Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Habibi posted:

Is there a thread for that? Because I just read the mod description on their site and holy :stare:

Valiantman did an LP of it that has been sitting unread in my bookmarks forever; it might be worth a shot.

The Civfanatics FFH forum isn't bad, but those guys have a pretty encyclopedic knowledge of the mod, so it can be hard to find a good overview of everything aimed at beginners. If you do start playing, I'm happy to answer what I can, and I know some other goons are familiar with it as well.

Overall, it's still probably my favorite Civ experience, inclusive of all the official titles.

ninja edit: Since this is a new page, I'm referring to the Fall from Heaven 2 mod for Civ4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Civ4 expansion boosts you both horizontally and vertically. A city that claims a luxury boosts the city sizes of all your cities.

UncertainKitten
Oct 10, 2012

Athaboros posted:

Ask and ye shall receive! New version up here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/0ognxo6m0o4ufb5/QoL_Modpack_v5.zip

Included mods:

pre:
	- Antiquity Sites Icon Finder (v.1): allows filtering the resources view to show only antiquities
	- Civ-Linked Great Generals (v.7): adds new great general names based on owner's civilization
	- Dynamic Culture Overview (v.6): reads culture from included mods (by request)
	- Expanded Civilopedia Entries (v.34): fixes typos and outdated information, explains mechanics
	- Gibraltar and Reef Optimizations (v.1): tweaks Gibraltar/reef placements to fix mapgen issues
	- Great Prophet Historical Names (v.30): gives prophets names in the fashion of generals, etc.
	- Historical Religions Edit (v.44): adds many new choices for religions
	- InfoAddict (v.22): adds interface elements that provide more information to the player
	- Krajzen's Great Musicians Pack (v.1): adds new great works of music for flavor
	- Krakatoa Fix (v.100): tweaks Krakatoa placement to fix some map generation issues
	- More Great Works (v.3): adds many new artist and writer great works
	- Quick Turns (v.10): automatically skips AI unit movement/combat based on player-set criteria
	- R.E.D. Modpack (v.28 unofficial): adds flavor graphics and rescales units based on civ
	- R.E.D. Smaller Landmarks (v.5): makes buildings/improvements scale relative to units
	- Unique Cultural Influnece (v.4): makes culture influence messages different by civ
As always, I'm open to suggestions for other mods to include. I'm only including things that don't (within reason) change base gameplay, so no new civs, policy alterations, or anything like that. Other ideas welcome, though!

EDIT: Updated slightly because I accidentally took out a file, making the QuickTurns UI element disappear. It's back in now.

Oh, thanks! I'm a little leery of the natural wonder fixes (In the grumpiest voice you can imagine "If Firaxis WANTED us to work those wonders they'd have designed them to generate in workable territory to start with >=[") but overall this still keeps the game "as written" in 99.9% of ways, while still making the UI actually useable and adding some nicer flavor/immersion stuff. I know it's silly to fall back to "But that's how the game was designed!" when the game isn't exactly made tightly, but I guess I just feel like all out gameplay mods isn't really to my taste, at least using DLC modpacks for them, so, this pack basically is perfect for how I like to play. Thanks again for putting this together.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
As I understand, you can just pluck the Krakatoa fix out and it will be back to lovely and useless as before. :v:

UncertainKitten
Oct 10, 2012

Bogart posted:

As I understand, you can just pluck the Krakatoa fix out and it will be back to lovely and useless as before. :v:

JUST AS IT WAS MEANT TO BE >=[.

(I take it the natural wonder mods don't hook deeply enough into the core to cause problems if removed, then? I might not, just, it'd be good to keep track.)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

UncertainKitten posted:

Oh, thanks! I'm a little leery of the natural wonder fixes (In the grumpiest voice you can imagine "If Firaxis WANTED us to work those wonders they'd have designed them to generate in workable territory to start with >=[")

Krakatoa’s code, at least, is pretty clearly broken.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Athaboros: Is there a reason you opted for Krakatoa and Gibraltar/Reef mods separately, as opposed to the 'Gibraltar, reef, and krakatoa' fixes mod by the same guy?

I could have sworn they patched it all the same.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 21, 2015

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Poizen Jam posted:

Athaboros: Is there a reason you opted for Krakatoa and Gibraltar/Reef mods separately, as opposed to the 'Gibraltar, reef, and krakatoa' fixes mod by the same guy?

