Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

SA2K posted:

I've been hearing all over local radio and such that San Diego State is already working behind the scenes to partner with an MLS team to build a 30-35k seat stadium on the SDSU campus in the event that the Chargers leave.

That's certainly a thing.

The most surprising part is that they would try and put an MLS team in San Diego.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

The most surprising part is that they would try and put an MLS team in San Diego.

Lotta people like soccer here

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

SA2K posted:

Lotta people like soccer here

Not disagreeing but with two teams in LA and the league already at 24 teams planned I can't see San Diego getting a team until 2020 or later.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

Not disagreeing but with two teams in LA and the league already at 24 teams planned I can't see San Diego getting a team until 2020 or later.

Didn't Chivas fold?

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

SA2K posted:

Didn't Chivas fold?

They did fold and a bunch of rich guys paid 100 million for a brand new team scheduled for 2017 (in reality they will join in 2018).

DreamtShadow
Aug 21, 2010

SA2K posted:

I've been hearing all over local radio and such that San Diego State is already working behind the scenes to partner with an MLS team to build a 30-35k seat stadium on the SDSU campus in the event that the Chargers leave.

That's certainly a thing.

That's what Connecticut did when Kraft and the Patriots said "Just kidding you guys were just for leverage." Nice new stadium for a terrible UConn football team to try to still feel like they accomplished something.

Well besides wasting a ton of money.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
If Rams get their deal secured is it a race between Raiders and Chargers or are they gonna try to force 3 teams?

Or, more realistically, is Dean Spanos just going to take the standing offer from SD and shut up?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
serious question why does the rams owner want to move to California while they are in such an intense drought?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Metapod posted:

serious question why does the rams owner want to move to California while they are in such an intense drought?

Because his franchise will instantly double (at least) in value?

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

The L.A. Clippers sold for 2 billion of your earth dollars. They earn less than half of what any NFL franchise earns in national TV revenues alone (until their new TV deal kicks in next year, anyway). It's crazy to think what an NFL team with exclusive rights to the second largest TV market in the country (12 million people) would be worth, but your answer is "lots more than one in St. Louis."

I don't think the drought really is a consideration. Compared to the 27,000,000+ acres of farmland that currently use 80% of the state's water, a football field in LA isn't a blip on the radar.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Metapod posted:

It's okay because rams frequently live in arid regions and can rely solely on ingesting grasses and shrubs for hydration

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Rasczak posted:

It's okay because rams frequently live in arid regions and can rely solely on ingesting grasses and shrubs for hydration

What if there is no grass. What then!!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Bricks of ditch 'grass' smuggled in from across the border.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

CannonFodder posted:

Bricks of ditch 'grass' smuggled in from across the border.

Not even a joke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl4yN6adFAU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Tricky Ed posted:

I don't think the drought really is a consideration. Compared to the 27,000,000+ acres of farmland that currently use 80% of the state's water, a football field in LA isn't a blip on the radar.

Plus the water they use for concessions is shipped from the Annheiser Busch breweries in other states anyway

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Metapod posted:

California has tooons of pasture land available and is more than willing to supply water to the herds

e: should've read the thread :(

Rasczak posted:

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Doesn't Kroenke have to pay for the relocation fees and stadium out of pocket though? Isn't that like $2bio?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Zurreco posted:

If Rams get their deal secured is it a race between Raiders and Chargers or are they gonna try to force 3 teams?

Or, more realistically, is Dean Spanos just going to take the standing offer from SD and shut up?

If the Rams secure their deal in Inglewood, then Carson as a dual-team stadium is dead, because the NFL won't allow three teams in LA. It's also dead as a single-team stadium, because the economics are terrible and neither the Chargers or Raiders can afford to build there alone. They may attempt to force Kroenke to accept a second team in Inglewood, but I don't know the logistics of that or how much of a threat that is. Certainly, Kroenke doesn't want to do that, because then he's splitting revenues with another team.

