Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I could've worded that better. These are all examples of rapid advances in the face of virtually no opposition. Germany's eastern front advance was poorly managed and stalled repeatedly because of it, and stopped in its tracks (literally) the first time they actually had to fight Soviet forces on a similar scale to their own. Patton's a good example, though...I was strictly thinking about German employment. Guderian was a brilliant tactician, nothing more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Risket posted:

Blitzkreig as a tactic was very effective in Operation Barbarossa, and Patton's breakout from the Normandy beach head was effectively a copy of German offensive tactics. In addition, the only reason the Sherman was effective at all was numbers, and the fact that the Tigers were pretty unreliable.

The Sherman was a pretty decent tank, and also had good reliability. They were obviously helped greatly by being made in such numbers that the Germans simply couldn't compete with the size of the army (to the point where some American infantry units had more tanks than German Panzer units), but it's a myth that the Shermans were basically just disposable pieces of crap that only succeeded by being thrown en masse into Europe. The only tanks that totally outmatched the early Shermans were Tigers and Panthers (which had major issues with numbers and reliability, as well as other issues like slow turret traverse and a lack of unmagnified optics or periscope for the Panther gunner, which made it really hard for the gunners to spot targets on their own without really specific commands from the commander), and the models with bigger 76mm guns could take out a Tiger from any typical combat range. The Germans also suffered very heavily from poor armor manufacturing that caused virtually all models of their tanks -- Panzer IIIs to Panthers -- to suffer cracks from and popped welds even from non-penetrating shots, to the point where the on-paper armor thickness was lower than the actual effectiveness at protection.

Many of the myths about the vehicles came from non-tankers, who wouldn't have firsthand knowledge of how the actual fighting went and were stuck just observing whatever they could. All of the anecdotes of terrified soldiers seeing "invincible" Tigers and Panthers were people like common infantry and medics, while many tankers (especially Soviet ones) just viewed them as another tank, one that should be respected but was ultimately defeatable with proper tactics. Anecdotes and secondhand researchers have thus created the image of swarms of Shermans circling around individual Tigers and Panthers, sacrificing themselves until one of them makes a lucky kill shot through virtually impregnable armor.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Wasn't a lot of that unreliability due to Jewish laborers sabotaging the poo poo out of them? I think I read in this farm some dude even carved his initials inside ones armor or something

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Wasn't a lot of that unreliability due to Jewish laborers sabotaging the poo poo out of them? I think I read in this farm some dude even carved his initials inside ones armor or something

From what I understand, sabotage wasn't as easy as it would have been for American manufacturing because German manufacturing techniques were slower; workers stayed with one vehicle through its building process, whereas on an assembly line in the US the workers stay at their station and do one task to each vehicle as it passes. In an American system you can gently caress up every vehicle that comes your way, but you have much lower sabotage volume in Germany.

I'll dig up the sources when I get home, but I found some very detailed descriptions of the German problems. They had poor armor quality control, likely due to inexperience in making and hardening such thick armor as that of the Tigers, and it was overly hardened until it became brittle. They also had lovely welds, which broke easily. But even early Soviet tests of Panzer IIIs found cracking problems, and tests finding cracked armor was consistent through the war years over multiple models. The Panthers had plenty of issues themselves, like the aforementioned lack of unmagnified gunner sights and the turret actually rotating backwards under gravity if on a steep enough slope. But the biggest problem was that the final drive for the Panthers was (for at least a few years) so badly flawed that it wouldn't even last a few hundred kilometers before being expected to fail.

Obviously, this meant that the Panthers weren't at battles as often as they should have been. They were also expensive to transport, as they were fragile enough to require vehicle or train transportation virtually everywhere to avoid straining the final drive too much. And a tank that isn't at the battle, even if it's better in some ways than the enemy tanks, is the worst tank of all.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Their unreliability was due in part to the drivetrains on some German tanks being fantastically complex machines for what they were, and later the precipitous drop in quality caused by wartime rush and allied interdiction. Major sabotage by conscript labor is widely rumored, but usually it's hard to find authoritative sources. Usually it's an anecdote about Gramps being narrowly missed by a bomb that had had its explosive fill replaced with a note from Jewish/Polish/Norwegian workers. More common was simply doing a lovely job: pouring concrete too thin, or in a weak mixture, improperly finishing precision parts, loving up welds or drill press holes, and other stuff that's hard to distinguish from starving people being impressed to replace skilled labor. Probably for the best, since suspected saboteurs were hung or sent to a concentration camp.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 23, 2015

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Germany basically had no molybdenum to use in their steel making process. Like even from the outset. In reality german steel was pretty loving poo poo by literally any metric you could set for it. It didn't matter if the armor could stop a tank round if the armor spalled and turned the crew into loving hamburger anyway.

They also lacked tungsten which means their anti-tank shells were severely lacking.

Never mind that the Germany arms acquisition process was hilariously inefficient that makes our current system look streamline and efficient

Also the Sherman kicked a lot of rear end and the biggest issue they had in Normandy is they severely underestimated the quantities of Panthers they were going to encounter so they delayed the 76mm variant as long as possible because the HE shell was pretty terrible and Shermans were mostly used for infantry support than killing other tanks anyway.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I think the history channel programs are partly to blame for that widely held belief that you had to use swarms of Shermans to take out one Tiger. I specifically remember some battle recreation wankfest show doing exactly that.

