Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Maarek posted:

The point of my post wasn't that "Obama is using drones to blow people up" but "Obama is using drones to blow people up" as a thing that a lot of people who voted for him aren't in favor of and shouldn't be held accountable for. All the emphasis on the drones themselves is due to the fact that they are some crazy science fiction stuff and you'll probably need to wait a generation or so before people get used to robots whirring around lobbing bombs at people.

I voted for him to blow people up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

ReidRansom posted:

Football at major schools is supposedly self funding and often pays back into general revenues, or so they say, at least. How much of that is an accounting lie I have no idea. But with TV contacts and licensing deals and bowl payouts and of course ticket sales and concession contracts I could believe it.

The correct option is to get rid of the school part of the college, and just have a football team where they don't pay the players. That'd make lot's of money!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I regret Abe Lincoln waging an offensive campaign in the great War of Southern Gentlemen Who Disagreed with Mr. Lincoln, for it has doomed the mighty state of Yemen.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Nonsense posted:

I regret Abe Lincoln waging an offensive campaign in the great War of Southern Gentlemen Who Disagreed with Mr. Lincoln, for it has doomed the mighty state of Yemen.
The War of Northern Aggression is the term used in polite company actually

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

The War of Northern Aggression is the term used in polite company actually

Having been raised in Wisconsin and recently broken up with a southerner, I have a very profound distaste of southern culture and customs. It's not authentic when you turn around and say the exact opposite when someone leaves earshot range, goddamnit.

Food is good though.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
I saw a copy of an old newspaper clipping that referred to it as 'The Late Unpleasantness' which I think is the most Victorian name ever for a war.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Boon posted:

Having been raised in Wisconsin and recently broken up with a southerner, I have a very profound distaste of southern culture and customs. It's not authentic when you turn around and say the exact opposite when someone leaves earshot range, goddamnit.

Food is good though.

Upon breaking up did she bless your heart?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Boon posted:

It's not authentic when you turn around and say the exact opposite when someone leaves earshot range, goddamnit.

Bless your heart.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

haveblue posted:

Everyone was worried that Tom Wheeler's history would make him side with cable companies and telcos, but it looks like it left a bad taste in his mouth.

JT Jag posted:

Maybe leaving a dingo as your babysitter isn't that bad if the dingo hates other dingos more than he loves eating babies

Reminder that Tom Wheeler ran a mom-and-pop dial-up ISP that AOL crowded out and used its regulatory capture to kill in the 80s. Wheeler is just paying providers back with interest. :legion:

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 23, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Maarek posted:

I saw a copy of an old newspaper clipping that referred to it as 'The Late Unpleasantness' which I think is the most Victorian name ever for a war.

And don't forget slavery being described as that "peculiar institution"

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Everblight posted:

Reminder that Tom Wheeler ran a mom-and-pop dial-up ISP that AOL crowded out and used its regulatory capture to kill in the 80s. Wheeler is just paying providers back with interest. :legion:

Cable, not dial-up. And as far as I recall a big reason they failed was due to cost (both to consumers and the actual cable operators to set it up on their networks).

Edit: Actually maybe he did work in dial-up as well, this was the only one I remembered him from :v:.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CommieGIR posted:

When was this?

Black Ops 2. :downsrim:

quote:

http://kotaku.com/5959922/this-is-awkward-david-petraeus-is-in-the-next-call-of-duty-as-our-new-secretary-of-defense

A sex scandal may have prompted David Petraeus to resign from running the CIA last Friday, but the new Call of Duty predicts that he's got a really bright future. The new first-person shooter features the former general as the Secretary of Defense in the year 2025, serving loyally to a female President who looks a whole lot like Hillary Clinton.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Everblight posted:

He also ran a cable ISP in Canada in the 80's that got something like 1.5 Mbit down according to him, but 6.2 Mbit down according to Wiki.

However, AOL went over the phone lines whereas his went through cable, and he couldn't expand the way AOL could due to the need to have the cable companies grant him permission. As what I can only assume was a result of the cable company influence, the ISP sold the computers used with the network and they didn't have any form of offline storage.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

my bony fealty posted:

To be fair to Reagan voters, no one could have known in 1980 (or 1984!) the awful things that would happen under his watch. I mean it's not like Reagan campaigned in '84 by saying "I promise to illegally sell arms to Iran" or "As President I can guarantee that I will kickstart the creation of massive Federal deficits".