I think if he gets in, it weakens the bargaining position of the other teams. The Chargers, whether they stay or go, will demand compensation for the Rams moving into their turf.

DreamtShadow
Aug 21, 2010

Glass of Milk posted:

Certainly, Kroenke doesn't want to do that, because then he's splitting revenues with another team.

Besides the second team keeping their own and luxury box revenue, what else would be split? Kroenke owns the stadium so he would get the money from naming rights and theoretically the other team would be leasing the use from the Rams.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

DreamtShadow posted:

Besides the second team keeping their own and luxury box revenue, what else would be split? Kroenke owns the stadium so he would get the money from naming rights and theoretically the other team would be leasing the use from the Rams.

This is why I can't see the Chargers moving in to be Stan Kroenke's Tennant.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

SA2K posted:

This is why I can't see the Chargers moving in to be Stan Kroenke's Tennant.

And this is exactly why I can see the Raiders doing it.

Although I wonder if Kroenke takes the NFL's $200 million and the Raiders/Chargers contributed $200 million from the league if that would give them any sort of equity stake.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Glass of Milk posted:

If the Rams secure their deal in Inglewood, then Carson as a dual-team stadium is dead, because the NFL won't allow three teams in LA. It's also dead as a single-team stadium, because the economics are terrible and neither the Chargers or Raiders can afford to build there alone. They may attempt to force Kroenke to accept a second team in Inglewood, but I don't know the logistics of that or how much of a threat that is. Certainly, Kroenke doesn't want to do that, because then he's splitting revenues with another team.

I think if he gets in, it weakens the bargaining position of the other teams. The Chargers, whether they stay or go, will demand compensation for the Rams moving into their turf.

Kroenke already announced that the Inglewood stadium is going to be built to house two teams. Two full sets of offices, owners boxes, home lockerrooms, etc

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Assuming the Kroenke is also going to have a hand in the redevelopment of the area I'm sure he would much rather have an NFL game being played 16 weeks a year instead of just 8. Also in this scenario the Raiders and Rams never make the playoffs so everything stays the same.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
Here's a video of the stadium St. Louis is building. It looks pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQkGOSnJ9rY

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

The Glumslinger posted:

Kroenke already announced that the Inglewood stadium is going to be built to house two teams. Two full sets of offices, owners boxes, home lockerrooms, etc

"Kroenke doesn't need to partner with another team to finance the stadium, but the NFL sees L.A. as a two-team market and wants venues to be capable of hosting both. The Inglewood plan is two-team compliant, which means it has two home locker rooms, identical sets of office space, and two owners' suites. Whereas the Carson proposal is based on the Chargers and Raiders simultaneously relocating, it is widely believed Kroenke does not want to share the market with another NFL team right away, and, because he would be assuming the risk of the stadium by himself, would want to reap the benefits of getting his team up and running as L.A.'s sole franchise."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-nfl-stadium-inglewood-20150322-column.html

Both things are true, I think. He doesn't want to share the stadium, but he's going through the process because he knows the NFL will be more likely to put the screws in if he doesn't design it with two teams in mind. The design can quickly change if the Raiders and Chargers get stadium deals in their respective cities.

I don't know precisely, but I would think if he builds and owns the stadium, he can charge rent to whatever other team shows up. Plus he would likely retain all of the naming rights money. Alternatively, he could make a second team pitch in some cash to the construction if he's the only game in town. He may also negotiate with the NFL to be the sole NFL franchise in LA for x number of years before they require him to take on a second team.

Glass of Milk fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 23, 2015

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Glass of Milk posted:

"Kroenke doesn't need to partner with another team to finance the stadium, but the NFL sees L.A. as a two-team market and wants venues to be capable of hosting both. The Inglewood plan is two-team compliant, which means it has two home locker rooms, identical sets of office space, and two owners' suites. Whereas the Carson proposal is based on the Chargers and Raiders simultaneously relocating, it is widely believed Kroenke does not want to share the market with another NFL team right away, and, because he would be assuming the risk of the stadium by himself, would want to reap the benefits of getting his team up and running as L.A.'s sole franchise."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-nfl-stadium-inglewood-20150322-column.html

Both things are true, I think. He doesn't want to share the stadium, but he's going through the process because he knows the NFL will be more likely to put the screws in if he doesn't design it with two teams in mind. The design can quickly change if the Raiders and Chargers get stadium deals in their respective cities.

