Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Hi I'm not gonna read this thread, is the OP still useful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

KyloWinter posted:

Very.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

GunnerJ posted:

Did I read somewhere that this whole thing was either Arthmoor's idea or something he heavily pushed for?

Apparently he was involved with the talks in setting all this up.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Whelp. The paid content shift is already happening.

Skyforge Weapons and Skyforge Shields were deleted off of the Nexus and moved to the paid section on Steam.

gently caress Bethesda. This is the last game I buy from them. This poo poo's just going to get worse before it even has a chance of getting better, isn't it?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Archonex posted:

Skyforge Weapons and Skyforge Shields were deleted off of the Nexus and moved to the paid section on Steam.

gently caress Bethesda. This is the last game I buy from them. This poo poo's just going to get worse before it even has a chance of getting better, isn't it?

Just wait a month when people realise they cannot earn poo poo from this

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Bholder posted:

I don't understand how someone would be so stupid as to not already realize this.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I think Skyrim's modding community is going to be fine. There are enough mods and enough modding tools out there to sustain the community in spite of everything.

I bet the next Elder Scrolls and Fallout games aren't going to have anywhere near as prolific or as quality mods as Skyrim, though. TESVI's modding community is going to be dead on arrival if Valve doesn't smother this pay-for-mods stuff in its crib.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

KyloWinter posted:

Other than the link to Alluvion which is now a super annoying spam website, yeah. Set me up for a pretty good second playthrough(first on PC).

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Bholder posted:

But Bethesda's not really offering them that. They're offering modders the chance to feel like they're very important professional people on the interwebz, money be damned. It's all about the ego. This is basically the pinnacle of their lives.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr E posted:

I don't understand how someone would be so stupid as to not already realize this.

Come visit the Awful Mods thread sometime. You really don't understand just how much these people believe they are gods gift to gamers.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
You're going to see a lot of mods get put behind a paywall but once downloads and interest starts to drop like a rock things will swing the other way.

A donation system is the only way to go because mods have no obligation to have standards, support or to even be finished and designed properly. I make mods for casual personal use and it is really loving easy to make mods. The three big hurdles are: scripting, modeling, and texturing. If you can do 1 of those three you've basically got the ability to make almost anything with enough time and effort.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Bholder posted:

So far there have been 19 lovely mods and they've sold 2094 units between them so far. As far as free money goes...

I mean look at it this way. These mods have already been made, there's a time investment close to zero to putting them up as a paid mod. Every sale of the paid mod is money they would not have gotten otherwise. If the paid thing doesn't work out, they close that part of the mod and put it back up for free. Some people will boycott the free mod then because the author had it up paid before, but the vast majority of people will go hey cool mod and download it. There is literally no risk to a mod developer doing this short of the entire modding community banding together against this...except that most of the big name modders are already on the paid side.

Also, these paid mods are now in an exclusive part of the Workshop. Most of these mods are pieces of poo poo that no one would look at twice otherwise, but until this section is completely flood(which considering the banking/tax stuff that has to go into setting up a paid mod will take awhile) it's basically a massive publicity booster.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 24, 2015

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The mod creators could earn far, far more with donations via patreon by aggressively advertising the mod but keeping it free than they could locking it behind a paywall where they get a tiny percentage of the profit.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Strategic Tea posted:

But Bethesda's not really offering them that. They're offering modders the chance to feel like they're very important professional people on the interwebz, money be damned. It's all about the ego. This is basically the pinnacle of their lives.

That's why you give them a month to notice

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The mod creators could earn far, far more with donations via patreon by aggressively advertising the mod but keeping it free than they could locking it behind a paywall where they get a tiny percentage of the profit.

Patreon is banned on Nexus and they only allow their own donation system without any advertisement to it.

I think they are afraid of the legal repercussions that the modmaker might "sell" their mods this way

Bholder fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 24, 2015

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009

Archonex posted:

Those in Immersive Armors/Weapons, so expect that to get updated soon.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

You know what, I honestly don't think so. Or rather, I think that may be true for the big beloved mods. But all these mediocre-to-bad mods, or those that are relatively small maybe adding a couple items or something? They're probably gonna do WAY better here, at least those that are visible.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
So like, whats gonna happen when a mod you paid for fucks up another mod you paid for with an update like 3 months after you paid for both of them?

Modding T:ES games (or games in general really) has always been a roll of the dice, now I gotta pay for this poo poo?!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bholder posted:

Patreon is banned on Nexus and they only allow their own donation system without any advertisement to it.

I think they are afraid of the legal repercussions that the modmaker might "sell" their mods this way

I didn't even think of that. Has the Bethesda EULA changed so that Bethesda doesn't technically own every mod ever made now, making this even scummier?

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
Is pirating mods going to become a thing now? Can it be a thing?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Killsion posted:

Is pirating mods going to become a thing now? Can it be a thing?

