Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001
:yayclod:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

i'm the modern application

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
literally worse than a linux now

all they need to do is take a giant poo poo all over the backwards compat

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

literally worse than a linux now

all they need to do is take a giant poo poo all over the backwards compat

removing the ability to start programs from the Start menu is a good start.

start start start

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

how many shut down options are we up to now. I need at least 8 or no-buy.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
shut down wandows ngrmadly

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

pseudorandom name posted:

the infuriating thing is that Windows genuinely desperately needs application sandboxing, except they tied it to their tablet app garbage that nobody wants
because the win32 ecosystem is full of lovely developers backwards compatibility so they can't touch it

remember how everything broke when vista actually started enforcing stuff

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Luigi Thirty posted:

listening to next cube over bitching about windows 10

exchange settings are all in powershell
they're removing performance monitors and making them powershell commands. lol
That doesn't seem so

quote:

managed updates aren't supported in win10 pro, only enterprise

quote:

only enterprise
:stare:

People are going to riot over that one

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
i let my computer install updates yesterday. it doesnt start anymore

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
which is perfect since i have a presentation today

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Just log in to a friends computer from iCloud.com

Your Keynote presentation is saved and viewable there.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You meant to write docs.google.com - it's what the pros use.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Old news, but I just realized that Windows 8.1 with Bing is not actually something the 'POS just came up with to be funny. they actually sell a product named that. somebody, somewhere was paid money to come up with that, and somebody was paid even more money to look at it and go "Yep, that¨s good. Lets ship this!".

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
auto repair fixed it but somehow all my app.configs in every visual studio project disappeared

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

refleks posted:

Old news, but I just realized that Windows 8.1 with Bing is not actually something the 'POS just came up with to be funny. they actually sell a product named that. somebody, somewhere was paid money to come up with that, and somebody was paid even more money to look at it and go "Yep, that¨s good. Lets ship this!".
it's almost a year old :toot:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Maximum Leader posted:

i let my computer install updates yesterday. it doesnt start anymore

this happened twice to one machine I have before they released a patch to help when patches don't roll back properly

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

jre posted:

That doesn't seem so

Microsoft apparently does not trust businesses to patch their own poo poo but they trust enterprises? lol

I work with MSPs and they're so loving mad because it will be impossible to manage their clients' updates but they're also convinced it'll be changed before release

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 24, 2015

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

Microsoft apparently does not trust businesses to patch their own poo poo but they trust enterprises? lol

I work with MSPs and they're so loving mad because it will be impossible to manage their clients' updates but they're also convinced it'll be changed before release

good to see microsoft still diligently working towards completely loving small MSPs

of course the long-term goal is to cut them out completely with their own services, why get an MSP when you can just buy a yearly subscription to Microsoft Azure with Bing! Windows for Computer Workgroups 10.11 (subscription includes office 365 pro, communicator lync skype for business and a gazillion terabytes on skydrive onedrive halo drive)

too bad no business is ever gonna go for that

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

jre posted:

2015 is the year of linux on the corporate desktop

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
how little of a gently caress do you have to have about design to ever release something like this publicly

i mean how

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

how little of a gently caress do you have to have about design to ever release something like this publicly

i mean how

:psypop: looooooooollll

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i mean how

I'm the

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

i mean how

remember when kde was a joke?

well even kde didn't have poo poo like that

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i mean how

okay i'm the

• authentically digital save icon
  • X that means cancel right next to the X that means exit
  • lack of border between the purple strip and the form text
  • huge inconsistent border between the purple strip and Save To Microsoft Account
  • random underlining and colouring of the form headers
  • vertically uncentered text in the form boxes
  • inconsistent length of the form text fields

• whitespace
  • whatever the gently caress that half circle is
  • People
  • People

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
im the neowin graphic in the window which isnt even a microsoft brand that i've heard of before

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

its almost as if its the sort of design you get when everything is dictated by a 3rd degree of separation VP who emails you digital stylus red-circled markup of all your work from their executive retreat's spa lounge

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Sniep posted:

im the neowin graphic in the window which isnt even a microsoft brand that i've heard of before

that's a watermark from the site that took the screenshot

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

SIGSEGV posted:

remember when kde was a joke?

well even kde didn't have poo poo like that

i installed kubuntu 15.04 on a machine yesterday. plasma 5 actually solves some of the inconsistencies, making win 8 and 10 looking like a jumbled mess of poo poo now

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

i mean how

that looks like when i'm writing fresh html without any css just to get the skeleton of something in place

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Phoenixan posted:

i installed kubuntu 15.04 on a machine yesterday. plasma 5 actually solves some of the inconsistencies, making win 8 and 10 looking like a jumbled mess of poo poo now

now windows is the joke and kde the acceptable option

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Pinterest Mom posted:

that's a watermark from the site that took the screenshot

don't explain the joke

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

that looks like when i'm writing fresh html without any css just to get the skeleton of something in place

even in the roughest drafts of poo poo I do I can at least manage some degree of alignment so it's readable to my own eyes, let alone a public beta that is going out to millions of potential customers

then again this is the company that released a preview that couldn't launch w32 apps from the start menu

pram
Jun 10, 2001

i mean how

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

- Old man Ballmer in his sweat-stained safari regalia looks on and grins. He leans on his walking stick, atop which is a ball of amber containing an SD card with the original MS-DOS source code which made the whole thing possible -

"Welcome...to Windows 10."

- John Williams' Symphony begins performing CANYON.MID -

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I'm the interface inferior to gnome 3

pram
Jun 10, 2001

univbee posted:

- Old man Ballmer in his sweat-stained safari regalia looks on and grins. He leans on his walking stick, atop which is a ball of amber containing an SD card with the original MS-DOS source code which made the whole thing possible -

"Welcome...to Windows 10."

- John Williams' Symphony begins performing CANYON.MID -

lol

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

this isn't performing like poo poo, something's up

pram
Jun 10, 2001
microsoft is providing enterprise-class laughs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

is that a giant anime sweat drop 😓

• Locked thread