Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
I came in here recently and was asking about phones and had the Moto X suggested to me. Someone said they had a $100 off coupon... Right now I'm thinking I might not be able to make it to the phone upgrade with Verizon and should maybe go ahead and just get a phone, after almost getting lost while Google Maps kept freezing today. It's been a while since I've been in the thread and I can't remember who had mentioned it before.... I still think I might get the Sony Xperia 3 due to battery life.... but it depends on any kind of sales or coupons anyone might be able to point me towards. Is there anything big going on that would work as a decent discount within the next few weeks?

Sorry if the post is lovely, it's been a hectic week with a lot of poo poo, my father's death, all the post death poo poo, and just my loving phone pissing me off to the point of murder. I was hoping to wait til my contract renewal, but I'm getting so pissed at so many things loving up and needing to be replaced right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

MaxDuo posted:

Sorry if the post is lovely, it's been a hectic week with a lot of poo poo, my father's death, all the post death poo poo, and just my loving phone pissing me off to the point of murder. I was hoping to wait til my contract renewal, but I'm getting so pissed at so many things loving up and needing to be replaced right now.

Bad phone is a weird reason to murder your father

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

MaxDuo posted:

I came in here recently and was asking about phones and had the Moto X suggested to me. Someone said they had a $100 off coupon... Right now I'm thinking I might not be able to make it to the phone upgrade with Verizon and should maybe go ahead and just get a phone, after almost getting lost while Google Maps kept freezing today. It's been a while since I've been in the thread and I can't remember who had mentioned it before.... I still think I might get the Sony Xperia 3 due to battery life.... but it depends on any kind of sales or coupons anyone might be able to point me towards. Is there anything big going on that would work as a decent discount within the next few weeks?

The $250 2014 Moto X is a freaking great deal.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Stick100 posted:

The $250 2014 Moto X is a freaking great deal.

A freaking great deal that won't work on Verizon.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Ragingsheep posted:

Ultra powersaver turns your screen to greyscale and limits the apps available. It's for when you just really need to save power but still be in contact.

What does regular power save do, just turn off syncing and whatnot?

As lovely as most Samsung things are, at least they try things?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

myron cope posted:

I imagine it's just the lollipop power saver, reduces the amount of syncing and make everything slow.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Vykk.Draygo posted:

A freaking great deal that won't work on Verizon.

IS this that ebay deal? I looked at it earlier and it said it was no longer available anyway.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I just found an interesting "feature" of Google Now--if you transcribe a text message with profanity in it while the screen is off, it won't let you send it only using your voice.

Steps to replicate:

1. From screen off: "Ok google, send a text message to (x) this is a loving text"
2. Wait for Google Now to ask if you want to send it
3. Confirm that you want to send it
4. Google Now repeats "do you want to send it" again
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you're saying "send it" with the best diction you've ever used in your life
5. Give up, press the blue send envelope button thing
6. Text message miraculously sends

I guess it's a pretty good security "feature" (i.e. no accidentally firing off verbally explicit messages while the phone is in your pocket) but as someone who swears an awful loving lot it's probably gonna be a minor annoyance.

Also for a very short time I had changed the screen off activation phrase from "OK Google" to "Computer". I realized the flaw in my plan when I said "computer" in a sentence and accidentally activated it, which made me laugh. Google Now interpreted my laugh as "youtube star trek sex". Not kidding.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lelandjs posted:

Google Now interpreted my laugh as "youtube star trek sex"

Sure, your "laugh"

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

myron cope posted:

HTC has both a regular power saver and super power saver mode on their phones, too.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Google has prudish autocorrect and I've had to add so much profanity manually to the dictionary. It won't fill in gently caress, but it also recognizes it's not misspelled. I know you know about these words google. Stop being loving weird about it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

lelandjs posted:

So I just found an interesting "feature" of Google Now--if you transcribe a text message with profanity in it while the screen is off, it won't let you send it only using your voice.

