Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Goat Pillager posted:

Sadly pubbies will no longer have the option of experiencing their bridge bunnies speak to them in a male voice, with proper lip sync and all.
Fortunately that can still happen if you commission the delta boffs or the LoR reman boff before you finish the tutorials. And they still get the hot and manly Tovan Khen on their bridge! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Is there a real reason Tovan is so hated or is it just the mandatory thing? I found him inoffensive at worst and mostly pretty neat.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

razorrozar posted:

Is there a real reason Tovan is so hated or is it just the mandatory thing? I found him inoffensive at worst and mostly pretty neat.

He's a mechanically great boff with a pretty decent voice actor. There is nothing objectively wrong with him. However, he is a wielder of the most dangerous weapon of all to the typical pubbie all-female bridge crew: a penis other than that of the player. These people are the weirdo fucks who went back and replayed Mass Effect 2 specifically to kill off Garrus so that he could not possibly hook up with Tali in Mass Effect 3.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Pretty much, yeah. Objectively speaking, Tovan Khev is a pretty great addition to the game and the pubbie hatred of him was disappointing. It was nice to have bridge officers with a "voice" and it could have opened the way for much more interesting plots in quests and such. He was customizable except for the name, he had good traits (yeah yeah, only operative instead of superior operative, but he was guaranteed and free), and his story presence wasn't any worse than anything else in STO. The only thing pubbies actually hated was that he had a penis.

You don't see it quite as often any more, but back when LoR hit there was constantly incessant whining about him. A lot of them tried to pretend it was because he was "mandatory" or because you couldn't change his name or whatever, but every single time the mask invariably slipped once a thread got long enough. Someone would mention that he'd be fine if only you could pick his gender, or if you could trade him for his sister after she was rescued, or some similar idea and all people who gave one of the other reasons would suddenly chime in about how this would be a perfectly fine resolution. You could feel the staggering sexual insecurity and instantly envision their creepy all-female bridge harem of bikini-clad white orions and/or catian females.

It was hilarious and I hope beyond hope Blizzard forces some mandatory ugly guy onto your bridge if they ever add another sub-faction.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

razorrozar posted:

He is literally only hated because these people want to play characters that have a bridge crew solely made up of scantily-clad women.

Asimo posted:

It was hilarious and I hope beyond hope Blizzard forces some mandatory ugly guy onto your bridge if they ever add another sub-faction.

Blizzard. :sigh: if only.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
This game has The Worst Community (TM)

...ok, LoL is still worse

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Blizzard. :sigh: if only.
Haha whoops. :downs: I haven't played WoW in like five years and still have a force of habit.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Actually, being able to recruit his sister (but not replace Tovan) would have been neat. Definitely a better resolution to his story than "yay, you found her, she had one line, the end." Plus, it would have given an additional boff with a voice for Tovan to have a conversation with- you could have had boffs talking to each other and you, instead of just to you- kind of like the conference room scenes in TNG. Give her similar traits to Tovan, but a different spec- maybe a Sci?

Hell, have the two of them give you a more Romulan-flavored lead-in to the regurgitated faction-neutral missions.

Preechr fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Apr 23, 2015

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Oh yeah, I wouldn't be against that part. If anything, I wish the other Romulan boffs you get while creeping your way to the faction choice were mandatory, got a buff to purple, and took bigger roles in the story rather than only mattering for the mission they're in. I think that's the one time that pubbie whining leading to Cryptic making bad decisions has actually pissed me off, since the bridge officer interaction is kind of the core of star trek plots.

Also, I wonder how many people tossed out D'vex (or whatever his default name is) because he's green without realizing even his Basic Veteran is an absurdly good ground trait that's otherwise impossible to get these days. :v:

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Asimo posted:

Oh yeah, I wouldn't be against that part. If anything, I wish the other Romulan boffs you get while creeping your way to the faction choice were mandatory, got a buff to purple, and took bigger roles in the story rather than only mattering for the mission they're in. I think that's the one time that pubbie whining leading to Cryptic making bad decisions has actually pissed me off, since the bridge officer interaction is kind of the core of star trek plots.

Also, I wonder how many people tossed out D'vex (or whatever his default name is) because he's green without realizing even his Basic Veteran is an absurdly good ground trait that's otherwise impossible to get these days. :v:

The game keeps randomly throwing Satra into my missions whenever it calls for a boff NPC so she's been involved in my plot as much as or more than Tovan.

Seriously it always picks her out of my 7 boffs. What up with that?