The question we should be asking is why does it need to even be a thing

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So like, whats gonna happen when a mod you paid for fucks up another mod you paid for with an update like 3 months after you paid for both of them?

Modding T:ES games (or games in general really) has always been a roll of the dice, now I gotta pay for this poo poo?!

According to Valve you have to "ask the modmaker politely to fix it"

To be fair, it was always a thing, thanks to Nexus and general modmaker behaviour

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

True, more just curious if things like Steam Workshop mods could actually be taken and just uploaded onto dropbox or something and installed normally like with MO. I've never actually used a Steam only mod so I'm unaware if they work differently.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Rookersh posted:

But when the Unofficial Patches become $5 each ( because guess what Arthmoor is the main pusher of this apparently )

I don't think they can do this, because the unofficial patches use content from other mods, including mine.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Archonex posted:

gently caress Dreogan. I thought he was cool. Guess I was wrong.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
Welcome to ModGate!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Imo everyone start backing up your mod folders with posthaste.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Killsion posted:

True, more just curious if things like Steam Workshop mods could actually be taken and just uploaded onto dropbox or something and installed normally like with MO. I've never actually used a Steam only mod so I'm unaware if they work differently.

Someone will now have to buy it in order to do this.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Gyshall posted:

Imo everyone start backing up your mod folders with posthaste.

I just went gently caress it and uninstalled Skyrim and New Vegas. I had my fun with them, but I refuse to support Bethesda, Valve and the modders over this any more.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Killsion posted:

They're just normal BSAs and ESPs (and apparently now ESMs?) like any other mod.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I just went gently caress it and uninstalled Skyrim and New Vegas. I had my fun with them, but I refuse to support Bethesda, Valve and the modders over this any more.
They already have your money, uninstalling won't do anything as far as "support" goes. Just use Nexus-exclusive mods to support modders that don't buy into this poo poo.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009

Scyantific posted:

gently caress Dreogan. I thought he was cool. Guess I was wrong.

Yo I never added anything new to this mod but I'll go ahead and start charging for it.

Moving stuff off the Nexus also sucks for MO users, since a lot of the convenient features are Nexus only.

I honestly won't be surprised if we see something that let's you buy a mod on Steam and then access it from the Nexus with a key code or some poo poo.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Flagrant Abuse posted:

They already have your money, uninstalling won't do anything as far as "support" goes. Just use Nexus-exclusive mods to support modders that don't buy into this poo poo.

To be honest, I haven't been playing either game for a while now and they were just taking up space on my hard drive. It was fun but considering a good number of mods in the OP of this thread is now asking for money, I'm pretty much done with the series.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Ahahaha. One of the unapproved paid mods is great. Someone is taking the piss out of steam. Or seeing how far they can get with this poo poo:

Horse Genitals High Resolution Textures (PREMIUM MOD) posted:

Your Skyrim Experience will never be the same

It costs $99 dollars.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 24, 2015

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

cool bro, fight the power

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Posted on the official forums a much more tempered response, but here I don't have to be measured: this is a loving outrage bullshit move, Bethesda. I love you, but sometimes you have to hope what you love learns their lesson, so I hope this blows the gently caress up in your face.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

yeah I am like the biggest bethesda fanboy but I hope this blows up catastrophically.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 24, 2015

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Orv posted:

Come visit the Awful Mods thread sometime. You really don't understand just how much these people believe they are gods gift to gamers.

I visit it all the time, I still have no more understanding.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Man Whore posted:

yeah I am like the biggest bethesda fanboy but I hope this blows up catastrophically.

for both companies

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
The minimum threshold on "pay what you want" is probably intended to cover transaction costs. Keep in mind many credit card companies charge $2-3 to vendors for each purchase. It's the reason so many credit card companies offer some % "cash back" to their users, and why you'll rarely see a gift card worth less than $5.

Fun fact: The minimum $100 payment to modders is a very typical payment threshold in the insurance industry in the US for independent brokers/agents.

The issues of "mod piracy" are going to be very tricky for Bethesda. To date, the modding community largely polices itself. Even the :nexus: heavy-handed approach hasn't crushed all creativity. As soon as money gets involved, though, people start getting litigious. At the same time: how do you enforce it? Mods that don't involve code is just application configuration. I suppose character dialogue could be copywritten. It's just going to be a pain in the rear end all around.

I feel bad for the STEP team. Good luck keeping track of "paid", "unpaid", and "unpaid but has paid dependencies".

On the bright side, there's some very funny stuff right now. High-resolution horse genitals are going for $99. "Your Skyrim Experience will never be the same"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

On the bright side, there's some very funny stuff right now. High-resolution horse genitals are going for $99. "Your Skyrim Experience will never be the same"
I'm pretty sure that guy is just taking the piss out of this whole thing.

• Locked thread