Steps to replicate:

1. From screen off: "Ok google, send a text message to (x) this is a loving text"
2. Wait for Google Now to ask if you want to send it
3. Confirm that you want to send it
4. Google Now repeats "do you want to send it" again
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you're saying "send it" with the best diction you've ever used in your life
5. Give up, press the blue send envelope button thing
6. Text message miraculously sends

I guess it's a pretty good security "feature" (i.e. no accidentally firing off verbally explicit messages while the phone is in your pocket) but as someone who swears an awful loving lot it's probably gonna be a minor annoyance.

Also for a very short time I had changed the screen off activation phrase from "OK Google" to "Computer". I realized the flaw in my plan when I said "computer" in a sentence and accidentally activated it, which made me laugh. Google Now interpreted my laugh as "youtube star trek sex". Not kidding.

That explains a lot of the problems I've been having. But I still managed to have sent my wife a thousand "I'm cumming" messages from me to the point where we don't even laugh about it anymore.

And no I never wrote or searched for cum on my phone before that!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

That explains a lot of the problems I've been having. But I still managed to have sent my wife a thousand "I'm cumming" messages from me to the point where we don't even laugh about it anymore.

And no I never wrote or searched for cum on my phone before that!

I'll admit I laughed out loud at this.

The main reason I don't use the Google stock keyboard is because of the profanity problems which is also why I don't use dictation since the Swype keyboard doesn't have a button for Google's voice input.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Android Megathread:The Search For Cum

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

I'll admit I laughed out loud at this.

The main reason I don't use the Google stock keyboard is because of the profanity problems which is also why I don't use dictation since the Swype keyboard doesn't have a button for Google's voice input.

The built-in voice engine in Swype really isn't that bad anymore. I use it all the time.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Goodpancakes posted:

Google has prudish autocorrect and I've had to add so much profanity manually to the dictionary. It won't fill in gently caress, but it also recognizes it's not misspelled. I know you know about these words google. Stop being loving weird about it.

Duck you too.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

The main reason I don't use the Google stock keyboard is because of the profanity problems.
Just add your curses to the personal dictionary and they'll work with gesture typing.

I'd test voice input but I'm mute.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Just bought a LG G2 and rooted it via Stump Root. I also updated it to Lollipop. Since then I apparently lost the root, Stump Root still acts like the device is rooted and have been trying to figure it out. Was using this guide http://highonandroid.com/android-smartphones/how-to-root-lg-g-flex-2-g2-g3-on-lollipop/

And can't seem to get it to work. The download mode gets stuck at 0% and the driver failed to install. The box at the bottom says USER B84. Honestly I'm a bit confused because this is my first Android phone and I just wanted to install a volume boost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CortezFantastic fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 24, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

CortezFantastic posted:

Just bought a LG G2 and rooted it via Stump Root. I also updated it to Lollipop. Since then I apparently lost the root, Stump Root still acts like the device is rooted and have been trying to figure it out. Was using this guide http://highonandroid.com/android-smartphones/how-to-root-lg-g-flex-2-g2-g3-on-lollipop/

And can't seem to get it to work. The download mode gets stuck at 0% and the driver failed to install. The box at the bottom says USER B84. Honestly I'm a bit confused because this is my first Android phone and I just wanted to install a volume boost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We have a rooted thread.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

My apologies.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

Just add your curses to the personal dictionary and they'll work with gesture typing.

I'd test voice input but I'm mute.

I thought if you did that it will suggest them but never insert them? Like you swipe "gently caress" cleanly but "Duck" is put in the message and you can use the suggestion bar to switch that to gently caress?

I could've sworn we went over this a few months ago and everyone decided there was no way to get it to actually use profanity the first time on a swiped word, that it always had to be manually selected?

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

I just tried swiping "gently caress" and it put it right in.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I could've sworn we went over this a few months ago and everyone decided there was no way to get it to actually use profanity the first time on a swiped word, that it always had to be manually selected?

e: I was going to make a video but that's way too much effort.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

lelandjs posted:

Google Now's voice transcription accuracy is based on what Google knows about you.

