Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I'd be happy with third party bits to make it possible to use all my NATO straps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Fine. I get it that we are not supposed to have just assumed that we are getting it on Friday because hey! - they gave us a two week date range. That is still nonsense as the date range included this Friday so it is not like they said "May 8th or maybe sooner." Then I get this email of death at 11pm on the Wednesday when I hoped to be getting an update.

I am now officially annoyed at this whole launch. I am tired of seeing celebrities sporting their custom watches while we are all left to try to figure out the patterns emerging from the Apple order system.

This no longer feels like earlier Apple product introductions and I am seriously beginning to wonder if this may finally be the "jump the shark" moment for Apple.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Dirk Pitt posted:

Fine. I get it that we are not supposed to have just assumed that we are getting it on Friday because hey! - they gave us a two week date range. That is still nonsense as the date range included this Friday so it is not like they said "May 8th or maybe sooner." Then I get this email of death at 11pm on the Wednesday when I hoped to be getting an update.

I am now officially annoyed at this whole launch. I am tired of seeing celebrities sporting their custom watches while we are all left to try to figure out the patterns emerging from the Apple order system.

This no longer feels like earlier Apple product introductions and I am seriously beginning to wonder if this may finally be the "jump the shark" moment for Apple.

I'm pretty sure I just got the same email as you then. "We're still working on your order. You'll get it when we loving feel like sending it to you."

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

"Alright guys, let's not get Drake this watch for publicity purposes, Sally Poopoo from Opalaka is getting her Watch 2 days late."

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Space Racist posted:

I'm really divided on color options. Sticking with a Sport, since I'm wary of spending much more on a first-gen product. That said, I don't really care for any of the band colors paired with the silver case, but it seems like it would be a nicer match for any of the pricier bands. Taken in a vacuum, I really like the space grey case with black band, but that case color seems like it would be awkward with, say, a Milanese loop or modern buckle band.

Anyone work through a similar dilemma before preordering?
Kinda, but I was like gently caress it, go Raiders. I ordered stainless black and a Milanese loop. And a white sport band. I'll find out how they all go together in July :v:

BGrifter posted:

I'd be happy with third party bits to make it possible to use all my NATO straps.
I don't have any myself but got interested in some decent looking NATO straps recently. When I thought about buying one and whatever adapter I realized, wouldn't they cover up the heart rate monitor? Or is there some method to wrapping them around without going directly under the watch?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

japtor posted:

I don't have any myself but got interested in some decent looking NATO straps recently. When I thought about buying one and whatever adapter I realized, wouldn't they cover up the heart rate monitor? Or is there some method to wrapping them around without going directly under the watch?

I could live with being unable to send my heartbeat to goons to have a nice looking NATO strap, but that is a good point. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what some third party manufacturer comes up with in that style that doesn't cover the back.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Well I was thinking of one instead of a sport strap, but you indirectly made me think of another possible issue in general use. I'm guessing it might also screw with the haptic feedback with the strap acting as a little buffer to dampen the effect. And I guess Apple Pay and anything else that relies on skin contact.

japtor fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 23, 2015

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Some shops (high end fashion boutiques, no Apple stores) are gonna have in-store stock it turns out. 9to5mac link

I'm half tempted to go to the Berlin shop tomorrow and take a look how they deal with scalpers lining up.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

XyrlocShammypants posted:

"Alright guys, let's not get Drake this watch for publicity purposes, Sally Poopoo from Opalaka is getting her Watch 2 days late."

People are wayyyyyyy too upset about this whole celebrity thing. Like it's all over the MacRumors, etc, and it seems super weird/petty. Like you may as well get mad at all the Apple employees wearing them around the city, or reviewers getting devices to test.

I want the watch I ordered at 12:05 as much as the next thousand people who ordered at the same time, but we're probably talking about a quantity of watches that probably doesn't even break the low-100s.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Woo I got a shipping number! Delivery tomorrow bitchess

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Dirk Pitt posted:

I get it that we are not supposed to have just assumed that we are getting it on Friday because hey! - they gave us a two week date range.

Apparently this is an incorrect statement.

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007

chaosbreather posted:

East Coast? I'm in the Philly area and still haven't gotten anything.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

chaosbreather posted:

Hey I got my tracking too (and I was in the mid-late May range) originally. Shows as in transit with no expected delivery date :allears:

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

WaffleStomp posted:

East Coast? I'm in the Philly area and still haven't gotten anything.

Yeah of course East Coast. Of Australia, obviously.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Stop posting shipment updates.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

ultramiraculous posted:

People are wayyyyyyy too upset about this whole celebrity thing. Like it's all over the MacRumors, etc, and it seems super weird/petty. Like you may as well get mad at all the Apple employees wearing them around the city, or reviewers getting devices to test.

I want the watch I ordered at 12:05 as much as the next thousand people who ordered at the same time, but we're probably talking about a quantity of watches that probably doesn't even break the low-100s.

There's never been a problem getting the legions of nerds and mouth breathing Apple fan boys to order the Apple Watch but I believe the celebrity handouts are key to generated mass appeal for the watch from the pleb masses which in the end is very good for the health of the wearables scene.