Probably not; he may have just created that after I made the original pack. If it's unnecessary, I can just remove it and update the pack, or if the other is better I can use it instead.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
The nastiest use of Terracotta I've ever seen was Filthy Robot playing Venice in a multiplayer game. He set his army up so that the next turn it would Terracotta to attack his neighbor, and then the turn before it finished he bought a city state that was positioned to open a second front rather far away from his main army, that also prompt got the Terracotta bonus. The sudden boost to his army score and practical warring ability was insane and he just rolled the guy.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Athaboros posted:

Several of the mods in my pack are incompatible with multiplayer; I wouldn't be surprised if that was one of them. I know for sure that Historical Religions causes problems, and I agree that QT probably would as well, given how it functions. I don't play multiplayer (and haven't tested for it), but every once in a while someone will give it a shot and let me know what does/doesn't work. The mods in the pack are usually functionally independent, so you can "remove" one by deleting its folder and, if it doesn't hook too deeply into the core game, it usually won't throw errors.

Poizen Jam posted:

Holy poo poo you can do this?! I've been recompiling every time I wanted to check for mods crashing the pack. So many wasted hours.

Might not work for removing Civs though, what with the XML modding.

Athaboros posted:

I suspect it's not a "recommended" way of doing things. I haven't checked in to how stable it is, but I know I've had some success doing this with some of the "lighter" mods (like InfoAddict). YMMV, I guess.

Luas and UI XMLs can be removed with no issues, but gameplay XML/SQL will stick around because the modpack compiler will create its own XML based on the final modded database. Thus pure UI mods have zero problems, while others will depend on what exactly they do.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 22, 2015

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Lightning Knight posted:

The nastiest use of Terracotta I've ever seen was Filthy Robot playing Venice in a multiplayer game. He set his army up so that the next turn it would Terracotta to attack his neighbor, and then the turn before it finished he bought a city state that was positioned to open a second front rather far away from his main army, that also prompt got the Terracotta bonus. The sudden boost to his army score and practical warring ability was insane and he just rolled the guy.

Link this video of Filthy rolling someone with Venice.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The problem with Terracotta Army is that you have to have some medieval units on the field for it to be worthwhile (it’s cheaper to just build classical units directly), but AIs love it and so do inexperienced players, so it’s often built prematurely.

Phobophilia posted:

Link this video of Filthy rolling someone with Venice.

I believe it was this game.

e: It was, rolling starts midway through the second video.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 22, 2015

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I've solved the Inuit Desync issue with the help of ViceVirtuoso and Kyte. Many thanks to both of you. Updated Modpack will be uploaded within the week.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
My friend and I have played a few more short games with the Civ 5 GoonPak. Still glowing reviews! It's definitely a lot of fun, and adds a lot of variety to the factions.

With that in mind, here's a few bug reports:

I fought against the Mapuche (Latauro) and despite seizing / razing all of their cities the AI never died. I thought it might have to do with their unique terrain enhancement, which creates a special culture tile of sovereign Mapuche territory wherever one of their units dies. Those tiles remained Mapuche territory even after I killed all their cities, which was particularly aggravating since the tiles were originally MY territory. Interestingly there was one tile that I pillaged during the war, and that one stopped being their territory when I seized their city and razed it. So if any of you get into the same kind of conflict, then please pillage away. They might have had some extra units around, I don't know, but they definitely didn't have a city, since I declared a peace with them and exchanged embassies, and there was still nothing. Weirdness.

I am currently playing as the Nri (Eri) and their Mburichi unique Great Merchant was supposed to spawn after Writing (or some early tech) and never did. I built their special building the Bronze Caster, but I didn't have any iron for the building to convert to Copper. I saw the option for their unique ability to use Faith to influence City States, though I was never able to use it since I needed more religious influence first, and that seems to be working.

We've had several single and multiplayer games with a variety of the new civilizations, and things seem to be pretty stable. Lots of resyncs, but only one crash (and that was probably due to my friend switching back and forth to her music player too much). She did mention that she tried doing the Civ 5 scenarios (I'm not sure which one first, since she tried several, but I know that she played The Wonders of the Ancient World) with the GoonPak installed, and that it prevents them from working. But she was able to quickly remove the GoonPak and they'd work just fine, so it wasn't a big deal.

In spite of these minor difficulties, we've had lots of fun so far. I'd definitely consider it to be well worth checking out. Keep up the good work!

Kaal fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 23, 2015

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Thanks for the bug-reports once again. Faith based abilities are... Sketchy at best when it comes to modded Civs. If nothing can be done to fix the Nri's ability I might opt to remove it.

As for Mapuche, I haven't witnessed them in game yet. As you can imagine with 60 Civs and myself and my girlfriend playing there are some serious restrictions on our ability to do large scale testing. My main goal was to get rid of the constant resyncs and crashes, so now I can start bugfixing and balancing Civs, adding new interesting ones and deleting the unfixable ones, and maybe doing my own little balance patches.

