade's standard.. All of the really cool stuff is now software based or controls a DAW like Ableton. It's much more complicated to learn, but way more versatile.

Arglebargle III posted:

People pay money for this? You know money can buy lots of other things too right?

That's about $4000 worth of hardware he has on that table. Yes I know money can buy lots of things but these are things I can sell. There's very little profit in selling something that's already widely available and everybody already knows about. I couldn't make a business like this in the USA because everybody speaks English and can look up tutorials on YouTube but there's very little a Chinese person can do to learn this stuff other than buy the item on Taobao and try to decipher the English instructions. They don't localize the software into Chinese because piracy - I have a friend who uses Ableton Live and runs it in Japanese, because he can at least sort of understand what he's doing.

Anyway what I see in the Chinese marketplace right now is a whole lotta red oceans - as soon as someone starts selling mango desserts or opens a cafe suddenly everyone else is selling mango desserts and opening cafes. So there's no long-term profit in doing anything that can be easily replicated (like opening a restaurant) but significant potential in markets that exist elsewhere in the world but not China, especially consumer goods that are highly technical and require a certain level of talent/skill to demonstrate value.

Like, I swear you could make a poo poo ton of money importing Four Loko into China. Maybe it's illegal, I dunno. There's gotta be a reason nobody's done it yet (other than the fact that Four Loko is horrible and might kill you).

edit: Does anybody know how you buy .cn domain names? I already own jqam.xyz and ceritfied.com but I wanna buy something that's a .cn - do you have to register with the government?

bad day fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 22, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Blank Spaces sounds like an Avril Lavigne song.

That's not harsh enough. It sounds like an Avril Lavigne cover of a Selina Gomez song.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

bad day posted:

edit: Does anybody know how you buy .cn domain names? I already own jqam.xyz and ceritfied.com but I wanna buy something that's a .cn - do you have to register with the government?

http://www.asiaregistry.com/domains/domains_cn.html Here you go, though there are a few registrars that can do it. You need a ton of paperwork to get it, and my honest advice as someone who works in an internet-based company that markets to Chinese people is that it probably isn't worth it. Most Chinese people don't really ever think ".cn" is better or search it out like in some other countries. The only major ".cn" site I can think of is Amazon's "z.cn/amazon.cn". jd.com, taobao.com, baidu.com, youku.com, weibo.com... etc... If you were in Europe, or even Canada/Aus/etc, getting a local domain can be really helpful for SEO and discovery, but in China it's not really the case.

Also apparently you can get .中国 now which is p funny.

You'd be better off getting a pinyin/localized/etc .com address. You can get URLs with Chinese characters for super cheap now, though hardly anyone is using them right now.

quote:

Like, I swear you could make a poo poo ton of money importing Four Loko into China. Maybe it's illegal, I dunno. There's gotta be a reason nobody's done it yet (other than the fact that Four Loko is horrible and might kill you).

I think you've been out wherever you are for too long. Four Loko took the energy stuff out like 4 years ago and is just lovely fruity flavored alcohol like rio/bacardi breezer/the other crap that is sold at every store in China.

bad day posted:

Wow you noticed! I love you. The whole point was to make her sound like a tranny, but make the song sound cool.

And that isn't a very cool word to use these days either.

Ghost Cockfighter
Apr 22, 2007

Edit: Below

Ghost Cockfighter fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 22, 2015

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

bad day posted:

I couldn't make a business like this in the USA because everybody speaks English and can look up tutorials on YouTube but there's very little a Chinese person can do to learn this stuff other than buy the item on Taobao and try to decipher the English instructions. They don't localize the software into Chinese because piracy - I have a friend who uses Ableton Live and runs it in Japanese, because he can at least sort of understand what he's doing.

what happens when four chinese guys make videos about this on youku

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Arglebargle III posted:

Blank Spaces sounds like an Avril Lavigne song.

That's not harsh enough. It sounds like an Avril Lavigne cover of a Selina Gomez song.

Then it's perfect for the Chinese market.

