Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

As I recall, there was a bit of a faction fight that he tapped into. I don't think there's a similar level of party split these days. Differences exist, but I think everybody wants to gently caress the Republicans hard, first and foremost.

I agree with this. Not everyone is satisfied with Hillary but after nearly 8 years of seeing how the Republicans operate, Democrats seem to understand the most important thing is not allowing Jeb Bush or Scott Walker to become Prez. That's why Hillary is polling close to 70%, and an Obama figure hasn't emerged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

ReidRansom posted:

What looks worse, I wonder. Having that all swept under the rug and looking like any other piece of poo poo politician, or making him face the charges but it hangs in the media longer.

Big government overreach is ruining good old middle class families.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Sorry to go back like 10 pages for this, I don't regularly read the thread, but:

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I don't understand what "anti-genetics credibility" means in this context. Or any context.

It's actually straightforward, there's a relatively recent religious conservative talking point that homosexuality has been definitively proven to be non-genetic. It's a whole thing. From Fischer's own article:

quote:

As Peter Sprigg of the Family Research Council points out, rigorous studies of identical twins have now made it impossible to argue seriously for the theory of genetic determination. If homosexuality were fixed at birth, as the misguided thinking of homosexual activists goes, then if one twin is homosexual, the other should be as well. The "concordance rate" should be 100 percent.

http://www.onenewsnow.com/perspectives/bryan-fischer/2014/06/17/the-latest-in-scientific-research-there-is-no-gay-gene
http://cowgernation.com/2015/01/06/identical-twin-studies-show-that-gays-are-not-born-gay/
http://muslimvillage.com/2015/03/28/76778/identical-twin-studies-show-homosexuality-not-genetic/ (not Christian but I thought it was kind of funny that this had resonance in other religious circles as well.)

Conservative Christians love to invoke science as an authority as much as anybody, despite their often antagonistic relationship with it.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 23, 2015

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZB8lmDjxnM

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

tsa posted:

That's against international law, but isn't considered a war crime and nobody has ever been prosecuted for it on those grounds.

"Article Three of the Geneva Convention of 1949 posted:

Persons taking no active part in hostilities should be treated humanely (including military persons who have ceased to be active as a result of sickness, injury, or detention).

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
What always pisses me off is how more people don't highlight the logical leap that these idiots make from saying that homosexuality isn't genetic to saying that it's a choice. Even if homosexuality were 100% caused by environmental factors and 0% by genetics (which is clearly not the case as shown by numerous studies) that would still in no way imply that sexuality were a "choice."

I do wish liberals would stop using the phrase "born this way" because it makes it way too easy for conservatives to muddy the waters. "Born this way" is technically false but in practice indistinguishable from reality. It doesn't matter how much of sexuality is determined by genetics and how much is determined by environmental factors because the only thing that matters is that it's completely out of our control and basically set in place at a young age, focusing endlessly on the genetic vs environmental thing is exactly what conservatives want to do because it distracts from the fact that the "choice" argument is a red herring.

Spooky Forum Ghost
Mar 9, 2015
Ted Cruz was the only senator to not vote on Loretta Lynch's confirmation as AG today.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ReidRansom posted:

And it's apparently not his first time. Also it sounds like he was maybe high as well as drunk and the car he was driving wasn't insured and wasn't his.

There's a mark of a libertarian.

Whenever a libertarian gets in trouble with the law, it almost always includes not having something licensed, insured, or properly inspected. Because freedom.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Bobby Jindal wrote an Op Ed
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/04/23/opinion/bobby-jindal-im-holding-firm-against-gay-marriage.html?_r=0&referrer=

quote:

As the fight for religious liberty moves to Louisiana, I have a clear message for any corporation that contemplates bullying our state: Save your breath. In 2010, Louisiana adopted a Religious Freedom Restoration Act, which prohibits government from unduly burdening a person’s exercise of religion. However, given the changing positions of politicians, judges and the public in favor of same-sex marriage, along with the potential for discrimination against Christian individuals and businesses that comes with these shifts, I plan in this legislative session to fight for passage of the Marriage and Conscience Act.

The legislation would prohibit the state from denying a person, company or nonprofit group a license, accreditation, employment or contract — or taking other “adverse action” — based on the person or entity’s religious views on the institution of marriage. Some corporations have already contacted me and asked me to oppose this law. I am certain that other companies, under pressure from radical liberals, will do the same. They are free to voice their opinions, but they will not deter me.

I hold the view that has been the consensus in our country for over two centuries: that marriage is between one man and one woman. Polls indicate that the American consensus is changing — but like many other believers, I will not change my faith-driven view on this matter, even if it becomes a minority opinion. A pluralistic and diverse society like ours can exist only if we all tolerate people who disagree with us. That’s why religious freedom laws matter — and why it is critical for conservatives and business leaders to unite in this debate.

If we, as conservatives, are to succeed in advancing the cause of freedom and free enterprise, the business community must stand shoulder to shoulder with those fighting for religious liberty. The left-wing ideologues who oppose religious freedom are the same ones who seek to tax and regulate businesses out of existence.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

MaxxBot posted:

What always pisses me off is how more people don't highlight the logical leap that these idiots make from saying that homosexuality isn't genetic to saying that it's a choice. Even if homosexuality were 100% caused by environmental factors and 0% by genetics (which is clearly not the case as shown by numerous studies) that would still in no way imply that sexuality were a "choice."