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Godholio posted:

Alright, I'll step on the flaming bag of poo poo.

Do you have any idea what you're talking about? Let's break it down.

What was "the mig?" MiG is a loving company. That's like saying "the Boeing was good." For reference, nothing MiG has actually built since Vietnam has been groundbreaking or better than the stripped down & optionless version of its US counterpart. The MiG-21 was the last impressive thing they fielded, and it was quickly and decisively outclassed by everything the US was working on at the time. As far as the rest of the paragraph...no. Where did you hear that? I highly recommend you never ask that person a question again.

Your next paragraph makes no sense whatsoever.

The tank statements are where you come closest to reality, because the end result you describe is actually pretty accurate. But the Panzers weren't top of the line for very long. They had serious shortcomings that actually make it debatable whether they ever were. But they were good early in the war. However, the role of the German tank is grossly overstated in American pop culture. Blitzkreig was a tactic of limited use. It was never a strategy, and it was only effective on a large scale once...and in that case, it was only because Germany blazed through the Low Countries' forests much faster than in any planners' nightmares (particularly France)

I know I'm trying to bait you into telling me how air superiority planes work. You loving know the difference between mig planes? Sorry comrad. I love America.

But seriously, didn't the designer of the tomcat(maybe?) call the newest planes lemons because they had to have the specifications to fit the needs of all the branches? And in the process it sort of does nothing particularly well? I'm not talking about that one lokeehead Martin plane that "only a mother could love" because of the retarded intake thing, I think I'm talking about the other one. Curse my selective memory.

And weren't all the eurofighter pilots getting chubbes because they were getting kills on it? What's it called..?

Furthermore, the discussion on migs were a standin for talking about design philosophy. I think if you changed a few words you'd have a pretty functional report.

Completely unrelated: what's that drug that Intel people take that gives them lisps? And makes them lovely conversation partners?

killmeimmafailure fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 23, 2015

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've also heard Shermans were called Tommy cookers and the Ronson( a lighter) because there's a rumor that they lit the first time every time.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The Russians liked them because they didn't explode violently if they took a hit and allowed the crew to bail out :shrug:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This article includes some links to primary sources detailing the issues with German armor manufacture.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
the stug and the pak40 were actually the most deadly threats to allied tankers :ssh:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Bolow posted:

The Russians liked them because they didn't explode violently if they took a hit and allowed the crew to bail out :shrug:
I was watching this documentary one time that showed some Russian tank. Apparently the automated loading mechanism was really prone to mangling members of the crew.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Keeping all your ammo and powder in the crew compartment also makes penetrating hits spectacular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGaxZr1ZlAg&t=50s

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Dead Reckoning posted:

Westinghouse engines were selected to power most of the early Navy jets, on the strength of their WWII war contracts. Their early engines were chronically under-powered, which was not uncommon at the time, but they never were able to master compressor design or create a reliable engine control system. As a result, the J34 was underpowered, suffered chronic compressor stalls, and flamed out far too easily. The promised successor, the J40, was cancelled for falling behind schedule and failing to deliver the required performance. Westinghouse engines ended up taking a lot of blame for the failure and deaths associated with the F3H Demon in particular, and Westinghouse left the engine business in the 1960s after losing contracts to GE and P&W. The J34 wasn't the only Navy engine to gently caress up a promising design and kill a bunch of dudes (looking at you, TF30) but being the weak link in so many early Navy programs due to failure to innovate or deliver on time irreparably tarnished the brand.

Don't forget the Gutless Cutlass.

Pretend I posted the account of the Blue Angels first of this aircraft in its "solo demo" role that it flew with them for like 3 shows total before they retired it because they quickly realized it was going to kill someone (and potentially a whole lot of spectators too). The first performance involves a complete loss of hydraulics in the middle of a "max performance"* climb followed by losing so much altitude that the plane clipped trees at the end of the runway before flaming the left engine out and finally recovering while leaving a flaming trail of hydro in the sky.

It sounds like quite a show as long as you weren't directly under the flight path.

* "Max performance" by Westinghouse standards.

e:

Casimir Radon posted:

I was watching this documentary one time that showed some Russian tank. Apparently the automated loading mechanism was really prone to mangling members of the crew.

"How the Russian Army Chorus gets its soprano section"

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 23, 2015

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
The f-22 is the cool one that is actually fuckin badass. Which one is the one that can take off vertically? Is that a function that, apart from being badass, is actually useful? What function does an air suppository jet serve when it can do that. Because aren't there mechanical trade offs like loosing lift and everyone dying in that design decision?

E: guys get it? I made a poop joke

Dunno man. Drones are 4 hover . Planes 4 fite

killmeimmafailure fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Apr 23, 2015

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
FYI I'm pretty sure everyone is going to ignore your posts until you stick to single-sentence, coherent questions and statements. Also maybe pictures ITT?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Pictured: A Brazilian active duty tank tank until the mid 90s

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Do they crew it with toddlers? That thing is tiny.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Do they crew it with toddlers? That thing is tiny.