Ghost Cockfighter
Apr 22, 2007

Wow okay I read a bit more and you need to cross the Huangpu. Shanghai doesn't have any (local or foreign) DJs doing interesting things - are you crazy?! Shanghai is full of DJs and clubs that run the whole gamut of customer's expectations - you've got places like Arkham, Dada and Shelter for the hipster crowd all the way to like, all of the The Bund for the champagne crowd. There are so many DJs in Shanghai it's actually refreshing when you meet someone who isn't one. Half the owners of these places are DJs and producers themselves, and they have no trouble booking diverse or famous talent so I'm not sure how you imagine you'll be bringing talent over that other people don't have access to, when they're booking artists like Diplo.

There are plenty of talented locals producing interesting music and doing killer shows too. Check out Sulumi, who makes music with Gameboys and is carving out a nice living for himself.

I recommend you immerse yourself in the scene, get out there, meet people, start playing some shows. Nobody is going to 'steal' your idea, the guys who built the EDM scene in SH are all friends despite running/owning competing nights and venues. Believe it or not, they all invested into Shanghai because they wanted to build something they were passionate about.

Also you definitely want some kind of legal ownership in your business in China, there are so many horror stories of successful businesses being taken over by Chinese partners and the owner left with nothing in China. You'll be there until one day they no longer need you - then you won't. Like I said, I'm not saying don't do it, but do it right if you're going to.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Cockfighter posted:

Wow okay I read a bit more and you need to cross the Huangpu. Shanghai doesn't have any (local or foreign) DJs doing interesting things - are you crazy?! Shanghai is full of DJs and clubs that run the whole gamut of customer's expectations - you've got places like Arkham, Dada and Shelter for the hipster crowd all the way to like, all of the The Bund for the champagne crowd. There are so many DJs in Shanghai it's actually refreshing when you meet someone who isn't one. Half the owners of these places are DJs and producers themselves, and they have no trouble booking diverse or famous talent so I'm not sure how you imagine you'll be bringing talent over that other people don't have access to, when they're booking artists like Diplo.

There are plenty of talented locals producing interesting music and doing killer shows too. Check out Sulumi, who makes music with Gameboys and is carving out a nice living for himself.

I recommend you immerse yourself in the scene, get out there, meet people, start playing some shows. Nobody is going to 'steal' your idea, the guys who built the EDM scene in SH are all friends despite running/owning competing nights and venues. Believe it or not, they all invested into Shanghai because they wanted to build something they were passionate about.

Also you definitely want some kind of legal ownership in your business in China, there are so many horror stories of successful businesses being taken over by Chinese partners and the owner left with nothing in China. You'll be there until one day they no longer need you - then you won't. Like I said, I'm not saying don't do it, but do it right if you're going to.

Doesn't post often but wise words

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I was thinking more along the lines of bringing over guys like 20syl, Caural, Slugabed, Daktyl, Schlomo, etc. to teach classes for short periods, and book them side gigs. I really feel like that Diplo Madonna thing was EDM jumping the shark. Your grandma listens to trap now. Time to dust off the dancehall and 90's hip hop records :smith:

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Ghost Cockfighter posted:

DJs doing interesting things - are you crazy?

Ok let me qualify - I grew up in the days of everybody trying to be like Q-Bert, Cut Chemist, Z-Trip, running through like 10-20 records in a 15 minute set. We memorized and rehearsed these routines over and over, for fun. We watched and learned from each other, because that was the best way to learn. I watch a live stream of these dudes playing Ultra and it makes me sick - I don't really care what kind of music they play but they're going through like three records in 12 minutes, just lining up the drops, one after another.

It's just lazy. Lazy rear end EDM bullshit, the crowd loves it. They make money. More power to them.

But you know on the other end..

quote:

There are so many DJs in Shanghai it's actually refreshing when you meet someone who isn't one.

Yeah but are they good? I really like all the live electronic acts I have seen but have not been impressed by the DJ talent pool. Sorry, I just haven't.

I mean, give me a couple hours with one of these guys and I can show him (or her) how to not suck. I could also sell them a brand new MIDI FIGHTER 3D, because it's awesome, here, try it out! Fuckin cool, right? Only 1500 kuai! Here, let me put some templates on your USB drive, and I'll show you how to route it to Traktor. You know, we've got a seminar with LZRKMMNDR next week on MIDI and sample management..

quote:

Half the owners of these places are DJs and producers themselves, and they have no trouble booking diverse or famous talent so I'm not sure how you imagine you'll be bringing talent over that other people don't have access to, when they're booking artists like Diplo.

