Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

mario is cute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013
I like goons trying to do the "You're one of the of the good ones" racist arguments but for anime

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I think it's hilarious how much goons hate anime when most of the things they play are anime as gently caress.

Goons hate anime. Just to make sure, they have to watch every anime ever multiple times just to be positive that it's all bad.

Like, Link's eyeliner game is pretty fierce, but otherwise you'd have to have a concussion to think that Zelda is the utmost animu desu.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My favorite anime game is Baldurs Gate.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The Taint Reaper posted:

Wonderful 101 wasn't part of Bayonetta nor was it owned by Sega. and Bayonetta 1 was a re-release that came with Bayonetta 2. Like You can't buy bayonetta 2 in America without Bayonetta 1 coming with it.

???
http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/oc8udawTwXkNOQX8XvOswZzRJCGdW9Pf

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Japanese children forced to slave away in the anime mines pass the day by singing "There are no animes in America" and dreaming of life on these fertile shores

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

quote:

Buy Bayonetta 2 from the Nintendo eShop for $49.99. Then, buy Bayonetta from the eShop at any time after that and you’ll receive an automatic discount, making the price for both games just $59.98.

it's the same price as the physical copy was originally. Now that's around 30-40 bucks and the physical copy only comes with both games.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Shops here in Finland have started listing Wii U 8G basic model+Splatoon-packages, so they're pushing it hard to the consumers. At least you can't say they didn't give it enough support.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Do FPS games lean more towards a Mario Kart style of netcode or would it be closer to Smash? It's not as simple as extrapolating forward movement, so I'm thinking it's closer to Smash, but I don't know that split second timing is essential to that type of game.

I'm asking because where I live, Mario Kart's online works great and Smash's is awful; I don't know if the single player campaign would be enough to justify a Splatoon purchase if it turns out the online is donked.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Argue posted:

I'm asking because where I live, Mario Kart's online works great and Smash's is awful; I don't know if the single player campaign would be enough to justify a Splatoon purchase if it turns out the online is donked.

Probably similar to Smash, since FPS (or TPS if you're being anal) tend to have a lot of stuff happening with some split second reactions. Mario Kart in comparison doesn't have that much traffic going on.

EDIT: Also, wi-fi sucks. Use a usb-ethernet adapter.

No. 1 Callie Fan fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 23, 2015

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
Kid Icarus used MKesque lagmasking, so I wouldn't be surprised if Splatoon did too, especially considering the focus is on attacking the environment and not other players

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

I said come in! posted:

My favorite anime game is Baldurs Gate.

I would watch an anime based on Baldur's Gate.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ikanreed posted:

Planescape Torment: The anime.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I think the goon anime problem has to do with a lot of the otaku weeaboo stereotype being huge pedo creeplords who are wayyy too into cartoons starring little girls and upskirts, when anime is like American animation in that is a huge genre with a million different types of shows. Goons probably want to distance themselves from those people and people who don't give a poo poo about anime just see them all as the aforementioned creeps, because they definitely do exist.

Personally I'm not a fan of most of it but I liked literally 2 shows (one being the Kirby anime, subbed. No creepy upskirt stuff, and as a bonus it had a hilarious flamingly gay snail in it)

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I like anime when it's not being creepy.

Why are we talking about anime?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

anyone who does not love anime should be fired into the gosh dang sun, in my opinion

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I unironically used to watch anime because, unlike every drat TV show in America, they would have a planned beginning and end. Tell a story in 13-26 episodes and finish it. I'm so tired of picking between "This show is making money... let's keep writing episodes until it's an absolute utter piece of poo poo." and "This show isn't making any money, let's kill it before giving it a proper conclusion."

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

John Cena loves Fist of the North Star and that's anime, so who am I to argue with John Cena?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ikanreed posted:

*You wake up in a small cage. You don't know how long you've been there, and the sounds of electricity and strange machinery echo in the distance*

Taint Reaper: It is time for more... Anime.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Maybe, maybe it's just a bad joke we keep reusing because we haven't come up with a good one in years and really here on SA we're just unfunny and pick on things to feel cool.

Or maybe every once in a while there's that one person who actually asks the dumb question "Why do goons hate anime?" and we all fall over each other to make jokes about anime.

What if anime is bad?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Would anyone like a Crunchyroll 2 day pass?

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Getting away from off topic Anime poo poo:

Am I just a joyless curmudgeon for not really getting into Super Mario 3D World? Like it's solid and all but it just feels eh, like a by the numbers Mario game without any surprises. I'm still going to finish it out of obligation, and I got it free with my Wii U so it's not like its a financial loss, but it just isn't doing it for me.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Cuckoo posted:

Am I just a joyless curmudgeon for not really getting into Super Mario 3D World? Like it's solid and all but it just feels eh, like a by the numbers Mario game without any surprises. I'm still going to finish it out of obligation, and I got it free with my Wii U so it's not like its a financial loss, but it just isn't doing it for me.
It's a good game but it's kinda just another by-the-book Mario game. You're probably just a little burnt out on them.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Cuckoo posted:

Getting away from off topic Anime poo poo:

Your opinion is in the minority, but I share some of it. I was so hyped by what people said in the Wii U threads "This is the best 3D Mario game of all time", and was definitely underwhelmed by it. It's middle of the pack in my opinion. I genuinely enjoyed New Super Mario Bros. U more than 3D World.

