Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
A good friend of mine, after getting blown up by an rcied, ended up coming under the microscope from his command with charges for failing to obey a direct order by "not driving in the tracks of the vehicle in front of him", despite the fact that EOD pulled command det wire up from the crater the IED left.

My platoon commander personally came out and collected the PPE for my entire vehicle crew after we were medevac'd for the IED that tore up my leg. Didn't even ask how we were doing, walked into the room, asked me for my flak and any other ppe I was wearing, walked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
gently caress those kind of people. When a grenade got tossed into one of our Humvees and killed a buddy of mine who was gunning and seriously hosed up a former team leader of mine, him and the rest of the guys were in the medic station getting treated. Our platoon sergeant had some minor cuts and this motherfucker was more concerned about his injuries than one of his dead privates, injured NCOs and our platoon medic. gently caress that guy forever.

son gay. so what
Mar 13, 2011

safetyStanddown posted:

Yeah, I think that was late last year, he took over as an armory SNCOIC and found a conex in the back with unaccounted for stuff that included comm items and some weapons parts. IIRC, none of it was too important and he got it all legitimately sorted out pretty quick.

This is why I feel like one the luckier people I know, the most stressful event of my career is more or less over(Afghanistan)but it made me look great. I report to one officer, and get shuffled around a lot translating/Interviewing people so I'm not stuck in one place. Only electronics I am responsible for is my laptop and cellphone. The worst thing that can happen now is I get stuck in an office doing actual linguist stuff and being bored, I'm riding this wave to retirement!

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Guy I know got hit with a posthumous article 104. He was the last man "killed" defending an overrun OP, but because he was delirious from loss of blood, the last grenade he threw apparently didn't have the pin pulled out. Giving away perfectly good grenades = aiding and abetting.

The actual cause of death was another grenade he attempted to throw actually landing at his own feet. That's right, Article 134. Self-harm.

His commanding officer got a bronze star for the paperwork and fucks his widow on the reg.

edit: and drinks noble-juice from his gilded skull. ugh the military amiright?

Victor Vermis fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 23, 2015

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I can't even.... gently caress....I would no joke kill that piece of poo poo in cold blood. Bash his loving skull into mush.

Please tell me you're joking. I'm getting way too angry thinking about all this poo poo right now.

Mike-o fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 23, 2015

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

Guy I know got hit with a posthumous article 104. He was the last man "killed" defending an overrun OP, but because he was delirious from loss of blood, the last grenade he threw apparently didn't have the pin pulled out. Giving away perfectly good grenades = aiding and abetting.

The actual cause of death was another grenade he attempted to throw actually landing at his own feet. That's right, Article 134. Self-harm.

His commanding officer got a bronze star for the paperwork and fucks his widow on the reg.

:stare: I can't tell if you're joking or not. Christ. Just goes to show, however lovely a story you have, someone else has one that's even worse.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I wanna say he's joking but I just can;t tell

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Deathy McDeath posted:

I wanna say he's joking but I just can;t tell

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.
It's mil so it's possible.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
oh vv :allears:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Mike-o posted:

I can't even.... gently caress....I would no joke kill that piece of poo poo in cold blood. Bash his loving skull into mush.

Please tell me you're joking. I'm getting way too angry thinking about all this poo poo right now.

son gay. so what
Mar 13, 2011

What kind of PSYOPS is this. Silly Americans

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
It's me, i'm the idiot.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

We had a no play man overboard on an exercise last year. Early spring and cold waters.
When I reported it to OPS via chat, it went something like this:

Me: NO PLAY man overboard
OPS: R, sitrep?
Me: Opfor RIB hit the wake of <vessel> at a bad angle and jumped. Person overboard was reloading flare gun at the time and not holding on.
OPS: R, status of flare gun?
Me: Stand by....
Me: Person overboard picked up and safe.
Me: Still holding on to the flare gun when picked up.
OPS: BZ.

Serialized Very guns are serious business.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
The perfect ending to that story would be a dripping wet sailor storming into the office of some pudgy officer with a radio and shooting him directly in the dick with the precious flare gun he was so concerned about.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

Wasn't there a goon who relatively recently found a bunch of old unsigned com sec poo poo in a vault he just signed for with no inspection?
That's a hilarious loving prank tho.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Caconym posted:

We had a no play man overboard on an exercise last year. Early spring and cold waters.
When I reported it to OPS via chat, it went something like this:

Me: NO PLAY man overboard
OPS: R, sitrep?
Me: Opfor RIB hit the wake of <vessel> at a bad angle and jumped. Person overboard was reloading flare gun at the time and not holding on.
OPS: R, status of flare gun?
Me: Stand by....
Me: Person overboard picked up and safe.
Me: Still holding on to the flare gun when picked up.
OPS: BZ.

Serialized Very guns are serious business.

