Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Played both new cups on 200cc this morning. Hit the walls more than I have in a very long time. I might have to switch from bike to kart when I play later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Man I hate you have to unlock 200 CC by getting Gold in every 150 CC map. It just sucks when you are going to get gold only to get hit by a spike turtle shell, hit by a lightning bolt, then a bomb dropped by you. And any item you get afterwards is either the coin or single mushroom.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Maple Leaf posted:

e: the Blooper is a devastating weapon now.

Yeah, the way it slightly fucks with your controls takes it from mildly annoying to devastating at those speeds. And you thought the Lightning Bolt was bad. :allears:

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Rirse posted:

Man I hate you have to unlock 200 CC by getting Gold in every 150 CC map. It just sucks when you are going to get gold only to get hit by a spike turtle shell, hit by a lightning bolt, then a bomb dropped by you. And any item you get afterwards is either the coin or single mushroom.

getting Gold is easy; lots of practice is key so you can recover from that BS. lightweight karts are good for acceleration if you get hosed over a lot.
getting three stars... also relatively easy, if you can get gold.

This is probably common knowledge, but the only criteria for a 3 star grand prix is to get all 60 points. too bad stars mean nothing in this game

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Grandpa Goodtimes posted:

EDIT: Are we going to have new Goonvitational in honor of 200cc and complete DLC?

this would be nice, considering the old one is archived last I checked

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

As much as I hate to admit it you have to put up with a lot of unfair bullshit if you want to enjoy this game. I'm trying to get all 3 stars on 150cc right now and was just foiled on one cup by a last-corner lightning. The more skilled you are the more the game punishes you.

e: btw this isn't necessarily meant to be a criticism so much as just...it is what it is. obviously this isn't a serious enough series for the unfairness to be a huge issue, but being that this is the only game I'm actually really good at it would be nice to have that mean something. oh well!

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 23, 2015

sayonara chainsaw
Sep 27, 2013
So after doing a couple of Grand Prix runs, I feel like the lightweights have an easier time with 200cc.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahaha MK Stadium in 200cc you can aaaalmost get to the finish line while still in the air

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Bown posted:

hahaha MK Stadium in 200cc you can aaaalmost get to the finish line while still in the air

I was wondering about that. I go heavy and holy poo poo the air I can catch now is scary

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
I haven't played any of the DLC tracks before today and I'm launching headfirst into 200cc with them.

What the hell even is a Dragon Driftway.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Wondering if the 200cc is going to make lower speed, higher acceleration karts viable?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Wondering if the 200cc is going to make lower speed, higher acceleration karts viable?

I play as Toad/Toadette with almost maxed out acceleration online and can win consistently in rooms with 10,000+ vr dudes using Morton/Bowser. just use whoever you like

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Maple Leaf posted:

I haven't played any of the DLC tracks before today and I'm launching headfirst into 200cc with them.

What the hell even is a Dragon Driftway.

It's where Lakitu trains his Kung fu skills.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Waltzing Along posted:

I've been experimenting with setups like that and it's like it doesn't even make a difference, every speed rating on 200cc is "fuckin' fast"

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Kirios posted:

Would anyone complain if I said this was the best Mario Kart ever? Because it is.

Yeah, I'm not sure if there's a better Mario Kart than this one. The handheld games are decent but something about playing a race game on a handheld just makes my hands cramp up. The original and N64 games were good for their time (though the N64 version has aged really poorly), and Double Dash was good but I never cared for the two-driver gimmick.

Mario Kart 8 for life, yo.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

I play as Toad/Toadette with almost maxed out acceleration online and can win consistently in rooms with 10,000+ vr dudes using Morton/Bowser. just use whoever you like

Yeah low speed carts obviously turn much better and their slide boosts are more powerful than the heavy guys, so it evens out. I play middle/heavy so I have to really turn early and end up wide in places where the little guys can hug the corner and boost hard out of it. Just depends on the course & your style.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I play as Roy with the Circuit Special kart, Azure Roller wheels, and Hylian Kite. Where do I rank in weight overall?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

DK Jungle on 200cc is loving perfect

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

200 cc is the greatest thing. I barely managed to scrape a gold on the first cup I did.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Astro7x posted:

I had to start the game, download the update, install the update, start the game, download the DLC, install the DLC. 4 step process unfortunately.