Edit: Cross post from the Videogames deal thread -

unl33t posted:

Best Buy's Deal of the Day today features a Wii U 32GB Console Super Mario 3D World and Nintendo Land Bundle - Black for $274.99

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Cuckoo posted:

Personally I'm not a fan of most [anime]

Cuckoo posted:

Am I just a joyless curmudgeon for not really getting into Super Mario 3D World?

call a doctor, or maybe an exorcist

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Fremry posted:

Your opinion is in the minority, but I share some of it. I was so hyped by what people said in the Wii U threads "This is the best 3D Mario game of all time", and was definitely underwhelmed by it. It's middle of the pack in my opinion. I genuinely enjoyed New Super Mario Bros. U more than 3D World.

I enjoyed NSMB Wii and what little I've played by NSMB Wii U but yeah, 3D world just seems underwhelming even though the cat power is awesome and some of the stages are really creative. Super Mario 64 is the real 3D world :colbert:

oddium posted:

call a doctor, or maybe an exorcist

I love Kirby and Donkey Kong's newer titles so there is still hope for my soul

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I don't like Super Mario 64. There I said it.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Cuckoo posted:

I enjoyed NSMB Wii and what little I've played by NSMB Wii U but yeah, 3D world just seems underwhelming even though the cat power is awesome and some of the stages are really creative. Super Mario 64 is the real 3D world :colbert:

I think that's the huge difference between people who loved it and people who didn't. Those of us who loved 3D Mario games because of the mission based/exploration type gameplay weren't huge fans of this game. People who love the "get to the end as fast as possible" gameplay loved it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

As a single player experience I found 3D World to be much worse than Galaxy 1 & 2 (the best 3D platformers ever made) but the multiplayer improved it a lot.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Golden Goat posted:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Fremry posted:

I think that's the huge difference between people who loved it and people who didn't. Those of us who loved 3D Mario games because of the mission based/exploration type gameplay weren't huge fans of this game. People who love the "get to the end as fast as possible" gameplay loved it.

I like the thing you said but would put Galaxy 2 above it in that regard. But that's ok.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

WHAT

WHA

:frogout:

No I can honestly see why some people might not like it. It didn't age well at all, it made you go through the same world 6 loving times, and it was a serious departure from the usual Mario formula. But I still loving love that game.

Andrast posted:

As a single player experience I found 3D World to be much worse than Galaxy 1 & 2 (the best 3D platformers ever made) but the multiplayer improved it a lot.

I could never get into the Galaxy games, or at least Galaxy 1. A half hour into playing and I'd get weird motion-sickness like symptoms and wanker's cramp. Maybe I'm just too old to Mario properly

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

elf help book posted:

I like the thing you said but would put Galaxy 2 above it in that regard. But that's ok.

I haven't played Galaxy 2 yet. But Galaxy didn't pull me in really well. I think it's because of the camera more than the gameplay though. I'm real bad at orienting myself when the camera goes all cattywampus.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Two things you don't gently caress with are goon's love for wrestling and anime.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

my kokoro wish is that the next mario is banjo-threeie. mario and fludd explore self-contained worlds for ten stars that are available in any order

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Fremry posted:

Counterpoint: I love the mission-based/exploration 3D Mario gameplay, and I still loved 3D World. It is my favorite Mario game.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

oddium posted:

my kokoro wish is that the next mario is banjo-threeie. mario and fludd explore self-contained worlds for ten stars that are available in any order

Would play the gently caress out of this

Is Galaxy 2 any easier on the eyes/stomach for giant babies like me who can handle roller coasters but not staring at a virtual world rotating? I know Galaxy 1 was halfway jizzing over the gimmick moreso than the gameplay itself, even though it was a great game, like when Mario 64 came out it was all about woooo3Dwoooo

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Fremry posted:

Actually that's spot on on why I like 3, 3D world and the NSMB games more then 64, Sunshine and Galaxy.
They're all still great games regardless.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

elf help book posted:

Would anyone like a Crunchyroll 2 day pass?

I'd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Silver Falcon posted:

Counterpoint: I love the mission-based/exploration 3D Mario gameplay, and I still loved 3D World. It is my favorite Mario game.

Yeah, I didn't mean it as a catch-all, but when we went through this conversation last time, that's the general idea I got out of it. I'm split where I like my 2D games to be to get to the end as fast as possible/minimal collection (I do like the star coins in the New Super Mario Bros. games) and my 3D games to be exploration based. Super Mario Sunshine was my favorite 3D mario game.

• Locked thread