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Preechr posted:

Actually, being able to recruit his sister (but not replace Tovan) would have been neat. Definitely a better resolution to his story than "yay, you found her, she had one line, the end." Plus, it would have given an additional boff with a voice for Tovan to have a conversation with- you could have had boffs talking to each other and you, instead of just to you- kind of like the conference room scenes in TNG. Give her similar traits to Tovan, but a different spec- maybe a Sci?

Hell, have the two of them give you a more Romulan-flavored lead-in to the regurgitated faction-neutral missions.

Asimo posted:

Yeah. It was definitely nice when D'Vex popped up as alive, even nicer when he became a bridge officer for your crew, and best that he has the Basic Veteran trait, though it's a shame his helmet couldn't be equipped to him, last I checked. Thing is, Rinna Khev would have probably had to have been a tactical officer as well (to give a 2/2/2 balance between the ones you were given). Hiven and Satra cover science, Veril and D'Vex do Engineering, and Tovan Khev is Tactical. Maybe if D'Vex had been Tactical, Rinna could have been Tactical.

Also, at the time, one more officer given that way would have entirely filled a F2P's bridge officer slot count of six.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Asimo posted:

Yeah, I really wish you could upgrade Hiven and the others to purple level somehow. If nothing else, they have costumes parts that are unique to them. And it was nice to have characters that were characters.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I love space barbie and all, but given the option between total boff customization and having a named crew that's woven into the story arcs, I'd take the latter every time. Especially if you still had a normal level of appearance customization and such. Think of how differently story missions could go if your bridge officers had voiced lines and actually mattered rather than basically being the NPC who chirps in with quest text. There'd even be room for adding quest-reward or cross-faction bridge officers over time to pad the roster out; think of Nelen Exil giving commentary on the assorted Delta Rising stuff or the like.

But STO is the game of missed opportunities. :shrug:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Asimo posted:

But STO is the game of missed opportunities. :shrug:

Thread title right there.

So I spent some sweet Delta recruit money to fit my ship out in Plasma Biomatter. What's the best way to upgrade it! I've never upgraded an item before and I don't want to waste dil.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Use superior upgrade kits; using blue or green ones is going to double (or triple or quadruple?) your dilithium costs, and superior experimental kits aren't really worth it unless you're starting with a low-mark item and are willing to use quality chance boosters. Get the weapons to MkXIV and if you manage the 4% chance or whatever for a quality upgrade then cool, otherwise don't even bother trying for those since they're a money sink for the space rich. MkXIV purple weapons are more than enough to stomp your way through content.

Note that it's going to cost around 30k dil to get each weapon to MkXIV for all the upgrade kits you'll be shoveling into them so be sure you're starting with some good weapon mods so you don't have to spend the time and dil again. (CrtDx3 is obviously the best, but frankly CrtDx2/CrtH is close enough that it's not worth paying ten times as much for the privilege of CrtDx3). The unique delta tech kits you get from maxing out a delta alt or from the weekly featured episode thing are good for this too since they give a lot of points and don't cost any dilithium, but I'd save those for whatever rep set weapons you're using (and I'd use them with a tech accelerator to make the most of it) since those cost a shitload to upgrade.

Short version: buy 'em to MkXIV, that's easy and has no random elements and gives the biggest bang for the buck.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
IMO, kick pulse, and kick any of his serious defenders. Seriously. He's a loving furry.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
I heard Pulse is actually bobfrommarketing.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

All this drama because someone was saying BUTTS and DONGS

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
What about DONGS and BUTTS, is that ok?

Violent Kitten
Dec 26, 2011

Dearmad bhean
an ti ag an gcat.
Perhaps we need some fresh material. Like glutes. We can all work on our glutes, regardless of gender, yes, let's embrace the equal opportunities and benefits of glutes.

Instead of furry erps.

Nymix
Mar 3, 2013

Violent Kitten posted:

Perhaps we need some fresh material. Like glutes. We can all work on our glutes, regardless of gender, yes, let's embrace the equal opportunities and benefits of glutes.

Instead of furry erps.

Agreed, glorious glutes are both the present and the future. Left cheek and right cheek respectively. Even so, I second kicking the furry.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Preechr posted:

He's a mechanically great boff with a pretty decent voice actor. There is nothing objectively wrong with him. However, he is a wielder of the most dangerous weapon of all to the typical pubbie all-female bridge crew: a penis other than that of the player. These people are the weirdo fucks who went back and replayed Mass Effect 2 specifically to kill off Garrus so that he could not possibly hook up with Tali in Mass Effect 3.

Also they feel like they don't have -Control- if they can't choose whether or not to dismiss him.

Symptom of the same defect of character that got them to sperg out over disco and snowballs.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 23, 2015

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

-Troika- posted:

IMO, kick pulse, and kick any of his serious defenders. Seriously. He's a loving furry.