It wouldn't let me download the update from in the game, when I went to the "shop" option it just said "DLC coming soon!" I had to get the DLC the same way I got the Hyrule Warriors DLC: go into the eShop, look at Mario Kart, then look at DLC, and once I went into the DLC menu it would show "preparing" and then start downloading.

Of course then it downloaded to the memory stick I had (whereas MK8 is on my system) so when I started Mario Kart, it had to download from the memory stick to the system, then install, then install AGAIN on the system, THEN prepare the DLC for use. It was pretty frustrating.

And playing online again only served to remind me I am literally the worst at Mario Kart. Still a lot of fun.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Did anyone make a room?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Making one now but I've never really done it before. If I want it to be open 24/7 do I just set it to weekly and then the start/end date are Monday midnight and Sunday 11:30pm or whatever?

edit: well, this is it right now:

Goons Go Fast
7933-5030-2021

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Kaethela posted:

I tried to add you but you've disabled incoming friend requests.

Whoops I'm actually nolanw

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Bown posted:

Making one now but I've never really done it before. If I want it to be open 24/7 do I just set it to weekly and then the start/end date are Monday midnight and Sunday 11:30pm or whatever?

edit: well, this is it right now:

Goons Go Fast
7933-5030-2021

For the most part your settings are fine, except you should change the race limit from 16 races to unlimited. That way nobody has to get kicked because they raced too much in a week. You should be able to change the tournament settings by pressing +.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
New F-Zero track. Best ever.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Grandpa Goodtimes posted:

New tracks are amazing. 200cc is amazing. Mario Kart is forever good.

EDIT: Are we going to have new Goonvitational in honor of 200cc and complete DLC?

The room is up, might as well just use this thread for trash talking.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Maple Leaf posted:

For the most part your settings are fine, except you should change the race limit from 16 races to unlimited. That way nobody has to get kicked because they raced too much in a week. You should be able to change the tournament settings by pressing +.

Thanks! Doesn't seem to be anywhere where pressing + lets me do anything (I'm assuming it should be on the main page where you can join the tournament or post a thing).

Just had the first match in the room and man, I need more 200cc practice. That poo poo was embarrassing.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Bown posted:

Thanks! Doesn't seem to be anywhere where pressing + lets me do anything (I'm assuming it should be on the main page where you can join the tournament or post a thing).

Just had the first match in the room and man, I need more 200cc practice. That poo poo was embarrassing.

It should be when you select the tournament but before you join it. Worse comes to worse you can just remake it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This has picked the track 1/5 chose twice in a row.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I can take solace in knowing that at least the computers are as bad at 200CC as I am. Was racing down Mount Wario, ran into a wall, and then a half second later two computer racers rammed into the same part of the wall.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

I think there's an option to turn off AI players as well, assuming the preference is to have entirely human players rather than just a full room period.

Oh, and for the record, that first race with you Bown was the first one I even did competently on after switching from my usual heavyweight setup myself. Otherwise, I'd consistently been in the bottom ranks before that.

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 23, 2015

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lemme know what people would prefer in that respect and I'll make a new room.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
200cc
[ ] Fast
[ ] Too Fast
[x] HOW DO I STOP?!

But in truth, getting first in the goon room doesn't feel bad for my first run into 200cc.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Bone-Dry Dunes is my favourite level :black101:

And SNES Rainbow Road is an epilepsy waiting to happen.

sayonara chainsaw
Sep 27, 2013
I really really hate it when you're in last place and all you get is mushrooms.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
corey, you motherfucker

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is 200 CC more unstable online? Or is my connection just crap.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Okay, so when is the tilt-control only 200cc tournament going to start?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

Is 200 CC more unstable online? Or is my connection just crap.

I've disconnected twice. I'm in the loser room right now with only three of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
All I need to do to unlock 200cc mode is to get all golds in 150cc but the world is conspiring against me to stop this happening, every race I've been zapped by shells from behind and 5 people go zooming past, you want a weapon to slow them down? enjoy your coins rear end in a top hat you get nothing.
I'll probably snap the disc in half long before I gold every 150cc cup at this rate.

• Locked thread