Also who gives a poo poo, Apple employees might as well count as a closed beta test.

Also:

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I'm guessing there'll be custom Apple Watch NATO straps that have sensor cutouts. There's not much reason to think there won't be just as much (if not more) variety in the Apple Watch third party band market as there is in the iPhone case market.

The most hilarious part about all the Apple Watch rage on MacRumors right now is people go totally over the top about how they've been "lied to," or Apple should stop with the "celebrity hand-outs" and literally every other totally insane thing you could imagine in between... But are they deciding to vote with their wallet and cancel their Apple Watch orders because of these injustices? gently caress no, you're looking at grown men having temper tantrums. My personal favorite is this guy who is using the last few pennies of available credit he has to buy the Apple Watch- http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1869526

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
It seems that if you ordered either watch in Space Gray (like I did with the sport), you're pretty screwed right now in terms of getting it tomorrow.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

io_burn posted:

I'm guessing there'll be custom Apple Watch NATO straps that have sensor cutouts. There's not much reason to think there won't be just as much (if not more) variety in the Apple Watch third party band market as there is in the iPhone case market.

The most hilarious part about all the Apple Watch rage on MacRumors right now is people go totally over the top about how they've been "lied to," or Apple should stop with the "celebrity hand-outs" and literally every other totally insane thing you could imagine in between... But are they deciding to vote with their wallet and cancel their Apple Watch orders because of these injustices? gently caress no, you're looking at grown men having temper tantrums. My personal favorite is this guy who is using the last few pennies of available credit he has to buy the Apple Watch- http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1869526

I spent about 10 minutes last night reading through some of the threads on MacRumors, and I feel much better about some of my lovely life choices now. People are calling for Angela Whatever her last name is to be fired for this whole "debacle". I want my watch as soon as possible, just like everyone else. It sucks that I ordered mine literally 30 seconds after the Apple store app came back up, and I don't have have a shipping confirmation yet, but a co-worker that ordered 5 hours later (exact same thing I did), who was given a June shipment date just got his shipping confirmation. But reading through some of those threads you would think that Tim Cook went to these people's houses and raped their mothers, killed their dog, burnt their house down, and then pissed on the ashes.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

DJCobol posted:

I spent about 10 minutes last night reading through some of the threads on MacRumors, and I feel much better about some of my lovely life choices now. People are calling for Angela Whatever her last name is to be fired for this whole "debacle". I want my watch as soon as possible, just like everyone else. It sucks that I ordered mine literally 30 seconds after the Apple store app came back up, and I don't have have a shipping confirmation yet, but a co-worker that ordered 5 hours later (exact same thing I did), who was given a June shipment date just got his shipping confirmation. But reading through some of those threads you would think that Tim Cook went to these people's houses and raped their mothers, killed their dog, burnt their house down, and then pissed on the ashes.

What's always amazing to me about the weird "gimme gimme gimme" attitude of these people is how they're looking for any possible opportunity to feel slighted. Apple, as a publicly traded company whose goal is to sell products and turn a profit, wants to ship as many of these watches as fast as they possibly can. Somewhere though, there's some kind of disconnect that Apple isn't shipping their watch because (insert laundry list of insanity here).

Edit: Seems like Apple just flipped the Apple Watch software switch, everything is live now in the App Store, Apple Watch App Store, and even Test Flight for Apple Watch junk. ...Now I just need mine to ship $TEVE!!! :argh:

io_burn fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 23, 2015

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

io_burn posted:

What's always amazing to me about the weird "gimme gimme gimme" attitude of these people is how they're looking for any possible opportunity to feel slighted. Apple, as a publicly traded company whose goal is to sell products and turn a profit, wants to ship as many of these watches as fast as they possibly can. Somewhere though, there's some kind of disconnect that Apple isn't shipping their watch because (insert laundry list of insanity here).

Edit: Seems like Apple just flipped the Apple Watch software switch, everything is live now in the App Store, Apple Watch App Store, and even Test Flight for Apple Watch junk. ...Now I just need mine to ship $TEVE!!! :argh:

Apple fanatics just need to know that their loyalty and sacrifice of ordering as soon as possible and standing in long rear end lines are valued and rewarded. I can't front that I'm not a little pissed that I stayed up, ordered at 3:02am eastern and given a 5/13 ship date when some rear end in a top hat that decided to try on the watch first, ordered his at 3:00pm is getting one tomorrow.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

gohmak posted:

Apple fanatics just need to know that their loyalty and sacrifice of ordering as soon as possible and standing in long rear end lines are valued and rewarded. I can't front that I'm not a little pissed that I stayed up, ordered at 3:02am eastern and given a 5/13 ship date when some rear end in a top hat that decided to try on the watch first, ordered his at 3:00pm is getting one tomorrow.
Who is the hypothetical rear end in a top hat in the scenario? The people who are getting them sooner are people who ordered different versions with more supply than demand. Don't be mad at him or Apple that you wanted the same watch that 80% of all other people also wanted.

