Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

alaska could possibly swing dem after al gore leads a polar bear army from the yukon to reclaim the north from the earth destroyers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Unzip and Attack posted:

HAHAHAHA I never noticed the airborne tab bracelet he's wearing in that photo. I had no idea they made f'ing bracelets. WOW

Dude is the worst kind of officer.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

uncurable mlady posted:

she's got a shot at Kentucky though

I mean, it's a long one and it wouldn't matter much at that point but they fuckin love the clintons down there

Nope. I'm a Kentuckian, I can vouch.

The population balance in KY just does not work given the current electorate.

The Clintons (Hillary less so than Bill) remain personally popular in both coal countries and the ohio river rust-belt towns. And Hillary can, of course, expect to take Louisville and Lexington. But there's fewer people in those places than in the Pennyrile (the dixieland part of the state) combined with the overlapping Louisville/Cincinatti/Lexington white-flight zone in the Bluegrass. The people there have shifted as far into the red column as other white rural southerners and white suburbanites over the past decade and a half.

Bottom line: Hillary will take some impoverished and not-particularly-populous Appalachian counties that Obama lost, maybe take Paducah and Owensboro and Henderson, but to win she'd have to pull off, say, thirty-or-forty-point swings in counties that could at this point be described as some of the most rabidly conservative in the nation.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 23, 2015

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Unzip and Attack posted:

HAHAHAHA I never noticed the airborne tab bracelet he's wearing in that photo. I had no idea they made f'ing bracelets. WOW
I always thought he was wearing two watches

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Political analyst extraordinare DICK MORRIS

Caros
May 14, 2008

Sir Tonk posted:

Dude is the worst kind of officer.

One who commits war crimes?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Unzip and Attack posted:

They make and sell all that and more in the US Cavalry catalog. The question is, are you man enough to buy it.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

Caros posted:

I keep seeing references in D&D to Allen West being a war criminal. What's that about?

I know literally nothing about Allen West except that he apparently is wearing some kind of a bracelet on the cover of that book, that he's a Republican, and the words "war criminal."

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

mooyashi posted:

"Yeah I think she'll swing TN too, since Al Gore is from there, and her husband worked with him, and he was almost president, and I'm a complete fuckin' rube"

Al Gore couldn't even win Tennessee.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

spacing in vienna posted:

I keep seeing references in D&D to Allen West being a war criminal. What's that about?

I know literally nothing about Allen West except that he apparently is wearing some kind of a bracelet on the cover of that book, that he's a Republican, and the words "war criminal."

He was either punished or dismissed for conducting a mock execution on an Iraqi police officer 'believing' he had information on plans for an attack. The officer of course knew nothing.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
He was fined like 5,000 dollars and allowed to retire with benefits or something like that.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Edit: beaten

From Wikipedia (yeah, it's not authoritative but it's easy to find):

"In 2003, West was charged in an incident that involved the beating and simulated execution of an Iraqi police officer... West was charged with violating Articles 128 (assault) and 134 (general article) of the Uniform Code of Military Justice. West was fined $5,000, accepted a Non-judicial punishment and allowed to retire as a lieutenant colonel after an Article 32 hearing."

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks, guys. Sorry, I should have thought to Google it, but I actually thought this was going to be something obscure or covered up, not like sitting out on his freaking Wikipedia page.

He sounds way classy. Definitely adding some shine to the Republican field, there.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Joementum posted:

I mean, pundits were even predicting that Obama would win Arkansas in 2008 :v:

This will never not be the funniest thing

I really like that he still thinks McCain could make a comeback from that map with the election some two weeks ahead

ass cobra fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Apr 23, 2015

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Caros posted:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

He was either punished or dismissed for conducting a mock execution on an Iraqi police officer 'believing' he had information on plans for an attack. The officer of course knew nothing.

That's against international law, but isn't considered a war crime and nobody has ever been prosecuted for it on those grounds.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

tsa posted:

That's against international law, but isn't considered a war crime and nobody has ever been prosecuted for it on those grounds.

Ok so not a war crime per se but a person who committed a crime as a means of war.

I get your meaning, but the term war crime is an odd one given that it has rather specific meanings but such a broad name.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

mlmp08 posted:

Ok so not a war crime per se but a person who committed a crime as a means of war.

I get your meaning, but the term war crime is an odd one given that it has rather specific meanings but such a broad name.

He committed a crime under the Uniform Code of Military Justice as determined by court martial. I think that's the specific phrasing we're looking for here.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

He wasn't court martialed he accepted non judicial punishment which appeared to be :frogout:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

alaska could possibly swing dem after al gore leads a polar bear army from the yukon to reclaim the north from the earth destroyers
Never got into Golden Compass, myself.

Thanks, guys. Sorry, I should have thought to Google it, but I actually thought this was going to be something obscure or covered up, not like sitting out on his freaking Wikipedia page.