Google knows that you like Star Trek, Sex, and use Youtube.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Merv Burger posted:

I just tried swiping "gently caress" and it put it right in.

butt dickus posted:

e: I was going to make a video but that's way too much effort.

I'll have to give Google Keyboard a shot again the next time Swype decides to gently caress something up. So the next update.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Lowen SoDium posted:

Google Now's voice transcription accuracy is based on what Google knows about you.

Chris Hansen is already on his way

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lowen SoDium posted:

You're not wrong, but I can safely say that I've never wanted that combination of words to appear in a search together.

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011
Does anyone know if there is a way to disable the screen on button, in the middle of the capacitive buttons, on Samsung phones? I have a cheap Galaxy Ace Style work phone and it seems like every time I put it in my pocket the screen comes on. This is especially annoying after having just used it and having it call back or text/email random numbers in my phone.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

LastInLine posted:

I thought if you did that it will suggest them but never insert them? Like you swipe "gently caress" cleanly but "Duck" is put in the message and you can use the suggestion bar to switch that to gently caress?

This is how it is for me. Always does either duck or guck no matter how precise I am.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

nerve posted:

This is how it is for me. Always does either duck or guck no matter how precise I am.
Did you add them to your personal dictionary? Like, you have to go to the personal dictionary screen from Google Keyboard settings:

Tap the + and then enter your bad words. There's no save button so just hit the arrow in the top left after each word. I can gesture type "ok gently caress my gay rear end you poo poo dong fucker haha" and the only one it will get wrong is "as" instead of "rear end."

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
But personal dictionaries don't transfer between phones, which means I look like a psycho just typing curses into my phone for a half hour every timer I get a new device or factory reset it (not often, but I have had to do it twice in the past 3 months).

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I only have a dozen words in mine so it's never been a big deal to me but maybe you could try this? It's really stupid that Google's cloud-oriented operating system doesn't sync user dictionaries.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="444479975"]
But personal dictionaries don't transfer between phones, which means I look like a psycho just typing curses into my phone for a half hour every timer I get a new device or factory reset it (not often, but I have had to do it twice in the past 3 months).

This is why I use swiftkey, uploads to the cloud. Keeps things synced between phone and tablet as well.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
My diztronic tpu arrived and it's way better than the spigen hybrid. Much thinner. On the other hand, I've got an air dock 2 arriving next week and now I find out this thing won't stick to it? What case do I get now?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

butt dickus posted:

I only have a dozen words in mine so it's never been a big deal to me but maybe you could try this? It's really stupid that Google's cloud-oriented operating system doesn't sync user dictionaries.

Oo, hopefully they works.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Got a new Nexus 6 and did the Tap & Go. For whatever reason, it acted like it was working, but didn't actually transfer anything. I got no error messages or anything like that. Is there some way to start it again? I can't seem to find it.

EDIT: Nevermind, just did a factory reset and started all over again. This time it seems to be transferring things.

Mnemosyne fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 25, 2015

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Seems like there's something about the Walgreens app that causes my Nexus 4 to hang and need to reset every 2 hours. Solved by simply living without that app.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Man, I wish the Verizon store I popped into the other day had had an X in addition to the locked-up one. I've been reading comparisons between it and the Turbo and I'm starting to lean more towards the X, but I would rather not need to get a new car mount. Stupid first-world problems.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I found an ebay store selling the older Motox for like 130 quid, they have to be knockoffs right?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Motorola-Moto-X-XT1058-Unlocked-Mobile-Phone-16GB-10-0MP-Camera-Black-/251605382747

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

track day bro! posted:

I found an ebay store selling the older Motox for like 130 quid, they have to be knockoffs right?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Motorola-Moto-X-XT1058-Unlocked-Mobile-Phone-16GB-10-0MP-Camera-Black-/251605382747

No, they're just the really old now.

The $399 + $100 Amazon GC on Amazon for a new ATT LG G3 is such a good deal right now.