I do wish liberals would stop using the phrase "born this way" because it makes it way too easy for conservatives to muddy the waters. "Born this way" is technically false but in practice indistinguishable from reality. It doesn't matter how much of sexuality is determined by genetics and how much is determined by environmental factors because the only thing that matters is that it's completely out of our control and basically set in place at a young age, focusing endlessly on the genetic vs environmental thing is exactly what conservatives want to do because it distracts from the fact that the "choice" argument is a red herring.

This is how I feel about when liberals say that birth control can be used for "legitimate" medical reasons. I don't care if someone is taking the pill to combat acne or because she wants to set a new record for multiple parters in one night. It's none of anyone's business why, easy access to birth control is a massive positive for society, and arguing that certain uses are more worthy than others just allows conservatives to roll back rights for people that aren't using that way as a compromise. It's the same with gay rights. Who cares if it's genetic or environmental, their rights should be protected and trying to compromise with conservatives is a losing proposition since they will always move the goalposts backwards.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Bobby Jindal wrote an explanation as to why he'll never be president in modern America

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Will he run?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

He used to get talked up, but after completely failing to impress nation wide when he gave the Republican response to the State of the Union and the field already crowded with religious nut jobs, I doubt it.

I don't get why people with further aspirations agree to give the response, you have to follow someone who was in front of the entirety of Congress, in the Capitol building who, no matter how popular they are, received multiple standing ovations and walked off to thunderous applause. Then you have to give a speech in some dinky room with no audience except a sound guy and a camera man. The only way anyone is going to remember you even gave a speech in a week is if you doing something that can be turned into a humorous gif like Rubio.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.
Yeah, and Jindal's numbers suck in Louisiana. It seems betting the future on the state on commodity prices via tax cuts and just hoping oil prices rose indefinitely was a... BAD??? plan??

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Will that matter though? Are bad poll numbers going to affect his re-election chances when the alternative is a Democrat?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

oldswitcheroo posted:

Yeah, and Jindal's numbers suck in Louisiana. It seems betting the future on the state on commodity prices via tax cuts and just hoping oil prices rose indefinitely was a... BAD??? plan??

Hey, maybe they can peg it to bitcoins next, I hear they're going up uP UP!

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Aliquid posted:

I thought she had a chance at Missouri last year but whoops the state party is a dumpster fire.

It really is. I volunteered for it, and there are some really nice well meaning individuals, but they know they have no chance in areas outside of Kansas City and St. Louis. They try, but this article is a pretty accurate picture. http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2012/10/missouri_politics_why_the_swing_state_is_now_a_red_state_.html

It's frustrating because I'm from Springfield, and the entire college community just doesn't vote. It's how we provide such wonderful people like Roy Blunt and Billy Long.

I've matured since, but I'm never going to forget the angry, constant conversations with my coworkers in 2008 that Obama isn't a Muslim, and no your friend who says he'll kill the black president isn't going to do anything because he's a meth addict. Several woman asked me for Obama stickers because they thought it'd be a fun relic after he was killed. And I'm not exaggerating that.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

So nice I watched it twice

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

More White Noise posted:

Ted Cruz was the only senator to not vote on Loretta Lynch's confirmation as AG today.

Ted Cruz is gunning for the pro-weed electorate?

Prosopagnosiac
May 19, 2007

One of us! One of us! Aqua Buddha! Aqua Buddha! One of us!

Nonsense posted:

Ted Cruz is gunning for the pro-weed electorate?

Does that mean that Lynch is going to rollback Eric Holder's tentative ambivalence on medical and state level legalization efforts?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Prosopagnosiac posted:

Does that mean that Lynch is going to rollback Eric Holder's tentative ambivalence on medical and state level legalization efforts?

Arguably its already too late. They could try, but I think trying to put the genie back into the bottle at this point is going to prove to be more trouble than its worth.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I thought one of the bigger hurdles to the legalization movement was the DEA chief that got shitcanned because DEA people were partying with Colombian drug lords. She was a huge opponent of even lowering its schedule ranking, and would be telling people the president was wrong when he'd say stuff like weed being less harmful than the big opponents like to make it out as.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

echronorian posted:

On the other hand, that's more punishment than a US police officer sees for actually executing someone

Army officers don't have a union protecting them.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

Radish posted:

Will that matter though? Are bad poll numbers going to affect his re-election chances when the alternative is a Democrat?

Well, he's term limited so he can't run for Governor again. And though he would probably carry Louisiana in a potential presidential general election, I seriously doubt his ability to win as a favorite son candidate in a primary. And if he can't carry his home state in the primary.... he's not getting to the general.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Drunk infowarriors are the best infowarriors.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

oldswitcheroo posted:

Well, he's term limited so he can't run for Governor again. And though he would probably carry Louisiana in a potential presidential general election, I seriously doubt his ability to win as a favorite son candidate in a primary. And if he can't carry his home state in the primary.... he's not getting to the general.

