Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I want this to blow up so badly it takes down the whole bullshit economies of Dota and TF2, because this is just Valve trying to reach that nonsense over here and Bethesda wanting a good slice of the bullshit pie money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Thug Lessons posted:

I don't think they can do this, because the unofficial patches use content from other mods, including mine.

Which means the unofficial patches will probably have been removed from nexus by this time tomorrow. You had better back up your mods folder right loving now.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Eric the Mauve posted:

Which means the unofficial patches will probably have been removed from nexus by this time tomorrow. You had better back up your mods folder right loving now.

Currently in progress

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

AHungryRobot posted:

I'm pretty sure that guy is just taking the piss out of this whole thing.

As is this guy: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430858236

Edit: Also, you can probably easily "buy" a mod you really really want, extract the files, and ask for a refund in the first 24 hours after purchase. Of course, I'm sure Steam will lock down any abuse of this system.

Nycticeius fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 24, 2015

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Nycticeius posted:

As is this guy: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430858236

Edit: Also, you can probably easily "buy" a mod you really really want, extract the files, and ask for a refund in the first 24 hours after purchase. Of course, I'm sure Steam will lock down any abuse of this system.

it only refunds to your steam wallet i think.

nacon
May 7, 2005

Orange Crush Rush posted:

The question we should be asking is why does it need to even be a thing

Because gamers are entitled babies who don't want to pay content creators for their work. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

The root of this issue is that Skyrim mods have all been free up to today, and now mod creators can ask to be paid for their work. Some games never set the expectation that anything would be free - see the Player Studio in Planetside 2, for instance: SOE had folks using the Player Studio to add new helmets, skins, camos, etc to the game, using this model (SOE and player split it 50/50.) I know of several content creators who got checks in the thousands of dollars for their work - and they never got accused of betraying the great spirit of modding or destroying PC gaming as we know it.

If the mod is lovely, don't pay for it. If you buy it, and realize it's lovely, refund it.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Pity, one big drama bomb has already been avoided. The Art of the Catch guy was using FNIS stuff in the mod, which he hadn't gotten permission to monetize from the FNIS guy for. FNIS guy chimes in and says that yeah this was without his permission and that he really hates this paid mod move. And then the Art of the Catch guy decides to be totally reasonable, say that he was under a non-disclosure agreement so obviously he couldn't contact FNIS beforehand and that Valve said it was perfectly fine if it was available elsewhere for free...and then goes on to say he'll contact FNIS and defer to him and close it down and issue a full refund to all subscribers if that's what he wants. Go Chesko I guess?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

nacon posted:

Because gamers are entitled babies who don't want to pay content creators for their work. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

The root of this issue is that Skyrim mods have all been free up to today, and now mod creators can ask to be paid for their work. Some games never set the expectation that anything would be free - see the Player Studio in Planetside 2, for instance: SOE had folks using the Player Studio to add new helmets, skins, camos, etc to the game, using this model (SOE and player split it 50/50.) I know of several content creators who got checks in the thousands of dollars for their work - and they never got accused of betraying the great spirit of modding or destroying PC gaming as we know it.

If the mod is lovely, don't pay for it. If you buy it, and realize it's lovely, refund it.

People have been getting paid for mods, it's called donations. And while it wasn't forced, they got 100% of it. On that note, all mods on the Workshop that had donation links in the description are getting taken down until they remove their links:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430854203

Also, there's also the possibility that a mod ends up loving with your savefile after an update 2 months later, and you can't get a refund because it's only 24 hours. Even if you can get a refund, you only get it back in $team Bux.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

nacon posted:

I'd say the fact that Valve and Bethesda take 75% of each mod's earnings undercuts the angle of giving back to mod-makers for their hard earned work. There's more to this than "I don't want to pay for mods that used to be free," this is going to change the type and the quantity of mods that get made in ways that are uncertain at the moment but probably not in a way that most players consider positive.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

AHungryRobot posted:

I'm pretty sure that guy is just taking the piss out of this whole thing.

No poo poo.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

nacon posted:

No, I think it's actually lovely that Valve and Bethsoft will be receiving 75% of profit. There were already ways to donate to content creators.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
XP32 Maximum Skeleton: A multi purpose skeleton for animations in Skyrim. Includes a new skeleton structure.

Anyone know where I can find this?

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Ynglaur posted:

The minimum threshold on "pay what you want" is probably intended to cover transaction costs. Keep in mind many credit card companies charge $2-3 to vendors for each purchase. It's the reason so many credit card companies offer some % "cash back" to their users, and why you'll rarely see a gift card worth less than $5.

Fun fact: The minimum $100 payment to modders is a very typical payment threshold in the insurance industry in the US for independent brokers/agents.

The issues of "mod piracy" are going to be very tricky for Bethesda. To date, the modding community largely polices itself. Even the :nexus: heavy-handed approach hasn't crushed all creativity. As soon as money gets involved, though, people start getting litigious. At the same time: how do you enforce it? Mods that don't involve code is just application configuration. I suppose character dialogue could be copywritten. It's just going to be a pain in the rear end all around.

