Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Loretta Lynch confirmed as U.S. Attorney General, 56-43

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

Lotka Volterra posted:

How hard is it to read?

It's not that I didn't understand what you wrote, LV, it's that I think it's dissembling bullshit that you cobbled together post-hoc to explain to yourself and other why Team Blue tried its bestest to avoid voting for the guy with the fleet of flying killbots and that's different than 1980 because of reasons. I think that both of those posts were massive stretches in an attempt to make sense of two contradictory ideas, mixed in with some weird moral compromise (if you vote in the primary and phone bank for Bernie Sanders, then you get a hall pass for voting for President Dredd) when there's a much simpler and more depressing explanation right in front of you: What we think does not matter at all.

You don't agree with me on that and that's fine, but don't pretend like I'm just too dumb to understand your finely crafted arguments or that I don't know what you are saying. I just don't believe what you are saying.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Has anyone about posted how hosed Virginia's voting machines are?

Don't worry, most states likely use the same machines and setup. :patriot:

I'd kill to see a law passed that regulated voting machines as heavily as slot machines.

FizFashizzle posted:

I mean as a serious presidential candidate, not just a pillowpants wet dream.

He was being treated as A Big Deal pretty much immediately after his convention speech. As soon as it was over you had reporters covering the event (I think CNN's?) talking about how presidential he looked and that this Obama guy will almost certainly make a run at the White House.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Also, wouldn't that not work? If the SC drops the subsidies they're gone, aren't they?
Rather absurdly, it is not the subsidies themselves that are under fire but rather the precise language in the ACA that dictates the nature of the subsidies. The contention is that the ACA technically does not provide for state exchanges as written. If the part of the bill in question were clearer, this would not be a case.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Don't worry the Supreme Court has a bunch of justices who focus their judicial philosophy on original intent and since the people who wrote this bill have publically said their intent was that states could use the exchange, we should see a unanimous ruling affirming that's the case.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

literally.

Can the judge have her placed under a psych evaluation?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/262863000/Order-of-Dismissal

I had a lawyer friend of mine pull the dismissal notice from PACER and post it, good stuff.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Bobby Jindal takes a bold stand:

quote:

In Indiana and Arkansas, large corporations recently joined left-wing activists to bully elected officials into backing away from strong protections for religious liberty. It was disappointing to see conservative leaders so hastily retreat on legislation that would simply allow for an individual or business to claim a right to free exercise of religion in a court of law.

Our country was founded on the principle of religious liberty, enshrined in the Bill of Rights. Why shouldn’t an individual or business have the right to cite, in a court proceeding, religious liberty as a reason for not participating in a same-sex marriage ceremony that violates a sincerely held religious belief?

That is what Indiana and Arkansas sought to do. That political leaders in both states quickly cowered amid the shrieks of big business and the radical left should alarm us all.

As the fight for religious liberty moves to Louisiana, I have a clear message for any corporation that contemplates bullying our state: Save your breath.

It's amazing when you find a living fossil in the wild. But I have to ask, what is he going to be saying tomorrow when all the major businesses tell him to shut the gently caress up, Sunday when all the political talk shows mock him and so on? How does he think he'll be any different than New Mexico, Indiana and Arkansas?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

GlyphGryph posted:

The TPP is not really much of a trade agreement though, and does almost nothing for free trade from everything I've read? It's more a law-synchronization-and-enforcement agreement. It focuses on patents, labour rights, copyright, solidifying entrenched business interests, environmental regulations, giving corporations tools to force governments into acting the way they want, and establishing dominance over China.

There's almost nothing in the deal that actually deals with free trade, from what I understand.
I'm a big fan of the ability to enforce contracts internationally. I think it actually does a fair amount to make people want to trade. I just think we're going about it in awful horrible no-good very bad ways.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

It's amazing when you find a living fossil in the wild. But I have to ask, what is he going to be saying tomorrow when all the major businesses tell him to shut the gently caress up, Sunday when all the political talk shows mock him and so on? How does he think he'll be any different than New Mexico, Indiana and Arkansas?