I still say- coverup, sweep under rug, hush-up, space #richprivilige, amoral, establishment, double standard, above the law, cackling, repressed horrors.

Specifically on the model of the British upper crust pederasty/murder/coverup scandal that's ongoing there.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Unguided posted:

I'm getting flashbacks to the ArcheAge thread.

I always assumed the AA thread was just an even more shitpost filled version of the guild chat and the mumble, so I averted my eyes.

Please respect the space fishing pact guys.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I wish that science and engineering captains weren't so lackluster in space compared to Tactical ones. It makes me feel like investing any real resources into an Eng or Sci is a waste.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

A Fancy Bloke posted:

investing any real resources into an Eng or Sci is a waste
Fixed for post-DR state of the game.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Preechr posted:

These people are the weirdo fucks who went back and replayed Mass Effect 2 specifically to kill off Garrus so that he could not possibly hook up with Tali in Mass Effect 3.

Please tell me this wasn't actually a thing. Like Khev, Garrus was the biggest bro and this may legit make me cry tears of shame of the human race. :(

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Goat Pillager posted:

There are no words.

This is a very old honeypot, not much worse than some of the ones Fran did back in the day. I think some of our newer members have not quite experienced just how awful ERPists used to be back in the day along with the lengths some brave goons went to reel them in, and I'd also like to remind everyone that nearly everybody in Dental/NoP had a catgirl at one point. I don't know why it was a thing, but it was a thing.

Aleth posted:

I heard Pulse is actually bobfrommarketing.

Harsh.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ludicro posted:

This is a very old honeypot, not much worse than some of the ones Fran did back in the day. I think some of our newer members have not quite experienced just how awful ERPists used to be back in the day along with the lengths some brave goons went to reel them in, and I'd also like to remind everyone that nearly everybody in Dental/NoP had a catgirl at one point. I don't know why it was a thing, but it was a thing.

I have a (male) Ferasan, but only so I can run a Kzinti gimmick. :colbert:

Malicus
Oct 31, 2013
I created a Delta Recruit and have this deranged need to finish all of the tasks for it even though I'm already kind of tired of STO (again, since I played about two years ago) . Since the progress for next week's bonus is fleet-related, I figured that it was time to finally get off my rear end and join one, even though I'm only playing casually at best, and I do not want to go with some random pubbie group if there's a better option available. I'm requesting wiki access (Malicus) and a TheNextGooneration invite (my Delta Recruit is Pavrak@lyeas).

SDRD
Aug 19, 2012

Ludicro posted:

So you are saying he did this a while ago and it was extremely awful. And just yesterday he was posing in a loving fur suit on rise (also very awful). And, as others have said, this might not be that old at all (but still very awful). How about we agree that Pulse is very awful?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

SDRD posted:

So you are saying he did this a while ago and it was extremely awful. And just yesterday he was posing in a loving fur suit on rise (also very awful). And, as others have said, this might not be that old at all (but still very awful). How about we agree that Pulse is very awful?

Pulse is a cool dude who has helped a lot of goons and done a lot of honey potting for us.

Incidentally I can't help but notice you have only ever made 9 posts on this forum, all of them in this thread with your first post asking to get into Dental. You've been a very patient J4G, it would be a shame to spoil it all by trying too hard.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Pulse is good and always been helpful with advice.

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013

Ludicro posted:

Pulse is a cool dude who has helped a lot of goons and done a lot of honey potting for us.

Incidentally I can't help but notice you have only ever made 9 posts on this forum, all of them in this thread with your first post asking to get into Dental. You've been a very patient J4G, it would be a shame to spoil it all by trying too hard.

Stop right there.

There are questions.

Why is it from someone else's perspective and not his?

Why are you returning out of the blue from nowhere to suddenly defend him?

Why has Pulse not posted himself in response to any of this?

I should also point out that there are several other posts above pointing out that the log is in fact real, and that he is also a sponsored J4G at best.

While I am certain more attempts to sweep this under the rug will come about, I have to say that I thought we usually sprayed down furry ERPists amongst the pubbie hoard, and kicked the ones found in goons, not harbored and white knighted them.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Ludicro posted:

Yeah a lot of nobodies just popping in to throw shade on Pulse like anybody gives a poo poo what they think.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
I just kind of assumed this was some sort of deep cover pubbie sting operation.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I will say that this is loving hilarious to watch.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I can only hope that this entire thread for the last few days has been a honey pot and a mass purge is incoming.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Star Trek Online Season 10: Pulsegate 2015

:munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.
Vell, Pulse's just zis guy, you know?

• Locked thread