When you upload a paid mod you set the price and the pay what you want minimum but can only go as low as 25 cents. Mods that have higher pay what you wants is because the modder chose it. I'm really upset you can't make it $0 since I would totally have an easy to use donations buttons for my work but the only option now is make 2 copies where one is free. I also expect a lot of mods never to break the $100 minimum since they are mods for a game not pay for a god drat job.

Valve has a DMCA takedown form for content and the upload thing has a notification that you will forfeit your earnings if your poo poo is someone else's work. They've previously taken down mods if the creator filled it out if they weren't the uploader. Probably gonna be a mess at some point though. Textures and models are clearly copywriteable and scripts presumably are too. Beyond that its iffy about what exactly in a mod would be because copywrite laws are hosed.

AHungryRobot posted:

it only refunds to your steam wallet i think.

And only in the first 24 hours. If it turns out to be broken as poo poo later you are out of luck. Horrible save corruption? Oh well.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I have (and continue to buy) lots of Planetside 2 player created content and support Minecraft people on Patreon.

Why do I want to pay Bethesda 75%of whatever a mod costs again? Why can't I give it directly to content creators?

These are the things I'm confused by, and I think the discussions on the monetized mod things only included Bethesda, Valve, and mod creators. They didn't invite any players though so the backlash is coming unexpectedly. It owns.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Can we just all agree this is poop?

Because it is poop. For literally everyone involved.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Can we just all agree this is poop?

Because it is poop. For literally everyone involved.

I dunno, it's a pretty good deal on Valve/Bethsoft's end.

nacon
May 7, 2005

Orange Crush Rush posted:

People have been getting paid for mods, it's called donations. And while it wasn't forced, they got 100% of it. On that note, all mods on the Workshop that had donation links in the description are getting taken down until they remove their links:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430854203

Also, there's also the possibility that a mod ends up loving with your savefile after an update 2 months later, and you can't get a refund because it's only 24 hours. Even if you can get a refund, you only get it back in $team Bux.

And modders can still ask for donations via Nexus, if they want to. Though, a fixed pricing model does seem better all-around for modders. On principle, I don't think there's anything wrong with modders/artists asking for money for their work, instead of giving it away or making a monetary contribution voluntary.

As for support after an update, I think it's a reasonable concern. Modders will find themselves in the position of having to update their mods to keep repeat customers happy. Though it is still a possibility that somebody publishes a "one-and-done" cash grab.

Pakled posted:

I'd say the fact that Valve and Bethesda take 75% of each mod's earnings undercuts the angle of giving back to mod-makers for their hard earned work. There's more to this than "I don't want to pay for mods that used to be free," this is going to change the type and the quantity of mods that get made in ways that are uncertain at the moment but probably not in a way that most players consider positive.

I agree with you that the 75% going to Valve and Bethesda is crap. Modders should at least get 50% of the revenue from their mods, if not a greater cut (the 50% number is what I recall being the case for the PS2 player studio). Though, the modders in this case can set their own prices with an eye towards the returns they want. All the same, the chance to make money on their mods through a well-established distribution platform that advertises to every single player that buys the game through Steam isn't something to sniff at.

As for the type and quantity of mods, I think the uncertainty is there... but a monetary incentive, and the possibility of ongoing monetary support for modding seems like the hardcore modders/developers would benefit and want to create more content. But, there is still the possibility of junk. Again, I don't think this blows the whole experiment out of the water, it necessitates careful moderation by Bethesda and Valve on what makes it into the steam for-sale workshop.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

KakerMix posted:

I have (and continue to buy) lots of Planetside 2 player created content and support Minecraft people on Patreon.

Why do I want to pay Bethesda 75%of whatever a mod costs again? Why can't I give it directly to content creators?

These are the things I'm confused by, and I think the discussions on the monetized mod things only included Bethesda, Valve, and mod creators. They didn't invite any players though so the backlash is coming unexpectedly. It owns.

The Nexus lets you donate directly to mod creators with no money skimmed off the top. The reason Valve and Bethesda take a cut out of monetized mods on Steam Workshop is because they can.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Mr E posted:

I dunno, it's a pretty good deal on Valve/Bethsoft's end.

It's okay for them, I suppose, because there will always be idiots that will buy the mods anyways.

But for everyone else? Poop.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

According to Chesko(one of the paid mod guys) this is the breakdown.

Chesko posted:

Valve: 30% (A portion of which can be diverted to other sources, such as the MCM, the Nexus, and other Service Providers)
Bethesda: 45%
Mod Developer(s): 25%

Valve is getting equal or less of a cut than the mod developer overall, Bethesda is getting the lions share.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I don't like that there's no way of making donations optional if you're asking for money, or am I mistaken?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

No. The ones with donation buttons have been suspended until the modders remove them.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Pakled posted:

The Nexus lets you donate directly to mod creators with no money skimmed off the top. The reason Valve and Bethesda take a cut out of monetized mods on Steam Workshop is because they can.