"Where does the term "Bravo Zulu" originate? posted:

The term originates from the Allied Signals Book (ATP 1), which in the aggregate is for official use only. Signals are sent as letters and/or numbers, which have meanings by themselves sometimes or in certain combinations. A single table in ATP 1 is called "governing groups," that is, the entire signal that follows the governing group is to be performed according to the "governor." The letter "B" indicates this table, and the second letter (A through Z) gives more specific information. For example, "BA" might mean "You have permission to . . . (do whatever the rest of the flashing light, flag hoist or radio transmission says) "BZ" happens to be the last item in the governing groups table. It means "well done".

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Godholio posted:

It's really bizarre how bad they are at it. I was an equipment custodian for like six items...a couple of STEs (secure telephones that work by inserting an encryption card, the card is the really important part not the phone) and a TACLANE (sort of like a modem for the classified internet), that kind of stuff. No actual crypto. But somewhere around 2009 we found a loving STU-3. That's the 80s/90s secure phone. The base supply folks were absolutely baffled and it wasn't until I broke it down into a 3 minute version of "hey we found a STU-goddamned-3 that nobody here has ever signed for" that they finally understood the words that were coming out of my mouth and decided to do something about it. Which meant they wanted to blame it on me, which I immediately called bullshit on and threatened to hang up and call the IG if that poo poo ever came up again. I dropped it off at their office and that was the end of it.

I have two in my shop. I have been in this same shop for 3 years. 3 attempts at ROSes have been made since they won't let us FOB it. I am PCSing next month and those loving STUs will probably still be there when I go back to that shop in a few years as a contractor.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I don't know if this is just a Canadian thing, but if any CADPAT item is lost or stolen the Military Police have to be involved. Apparently digital camouflage is still super duper secret or something. This means a world of hurt for any lost camouflage items.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Wasabi the J posted:

"Where does the term "Bravo Zulu" originate? posted:

The term originates from the Allied Signals Book (ATP 1), which in the aggregate is for official use only. Signals are sent as letters and/or numbers, which have meanings by themselves sometimes or in certain combinations. A single table in ATP 1 is called "governing groups," that is, the entire signal that follows the governing group is to be performed according to the "governor." The letter "B" indicates this table, and the second letter (A through Z) gives more specific information. For example, "BA" might mean "You have permission to . . . (do whatever the rest of the flashing light, flag hoist or radio transmission says) "BZ" happens to be the last item in the governing groups table. It means "well done".

Oops, missed that. :doh:
Also "NO PLAY" is used to denote an actual emergency/important thing during an exercise that is not a part of the exercise.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't know if this is just a Canadian thing, but if any CADPAT item is lost or stolen the Military Police have to be involved. Apparently digital camouflage is still super duper secret or something. This means a world of hurt for any lost camouflage items.

It's technically the same here yet military surplus stores still manage to get all sorts of stuff like that, including CADPAT. :jihad:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Wasabi the J posted:

It's technically the same here yet military surplus stores still manage to get all sorts of stuff like that, including CADPAT. :jihad:

IIRC it was the IR reflective coating on the CADPAT gear that was sooper duper OPSEC (that on the first generation CADPAT gear washed off after 3-4 washings)

And it's just uniform components, there were no MP's involved when a loving rear end in a top hat junkie broke into my car and stole my small-pack. Even had my Goretex socks too. That was a fun fight when I quit, tried to charge me for all the stolen kit and thank god I kept records of the lost kit report and police report that were conveniently "lost" by the QM staff.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Mike-o posted:

Ammo unaccounted for? Non-sensitive items? Give it to chuck (throw it in the woods). Sensitive items? Find a clever way to get rid of it, or have a ton of people breathing down your neck. Hope to god you never get caught and the buck gets passed onto the poor bastard who takes your position when you PCS. Never had to deal with anything serious but that's what I gather from stories.

Ammo turn in at the end of my Iraq deployment was at an inconvenient time for me, so I shoved 240 loose rounds of 5.56 mm in an amnesty box.

Amnesty box pro-tip: Don't use unmarked cardboard boxes on your small COP. They tend to end up on trash fires. Good times when there's three 40mm grenades in there.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The M9 story is all the more damning when you remember that some Blackwater rear end in a top hat checked out 500 AK-47s under the name "Eric Cartman".

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

what

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

scroll up

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

The M9 story is all the more damning when you remember that some Blackwater rear end in a top hat checked out 500 AK-47s under the name "Eric Cartman".