So I'm playtesting the Inuit right now, and they have the potential to be completely OP. I got probably the most optimal start imaginable for them, packed with resources, and scored Goddess of the Hunt and Hanging Gardens as well. It lead to this silliness:

Note the Inuksuk- it grants bonus food to all surrounding snow and tundra tiles. Including mountains.

Note the year, and my capital population.

Edit: I've spend much of this game testing various functions so no, I'm not playing anywhere near optimally, as evidenced by the trade routes and science output.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 23, 2015

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Poizen Jam posted:

Thanks for the bug-reports once again. Faith based abilities are... Sketchy at best when it comes to modded Civs. If nothing can be done to fix the Nri's ability I might opt to remove it. As for Mapuche, I haven't witnessed them in game yet. As you can imagine with 60 Civs and myself and my girlfriend playing there are some serious restrictions on our ability to do large scale testing. My main goal was to get rid of the constant resyncs and crashes, so now I can start bugfixing and balancing Civs, adding new interesting ones and deleting the unfixable ones, and maybe doing my own little balance patches.

Sweet! Yeah I totally understand. I mean it's not like you even coded these civs in the first place. While of course you want to have the best modpack that you can make, I definitely don't expect you to be out the bug fixing (I mean I'm certainly not jumping into the code myself :cool:). I just figure that as long as I'm playing these civs I'll mention any possible bugs I come across for whatever help that might be.

edit: Bugs AND things I like I mean. I played a game as Stalin the other day and it was kicking rad. The AI had a very strong reaction to his attritional ability, and basically refused to enter my territory once it was established. I had a great game where I got forward settled by the Mapuche and my friend, then expanded down into a desert oasis with a Great Engineer>Petra, only to be declared on by Italy and then later Great Britain. But thanks to his unique ability and a small roving army of crossbowmen, pikemen and trebuchets, I was able to throw back three successive invasions (while my friend happily settled a third of the map, that twerp). We ended the game when I had effectively conquered all three of their empires, and the rest of the world was completely terrified of me and my army, meaning that I'd probably spend the rest of the game campaigning while my friend twiddled her thumbs. Never invade Soviet Russia in the winter indeed.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 23, 2015

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Speaking of Stalin, I really like how his UA makes going wide very attractive. Area control can actually wreck people specifically because of that ability- who gives a poo poo if I lose a city or two initially, when you sacrifice half your drat army to invade me? I'll just bide my time and steamroll you after attrition weakens your sorry rear end.

The counter, of course, is to stack your army with guys with the Medic promotion before invading Stalin, and he's still vulnerable to sea and air, but drat is it ever neat. And if you get the Great Wall? Forget about invaders from the land until dynamite.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Poizen Jam posted:

Speaking of Stalin, I really like how his UA makes going wide very attractive. Area control can actually wreck people specifically because of that ability- who gives a poo poo if I lose a city or two initially, when you sacrifice half your drat army to invade me? I'll just bide my time and steamroll you after attrition weakens your sorry rear end.

The counter, of course, is to stack your army with guys with the Medic promotion before invading Stalin, and he's still vulnerable to sea and air, but drat is it ever neat. And if you get the Great Wall? Forget about invaders from the land until dynamite.

Did they ever fix it to where the Great Wall obsoletes when someone else researches Dynamite? I fell off the thread for a long time.

E: oh, and are there any places with good multiplayer tips/strategy? I've been playing with some buddies that are still new to the game, and even though I'm the big(ish) fish in a small pond, I feel like I'm not playing as well as I could.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 23, 2015

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I don't think that's ever been the case for dynamite- the GW is obsoleted when you research dynamite.

Honestly the way you described would make more sense, or maybe nullifying its effects for any player who has researched dynamite.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Its been a long time since i've played and lost all my mad skills. What do i need to know about getting a good start and not rushed?

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 23, 2015

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Priority focus: Growth, science, everything else.

Practically this means National College is absolutely essential, and Tradition remains king despite the more recent nerf.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Baron Porkface posted:

its been a long time since i've played and lost all my mad skills. What do i need to know about getting a good start and not rushed?

Build at least enough composite archers to fortify each of your cities, as well as a couple of spearmen to rove around, and keep them upgraded - that's a bare minimum, and assumes that you've got enough cash flow to buy more troops before an enemy eats your traders. Don't head into the Renaissance thinking that two archers and a warrior are capable of defending four cities. People really underestimate the value of having a small army to keep other players honest. Sure it slows your economy down a bit, but so does an invasion that you can't defend against. This is true in singleplayer as well, since the AI does recognize if you have an army and that does affect how aggressive they are. Also, if you're on a sea map then build some sea defences - I can't tell you how many times I've basically won the game with a half-assed frigate rush just because no one else bothered to build a navy.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I always wondered how powerful a Polynesian Galleass rush would be in multiplayer. Or in general.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Gort posted:

I always wondered how powerful a Polynesian Galleass rush would be in multiplayer. Or in general.