The more curious thing, to me, is how Reagan has been raised to demi-God status by conservatives after his Presidency; it remains to be seen if the same will happen with Obama in 15 years (it probably will not?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAqE_GxsqMo

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Pfff Clinton can't be president in 2025, she'll be out (except for January). Unless she splits terms.... I need more political realism in my vidya games.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Fried Chicken posted:

Loretta Lynch confirmed as U.S. Attorney General, 56-43

Did any 2016 candidates vote for her? I'm going to assume the answer is no.

edit

Stultus Maximus posted:

All LSU needs to do is include elimination of football in the paperwork and Jindal will be tarred, feathered, and dumped in a bayou.

This is literally the best option. Shut down the football program and let the press run the story with Jindal as the source of the shortfall.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 23, 2015

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

A Man With A Plan posted:

Pfff Clinton can't be president in 2025, she'll be out (except for January). Unless she splits terms.... I need more political realism in my vidya games.

Treyarch must have been expecting a one-term Biden in between.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Clinton will obviously find a way to install herself as permanent dictator, just like Obama did.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Sir Tonk posted:

Clinton will obviously find a way to install herself as permanent dictator, just like Obama did.

Clinton and Obama named Consuls in Perpetuity, under Emperor Biden.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Colleges are (supposedly) full of smart people, surely someone there understands they have something to bargain with.

None of those smart people believe that the masses of football fans in the south would see "using football as a bargaining chip to not get a university destroyed" as anything other than "THOSE loving COMMIE FAGGOTS ARE TRYING TO GET RID OF MAH FOOBAWL :bahgawd:"

JT Jag posted:

Remember when Patraeus was seen as a serious potential Democratic presidential candidate

No, because he wasn't ever in this position for either party. Colin Powell was a more "serious" consideration than Patraeus has ever been.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
It's going to be fascinating when out of state tuition costs in states that have managed to slow the increase in tuition begins to match the in school tuition rate of places like LA, WI, and KS.

My Wisconsin GI Bill gets more and more valuable every day.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Maarek posted:

It's not that I didn't understand what you wrote, LV, it's that I think it's dissembling bullshit that you cobbled together post-hoc to explain to yourself and other why Team Blue tried its bestest to avoid voting for the guy with the fleet of flying killbots and that's different than 1980 because of reasons. I think that both of those posts were massive stretches in an attempt to make sense of two contradictory ideas, mixed in with some weird moral compromise (if you vote in the primary and phone bank for Bernie Sanders, then you get a hall pass for voting for President Dredd) when there's a much simpler and more depressing explanation right in front of you: What we think does not matter at all.

You don't agree with me on that and that's fine, but don't pretend like I'm just too dumb to understand your finely crafted arguments or that I don't know what you are saying. I just don't believe what you are saying.

The reason I think you're aren't understanding my arguments is because you keep heavily misconstruing them. This kind of suggests you don't get what I am saying.

It is not at all contradictory to say that we share some measure of blame for voting in people who do bad things while also saying that circumstances mitigate your share of said blame. If you actively try to steer the party away from a policy but are left with no choice but to vote for someone to salvage some of your ideals then you are complicit in, say, drone death but primarily against your own will.

If you just vote D while knowing of these flaws and not doing anything to contribute to fixing them then you can be said to be much more culpable for [bad thing]. If you actively cheer on these things and vote specifically to encourage them you are even more blameful. Since we're not literal hostages no one is absolved entirely of blame but it is mitigated based on your own actions and intent.

This isn't at all a revolutionary idea. You have some responsibility for the consequences of your actions, even if that's just voting.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

so many
gubernatorial ads

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any noteworthy individuals or organizations that support/fund progressive primary challengers against moderate dems? Is that a thing?

It seems to me that claiming a few scalps in primary challenges would go a long way toward sending a message of "Hey, don't loving support poo poo like the TPP you assholes."

Yes. The Progressive Change Campaign Committee.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Evil Fluffy posted:

None of those smart people believe that the masses of football fans in the south would see "using football as a bargaining chip to not get a university destroyed" as anything other than "THOSE loving COMMIE FAGGOTS ARE TRYING TO GET RID OF MAH FOOBAWL :bahgawd:"
But it's all about messaging. Surely LSU offers degrees in communcation:

"Bobby Jindal wants to bankrupt LSU and that would mean that the football program will be cut along with everything else. Bobby Jindal, why do you hate LSU football?"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Surely LSU offers degrees in communcation:

For the time being anyway.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

But it's all about messaging. Surely LSU offers degrees in communcation:

"Bobby Jindal wants to bankrupt LSU and that would mean that the football program will be cut along with everything else. Bobby Jindal, why do you hate LSU football?"

