Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
(softly, as though from a great distance) Newt! Newt! Newt! Newt!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Three squared is nine.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

paranoid randroid posted:

I want to know who the 3% that chose "none of the above" are holding out for. The gang's all here, guys. There's no more clowns we can stuff in this particular Volkswagen.

Pence, Snyder, Mitt, Gilmore.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Dunno if I'd be more excited to see Bolton or Palin on the debate stage.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Let's be real though, Bring Back Sky Admiral Bachmann

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Also, these polling firms should really include Vermin Supreme. I mean, if you're including Donald Trump, you don't have an excuse to exclude anyone and Vermin goes to the trouble of actually getting on the ballot.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
... and then when JEB fails a third ballot at the convention WHAM!! Jon Huntsman from out of nowhere on a brokered unity ticket!!!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

I want to know who the 3% that chose "none of the above" are holding out for. The gang's all here, guys. There's no more clowns we can stuff in this particular Volkswagen.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

He was in the poll. Got 2%.

Unless you mean the dog, in which case I endorse. That Dog 2016 :3:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
The dog.

e:b

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

radical meme posted:

So is the story about Hillary personally benefiting from a bribe to sell America's uranium to the Russians and then single handedly approving the sale on behalf of America going to have legs or not. It's what every talking head on the radio was on about today.

I know that's not really what the story says but my characterization is pretty much what FOX and the talking heads are saying.

After the Republicans have cried wolf over every imaginable scandal regarding the Clintons, I don't know what it'd take to actually stick anymore. Something daring and juicy like a covered-up murder? Yawn, yeah right, been done. A sex scandal? Didn't work last time. Something dull and technical like the email thing? Already forgotten about it, put it on the pile. Some kind of conspiracy? Tighten up that tinfoil, Benghazi-buddy.

There's just no kind of scandal regarding the Clintons we haven't seen a dozen times before, people are jaded and go into them assuming it's a mountain from a molehill and not worth paying attention to. The most I can imagine is that once the campaign proper is underway and the average voter is paying attention to politics again, campaign scandals like Mitt Romney's 47% comment might matter. Hillary still has some weaknesses, it just probably helps that anyone she'll be up against has as many or more.

Obama's debates were must-watch TV and I think the same will be true for Hillary's. If it's her vs. Bush the Iraq issue alone is going to make for some convoluted answers.

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*

Honestly I suspect the answer is

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

oldswitcheroo posted:

Well, he's term limited so he can't run for Governor again. And though he would probably carry Louisiana in a potential presidential general election, I seriously doubt his ability to win as a favorite son candidate in a primary. And if he can't carry his home state in the primary.... he's not getting to the general.

A dead cat running as a Republican would win Louisiana.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Gravel Gravy posted:

Surprised he even got that much punishment given how Jack Bauer the establishment was in those days.

The armed services were never as down with that stuff as the intelligence community and the executive branch, According to reports about Abu Ghraib, for example, a lot of the misconduct by those soldiers was actually them imitating the CIA personnel they were working with. And of course a bunch of them got scapegoated and wrecked under the UCMJ.

The Allen West thing happened rather early in the occupation. He was drummed out in November 2003. The situation from the perspective of higher-ups is you have a colonel ordering his men to kidnap and torture a random Iraqi policeman, and then he personally mock executes the guy. As a bonus, the Iraqi was innocent and knew nothing. So first off, West is an erratic idiot. Even just on that basis you maybe don't want him in a command position--he's a danger to civilians and to his men. Second, he is not being a good example to his subordinates and other officers. You have to let them know that being that guy gets you canned, so don't be that guy. Third, the Iraqis and in particular the Iraqi cops knew what he did. That's going to [A] piss them off because he tortured a guy and [B] arouse their contempt because he even hosed that up. You're gonna have to work with those people in the future.

So they kinda had to can him.

As to the establishment being Jack Bauer fans, that didn't save his career but it did get him placed in a new one. He got a lot of positive press in the conservative media for what he did, and how it got him fired (durn liberal pussies). He parlayed that buzz into his political career. Straight up, people voted for him because he tortured an Arab for no good reason.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

rockefeller republicans who keep forgetting to change their registration

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

EvanSchenck posted:

As to the establishment being Jack Bauer fans, that didn't save his career but it did get him placed in a new one. He got a lot of positive press in the conservative media for what he did, and how it got him fired (durn liberal pussies). He parlayed that buzz into his political career. Straight up, people voted for him because he tortured an Arab for no good reason.