G5ANDY
Sep 19, 2004

Yeah, let's focus on what's really important. Apple Watch Erotica: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Invaded-iWatch-Erotic-Digital-Desires-ebook/dp/B00V2WXYO4

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

G5ANDY posted:

Yeah, let's focus on what's really important. Apple Watch Erotica: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Invaded-iWatch-Erotic-Digital-Desires-ebook/dp/B00V2WXYO4

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Good lord you sent me clicking and first I see "Conquered by Clippy: An Erotic Short Story" and apparently readers of that also bought "But... You're a Horse."

I hate you.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

suddenlyissoon posted:

It seems that if you ordered either watch in Space Gray (like I did with the sport), you're pretty screwed right now in terms of getting it tomorrow.

Eh, it's a disappointing since I would have liked to have it tomorrow, but at this point people should have the expectations that ordering for an Apple launch day is always a roll of the dice, plus you have to factor in a whole new product for this launch.

I still remember when they launched the 5C they had such an overstock because Apple overestimated who would get a 5C on launch. Business wise I wouldn't blame them for being conservative on how many watches they make, and low supply only drives up demand anyway.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Business wise I wouldn't blame them for being conservative on how many watches they make, and low supply only drives up demand anyway.

I'm guessing it's probably also related to the number of SKUs they have to put together between material/size/color (with preorders potentially not matching initial predictions based on which production ramp-up happens). If you think about it, no company, ever has launched a product like this before.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
I understand why they did, but bundling the strap with the watch in one actual retail package also likely caused a huge headache with production and distribution. If they were able to simply ship the single watch unit along with whatever strap you wanted with it, it seems like that would help alleviate some of the bottlenecking they're experiencing. It's not exactly the "Apple experience" having the band for your watch come in a different box, but man it seems a lot easier from a logistical standpoint.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
As you said:

coldplay chiptunes posted:

It's not exactly the "Apple experience"

:).

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

Eh, it's a disappointing since I would have liked to have it tomorrow, but at this point people should have the expectations that ordering for an Apple launch day is always a roll of the dice, plus you have to factor in a whole new product for this launch.
I know the watch is a totally new product, but usually Apple product releases are fairly well structured. You almost always either got a delivery date when you were going to get your stuff, unless you ordered late, or if you didn't or couldn't pre-order, you could always take your chances at an Apple store, or even a Best Buy or AT&T or Verizon store. The only recent product release that I remember that didn't go well was the iPhone 6/6+ where the store didn't come back up until hours after it was supposed to for some people, and by the time it did, you weren't getting a phone for at least a few weeks. At least there though you could go wait in line at a store and probably walk out with one like I did.

This time, you can't do that. And trying to make sense of who ordered what configuration, when, where that person is, and who is getting shipping confirmations is pointless, because there appears to be no rhyme or reason. More than likely everyone who got a delivery date range will get their watches within that range. Yeah, Apple is living up to what they promised, but this launch after the hosed up iPhone 6 launch sucks to see after years of ordering iPhones and iPads and having 0 problems getting my shiny new toy the first day.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I can't believe* this thread has so many new posts talking about when/who/where/why with regards to shipping of a watch.

* I kid. I definitely believe it.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Thermopyle posted:

I can't believe* this thread has so many new posts talking about when/who/where/why with regards to shipping of a watch.

* I kid. I definitely believe it.

Lock the thread until the watch has shipped and arrived to everyone in who bought one in this thread. Boom, problem solved.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Drastic Actions posted:

Lock the thread until the watch has shipped and arrived to everyone in who bought one in this thread. Boom, problem solved.

See ya next year folks!

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

gohmak posted:

I can't front that I'm not a little pissed that I stayed up, ordered at 3:02am eastern and given a 5/13 ship date when some rear end in a top hat that decided to try on the watch first, ordered his at 3:00pm is getting one tomorrow.

But here's the thing with this, you ordered the specific watch you wanted based on watch case, band style, size, etc. Would you have preferred if you could have just bought your Apple Watch like buying concert tickets from Ticketmaster and just get shuffled into first/best available? I see the annoyance, don't get me wrong (especially as someone with a who knows when link bracelet order), but would you have chosen a different watch if it meant getting it a few days earlier? For something that's going to be on your wrist all day, that seems like an odd thing to compromise on.

Also http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1871764

io_burn fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 23, 2015

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
"I really think Apple lied to some of us. From what i read her there isnt a single person that ordered a Space Grey 42mm black sport band on april 10 in the first 5min that will be delivered on the 24th ... so no matters what was said on the confirmation mail or when we place the order one information was false since the beginning : WATCH AVAILABLE 04.24.2015 ... for this particular model that s false advertisement .... i wish a class action lawyer would be willing to sue their rear end !!! to me this is the worst apple product launch ever !!!"

Mac Rumors :allears:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This would have never happened under Steve Jabs.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I would love to be a fly on the wall listening to the phone conversation between that guy and an actual lawyer as he explains his case against greedy ol' Apple.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

io_burn posted:

I would love to be a fly on the wall listening to the phone conversation between that guy and an actual lawyer as he explains his case against greedy ol' Apple.

"But but... Beyoncé :sadwave:"

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Pics of the Sport Watch packaging are coming out: https://instagram.com/p/11ctslowMT/?taken-by=melfirbank

• Locked thread