And a republican doesn't need "gently caress LSU" credentials to carry the rest of the SEC.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

hobbesmaster posted:

Hey, maybe they can peg it to bitcoins next, I hear they're going up uP UP!

Meanwhile, with his son running for President, Ron is running these ads (click to listen):

quote:

PAUL: “Hi, Ron Paul here. Today I have an urgent message for every American who’s retired or thinking about retiring soon. You see, our own government’s disastrous policies have now put you, me, and everyone over the age of 50 at great risk. Sometime in the near future, we’re going to have yet another financial crisis. This one won’t be solved with bailouts, and it will hit seniors the hardest. I fear there will be civil unrest, a drop in stock prices, pension fund collapses, big changes to Social Security and Medicare, the erosion of personal liberties, bank and brokerage closings, and ultimately a major crisis, as the U.S. dollar is rejected for almost any non-paper alternative.”

NARRATOR: “Don’t let this happen to your retirement. Dr. Ron Paul strongly believes when the next crisis hits, there will be no warning, and the government won’t save you. Go online to https://www.ronpaulwarning6.com where you’ll learn simple steps you can take to protect your retirement. Go to [removed URL for scammy site].”

I took out the address of the site he wants you to go to because it had a bunch of script popups and other nonsense.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Joementum posted:

Meanwhile, with his son running for President, Ron is running these ads (click to listen):

quote:

I fear there will be civil unrest, a drop in stock prices, pension fund collapses, big changes to Social Security and Medicare, the erosion of personal liberties, bank and brokerage closings, and ultimately a major crisis

I took out the address of the site he wants you to go to because it had a bunch of script popups and other nonsense.

In this ad Ron Paul fantasizes for the coming of RaHoWa.

When it comes, it'll be every man and his Aqua Buddha son for himself :freep:

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

SunshineDanceParty posted:

It really is. I volunteered for it, and there are some really nice well meaning individuals, but they know they have no chance in areas outside of Kansas City and St. Louis. They try, but this article is a pretty accurate picture. http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2012/10/missouri_politics_why_the_swing_state_is_now_a_red_state_.html

It's frustrating because I'm from Springfield, and the entire college community just doesn't vote. It's how we provide such wonderful people like Roy Blunt and Billy Long.

I've matured since, but I'm never going to forget the angry, constant conversations with my coworkers in 2008 that Obama isn't a Muslim, and no your friend who says he'll kill the black president isn't going to do anything because he's a meth addict. Several woman asked me for Obama stickers because they thought it'd be a fun relic after he was killed. And I'm not exaggerating that.

That's a great article by Joementum, and pretty drat close to straight-up saying that Missouri and Kansas are just running a low-budget production of Blazing Saddles. I think it's really interesting how much the Obama elections turned race into a crowbar that finally pried racist Democrats away from the Democratic party. Now the question is: can they ever be turned back into Democrats?

I can't imagine that they will. Under our working assumption that Hillaryis45, there's no way they'll be able to go back to the attitudes they held 20 years ago, when it was Bill running. It's not even Hillary herself, but the Obama one-drop rule that killed Christie, and which Hillary is now irrevocably tied to. Putting this together with the earlier commentary about how the liberal half of the Democrats under Kennedy raised Obama up specifically to kick Hillary's rear end, it's almost satisfying to see how consistent the Clinton "Third-Way" business is. There's not much to be gained by shifting right any more, so now that we're playing a purely partisan game, there's more to be gained by pandering to liberals.

Whatever it takes to get elected, right? Maybe Hillary will dazzle all of us here in D&D with some fresh liberal-sounding bait, and we'll all bite the hook again.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
New Fox News poll:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

A wide spread of low numbers and lots of variation between polls - now that's what I like to see! Guarantees a good, proper, chaotic primary!

When's the first debate? I can't wait!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

It's almost like your numbers go up when you get your name in the news.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

So Rubio is flavor of the news cycle until Carly Fiorina or Ben Carson make their announcements in, what, two weeks?

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Titus Sardonicus posted:

So Rubio is flavor of the news cycle until Carly Fiorina or Ben Carson make their announcements in, what, two weeks?

The GOP is thirsty for change.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
urgh its shameful but its so loving easy god give me strength

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

It's almost like your numbers go up when you get your name in the news.

Unless you're Carly Fiorina

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

ReidRansom posted:

Unless you're Carly Fiorina

And the news isn't that you're exiting the race.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I want to know who the 3% that chose "none of the above" are holding out for. The gang's all here, guys. There's no more clowns we can stuff in this particular Volkswagen.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So is the story about Hillary personally benefiting from a bribe to sell America's uranium to the Russians and then single handedly approving the sale on behalf of America going to have legs or not. It's what every talking head on the radio was on about today.

I know that's not really what the story says but my characterization is pretty much what FOX and the talking heads are saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

paranoid randroid posted:

I want to know who the 3% that chose "none of the above" are holding out for. The gang's all here, guys. There's no more clowns we can stuff in this particular Volkswagen.

Bob Erhlich has a posse!

• Locked thread