It can take a couple of cities pretty well, and the main disadvantage of attacking with Galleasses (the coastal limitation messing with your naval access to cities) is averted by the Polynesian's unique ability. But it lacks the intensity and staying power of a Frigate rush that allows you to pull the same trick on two or three civs before they can react sufficiently to the threat.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
There's little more satisfying in Civ than a Ship O The Line beatdown

Except maybe a battering ram rush :black101:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Poizen Jam posted:

There's little more satisfying in Civ than a Ship O The Line beatdown

Oh England, you're my favorite Civ and don't forget it. :britain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN9EC3Gy6Nk

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The other issue with galleass rushing I guess would be that it's too early in the game for you to really have enough happiness to deal with the cities you might conquer. Good for beating down a potential rival though, I guess. Even if they take their capital back it'll still set them back enormously.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
So I wonder how many mods for this game will become pay-to-use.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I wonder how many Skyrim players are about to get ripshit pissed off when they're suddenly told they have to pay a total of something like $350 to keep using the 50 mods they've been using for years.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
What idiot decided this would be a good idea? And aren't game creators going to hate the poo poo out of this?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
can't wait to spend $10 to give alexander tits

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Poizen Jam posted:

What idiot decided this would be a good idea? And aren't game creators going to hate the poo poo out of this?

As long as they get a kickback (in the Steam thread they were saying something like 75% to be divided between the developer and Valve), I doubt the studios will mind.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Poizen Jam posted:

There's nothing really fundamentally wrong with modders getting paid for their work (especially in a world where there's mods that have had more work put into them than some full games between full conversions, giant content overhauls, etc) and I don't know why so many people have such a kneejerk negative response to it.

But I've always been someone who (even when I'm broke) tries to support creators of poo poo I like.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Poizen Jam posted:

I don't think that's ever been the case for dynamite- the GW is obsoleted when you research dynamite.

Honestly the way you described would make more sense, or maybe nullifying its effects for any player who has researched dynamite.

In Civ IV, there were a lot of wonders that went obsolete when their owner researched a certain tech.

As of Civ V, Great Wall is the only wonder left that goes obsolete, but it sticks to the old pattern.

I kind of like it, honestly. Artillery rushes are devastating, but the Great Wall gives its owner an opportunity to either catch up with dynamite of their own or stall for Infantry. Even with the Great Wall in effect, it’s not easy to hold against artillery without artillery of one’s own.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Flagrant Abuse posted:

So how are they going to enforce this, exactly? I mean, if someone makes a mod and charges money for it, then I make a mod that does more or less the same thing but give it away for free afterwards, would my mod get removed afterwards? Do mod creators who charge money get a "copyright" on the idea the mod uses to protect them from people making a similar/identical mod and releasing it for free? I can't see how this won't be a massive clusterfuck of drama and death threats when people who charge money for the simplest of mods get outcompeted by people making the exact same stuff but for free.

It'll be glorious.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The White Dragon posted:

As long as they get a kickback (in the Steam thread they were saying something like 75% to be divided between the developer and Valve), I doubt the studios will mind.

By all reports, Valve was very "whatever" about it and it was Bethesda that pushed hard for this.

flatluigi posted:

There's nothing really fundamentally wrong with modders getting paid for their work (especially in a world where there's mods that have had more work put into them than some full games between full conversions, giant content overhauls, etc) and I don't know why so many people have such a kneejerk negative response to it.

Because when it's done in a very badly-handled, anti-consumer manner like it is being done for Skyrim's workshop, it has ramifications beyond just "oh, joe blow can get a few pennies for his tits mod".

Donations (yes, I'm aware this is infrequently used) and poo poo like Patreon already exist, and aren't A) enormous screwjobs to the modders (you don't get anything until you have at least $400 in sales and then only get 25% of the sales unlike something like Patreon where you get 92% of whatever's donated) and B) enormous screwjobs to the consumers (between the "well if it's broken, send the modder a polite message! :downs:" take on broken mods, the publisher of the game having full curative control over the workshop including being able to forbid free mods at all, and any refunds being returned in company scrip).

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Hey, just imagine the money to be made from it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ahaha, you glorious mofo, that's great.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

This is wonderful :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

:vince:
Why hasn't Firaxis hired you yet or something?

• Locked thread