The major businesses won't care until a bill is passed committee. Jindal can raise all the money on the right he wants fighting for "religious freedoms" but so long as he actually doesn't do anything the business interests will still give him money.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm a big fan of the ability to enforce contracts internationally. I think it actually does a fair amount to make people want to trade. I just think we're going about it in awful horrible no-good very bad ways.

Trade yes, but at what cost. The cost in human misery that the TPP promotes and the cost to organized labor and fair wages is despicable.

Its not worth it.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

It seems like the GOP is moving away from the 'Job Creator' rhetoric these days. Maybe they figured out that poor and middle class whites aren't huge fans of them either and are trying to cash in on some of that populist anger by aiming it at something stupid and impossible instead of anything that involves money.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Maarek posted:

The comparison is very apt, it's just much easier for you to see how you might be forced into voting for someone who does bad things than how someone else might do that, especially if those people are wearing the other team's jerseys. The problem is that when you stop viewing The Others as a mass of mean little political hobgoblins it reveals just how powerless everyone who doesn't have a few million dollars to toss around is in our political system. It also destroys one of D&D's favorite fantasies about how once everyone born before 1950 is dead, our populace will be cafe au lait progressives who will all vote us into Social Democracy or something.

I like how you didn't even address my actual point, which is that an existing policy disagreement changes things when we talk about voter accountability. Reagan and Carter had strong, open disagreements about the dismantling of the social safety net. Obama and Romney/McCain did not have substantive disagreements over the use of drones in the GWOT, except perhaps that Obama has been restrained compared to what President McCain would do with the same tech and broad authority.

But please tell us more about how you're so far above the D&D hoi polloi and their fevered fantasies. I can't wait to hear what our modern Socrates has to teach us about how wealthy people have...gasp...accumulated power to a large extent in our political system. Please give us more revelation!

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 23, 2015

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Solkanar512 posted:

In other Louisiana news, LSU is drafting bankruptcy paperwork. Solid job, Jindal.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Bizarro Watt posted:

In other Louisiana news, LSU is drafting bankruptcy paperwork. Solid job, Jindal.

You say that like it wasn't his plan all along. Now businesses can buy up LSU at wholesale prices so they can pay off creditors. Get ready for all kinds of science papers that support businesses along with having the backing of a major US university.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Maarek posted:

While I completely agree that McCain and Romney were both worse candidates for the Presidency, this does nothing to explain why we have to blame Reagan voters for all the bad things that Ronald Reagan did but we shouldn't blame Obama voters for the bad things that he has done.

Because there was no easy alternative to Obama, and there was one for Reagan. The cases are not remotely comparable, and it's dumb as poo poo to suggest they are. It's like KPD members who refused to cooperate against Hitler because the SPD is no better, right? The two parties are not just as bad, and to suggest they are is massively dishonest and irresponsible

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

You complain about this guy who shot an unarmed black man, but have you stopped and thought about how this guy who mugged a white person is bad too?? #allcrimesmatter

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I know it's still early yet, but Hillary needs to start releasing some policy positions. She doesn't have an issues page up on her website yet and she has started her "listening tour." It will be interesting to see where she ends up, especially on foreign policy, once it all gets started. I think a lot of the domestic stuff will surprise people who have a bad taste from her third-way history in the 90's and early 2000's. She has hired a lot of great progressive advisers and all Presidents tend to follow their party and the 2016 Democratic party is going to be more liberal than the 1992-2005 Democratic party.

I think Hillary actually has less than 10 declared policy positions right now.