Don't worry, they'll just work a "don't defund sports" clause into the future budget deals. Bobby Jindal saves football from the evil Dean Wormer!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

Its been really suprising how much Wheeler has worked against his previous industry and more in favor of the public view

It's only surprising to people who have never paid attention to him other than reading he was a cable industry advocate 30 years ago and a mobile phone guy 15 years ago, sure. It's not surprising at all to people who have followed his career and especially what he's written.

ReidRansom posted:

Football at major schools is supposedly self funding and often pays back into general revenues, or so they say, at least. How much of that is an accounting lie I have no idea. But with TV contacts and licensing deals and bowl payouts and of course ticket sales and concession contracts I could believe it.

A lot of schools that claim this like to pretend all of their alumni donations are directly attributable to sports to back it up.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 23, 2015

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

A Man With A Plan posted:

haven't literal nukes gone off in the call of duty "universe" at this point? I'm surprised they don't already have a president that's expanded term limits.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "Obviously, it's a tragic situation and all the blame should be on Al Qaeda ... For having taken hostages to begin with." ~ Marco Rubio.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Dubstep Jesus posted:

haven't literal nukes gone off in the call of duty "universe" at this point? I'm surprised they don't already have a president that's expanded term limits.

That was like the first modern game, some Saddam standin nuked his own country or something like that. I kinda stopped playing them after the Russians staged a full ground invasion of the continental US.

Speaking of which, Russia has been moving lots more air defense systems and other heavy weapons towards the Ukraine border, as well as training the insurgent groups. Looking forward to seeing if they can turn it into the Afghanistan of Eastern Europe. Though thankfully at the moment the US is staying arm's distance away.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
After the Bergdahl thing and this, it's pretty obvious what the Republican stance on hostages is.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

Ralepozozaxe posted:

After the Bergdahl thing and this, it's pretty obvious what the Republican stance on hostages is.

No true American will allow themselves to be taken hostage. They would go down with the guns Obama tried to take from them blazing away.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Non-Joementum quote of the day:
"The images seen on television look and sound much like a lynch mob" ~ Baltimore Fraternal Order of Police, regarding groups protesting the death of Freddie Gray

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

ReidRansom posted:

Nintendo Kid posted:

A lot of schools that claim this like to pretend all of their alumni donations are directly attributable to sports to back it up.

This has been explored in a number of reports and the general conclusion is that after you account for all of the accounting trickery, football is only profitable if you're one of the ~20 best schools in the nation. Everyone else loses huge amounts of money. Any non-football sport, except a couple specific basketball programs, also hemorrhage money.

The problems they face is that, if they were to cut football entirely, many schools would (or think they would) lose huge amount of alumni donation dollars, and also potentially see a large drop in enrollment. I don't think anyone's been able to determine exactly what that loss would be, but the threat of it is enough that people are totally unwilling to touch the programs.

http://www.ethosreview.org/intellectual-spaces/is-college-football-profitable/

http://www.acenet.edu/news-room/Pages/Myth-College-Sports-Are-a-Cash-Cow2.aspx

http://thedailybanter.com/2014/10/upon-review-college-football-giant-waste-money-schools/

Also a fun reminder that the highest paid State employee in your home state is probably a football coach: http://deadspin.com/infographic-is-your-states-highest-paid-employee-a-co-489635228

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Stultus Maximus posted:

Non-Joementum quote of the day:
"The images seen on television look and sound much like a lynch mob" ~ Baltimore Fraternal Order of Police, regarding groups protesting the death of Freddie Gray

The cops are protesting?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Mmm, smells like a fresh Fox News poll.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Joementum posted:

Mmm, smells like a fresh Fox News poll.

I didn't realize that Daesh was now able to project outside of Iraq after having toppled the Iraqi government, which last I checked had less naval power than the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

RuanGacho posted:

I didn't realize that Daesh was now able to project outside of Iraq after having toppled the Iraqi government, which last I checked had less naval power than the US.

Literally every other country combined has less Naval power than the US.

My favorite semi-'Murrca fact is that the largest air force in the world is the USAF (big surprise), but the second-largest air force is the US Navy.

• Locked thread