Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

eternalname posted:

Somewhere a number of pages back there was a debate over whether perry's 'oops' moment was really a big enough deal to shut him out as a serious candidate, and why he's still perceived as a joke. I was thinking about that the other day and if I remember correctly, his comments about anyone wanting to deny some sort of benefit to illegals (in state tuition?)being "heartless" did him in well before that.

Perry actually had a number of instances where he embarrassed himself, the "oops" thing just happened to be the most notable one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Alex DeLarge posted:

Pills, and them dang ol' glasses!

Well there's those two things and, importantly, also his...err, I mean he is known for... uhh.

Opps.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

PupsOfWar posted:

The crazy field will dry up quickly if the Establishment are able to hold them out of the debates and events. I'm sure if Reince had his way the debates would just be Jeb, Rubio, Walker and maybe one carefully-vetted crazy person for favorable contrast.

There's still 3-4 real contenders who could go a long way. Mitt was polling much better than Jeb is currently back in 2012, and it took him forever to shake Santorum off of him. Meanwhile Hillary will most likely have things wrapped up by the end of February.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Zwabu posted:

Perry actually had a number of instances where he embarrassed himself, the "oops" thing just happened to be the most notable one.

I will always love Perry just a little bit based on that maple syrup video. I could only hope to be so high that maple syrup delights me in such a way.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Well there's those two things and, importantly, also his...err, I mean he is known for... uhh.

Opps.

This joke will never fail to make me giggle :allears:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Dolash posted:

Obama's debates were must-watch TV and I think the same will be true for Hillary's. If it's her vs. Bush the Iraq issue alone is going to make for some convoluted answers.

If it's her vs. Bush, it won't be hard to walk back her position on Iraq and make Jeb look bad. "Your brother lied to America about the evidence for invading Iraq, so I like most people thought it seemed like a good idea at the time. Meanwhile, you've hired most of your brother's foreign policy team to be your foreign policy team, and Americans do not want us to repeat the mistakes of the last Bush administration." It's territory so toxic that Bush will want to avoid it entirely. Unless it's something like the 47% thing where he has a canned rebuttal so good that Hillary decides to avoid pressing the issue, but I don't see how that's possible.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I think if there's one thing Hillary won't want to do it's face her Iraq war vote head on. Hitting Bush on it just opens her up to accusations of being a flip-flopper who voted for political expedience and only turned against the Iraq War when it became politically convenient, i.e. when Obama used it to beat her - and they're pretty much right on that point.

Tim Kreider back in '08 had a good bit on it that captured how the American left felt about Hillary's Iraq war vote, how if there's ever a moment to cash in your chips and stop playing politics to stand on the right side of history then that was one of them, but she went along with it for fear that if the war proved popular it'd risk her Presidential ambitions. The karmic irony is that it did, and not for the reason she thought. "Oh well the Bush administration misled us all" is pretty weak tea for a Senator who almost certainly knew better than Joe Schmoe who was being fed a line about Saddam being behind 9/11.

She's still better than a Bush though, since while she might've voted for the Iraq War another Bush is how you get its big-budget Iran sequel.

Edit: Even if JEB's family are the ones who burned Iraq twice, by voting for it in the Senate Hillary did more to materially support the Bush invasions than JEB ever has. JEB might find it hard to use that against her directly, but it's a good below-the-belt shot against left-wing voters who even in this thread are already despairing of having to choose between two hawks.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 24, 2015

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
What is even the case for bombing/invading Iran? I mean, especially after this nuclear deal. Is it just "lie about their nuclear capacity/designs on America"?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lancelot posted:

What is even the case for bombing/invading Iran? I mean, especially after this nuclear deal. Is it just "lie about their nuclear capacity/designs on America"?

Probably? They literally chant "Death to America" and may or may not be tryingto build nuclear weapons, the only reason it's a harder sell than Iraq 2 is that we kicked rear end in Iraq 1 and it looked like we were kicking rear end in Afghanistan at the time, where now any military involvement in the middle east looks like a potential huge cluster gently caress resulting in unnecessary American deaths (which it probably would be).

I seriously don't think we should invade Iran, but I know the war hawk case for it, and it's about the same as when John McCain briefly sung that classic children's song.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

AndNowMax posted:

Honestly I suspect the answer is

No human being has ever waited with anticipation for Mitt Romney. This includes Ann Romney

nachos posted:

They've found him and his name is Scott Walker

That ain't generic, its defective goods.

Lancelot posted:

"But they're BROWN!"