9/11 is a hell of a drug :911: :okpos:

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

They long for "generic Republican"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Bolton is missing from that list :unsmigghh:

E: goddamnit Joe

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
By the way, Rand Paul has said this week that he's "heard about" and is "looking into" the situation with the Walmart closures.

Want to know about about this? Well, here's a video from Alex Jones about how this is a conspiracy to link up Walmarts using underground tunnels for the military to turn the stores into FEMA deathcamps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIalJZeKwbw

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Joementum posted:

Unless you mean the dog, in which case I endorse. That Dog 2016 :3:
That dog looks exactly like my dog.

Joementum, use your amazing newsreading powers to find out the breed.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Jesus. The GOP side of things this time around is going to make 2012 look quick and orderly.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I've yet to see a candidate wear Salvatore Ferragamo. Until I do, I withhold my vote.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Joementum posted:

By the way, Rand Paul has said this week that he's "heard about" and is "looking into" the situation with the Walmart closures.

Want to know about about this? Well, here's a video from Alex Jones about how this is a conspiracy to link up Walmarts using underground tunnels for the military to turn the stores into FEMA deathcamps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIalJZeKwbw

My heart tells me that is true, but the facts say that it is probably going to be about the closed stores being sites of planned protests. The workers were told at 7PM the night before that they were going to be closed for renovations for an undetermined amount of time when they had already been renovated a few months earlier without being closed.

I really hope it's the Alex Jones thing though.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Jesus. The GOP side of things this time around is going to make 2012 look quick and orderly.

The crazy field will dry up quickly if the Establishment are able to hold them out of the debates and events. I'm sure if Reince had his way the debates would just be Jeb, Rubio, Walker and maybe one carefully-vetted crazy person for favorable contrast.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
The hilarity of the first republican debate can be described as such

h = nx

where n is the craziest world view to get expressed first, and x is the number of candidates.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

I have a strange feeling...that people are having sex...and it's not with me
Somewhere a number of pages back there was a debate over whether perry's 'oops' moment was really a big enough deal to shut him out as a serious candidate, and why he's still perceived as a joke. I was thinking about that the other day and if I remember correctly, his comments about anyone wanting to deny some sort of benefit to illegals (in state tuition?)being "heartless" did him in well before that.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

PupsOfWar posted:

The crazy field will dry up quickly if the Establishment are able to hold them out of the debates and events. I'm sure if Reince had his way the debates would just be Jeb, Rubio, Walker and maybe one carefully-vetted crazy person for favorable contrast.

The GOP is using debates as leverage right now, if you participate in a non-sanctioned debate (like Values Voters), you get locked out of the Serious Debates. If they don't even hand out invitations to the clown car, they'll start their own Republican Primary, with raptures, speaking in tongues, and an empty podium labelled "Jeb Bush" being asked why her personally murders infants.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bill Clinton got booed off the DNC stage in 1988.

Nixon told the press they wouldn't have him to kick around any more in 1962.

Unfortunately for Rick Perry, he's nowhere near as good a politician as those two, but don't be fooled into thinking that a candidate can't remake themselves.

eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

I have a strange feeling...that people are having sex...and it's not with me
What I'm thinking is he may have to remake himself not only as competent, but as more socially conservative. Then again, no one may remember that he even said that.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

nice underground tactical arms shirt

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I always figured what Perry lacked was a Hook.

Seems like he doesn't do much that other candidates can't do better.

Romney had the stern, patrician "I understand Business and the Economy, unlike the probably-illiterate negro barack hussein obama" thing down, as do a number of people who could run next cycle (rauner, haslem, snyder).

Rubio has the "I'm the face of New Conservatism, lookit my handsome mug" thing.

Cruz is your resident firebrand.

Rand is your resident libertarian who can appeal to the youth and pretend to appeal to minorities.

What does Perry bring to the table, other than being an inferior, significantly-less-likable version of Dubya?

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 24, 2015

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

eternalname posted:

What I'm thinking is he may have to remake himself not only as competent, but as more socially conservative. Then again, no one may remember that he even said that.

Yes he has to remake himself as socially conservative, very astute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V78ReJbjdxo

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

They've found him and his name is Scott Walker

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I think the term you're looking for is Ronald Wilson Reagan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

PupsOfWar posted:

What does Perry bring to the table, other than being an inferior, significantly-less-likable version of Dubya?

Pills, and them dang ol' glasses!

• Locked thread