He sounds way classy. Definitely adding some shine to the Republican field, there.

Yay for Hooverphonic.

Surprised he even got that much punishment given how Jack Bauer the establishment was in those days.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Caros posted:

Nah, the kind that wears his medals in the most obvious ways possible and probably reminds you of them whenever he can. Also, the kind of guy that would think the solutions used in 80's action films to get information out of "the enemy" would be valid.

West was the kind of officer that thinks he knows better than all the military people that came before him. That he doesn't need to pay attention to all the policies and strategies, because he knows best. Dude is probably still angry at some nebulous (liberal) force for cutting off his legs and doesn't see anything wrong with his actions.

edit

Gravel Gravy posted:

Surprised he even got that much punishment given how Jack Bauer the establishment was in those days.

That was more the CIA's thing and outliers like that Guard unit at the prison (Guard units tend to have a significant number of soldiers that have day jobs at prisons).

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 23, 2015

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I have trouble believing his stint in Congress was anything other than an audition for Fox News.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Number_6 posted:

Edit: beaten

From Wikipedia (yeah, it's not authoritative but it's easy to find):

"In 2003, West was charged in an incident that involved the beating and simulated execution of an Iraqi police officer... West was charged with violating Articles 128 (assault) and 134 (general article) of the Uniform Code of Military Justice. West was fined $5,000, accepted a Non-judicial punishment and allowed to retire as a lieutenant colonel after an Article 32 hearing."

On the other hand, that's more punishment than a US police officer sees for actually executing someone

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

rear end cobra posted:

This will never not be the funniest thing

I really like that he still thinks McCain could make a comeback from that map with the election some two weeks ahead

My two favorite things about the map are that he has Obama winning McCain's home state and that for all of the ridiculous states he has Obama winning, he doesn't have him winning Indiana, the one ridiculous state he actually did win.

Each time you look you notice some new, hilarious thing...

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

At what point in 2007 did Obama become a thing? In april of 07 weren't we all riding the inevitable Hillary as POTUS train?

I'm just wondering if there isn't some up and comer no one has thought of yet on the left.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

At what point in 2007 did Obama become a thing? In april of 07 weren't we all riding the inevitable Hillary as POTUS train?

I'm just wondering if there isn't some up and comer no one has thought of yet on the left.

Some time about Sept. 2004.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

sullat posted:

Some time about Sept. 2004.

I mean as a serious presidential candidate, not just a pillowpants wet dream.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

He announced in February and immediately started outfundraising Hillary.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Pinterest Mom posted:

He announced in February and immediately started outfundraising Hillary.

As I recall, there was a bit of a faction fight that he tapped into. I don't think there's a similar level of party split these days. Differences exist, but I think everybody wants to gently caress the Republicans hard, first and foremost.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

FizFashizzle posted:

Sometime around September 2004

He was approached by Ted Kennedy as the possibility of being the new face of the Democratic Party, and Kennedy got him the main speech role at the convention. After that went well Ted suggested he run and offered to put the Kennedy network at his disposal. Obama talked about it with Michelle, and agreed.

Obama wasn't some insurgent who came out of no where to take apart the Clinton machine. The more liberal branch of the party, the Kennedy machine, specifically picked him and backed him. Obama took that and fused it with his own coalition, but don't make any mistake about where the money, endorsements, and connections were coming from.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
IIRC, Harry Reid also approached him not long after he entered the senate, and suggested that he wasn't happy there, with the implication that he ought start planning a presidential run.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

FizFashizzle posted:

He got a big boost from winning the Iowa caucuses in early 2008. Prior to that he was still seen as a strong challenger, but most people didn't think he'd be strong enough to topple Hillary. The race flipped from her leading to him leading after Super Tuesday that year when Obama won a majority of the delegates.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Donald Trump has signed a lease for an office in Manchester, NH :getin:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Logikv9 posted:

Political analyst extraordinare DICK MORRIS

Speaking of horrible people the Clintons have associated themselves with...

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

That guy definitely worships Aqua Buddha.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

What looks worse, I wonder. Having that all swept under the rug and looking like any other piece of poo poo politician, or making him face the charges but it hangs in the media longer.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

ReidRansom posted:

What looks worse, I wonder. Having that all swept under the rug and looking like any other piece of poo poo politician, or making him face the charges but it hangs in the media longer.

OK, I'm ignorant, who is that?

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Spun Dog posted:

OK, I'm ignorant, who is that?

Rand Paul's son got busted for DUI
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2015/04/22/rand-pauls-son-dui/26213657/

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

And it's apparently not his first time. Also it sounds like he was maybe high as well as drunk and the car he was driving wasn't insured and wasn't his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

ReidRansom posted:

And it's apparently not his first time. Also it sounds like he was maybe high as well as drunk and the car he was driving wasn't insured and wasn't his.

Ah thanks.

• Locked thread