1) 4 weeks of national paid maternity leave for full-time employees.
2) Pro-Cuba normalization.
3) Pro-Iran negotiations.
4) Supports universal Kindergarten.
5) Supports national gay marriage; not a state issue. (good position, but she isn't on the court)
6) Supports constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United (nice gesture, but going nowhere)
7) Raise the minimum wage to $12 an hour.
8) Raise capital gains tax by 5%

Some of the stuff is going to be obvious, pro-choice and all that, but aren't officially a part of her campaign yet. However, issues like the TPP treaty, which she said she would only support if "it helps American businesses and workers" hasn't been spelled out yet and that phrasing could mean anything.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 23, 2015

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

To be fair to Reagan voters, no one could have known in 1980 (or 1984!) the awful things that would happen under his watch. I mean it's not like Reagan campaigned in '84 by saying "I promise to illegally sell arms to Iran" or "As President I can guarantee that I will kickstart the creation of massive Federal deficits".

The more curious thing, to me, is how Reagan has been raised to demi-God status by conservatives after his Presidency; it remains to be seen if the same will happen with Obama in 15 years (it probably will not?).

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Reagan was elected in a landslide and every Republican president since Eisenhower has either been a criminal, a joke, a forgettable one termer, or some combination of the those. He's the best they have so they need to elevate him to God-Emperor status in order to have someone they can claim made America great as their own.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I know it's still early yet, but Hillary needs to start releasing some policy positions. She doesn't have an issues page up on her website yet and she has started her "listening tour." It will be interesting to see where she ends up, especially on foreign policy, once it all gets started. I think a lot of the domestic stuff will surprise people who have a bad taste from her third-way history in the 90's and early 2000's. She has hired a lot of great progressive advisers and all Presidents tend to follow their party and the 2016 Democratic party is going to be more liberal than the 1992-2005 Democratic party.

I think Hillary actually has less than 10 declared policy positions right now.

1) 4 weeks of national paid maternity leave for full-time employees.
2) Pro-Cuba normalization.
3) Pro-Iran negotiations.
4) Supports universal Kindergarten.
5) Supports national gay marriage; not a state issue.
6) Supports constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United (nice gesture, but going nowhere)
7) Raise the minimum wage to $12 an hour.
8) Raise capital gains tax by 5%

Some of the stuff is going to be obvious, pro-choice and all that, but aren't officially a part of her campaign yet. However, issues like the TPP treaty, which she said she would only support if "it helps American businesses and workers" hasn't been spelled out yet and that phrasing could mean anything.

There are 18 1/2 months to go until the election; I'm sure we'll get a full slate of policy positions from Hillary between now and then.

my bony fealty posted:

The more curious thing, to me, is how Reagan has been raised to demi-God status by conservatives after his Presidency; it remains to be seen if the same will happen with Obama in 15 years (it probably will not?).

I suspect that Obama will be remembered relatively fondly by Dems - similar to Bill Clinton, but without his personal scandals.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

Liberals don't fundamentally yearn for a past that never was, so I doubt it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

If the ACA manages to survive the barrage arrayed against it and its protections become entrenched as a part of the national safety net, then Obama's legacy is ensured.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Eagerly awaiting the 2044 elections where the Democratic candidates all strive to prove they are the most "Obama-like" candidate

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

JT Jag posted:

If the ACA manages to survive the barrage arrayed against it and its protections become entrenched as a part of the national safety net, then Obama's legacy is ensured.

If the ACA remains intact would that put him above Bill with his personal scandals or LBJ with Vietnam? I mean he's not beating FDR but being put in the league of those two isn't exactly a bad thing.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Chelsea comes to a debate in blackface.

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I think Hillary actually has less than 10 declared policy positions right
5) Supports national gay marriage; not a state issue. (good position, but she isn't on the court)

If only the president had some institutional power or influence over the courts.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

A Winner is Jew posted:

If the ACA remains intact would that put him above Bill with his personal scandals or LBJ with Vietnam?

Depends on if America is pro or anti police state come 10-20 years.

If we hate our police state era, then Obama will be a less liked president. If we're into the police state then Obama will be even more liked.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Bizarro Watt posted:

All LSU needs to do is include elimination of football in the paperwork and Jindal will be tarred, feathered, and dumped in a bayou.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Okonner posted:

If only the president had some institutional power or influence over the courts.