I don't know precisely, but I would think if he builds and owns the stadium, he can charge rent to whatever other team shows up. Plus he would likely retain all of the naming rights money. Alternatively, he could make a second team pitch in some cash to the construction if he's the only game in town.

He wants to share the use of the stadium, but he wants to be the sole owner of the stadium. He wants a second team there so there are more home games and more revenue for him.

He also wants to get back to the market a year or two earlier to build up a strong fan base

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
One thing to keep in mind is that even with all the money in the world, Kroenke has to rely on NFL approval. If Kroenke gets all his poo poo sorted in a week with room to spare, and Carson ekes itself into being workable after months of nitpicking, the NFL can, and likely would, approve the Carson deal and tell Kroenke to suck it up. So it's irrelevant which deals seem more likely to go through the approval process, because as long as both of them do get approved, the NFL can take its pick.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Glass of Milk posted:

One of the SD Councilpeople (whose district Qualcomm is in) released a mocked up new stadium shot:

Looks like tailgating is not going to happen in that plan. I actually think a higher density plan is pretty smart in a city with so little real estate, though the big question would be transit options. If you've got housing and a hotel there, you're going to need lots of parking and rail/bike/bus/etc ways in and out.
The most unrealistic part of this image for me is just how green all the surrounding area is. Good luck with that.

Also as SA2k mentioned, lol @ traffic on Friars road if this happened.

LockHeart
Apr 8, 2005

I'll make Coach Haribo proud!

Tzen posted:

The most unrealistic part of this image for me is just how green all the surrounding area is. Good luck with that.

Also as SA2k mentioned, lol @ traffic on Friars road if this happened.

Seriously, it took me two hours and change to get from Carlsbad to being parked in the stadium last season.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

LockHeart posted:

Seriously, it took me two hours and change to get from Carlsbad to being parked in the stadium last season.

Coaster to Trolley, mang. Why would you ever want to be on any of the highways during a home game at Qualcomm? As if traffic wasn't bad enough.

LockHeart
Apr 8, 2005

I'll make Coach Haribo proud!

Zurreco posted:

Coaster to Trolley, mang. Why would you ever want to be on any of the highways during a home game at Qualcomm? As if traffic wasn't bad enough.

Took the Coaster -> Trolley to the Pats game and we didn't get onto the trolly until midnight after a Monday night game. We used to take the bus from Escondido, but the stadium stopped offering that a few years ago.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
https://twitter.com/LobShots/status/596892312858300416/photo/1

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

lol

Bivens
Jun 23, 2003

die mensch·maschine
especially when you consider the Clippers used to be in San Diego :laugh:

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
the LA chargers will definitely be the NFL equivalent of the clippers though

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

He was probably just there to support his family name

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
At least he isn't supporting Golden State

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

So next Wednesday, the CSAG (Citizen Stadium Advisory Group) plans to release their financing plan to both the mayor and the Chargers, a plan they've been working on for the last several months. Bits and pieces of it are starting to leak out:

-The plan is supposedly for a 1.3 Billion dollar facility on the Mission Valley site.
-The Chargers and NFL will each contribute $250 Million (They've both already publicized this)
-Both the city of San Diego and County of San Diego will contribute $120 Million each
-Development of the surrounding area (ala the Petco Park method) will pay for the rest of the stadium as well as pay the city and county back.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
do you mean the Chargers and NFL have already said they'd pay that much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

football fuckerman posted:

do you mean the Chargers and NFL have already said they'd pay that much?

Yeah, the Chargers and NFL have said they'd kick in 250m each.

• Locked thread