What more case do you need?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the mitt documentary is pretty good, u worthless piles of decomposing pos should watch it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Orkin Mang posted:

the mitt documentary is pretty good, u worthless piles of decomposing pos should watch it

Mitt Romney is both a member of this forum and hasn't bothered to watch his own documentary?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

Probably? They literally chant "Death to America" and may or may not be tryingto build nuclear weapons, the only reason it's a harder sell than Iraq 2 is that we kicked rear end in Iraq 1 and it looked like we were kicking rear end in Afghanistan at the time, where now any military involvement in the middle east looks like a potential huge cluster gently caress resulting in unnecessary American deaths (which it probably would be).

I seriously don't think we should invade Iran, but I know the war hawk case for it, and it's about the same as when John McCain briefly sung that classic children's song.
Yeah but you don't have the same "we're going in to save the oppressed civilians from their murderous dictator" angle with Iran, right? Like you have a moderate president who has been making overtures to the West, how do you pivot from that to "we gotta kill them browns!!"?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Lancelot posted:

Regime change to something that favours the US.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Lancelot posted:

Yeah but you don't have the same "we're going in to save the oppressed civilians from their murderous dictator" angle with Iran, right? Like you have a moderate president who has been making overtures to the West, how do you pivot from that to "we gotta kill them browns!!"?

Americans don't know poo poo about Iran other than they held some Americans hostage during Carter and they've been 6 months away from a nuke for the past 30+ years. Convincing the public comes down more to whether or not Americans are fatigued from the last decade of the War on Terror. If Americans are okay with being at war in general then it does not seem like it would be especially difficult to pull another "weapons of mass destruction" PR campaign to drum up support for a conflict.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

Mitt Romney is both a member of this forum and hasn't bothered to watch his own documentary?

typical

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I love sleeping with hot Persian women so I would definitely be against a war with Iran.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The lesson from the Iraq War is probably that if a President wants a war they're gonna get that war no matter the "hard sell". Saving the Iraqi people was only ever maybe a reluctant third on the list of reasons given to invade Iraq, and only grew to prominence when every other reason to invade Iraq turned out to be bunk after the fact.

If the neocon policy shop gets back into the White House it'll jettison the Iran deal quick as a flash, bomb any perceived Nuclear sites with missiles to "protect Israel", and when that provokes some kind of retaliation from Iran to seize on as casus belli for bulldozing the entire country. Hell, seizing on ISIS as a pretext to re-invade Iraq and set up bases to launch an attack on Iran (probably proceeding back through Iraq again to clear out Iranian influence on their way in) would be on the agenda day one.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
'puh-AH'~ prince of persia

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dolash posted:

If the neocon policy shop gets back into the White House it'll jettison the Iran deal quick as a flash, bomb any perceived Nuclear sites with missiles to "protect Israel", and when that provokes some kind of retaliation from Iran to seize on as casus belli for bulldozing the entire country. Hell, seizing on ISIS as a pretext to re-invade Iraq and set up bases to launch an attack on Iran (probably proceeding back through Iraq again to clear out Iranian influence on their way in) would be on the agenda day one.
Ah-hah, thanks, this is what I was looking for.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Mitt was polling much better than Jeb is currently back in 2012, and it took him forever to shake Santorum off of him.
:golfclap:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/25/us/politics/paleo-diet-in-and-pizza-out-a-slimmer-jeb-bush-seems-intent-on-staying-that-way.html

quote:

Was it true, the guest asked him, that a stomach shrinks during a diet, easing the pangs of hunger? Not at all, Mr. Bush replied.

“I am always hungry,” he said.

Jeb Bush is thinking of running for president. And he is starving.

As he prepares to challenge an almost universally younger and svelter field of Republican rivals, Mr. Bush has adopted a drastic weight-loss program that is melting away pounds at a staggering rate even as it inflicts an unhappy toll: regular bouts of dietary crankiness

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

At least he's not always thirsty, like John Edwards or Bill Clinton.

Also, why was Clinton Boo'd off the stage in 1988's DNC?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

VanSandman posted:

At least he's not always thirsty, like John Edwards or Bill Clinton.

I seem to recall a story from his autobiography about how his speech was a long, rambling mess and it was widely predicted that it'd be the end of him in politics.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I love sleeping with hot Persian women so I would definitely be against a war with Iran.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

Meanwhile, with his son running for President, Ron is running these ads (click to listen):

I took out the address of the site he wants you to go to because it had a bunch of script popups and other nonsense.

I always trust websites that try to keep me from closing their tab.