I don't know where you get the idea that I want to bring over someone like Diplo because, eh, no.

quote:

Yeah, that's what I am saying.

I just want to teach music man. This EDM thing only has so much momentum - it's already getting dumb as hell and I would only trust the "molly" in China to be anything but. Yeah it's a fad but people didn't go back to riding horses when cars weren't cool anymore. On a professional level, all music is produced electronically now. Like it or not. So I feel like creating and manipulating audio is a professional skill that is worth learning, and worth teaching to others. I don't want to stay in China forever but I want to give something back, advance the culture in some meaningful way, show people how to not suck.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
This is both relevant and interesting - check out the whole episode if you can, I don't think it's on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLD3AKoyV5Q

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

bad day posted:

This is both relevant and interesting - check out the whole episode if you can, I don't think it's on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLD3AKoyV5Q

Does the synthetic stuff get pumped into the domestic market legally or is it just for export?

It's already hosed up the US in some places. I had a friend in upstate New York that talked about how 'molly' hosed up her brother real bad. I was kinda confused until I realized that 'molly' means bath salts in that part of New York.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

bad day posted:

Ok let me qualify - I grew up in the days of everybody trying to be like Q-Bert, Cut Chemist, Z-Trip, running through like 10-20 records in a 15 minute set. We memorized and rehearsed these routines over and over, for fun. We watched and learned from each other, because that was the best way to learn. I watch a live stream of these dudes playing Ultra and it makes me sick - I don't really care what kind of music they play but they're going through like three records in 12 minutes, just lining up the drops, one after another.

It's just lazy. Lazy rear end EDM bullshit, the crowd loves it. They make money. More power to them.

It seems like your "money making" venture is focused entirely on 'the music maaaaaan'. What kind of idiot deliberately ignores market trends and doesn't teach that style of music and still expects to make money? People aren't going to line up to hear some guy play 10 year old beats, they wanna hear songs about popping molly or playing Ultra because that's what's popular. Also holy poo poo your weird moral crusade on giving some culture to China.

bad day posted:

Yeah but are they good? I really like all the live electronic acts I have seen but have not been impressed by the DJ talent pool. Sorry, I just haven't.

I mean, give me a couple hours with one of these guys and I can show him (or her) how to not suck. I could also sell them a brand new MIDI FIGHTER 3D, because it's awesome, here, try it out! Fuckin cool, right? Only 1500 kuai! Here, let me put some templates on your USB drive, and I'll show you how to route it to Traktor. You know, we've got a seminar with LZRKMMNDR next week on MIDI and sample management..

"Yes but are they GOOD" asks Bad Day, slowly sinking into debt with each new class. But it's okay, for he has the moral highground. Those fools, having fun and dancing. How dare they. DJing has nothing to do with fun!

bad day posted:

I just want to teach music man. This EDM thing only has so much momentum - it's already getting dumb as hell and I would only trust the "molly" in China to be anything but. Yeah it's a fad but people didn't go back to riding horses when cars weren't cool anymore. On a professional level, all music is produced electronically now. Like it or not. So I feel like creating and manipulating audio is a professional skill that is worth learning, and worth teaching to others. I don't want to stay in China forever but I want to give something back, advance the culture in some meaningful way, show people how to not suck.

How are you going to make money off this you stupid gently caress? How do you cater to Hipsters and still expect to make money?

You'll have a bad first year. A bad 13th month. And then on the 14th month you'll be in an empty office while some guy hangs a sign in the foyer reading "Happy Happy English". Good loving luck to you, you idiot.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I'm just curious if he's gonna get a .cn domain cause I'd like to know how long that actually takes outside of the anecdotal "forever" I've heard.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Magna Kaser posted:

I'm just curious if he's gonna get a .cn domain cause I'd like to know how long that actually takes outside of the anecdotal "forever" I've heard.

http://www.imgay.cn/

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You guys are being rude bad day's plan to sell useless **foreign** things to rich Shanghainese sounds pretty foolproof

Ghost Cockfighter
Apr 22, 2007

I regret mentioning Diplo because you've now focused in on that. My point was that if these guys can book artists with Diplo's level of profile, then they have no trouble booking underground / experimental artists - and they do, if they think it'll sell tickets or drinks. That's always the bottom line, and when you start your business it should be yours too. Also, you champion Ableton while at the same time bemoaning the decline of turntablism. You seem inconsistent on what the focus of this business will be.