Right, so what is to stop Bethesda from deciding that for Fallout 4 or the next Elder Scrolls saying that sites like Nexus can't host mods anymore because of a TOS like they do with the selling mods part (doesn't count for Steam obv.)? Right now Bethesda gets 45% of that 75% cut selling mods, which is better than 0% than they'd get from Nexus and Bethesda is a for-profit company so.....?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I'm actually okay with Steam providing an avenue for modders to sell their work but they need to change the buy/subscribe interface. Make it like Bandcamp where you type in what you wanna pay so the authors can either set a minimum or let anyone download it for free by inputting 0. It's a much better way to solicit donations than some easily-ignored button.

That said this is gonna be a huge mess because if you thought mod authors could be cagey before holy poo poo now that there's money on the line. But it may also attract new talent and result in better quality mods when all is said and done so we'll see how this goes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

KakerMix posted:

Right, so what is to stop Bethesda from deciding that for Fallout 4 or the next Elder Scrolls saying that sites like Nexus can't host mods anymore because of a TOS like they do with the selling mods part (doesn't count for Steam obv.)? Right now Bethesda gets 45% of that 75% cut selling mods, which is better than 0% than they'd get from Nexus and Bethesda is a for-profit company so.....?

Correct. "All mods not hosted by the Steam Workshop are illegal" is precisely the next step in this game.

e: They won't do it for already existing games but they sure as poo poo are going to do it for future games.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

KakerMix posted:

Because they could've done it long ago.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Rinkles posted:

I don't like that there's no way of making donations optional if you're asking for money, or am I mistaken?

Right now, the way modders are getting around this is having two identical mods on the workshop, one that's free and one that's for donations. For instance:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=160829215
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430718983

But yeah, as others have said, Skyrim's modding community will probably weather this just fine, but this doesn't bode well for modding future TES and Fallout games.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
The biggest problem is that currently adding mods involves a lot of trial and error. I would be hesitant to fork out $5 for a mod that may not work, even if I've got a 24-hour return window. If valve can overcome this issue, and provide better support for mod compatibility, a la MO, they might get away with it. Perhaps a 7-day try before you buy model would be more suitable?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

By the very nature of modding it is pretty hard to make it "illegal" outside the workshop or whatever.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Bholder posted:

By the very nature of modding it is pretty hard to make it "illegal" outside the workshop or whatever.

No, it's very easy. "We own the game therefore we are allowed to dictate what channels modded content for this game are allowed to go through" is a thing they very much are legally entitled to say.

If you're saying the community won't stand for it that's a separate issue and remains to be seen, but there are no technical roadblocks here.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

The concept of a modder getting money doesn't bother me much, but the issue is that Skyrim and Beth games in general often have people downloading dozens of mods.

Even at low prices in the $1-3 range, for many people you're looking at paying the full price of the game again to get mods. Hope you like them.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009

JerikTelorian posted:

Hope you like them.

Oh god do we...

Skyrim gamers stealing TVs to support the habit while Bethesda looks down from a skyscraper.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I don't like the change, but mostly for selfish reasons (because I'm kinda poor atm).

However, the percentages seem borderline exploitative. Beth deserve a cut, but I don't think it should be bigger than the creator's.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Lol, if all my mods cost the same as Skyforge Shields/Weapons (which seems to be current average) i would have to shell out 304 dollars.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Eric the Mauve posted:

No, it's very easy. "We own the game therefore we are allowed to dictate what channels modded content for this game are allowed to go through" is a thing they very much are legally entitled to say.

If you're saying the community won't stand for it that's a separate issue and remains to be seen, but there are no technical roadblocks here.

Unless they start making their games always-online like Diablo 3 I don't see them being able to do much about unauthorized mods.

I don't think they're stupid enough to try it, though.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Republicans posted:

Unless they start making their games always-online like Diablo 3 I don't see them being able to do much about unauthorized mods.

I don't think they're stupid enough to try it, though.

Yesterday I would have said Valve wouldn't be stupid enough to try and sell workshop mods

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Dongattack posted:

Lol, if all my mods cost the same as Skyforge Shields/Weapons (which seems to be current average) i would have to shell out 304 dollars.

Might as well head to your local Games Workshop store and buy yourself a set of miniatures.

At least you get more creative control over the end product that way. Same price too.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

Yesterday I would have said Valve wouldn't be stupid enough to try and sell workshop mods

I thought it was only a matter of time. There's nothing stupid about letting people get paid for their work. Bethesda's share of the take is pretty stupid, though.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Does anybody know if the Purity mod they're selling is worth 3 dollars or whatever? Was it available for free before?

I'm an adult video gamer and I can't be arsed to gently caress around with STEP or whatever the poo poo, but I do desire better Skyrim graphics for the price of a caramel macchiato

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

None of the mods are worth the price they are asking

BUT THAT'S THE POINT OF FREE MARKET HURR DURR

• Locked thread