Yeah, but the issue will be decided by the court, one way or the other, before she is elected. The ruling is expected in June 2015.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Comcast is giving up its attempt to merge with TWC, which is another win for the Obama Administration's revitalization of antitrust enforcement. The deal probably would have sailed through the Bush DOJ.

edit: Actually it looks like it was the FCC that got out the first "get hosed, we're rejecting this"

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 23, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

DaveWoo posted:

I suspect that Obama will be remembered relatively fondly by Dems - similar to Bill Clinton, but without his personal scandals.

Long run there's no chance Obama doesn't get the hagiography treatment from history. "First black president" alone would do it, add in the recovery and the ACA and it's a slam dunk. Drones, spying, foreign policy, that will all get glossed over just like we do with FDR and the internment or Lincoln and habeus corpus, or Jefferson and slaves. It will be trivia for historians and trump card references for political nerds on the hypernet as they compare it to President Jack Bush's declarations that the zorblaxians have WMDs and we must attack Mars.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

A Winner is Jew posted:

If the ACA remains intact would that put him above Bill with his personal scandals or LBJ with Vietnam? I mean he's not beating FDR but being put in the league of those two isn't exactly a bad thing.
The ACA as well as the potential nationwide legalization of gay marriage that will occur under his presidency isn't quite as monumental as the Great Society and the Civil Rights Act, so (strictly on a domestic politics level) I'd put him just below LBJ and above Clinton.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fried Chicken posted:

Long run there's no chance Obama doesn't get the hagiography treatment from history. "First black president" alone would do it, add in the recovery and the ACA and it's a slam dunk. Drones, spying, foreign policy, that will all get glossed over just like we do with FDR and the internment or Lincoln and habeus corpus, or Jefferson and slaves. It will be trivia for historians and trump card references for political nerds on the hypernet as they compare it to President Jack Bush's declarations that the zorblaxians have WMDs and we must attack Mars.

How is Lincoln's suspension of habeus corpus an issue with anyone but neoconfederates?

quote:

The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it.
Seems pretty cut and dried to me.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

evilweasel posted:

Comcast is giving up its attempt to merge with TWC, which is another win for the Obama Administration's revitalization of antitrust enforcement. The deal probably would have sailed through the Bush DOJ.

edit: Actually it looks like it was the FCC that got out the first "get hosed, we're rejecting this"

The FCCs been remarkably cool recently

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

How is Lincoln's suspension of habeus corpus an issue with anyone but neoconfederates?

Because that section is in the section on Congress's powers and nobody before (or really after) thinks the Constitution gives that power to the President. Congress has the power to suspend the writ, not the President. But that's a stupid place to vest the power when poo poo has hit the fan enough it's justified, so Lincoln did it anyway and got Congress to retroactively approve of it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

I want to say "libertarians" but I feel like I have to separate out people that like civil liberties from the tea partiers these days. But regardless, it and the alien and sedition acts comes up occasionally in discussions regarding the Patriot Act and other post 9/11 stuff.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The FCCs been remarkably cool recently

Everyone was worried that Tom Wheeler's history would make him side with cable companies and telcos, but it looks like it left a bad taste in his mouth.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

haveblue posted:

Everyone was worried that Tom Wheeler's history would make him side with cable companies and telcos, but it looks like it left a bad taste in his mouth.
Maybe leaving a dingo as your babysitter isn't that bad if the dingo hates other dingos more than he loves eating babies

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

JT Jag posted:

The ACA as well as the potential nationwide legalization of gay marriage that will occur under his presidency isn't quite as monumental as the Great Society and the Civil Rights Act, so (strictly on a domestic politics level) I'd put him just below LBJ and above Clinton.

Getting UBL and drawing down the wars will also be huge. The narrative of "Bush poo poo the bed, Obama cleaned it up" is pretty much how history is going to remember the first two decades of this century. One of the many things conservatives hate about Obama.

I know it was expected but loving LOL. Had an E4 done that poo poo he'd be rotting in Leavenworth for decades.
VVVVVVVVV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Petraeus sentence handed down: 2 years probation, $100,000 fine

• Locked thread