You also mentioned that you haven't been impressed by any local or foreign DJs in Shanghai. How long have you been there and where have you gone out? I'm not trying to be rude but unless Shanghai has changed dramatically since I was there last, then you haven't been to any decent places. Perhaps you went to one event which didn't quite float your boat and made a judgement over the whole scene from that. Or perhaps you've been going to those horrible Face +88 type Chinese clubs where they play bad trance music. I dunno.

Anyway, my point remains the same - if you're serious about this, get out there and meet people and get involved in the scene. It's going to be the most fun you'll have doing market research ever.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
Bad Day, if you want to teach DJing, research what's popular in the market and teach that with some foundations in music design or whatever. When the fad changes, you have to change with it.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

The Worst Muslim posted:

Good loving luck to you, you idiot.

Uh, I don't think you read anything I wrote, really, except with the intent of being a sneering rear end in a top hat. I certainly hope we never meet.

I have no intention of targeting expat hipsters or whatever you think it is I'm doing. This is the problem with EDM bullshit - everybody assumes you're some sort of fuckhead who doesn't know what they're talking about.

It's a problem in business too - you want to open up an english mill and everybody assumes it's a good market, because there's a million English mills. You want to do something nobody has even tried to do before in China and they're like "GOOD LUCK, rear end in a top hat, BTW gently caress YOU".

Anyway I won't discuss this anymore here. I appreciate polite, thought out, and constructive feedback from Ghost Cockfighter and others - it's very helpful. TWM I hope you get hit by a bus and everybody just stands around watching you slowly die in the street. Sincerely.

edit: the focus for the business is actually on the new technologies. I don't bemoan turntablism - I'm absolutely overjoyed to not carry vinyl and decks and crates of records to gigs anymore - but in general DJs (even famous pros) underutilize the new tools available to them, especially in regard to making their performances more live and improvisational. Live and Push are one level of production, Maschine and MPC are a different sort of tool, Massive and Komplete are incredibly deep programs, Traktor and Serato can be utilized in much more interesting ways than "play song, crossfade, sync" which is what 90% of "DJs" do with their time onstage.

As I said, I can teach people how to use this technology to make their music and performances better. That's the overall goal of the school. There's more too it than that - I'll be targeting some very specific segments but laowai hipsters aren't really one of them. I'm not impressed with the DJs I've seen in Shanghai, but I'm not impressed with DJs in general right now. Yes EDM festival culture is HUGE now but trends come and go, what I'm proposing is more like a school that teaches high-level classes in specific computer programs, not WUB WUB EAT SLEEP RAVE REPEAT like you might assume.

Anyway, yeah it'll be a cool adventure, and I think people will dig what I have planned. It's good, though, that people sneer and think it won't work. That means they'll be slower to emulate my success.

bad day fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 23, 2015

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

I love this

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

bad day posted:

Uh, I don't think you read anything I wrote, really, except with the intent of being a sneering rear end in a top hat. I certainly hope we never meet.

I have no intention of targeting expat hipsters or whatever you think it is I'm doing. This is the problem with EDM bullshit - everybody assumes you're some sort of fuckhead who doesn't know what they're talking about.

It's a problem in business too - you want to open up an english mill and everybody assumes it's a good market, because there's a million English mills. You want to do something nobody has even tried to do before in China and they're like "GOOD LUCK, rear end in a top hat, BTW gently caress YOU".

Anyway I won't discuss this anymore here. I appreciate polite, thought out, and constructive feedback from Ghost Cockfighter and others - it's very helpful. TWM I hope you get hit by a bus and everybody just stands around watching you slowly die in the street. Sincerely.

Ignore the haters and if you are determined to do DJing then so be it. I actually would like to know more about the Shanghai scene myself.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I know very little about what bad day is trying to do so I can't offer any constructive criticism and I really don't understand it. I have no ill will toward bad day and wish him all the success in the world, though I am still uncertain if he will be able to be successful.

I do hope that TWM does not, in fact, get hit by a bus and slowly die in the street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Ok, maybe he can get hit by a bus, fall on a dirty soup spoon, and catch AIDS instead.