Its a Sherman, upgraded with 70s era optics and some sloped armor and a smaller, more powerful diesel

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Do they crew it with flips?

There ya go

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

killmeimmafailure posted:

The f-22 is the cool one that is actually fuckin badass. Which one is the one that can take off vertically? Is that a function that, apart from being badass, is actually useful? What function does an air suppository jet serve when it can do that. Because aren't there mechanical trade offs like loosing lift and everyone dying in that design decision?

E: guys get it? I made a poop joke

Dunno man. Drones are 4 hover . Planes 4 fite

The tone of your posts makes me feel like I'm being mocked by a slow child.

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

at the date posted:

The tone of your posts makes me feel like I'm being mocked by a slow child.

Mongo just pawn

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
killmeimmafailure, post your favorite military picture not from activeduty.com

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

elite_garbage_man posted:

Oh I'm not military. I just have lots of friends and family who are/were. I'm disillusioned by college and I'm reading up on a bunch of poo poo so I don't get inappropriately touched if or when I sign up

I wanted to do the peace corp, but I'm thinking about trying to be a linguist or something

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Booblord Zagats posted:

You sure that's not based off the M3 Stuart? The hull looks a bit small for it to be from an M4.

killmeimmafailure posted:

Oh I'm not military. I just have lots of friends and family who are/were. I'm disillusioned by college and I'm reading up on a bunch of poo poo so I don't get inappropriately touched if or when I sign up

I wanted to do the peace corp, but I'm thinking about trying to be a linguist or something

Get your degree and then enlist in the Marines. That is definitely the best method for you to make something of yourself.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Booblord Zagats posted:

Its a Sherman, upgraded with 70s era optics and some sloped armor and a smaller, more powerful diesel

I dare say you're wrong my good chap.
That Brazilian abortion is built on an M3 Stuart light tank chassis. If the Sherman is a BBC, that thing is a TAC.

Road wheels, size, etc give it away...

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Thump! posted:

You sure that's not based off the M3 Stuart? The hull looks a bit small for it to be from an M4.

Get your degree and then enlist in the Marines. That is definitely the best method for you to make something of yourself.

You beat me to the punch, and related article
http://www.milweb.net/features/m3a1_stuart_tank.php

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is my favorite Brazilian Stuart upgrade, the X1A:

90mm gun.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

This is my favorite Brazilian Stuart upgrade, the X1A:

90mm gun.

hmm yes there is no way this was posted in this thread or on this very page in fact

Booblord Zagats posted:

ohh...

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

Don't forget the Gutless Cutlass.

Pretend I posted the account of the Blue Angels first of this aircraft in its "solo demo" role that it flew with them for like 3 shows total before they retired it because they quickly realized it was going to kill someone (and potentially a whole lot of spectators too). The first performance involves a complete loss of hydraulics in the middle of a "max performance"* climb followed by losing so much altitude that the plane clipped trees at the end of the runway before flaming the left engine out and finally recovering while leaving a flaming trail of hydro in the sky.

It sounds like quite a show as long as you weren't directly under the flight path.
I meant Cutlass. No idea why I typed Demon.

Still, I love the style of the early jet age (because I flew the good parts of it.)

F4D Skyray, powered by the venerable P&W J57.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Pictured: A destroyer.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

CMD598 posted:

Pictured: A self defense destroyer.

son gay. so what
Mar 13, 2011

CMD598 posted:

Pictured: A seaman ship
Commenting on the 22DDH on Wednesday, China’s Defense Ministry said, “We are concerned over Japan's constant expansion of its military equipment. Japan's Asian neighbors and the international community need to be highly vigilant about this trend. Japan should learn from history, adhere to its policy of self-defense and abide by its promise to take the road of peaceful development.”

Lmbo China

son gay. so what fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 24, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
:lol: Let's publicly offer Japan a dual-key arrangement.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
It's pretty awesome because if the US isn't going to call them on their bullshit, nobody else really can.
And we can let them do this kind of thing because if they get out of control we can just nuke them again.

son gay. so what
Mar 13, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's pretty awesome because if the US isn't going to call them on their bullshit, nobody else really can.
And we can let them do this kind of thing because if they get out of control we can just nuke them again.

I don't get why the whole "Japan no aircraft carrier for you" thing is a thing anymore.

As what is the most reliable ally of the U.S and friends in the area, wouldn't you guys want them to have a badass military? Italy had some weird restrictions but they've been gone forever

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MegaJoe89 posted:

I don't get why the whole "Japan no aircraft carrier for you" thing is a thing anymore.

As what is the most reliable ally of the U.S and friends in the area, wouldn't you guys want them to have a badass military? Italy had some weird restrictions but they've been gone forever

Have you seen Japanese porn? Somewhere deep down you know those people are hosed up on a fundamental level. Can't trust 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Stultus Maximus posted:

Have you seen Japanese porn? Somewhere deep down you know those people are hosed up on a fundamental level. Can't trust 'em.

Personally, I just avoid the porn section at Yodobashi.

• Locked thread