Joementum posted:

Want to know about about this? Well, here's a video from Alex Jones about how this is a conspiracy to link up Walmarts using underground tunnels for the military to turn the stores into FEMA deathcamps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIalJZeKwbw

That account has some really good videos on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRj2qMLq8SY

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 24, 2015

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

quote:

The rigid abstemiousness runs the risk of putting him at a dietary distance from an American electorate that still binges on carbohydrates and, after eight years of a tea-sipping president, craves a relatable eater-in-chief.

Breaking bread with Iowans? Try having almonds, Mr. Bush’s preferred high-protein snack food.

Bonding over hamburgers in New Hampshire? How about salad with grilled chicken, his monotonous go-to lunch.

During a meeting with veterans in Colorado Springs a few days ago, a thick stack of pancakes was placed in front of Mr. Bush at an IHOP, along with a second platter of eggs, bacon and hash browns. The veterans dug in. Mr. Bush left his breakfast untouched, to the disappointment of the restaurant’s staff.

Is America Ready For A Paleo President?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
As stupid as the idea sounds, the fact that Jeb Bush is dieting so rigidly could actually hurt him in the primaries. Part of bonding with voters is eating whatever horrible local food they put in front of you (see: Fred Thompson eating moose chili).

...but since when was Obama a "tea-sipping President"? The man ate at Ben's Chili Bowl and like every other junk food joint in DC. Oh, right, I forgot. He put loving Grey Poupon on his burgers, that elitist.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 24, 2015

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Alter Ego posted:

As stupid as the idea sounds, the fact that Jeb Bush is dieting so rigidly could actually hurt him in the primaries. Part of bonding with voters is eating whatever horrible local food they put in front of you (see: Fred Thompson eating moose chili).

...but since when was Obama a "tea-sipping President"? The man ate at Ben's Chili Bowl and like every other junk food joint in DC. Oh, right, I forgot. He put loving Grey Poupon on his burgers, that elitist.

Doesn't that come from the well-known fact that the President loves Honest Tea? I remember some puff piece about Reggie Love, the president's old body man, and he said he always had to keep some nearby/on-hand.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Alter Ego posted:

That obvious opinion being stated as an outright fact isn't what surprises me. The fact that it's the NYT writing that sentence though....

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

VanSandman posted:

At least he's not always thirsty, like Marco Rubio.

And what Alter Ego said, though I think a lot of people saw him as trying to campaign for himself in advance rather than promote Dukakis. Like Christie's speech, though I haven't listened to or read either.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Saturday should be fun. You have the March for Marriage in DC but more importantly

No Jeb or Christie

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I can't remember, between the US and Iran, which country has nearly half of its sitting politicians actively pushing to bomb, invade, and occupy the other?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

richardfun posted:

That obvious opinion being stated as an outright fact isn't what surprises me. The fact that it's the NYT writing that sentence though....

Obama had said something about liking Honest T's Black Forest Berry tea way back in the '08 primary. I agree with him that it's really good, but it isn't a hot tea and it isn't a sipping tea. It isn't even really sweet, but it's really good.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

just pump some goddamn iron and run around and you won't have to limit your caloric intake that way, jeb

why are the gentry so afraid of serious exercise

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

PupsOfWar posted:

just pump some goddamn iron and run around and you won't have to limit your caloric intake that way, jeb

why are the gentry so afraid of serious exercise

I agree that exercise is important, but what takes more time out of a very busy person's schedule? Eating less calories or dedicating time to changing, working out, showering afterward, changing back into regular apparel?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

PupsOfWar posted:

A sixty-two year old is not going to be doing sufficient physical activity to not have to be mindful of how much he's eating if he wants to lose weight. Particularly not, as mlmp08 points out, while simultaneously running for president.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Martin O'Malley is on board with income based college loan repayment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3e633xC0VU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

I agree that exercise is important, but what takes more time out of a very busy person's schedule? Eating less calories or dedicating time to changing, working out, showering afterward, changing back into regular apparel?

Showering is for people who can't pay others not to react to how bad they smell.

Sir Kodiak posted:

A sixty-two year old is not going to be doing sufficient physical activity to not have to be mindful of how much he's eating if he wants to lose weight. Particularly not, as mlmp08 points out, while simultaneously running for president.

J.E.B. should know that a man who is not strong enough to pull off a solid 3,500 calory/day diet is not strong enough to be Leader of the Free World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Saturday should be fun. You have the March for Marriage in DC but more importantly

No Jeb or Christie

There's also the White House Correspondents' Dinner tomorrow.

Speaking of which, do we normally have a separate thread for that, or are we allowed to do TV IV-style posting in these threads?

• Locked thread