I thought you were joking, that there was no way something that ridiculous could be true. I was wrong :negative:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/23/blackwater-took-hundreds-_n_474220.html

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Icon Of Sin posted:

I thought you were joking, that there was no way something that ridiculous could be true. I was wrong :negative:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/23/blackwater-took-hundreds-_n_474220.html
They used it for a promo. I was disappointed when it turned out to not actually be part of an episode.

son gay. so what
Mar 13, 2011
Oh yea an oldie but goodie!
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/22/italian-army-reservist-prosecuted-cat-life

She was acquitted eventually but still lol just proof that all militaries are dumb

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
I present thee, GiP community, the most :smith:/:captainpop: "should I join the military" post from Reddit:

quote:

I recently earned my Masters in Software Engineering (with a certificate in Homeland Security Using Applied Artificial Intelligence) from Ohio State University. Around this time last year I got really into the idea of enlisting once I was done with my MS, and then either waiting to finish my PhD or using the military scholarship I should be getting to obtain the doctorate.

Luckily I am 25 years old, so I was able to get in shape pretty quickly. I can do 118 push ups in 2 minutes, 94 sit ups, I can do 140 supermans in a row, and I run 2 miles in 12:20 minutes. I can also do 24 chin ups in 2 minutes, I can swim 50m underwater and I can swim 500m in under 9 minutes.

So basically, I know I have what it takes physically. But, and this is a hard decision to make, I am not sure whether I should sign up as a member of the OCS pipeline or if I should enlist. I am very interested in certain infantry MOSs, such as Army SF or PsyOp, USAF CCT or SOWT, USMC FORECON and Scout Sniper... I also have some interest in NCIS/Army CID or CI/USMC CID/AF OSI because NCIS and OSI have great cyber crime divisions, USMC CID rotates in with NCIS and of course Army CI sounds like the most badass special agent MOS in the military. I feel as though joining FORECON or CCT as an officer would be a poor decision, because even if I physically make it through the pipelines I still will be lacking in certain knowledge and nuances that an NCO would have picked up over his career. Then again, my local USMC OSO has been hounding me to attend OCC (I graduated from Maryland- BS in Cyber Security and a Minor in Arabic- with a 3.9 GPA and from Ohio State with a 3.76 while having previously attained a score of 2360/2400 on my SAT back in HS); my intellect combined with my stellar PFT scores would probably look great on his resume.

*I know military folks love humble people, but I have to wonder, is having an MS in Software Engineering from a top 15 public university too big of an accomplishment to talk myself out of becoming an officer? I obviously know that unless I were to go into Cyber Warfare my education will be essentially useless in the world of a trigger-puller, yet I think it shows that I am malleable in difficult situations, I am a fast learner and I can adapt to difficult situations

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

terrez posted:

I present thee, GiP community, the most :smith:/:captainpop: "should I join the military" post from Reddit:

you think thats bad? i went thru soi with a 30 year old englishman who had a phd and was married to a navy officer

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
It's just that he has some seriously legit credentials that most college graduates would kill for and he's considering enlisting. Granted he's gunning for spec ops and is in decent shape but it's still a 80% chance he'll drop and become 82nd or Secfo or some poo poo. And then he'll be another suicide statistic.

Or he'll end up loving his 4 years of garrison infantry and the universe will collapse on itself and we'll all die in an apocalyptic warping of time dimensions.

son gay. so what
Mar 13, 2011

terrez posted:

It's just that he has some seriously legit credentials that most college graduates would kill for and he's considering enlisting. Granted he's gunning for spec ops and is in decent shape but it's still a 80% chance he'll drop and become 82nd or Secfo or some poo poo. And then he'll be another suicide statistic.

Or he'll end up loving his 4 years of garrison infantry and the universe will collapse on itself and we'll all die in an apocalyptic warping of time dimensions.

Lol I don't know about the US military but I know here if someone decided to loving enlist with all that jazz I would make his life as miserable as possible as would every other NCO and Officer, and throw the "oh so were basically done in Afghanistan and NOW you want to enlist?" And make sure he's sent on every EUTM and crappy UN peacekeeping gig imaginable. Hope you like Africa, biatch

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I went through basic with a Doctor of Anthropology. Course Staff spent some of their free time looking up questions about his field, and punished us collectively if he got them wrong.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
We had two guys in my platoon, enlisted, who had their Bachelors already. One in business administration, the other in military history.

Great guys, never talked about their education and never looked down on the rest of us lowly high school grads.

This guy though.. Holy gently caress..

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
I went to Basic (en route to OCS) with a law degree. The drill sergeant promptly named me Perry Mason* and singled me out for special poo poo.

* - Except when he got mad and called me Benedict Arnold for a while. I still treasure the look on his face when I answered with "God save the queen, drill sergeant!"

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Dude needs to do some reading about the difference between NCOs and Officers if the reason he wants to go recon or specops but not as an officer is that he'll be missing important experience or whatever.

Also he's going to be making like half what he could as a civilian, even if he goes officer.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Civilian here, how exactly is that not leaving anything that vaguely looks like equipment behind supposed to work in a high intensity conflict? Hold half the army in reserve at all times to be combat garbage collectors for the other half?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Police your own stuff?

Or do you mean like in Korea when US forces were on a regrouping march to the coast, leaving equipment in their wake?